The Hunger

Discussion in 'General' started by johnmar, Nov 23, 2001.

1. johnmar

johnmar Guest

Does anyone have any info about a DVD release of "The Hunger" by Tony Scott? I absolutely love this movie and it's surprising that I haven't heard anything about it being release on DVD.

2. cjg

cjg Active Member

Susan Sarandon topless YES

3. Reverenddave

Reverenddave Member

From the MGM Home Video Chat at Home Theater Forum on March 6, 2001:

QUESTION - Also, I was wondering if you can comment on any plans for these excellent unreleased titles: a). <b>The Hunger </b> ('83DavidBowie,SusanSarandon OAR:2.35:1),b). and State of Grace (Gary Oldman, Ed Harris OAR:1.85:1), c). Deceiver('97) (TimRoth, Michael Rooker OAR:2.35:1).

ANSWER - All 3 titles are scheduled for 2002.

QUESTION - Not sure if this was asked, but is Wild at Heart and <b>The Hunger</b> coming?

ANSWER - Wild at Heart is not our title. <b>The Hunger</b> is under consideration for a future release.

--------------------------------------------

From the Digital Bits Rumor Mill on October 19, 2001:

"Among the many titles MGM has in production for DVD in 2002 are special editions of ...<b> The Hunger</b>."

--------------------------------------------

From the MGM section of DVD File's Studio Day Report on September 29, 2001:

"Some oft-asked about titles are also on the way, including ... <b>The Hunger</b>."

4. johnmar

johnmar Guest

Thanks for the info, Reverenddave.

5. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i thought i saw her boob. otherwise-this movie: huh? :hum:

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Watched this one tonight, and while I am a fan of David Bowie, the 80s, vampires, and topless lesbian vampires, The Hunger lost me. It was just kinda goofy, with a great, classic 80s opening ("Bela Lugosi is Dead"), and then...I don't know what. Why was Bowie aging so rapidly, but his sire was not? Why was that guy roller-skating in an alley, and why not kill him, really? And was that Willem Dafoe?

Not sure what to make of this one.

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yes, the beginning is remarkable and makes great use of Bauhaus musically and in appearance (was it the full band or just Peter Murphy in this scene-it's been a while).

It definitely slows down after the opening scene but I found it to still be very entertaining. You just have to be in the right mood. Not an adrenalin rush kind of film.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Saw it in the theater many moons ago.Remember it as being stylish but odd.Good makeup.Tony Scott went more commercial in his later films.

9. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

Short answer: There was some kind of in-story rational.

Long answer: Major critical interpretations of The Hunger center around AIDS, as does much academic discussion of vampire literature and film from the '80s and early '90s. Vampirisim = insatiable sexuality and the exchange of blood = risky sex. Bowie's rapid deterioration in The Hunger is commonly viewed as a metaphor for contracting and dying from the disease.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

interesting. haven't seen it in a long time, maybe its time to revisit.

11. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

The Hunger is probably the greatest movie ever made.

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

But, he would have caught it from Catherine Deneuve's character, who did not show signs of this metaphor, which brings me back to my question. :confused:

edit: unless he caught it from that guy(?) in the beginning, which I think was the only other time we saw Bowie's vampire feed. Maybe. Interesting interpretation. I didn't account for the time period when I considered that plot...point.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  13. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

My understanding from age-old recollection is that Deneuve is some sort of vampire queen, giving her eternal life and youth. All of her lovers, while long-lived eventually decay but do not die. That is the point of the room that she "buries" Bowie in.

14. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

@Workshed: I haven't seen The Hunger or read the essays about its relationship with sexuality and AIDS in is such a long time that I can't be sure. You can find some mentions of it in Google Scholar, but it didn't turn up the specific essay I was thinking of.

@Anaestheus: Yeah, something like that. Deneuve can be seen in very brief flashbacks as a vampire in ancient Egypt. I can't remember if they actually say it or not, but I think the assumption is that she cannot or will not make a vampire companion that lives forever.

15. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I don't know how hard I'd push the vapirism-as-AIDS-metaphor in reference to The Hunger. I don't think AIDS was quite in the public consciousness in 1983 the way it is now.