The Crazies Remake

Discussion in 'General' started by tyuun, May 19, 2004.

1. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just saw this tonight for the first time (I've never seen the original either) and I really enjoyed it.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I don't agree that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was anything more than a pile of shit, but I do agree The Crazies is probably the best remake of the last 13 years. Though I've yet to see Let Me In, it's on my list. And... I haven't seen The Grudge but The Ring wasn't so great, so, I'm leaning toward The Crazies > The Grudge until I get a chance to see it.

That being said, I was still disappointed in Crazies. It did something that was long-in-coming: get real actors. The kind who never do horror. But it still has a list of problems in my book. And, small though it is, the items affect huge chunks of the movie and scenes that the movie can't get along without.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was pleasantly surprised by the remake - surprised because I found Romero's version unengaging. It's been too long since I've seen either, but I found the remake exciting because of the pace it kept - the theme of paranoia is still very much there, but the movie is also one extended chase that doesn't let go. Romero's version moves along at a more leisurely pace, and it concludes on a tragically ironic note, where the remake is somewhat more frightening, as it lets the government take truly desperate measures to contain the outbreak.

4. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I too liked the remake but I also liked the original. I guess cause again Romero leaves you with this hopelessness at the end of the film & also a sadness cause you've grown to like these people in the hour & a half that you've gotten to know them & you route for them even know you can sense that all is lost. It's almost if not the same message George uses in his zombie films.