The Crazies Remake

Discussion in 'General' started by tyuun, May 19, 2004.

1. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. I thought that is had a sense of dread, especially in the first half of the movie. Much better than most of the remakes that are popping up as it never really felt like a remake to me.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Broke my strict "no remakes" policy to watch this one, based on the good overall reviews and the fact (like many have already mentioned) that Romero's original is far from being a flawless film.

But really, I didn't like it. I wanted to see more of the government coverup, and it barely gets passing mention. Mostly it's Timothy Oliphant on the run with his wife. Like others have said, we really don't see HOW crazy the Crazies are.

I was left wanting more, and probably still prefer Romero's version.

3. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I can sum the remake up in a single word : Boring

I just didn't care while watching it.....at all......and I have no real clue as to why......

4. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I'm surprised that anyone would prefer the original over the remake, which I thought was superior in just about every way, except for originality of course, but to each his own.

dmeister

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I actually thought the remake was pretty good too. I always found Romero's original had its fair share of problems, and was far from being one of his classic films.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

oh, i wanted to like it. I really did. You're all right, it's not one of Romero's best, and there was lots of room to improve. Unfortunately, this film did not. It tossed aside the few concepts that were done right in the original and concentrated on the least interesting parts. Kinda became a generic family-on-the-run story, with a few interesting set pieces. It didn't suck, but it was far from remarkable. And the original, as mediocre as it is, stuck with me a lot longer.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The remake allowed Blue Underground to release the original on Blu-Ray, thus I'm glad it exists. Neither film are really rather remarkable in any way.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

As far as it goes the remake is a decent film.The acting's fine,the production is sharp.It just lacks the subtext that the original had.The early 70's ''the world is going to hell and you can't trust the government" vibe of the original barely makes a dent in this version.Considering a lot of the tensions of today I'm surprised that this isn't a little bit deeper and darker.The original may be ''of it's time'' so to speak,but it really did have an immediacy that I think this one lacks.Even with it tight budget I think the original has a disturbing bleakness that this one lacks.As it is I think the new one is a solidly made variation of the "zombie" movie,I just think it could have been more.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

What was preventing them before the remake happened?

10. Slackjaw83

Probably lack of interest from the general public. As a rule, a new Special Edition DVD or Blu Ray of an original film will be released to coincide with the theatrical release of the remake, as interest from the general movie watching public is usually peaked at that point

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm looking at the Blue Underground catalog, and there are films a lot more obscure than The Crazies getting Blu-Ray release, without a remake being necessary. So can we please all get off this "remakes allow the original to get a special edition release" kick, 'cause it just ain't true.

12. Slackjaw83

Somewhere, "My Bloody Valentine" and the first few "Friday the 13th" films are disagreeing with you ;)

13. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I still haven't seen the original.

I thought the remake was slickly produced, but generic and utterly forgettable.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Bingo.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Look, I don't dispute that companies time the release of special editions to coincide with the remakes. But that DOES NOT mean that only the existance of a remake allows a studio to do the DVD of the original. Just because two events happen at the same time does not mean that they are connected. Since Blue Underground already released a special edition standard DVD of The Crazies, it's not a huge stretch that they would do a Blu of the same title. And again, here's the Blue Underground Blu-Ray slate if you don't believe me: http://www.blue-underground.com/category.php?category=19

One could just as easily say that Blue Underground released The Crazies because George Romero just had a film hit theaters, right? So we should all be thankful for the lame-ass film Survival of the Dead because it led to a Blu-Ray release of The Crazies.

Look up the difference between causality and correlation.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Look, I don't dispute that companies time the release of special editions to coincide with the remakes. But that DOES NOT mean that only the existance of a remake allows a studio to do the DVD of the original. Just because two events happen at the same time does not mean that they are connected. Since Blue Underground already released a special edition standard DVD of The Crazies, it's not a huge stretch that they would do a Blu of the same title. And again, here's the Blue Underground Blu-Ray slate if you don't believe me: http://www.blue-underground.com/category.php?category=19

One could just as easily say that Blue Underground released The Crazies because George Romero just had a film hit theaters, right? So we should all be thankful for the lame-ass film Survival of the Dead because it led to a Blu-Ray release of The Crazies.

Look up the difference between causality and correlation.

17. Slackjaw83

The only reason i'd dispute the "Romero instead of Remake" argument is because the remake was a major studio release with a nationwide release and a huge ad campaign as well. "Survival", at best, had a "limited" release (in fact, the closest theater to me in central PA was about 6 hours away), and most people (even horror fans) I've spoken to, assumed it was a festivals-only release then straight to home video. Most people I know that saw it didn't see it until Comcast On-Demand picked it up.

Im not saying it always happens, but, in this case, it seems pretty likely to me. The release could be a coincidence, but it just seems unlikely to me :

- Survival : 9-9-09
    - Blu ray : 2-23-10
    - Remake : 2-23-10

That said, you are absolutely correct : An obscure film doesn't NEED a remake for a special edition to come out, it just seems like everyone a remake does happen that a special edition of the original is right around the corner. It's like the old "All Apples are Fruits but not all Fruits are Apples" argument.

As to Blue Underground releasing special editions of even more obscure movies, it could be that they got ahold of the rights for really cheap, so cheap that it'd be easy to make their investment back. Not saying that's always the case, but I know of that kind of releasing happening pretty regularly in the home video world (how else can one describe the abundance of releases of the same Public Domain films that anyone can release?)

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

DeepDiscount has this on sale today.

Blu-ray is $13.98
    DVD is $9.58

Not bad, considering it was just released.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yup, I ordered the Blu-ray earlier. It said it was still In Stock, so we'll see...

20. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Just have to say...
    I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't perfect... there are a few changes that I would make if I were the director... but it was easily one of the best studio releases of recent memory and the best remake since at least The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It is also the first new horror film in several years that my wife & I both saw eye to eye on.