The Crazies Remake

Discussion in 'General' started by tyuun, May 19, 2004.

1. tyuun

tyuun New Member

Bloody-disgusting.com writes:

Paramount Pictures is going with The Crazies, setting up a remake of George Romero's 1972 horror-thriller with Michael Aguilar and Dean Georgaris to produce at their Penn Station shingle, according to Variety.

"The project will update the storyline of the original, in which inhabitants of a small Pennsylvania town are beset by death and insanity after a plane crash lets loose a secret biological weapon into the water supply.

The original was released in 1972, four years after Romero's debut with "Night of the Living Dead."

Romero, who directed and co-wrote the original pic with Paul McCollough, is exec producing. Par exec VP Ally Shearmur and veep Andrew Haas are overseeing for the studio while Katie Lim is supervising for Penn Station.

Penn Station signed a first-look deal with Paramount last year. Its projects include sci-fier "The Girl Who Could Fly"; comedy "The User," which Guy Walks Into a Bar is co-producing; and an adaptation of Michael Marshall Smith's sci-fi novel "Spares," with Vertigo Entertainment partners Roy Lee and Doug Davison."

I'm not sure about this but I'm hoping for the best. Damn people are really starting to sweat Romero's balls and it's about time!

2. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

What a moronic idea... Romero's original is one of the best, and most underrated, horror films of the 70s, and if the recent DOTD remake told us anything, it's that filmmakers should stop trying to update his work for modern times. Savini had some success with NOTLD, but that was over a decade ago...

3. Numania

Numania Guest

This is gay. Remakes are gay.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Outbreak 2: The Crazies is more like it I bet.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

THE CRAZIES was a seriously flawed film, notable only because it was a blueprint of sorts for DAWN OF THE DEAD. I think these are the kind of remakes they should be doing...ones of flawed films with good concepts. Sounds interesting to me.

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

The Crazies is not a good film - even the glorious Blue Underground with all their DVD magic could not turn this into a watchable experience. Underrated? Hardly. A remake can do nothing but make for a better experience, imo. The difference between this and DOTD, is that DOTD didn't need an update - this does.

7. and let's not forget the more hollywood is jockin' Romero, the more chance of Dead Reckoning

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, it can't be that bad, if Romero is supporting it and all.

9. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Of course it is... the film basically fell of the map and was overshadowed by Romero's dead films, which is a shame because it's a spectacular film in its own right. Great to see Blue Underground give it the treatment that it deserved.

Then again, I haven't seen a Romero film that I didn't enjoy... :banana:

10. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

--Of course it is... the film basically fell of the map and was overshadowed by Romero's dead films, which is a shame because it's a spectacular film in its own right. Great to see Blue Underground give it the treatment that it deserved.--

Of course? No "of course" about it. It's not a good film, imo. Romero himself is vastly overated. When he's doing dead films, fine, other than that - he's hit and miss with more miss.

I understand we have a different opinion on it, but I was pissed when I paid good money for the BU disc, what a waste.

11. Numania

Numania Guest

I enjoyed The Crazies, but I don't feel that it is great or anything. And I don't dislike it as much as dwatts. However, this doesn't need a remake. This is gayness. Someone should write a new movie.

12. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

The Crazies is a great movie and like 99% of remakes it's not needed. Glad atleast George will get some $ from it though.

13. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Guest

Following the trend of many I will say that The Crazies is a great film and that a remake is not necessary. Will I see this if it is made? Yes, especially with Romero involved, but I feel that any money spent on a remake of any of his films could be better spent on Dead Reckoning. I think they would make more money with a new dead film than remaking a horror film that doesn't have a huge following to begin with.

14. Surf Nazi

Surf Nazi Guest

I think this is a matter of opinion, to me The Crazies isn't flawed at all and way better and more believable than Dawn of the Dead. One of my favorite movies.

And a big FUCK OFF to remakes...are there any movies NOT being remade?

15. Ecstatica

Ecstatica Member

16. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Nice, I actually liked the trailer!

I hope there's more government involvement though. That was 80% of the original movie. Let's just hope it doesn't get rated PG-13.

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Same here. But as far as I can tell by the trailer, it will likely be Restricted.

18. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

hmm, i don't care for this one, found the original one of the most boring films i've ever seen, yawned my way through it

19. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I suppose I need to see the original before I can form an opinion on this one :D

20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Trailer for the new one looks great. I like all the actors, looks scary...