The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It - June 4th

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 22, 2021.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

So I'm no super fan of the Conjuring series, I've never really been that interested or bothered in it, I saw the first and it was ok but nothing special. The second I didn't bother with as I'd just seen a UK TV series about the same case and the spin off's well say no more!

I've got to say the this new entry wasn't on my radar and another entry I was happy to miss....but then I saw a review and that peaked my interest so I thought I'd give it a go.

Gotta say I'm so glad I did as that was a great movie, the story, acting, photography are all great there are a few fun scares and a couple of nice r rated sequences. It's definitely worth a watch and an entry I would be happy to re-visit again.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I thought this new one was pretty boring and generic. It offered nothing new to the genre and is easily the least frightening entry.

russweiss likes this.
  3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I thought it was ok. Worth watching, but a step down from the previous entries and even the last couple Annabelles.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I didn't think it measured up to Wan's movies, but it was better than any of the spin-offs. Patrick and Vera get to play detective here, and while I liked the set-up to the mystery, the resolve left a lot to be desired. It's a whole lotta build-up to a very underwhelming pay-off. I was getting a little bored by the end, to be honest.

Regarding Patrick and Vera, I liked that they get to take the lead for the entire movie. At the same time though, I think I prefer Wan's approach where Patrick and Vera are the reward for patient viewers (they are largely MIA until an hour into The Conjuring 2). The previous films give equal or more time to the family and their "haunting", this one really didn't. The family is barely in the movie long enough for us to care about them. Considering this is based on a true crime and the movie is asking us to forgive a real-life murderer due to "demonic possession", it's maybe a little offensive if you don't believe in that stuff.

I didn't dislike it, but I'm glad I could just watch it on HBO Max without having to leave the house.

Colin likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it, even though it's not as good as the first two.
    My expectations was pretty low, when I found out it was the director of The Curse of La Llorona, which together with the first Annabelle movie, was the worst of the bunch.
    But I'm glad he did a better job with this one.

I really enjoyed the opening scene, which almost felt a bit Sam Raimi crazy at times :D

If they make another, I hope Wan returns as a director.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My expectations were pretty low too but I couldn't find much redeeming about it. It was ok at best.

Colin and Zombie Dude like this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I definitely found that angle of the movie offensive. It made me wonder if that's why the family/accused was barely in the movie and had basically no story. Still I think it was handled poorly considering that guy definitely murdered someone.

8. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I thought it was okay. A little better than I expected, but it's missing one key component: sympathetic side-characters. I enjoyed the families in the first two films, but this time around the investigated family didn't mean squat. Still, I've seen a lot worse.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That was a REALLY freaky TV-movie, I'd love it if it makes it to a future volume of Vinegar Syndrome's Televised Horror series.

10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Big old bag of MEH for me. Couple cool parts but I'll never watch again. Same goes for all these flicks for me. Glad I watched at home.

Cruella at the theaters as opposed to this was a good decision.

Zombie Dude likes this.