The Condemned

Discussion in 'General' started by dwatts, May 1, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

[​IMG]

What do you do when a film has a lot of success and you want to remake it, but in the current climate the basic plot elements are a no-no? Such was the problem faced by filmmakers who clearly wanted to revisit Battle Royale, but weren't willing to put kids into the firing line.

So instead of kids we get a tie-in with WWE, and Steve Austin. Instead of innocent youths we get criminals on death row.

The basic idea is - grab ten prisoners on death row, send them to an island where they must fight to the death. The last one standing wins. They have 30 hours to finish the game or all remaining players die. The whole thing is being streamed over the Internet, you can watch it for $50 a go. Did I mention the explosives tied to everyones ankles?

If you know Battle Royale you know this film. It's all a bit familiar. Still, having said that there actually are a few moments which as a bit nasty to watch - a rape, a savage beating. And I won't say I was bored, although the preaching about the evils of the media is way over the top and hard to take seriously.

People here might enjoy this in a totally brainless way. Steroid pumped wrestlers jumping around and beating people up. Paper-thin romance, a hint of humor every now and again. It's not very good, but it's not all that bad.

I'm not a huge fan of Battle Royale, but at least that had a little edge. This is the same thing but with adults, and since they're all killers you can't really feel sorry for them. There's a subplot I won't go into because really, it's right out of a TV movie and doesn't remotely work.

Silly then, brainless, but it has action. Sort of recommended for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

2. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Yeah........ Most dangerous game meets, Turkey shoot meets Running Man meets Battle Royale............and the one Busey and Ice-T were in and the Van Damm John Woo stinker.

Pass.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Surviving the Game is the Ice-T/Busey. Woo and Van Damn, not so sure of.

This was good in a brainless fun sort of way. I can think of many movies far worse. Worth a look if you've seen everything else, and far better than that Kain POS slasher who's name escapes me now. Something to do with eyes, oh ya, See No Evil.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

As bigdaddy said, The Condemned was brainless fun.
    It didn't do well in Theaters (gross: $7m) but was a pretty big hit on DVD, pulling in $22m in rentals only. I guess there was an audience for this type of movie after all.

5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Hard Target was Woo and Van Damn.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I actually saw this cheap in the theater.Not too bad really.Moved along pretty well and Austin shows some promise as a movie butt kicker.I wish the fights had less fast editting,still it's a decent time killer.Yet another variation on THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME,less slick than HARD TARGET and less demented than TURKEY SHOOT (always like that one).

7. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Yeah, i remembered the title as soon as a logged off. :cool:

Only decent thing inthat film was the chick, Yancey Butler?? Man she was nice in that film.:evil:

8. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Now the real question is, does he give anyone a stunner?