The Collector

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Jul 23, 2009.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Is that Winnipeg? I have no idea. I'm in Ottawa and it hasn't come here either. I was really looking forward to this one.:(

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this movie and thought it was pretty clever. There is torture in the movie, but it's much more of a game of cat and mouse than anything.

One thing, though.
    Does every horror movie these days have to have such a pessimistic ending where the bad guy wins. I just want to see a movie where the good guy actually gets away. If any protagonist deserved to get away, it's this guy. Initial bad intentions aside, he tried to help that family and got the mother loving shit kicked out of him in almost every way possible.
    Still, though, I really enjoyed this and am interested to see what was cut.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

Calgary. I'm surprised any movies make it up to Winnipeg. :D

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I can't believe this came to my small town (pop. 17,000). It was pretty damn good. A lot of torture and human misery, mixed with some very interesting plot twists. If you liked both Hostels and the Saw films, this is right up your alley. All in all - 8/10.

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I saw it earlier tonight. At the very least I had hoped for a pleasant diversion, but it was much better than that. It's fierce, it's visceral and it's nasty. The Collector himself is a wicked villain, very efficient at what he does. I liked the intensity with which he would go after people. No slow slasher walk here. The eyes were a nice touch too, reflective like those of an animal.

The security system from Hell is a great twist on your typical home invasion setup. It certainly makes for some unique situations. There's a different trap around every corner, so no running at full blast to make an escape and you'd better watch where you fall. The boyfriend's fate is the film's best setpiece, almost Grand Guignol in it's execution. There's also one demise that can best be described as human flypaper.

They really did alot with the budget they had. The film has a unique look and sound design. Solid use of music as well. And this from the guys behind the crummy Saw and Feast sequels? Color me impressed.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Nice to see the love, can't wait. But "crummy" SAW sequels? Blasphemy!

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I think Jaws just opened in Winnepeg :)

I actually hadn't heard much about this flick (The Collector, not Jaws) but after reading this thread I'm a little interested in checking it out. Prob wait till DVD though....actually I was just looking online for showtimes and it's not listed at all on Tribute.ca. Did it even get a release in Canada?

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

where the heck is the dvd news for this already last i heard the special features and everything was turned in by the director for a jan release

anyone else have any news?

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, what gives. First I can't see it in theaters, and now nothing on DVD. It's just sawful.

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

There was an article a month or two back that said the DVD was being worked on.

But yeah we need a date. I saw this in theaters and LOVED it. I cannot wait to own it.

11. fceurich39

ur lucky then cause not very many theaters had this in the US or Canada i do remember reading that article that the director turned in the stuff witht the upcoming dvd and yes a date would be nice from sony

12. CUBAN

CUBAN Guest

saw this at the drive in..loved it!

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

A release date has finally been announced. Too bad it isn't until April 6th!!!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Collector-Blu-ray/9028/

I've never seen anything from Vivendi Visual Entertainment, so that worries me that the Blu-ray won't be up to par. I loved the film's sound design and the style in which it was shot.

14. fceurich39

jeez that is a long time i thought sony was releasing it on dvd/blu-ray oh well atleast we finally have a release date

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

For some reason I don't believe that release date:fire:

16. fceurich39

dvdaf says the same thing but i am still surprised it is april though

17. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This will be available as a rental exclusive at Blockbuster on February 12th. I may rent the Blu-ray to see if Vivendi did right by the film, which they'd damn well better have.

18. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I liked this more than most of the Saw movies, so I guess that's something. At least this had some genuine suspense. It was very well shot, surprisingly well acted, and I found myself actually pissed off at how the film ended just because I actually liked the main character.

This isn't a bad little movie. I say it's worth a shot.

19. Mr. Cole

Mr. Cole Member

It is indeed now available on BR at blockbuster. I saw it initially during its very short theatrical run, had mixed feelings. It is a mean spirited movie. Watched it again last night, absolutely loved it. I forgot how great the photography was, some of the shots, setpieces and editing reminded me of argento. Check it out. Those eyes by the way will stay with you...

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

Great to see this actually released - I'm so surprised by how little fanfare this received. Now...to find the time to watch it!