The Cabin In The Woods -Joss Whedon Horror!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Jun 16, 2010.

1. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

From this response, I can definitely say you should go see Cabin in the Woods and prepare to come back and eat a little crow, at least on the originality front. You might find the movie to be a big, steaming pile of horseshit, but you won't be able to deny that it's pretty original. Hell, it's about originality.

2. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Definitely more funny than scary. I was disappointed in the ending but others may not be. I appreciate any new twist filmmakers can inject into the genre but this one just didn't work for me. I'd still say anyone interested should watch it for themselves before passing judgement. "Evil Dead" fans especially should appreciate the references. And the gore at the end should please any fan of "Dead Alive." I had a good time but I don't see much replay value.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought this was "pretty good" the least interesting moments were at the cabin. Once it got away from that it was more entertaining and original but it never rises to any great heights.

4. Ash

Ash New Member

The last part of the movie wasn't original at all. The premise was a big rip-off of the Cube. Also
    Sigourney Weaver's random cameo made no fucking sense. What a waste of talent.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i thought it was very fun and cool cant wait for the blu-ray and was very surprised that MGM sat on this for a couple years then lionsgate got the rights from mgm but too bad they cant get poughkeepsie tapes from mgm

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My wife enjoyed it more than I did but overall worth a viewing. I agree that it was original but I kept hoping for more. Too much comedy doesn't usually work well in horror films. I did enjoy the Evil Dead references and even commented that it was Henrietta when the cellar door flew open. Also got to see the sneak trailer for Expendables 2.

7. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I thoroughly enjoyed. Once I realized what the film is really about, which was fairly early on as Whedon really doesn't hold back and the plot developes gradually rather then with a sudden twist, actually found it somewhat predictable. However, its originality is still praise worthy, the wit is sharp (which is very important since there is alot of it), the homages are constant and appropriate without getting in the way, there are a few good scares, and the gore is great- reserved for much of the movie and then over the top when the times comes. On the negative side, the CGI, which is on full display for the climax, is rather poor and the very end is somewhat unfulfilling.
    IMHO, this and Tucker and Dale are the best horror comedies of at least the l past decade.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

the cgi didnt look that great it kinda showed that this film was made in 2009

9. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

If we were to judge from the CGI alone, I would've believed them had they told us that the film was made in 1999.:eek:

10. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I really wanted to like this movie, but I thought it was dreadful. The only scenes that made me giggle were the Asian ghost scenes and one character's brave monologue that ends with their botched attempt at heroism on a motorcycle. The rest was just dull and uninspired. It's like Whedon thinks his "new" take on horror films is just so fresh and interesting. Apparently, he never saw Scream. It's nothing that we haven't already seen done better in other movies.

Don't even get me started on the CGI that looks straight out of a SyFy channel movie and the horrible characters. The stoner guy needed to be killed. What an annoying character!

Not a real laugh, scare, or suspenseful scene to be found.

It had potential, but something went horribly wrong. It felt soulless.

11. promnight13

promnight13 New Member

Throwing in my two cents too...

First off: Not scary in the least. I think I jumped once in on a fake "gotcha" moment where someone came out of nowhere.

2) I thought the last 15 minutes was a clever and creative idea but I left the theater imagining all of the other, much more cooler and suspenseful ways they could of executed it.

3) The most implausible plot set-up since Stonehedge was moved to California to make snake-producing Halloween III masks.

4) Loved the surprise cameo though.

5) Hated all of the supposedly funny stoner jokes that feel flat everytime they hit.

6) The very last scene before the credits. Really?

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

My take:

I really liked it. I thought it was an original spin on the tropes of horror films. The story was full of good twists that kept it interesting. The characters were fresh and fun with enough individual personality to make them all interesting.

However, while all the plot twists were good, they were all telegraphed a bit too heavily about 5 minutes before each of them happened, which made it a bit easy to see them coming and sucked out a bit of the surprise for each reveal. This was a shame as the story on a whole was very original and had they left out the "signals" and let the surprises come with less warning, it could have packed a bit more of a punch. It almost felt that while the ideas at the root of the script are really intelligent, it didn't seem to have enough faith in the audience's intelligence or ability to follow the twists without warning.

But, with all that said, it is still a pretty damn good film. People are right to say that it's not very scary. But it is still immensely enjoyable and I'd still recommend it to anyone. It's still clever, fun, and thrilling. It won't give anyone nightmares, but it will certainly give you food for thought about the cliches of horror films and what their implications are.

Maybe it's just because I've been on a "Supernatural" kick, but it reminded me a lot of some of the episodes of that show where the story gets a bit "meta". And, I really enjoyed the movie in the same way that I enjoyed that TV show. I'd also say that the movies overall tone reminds me a bit of "Tremors". So, if you liked that film as much as I did, you'd probably get a similar kick out of "Cabin".

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I did have element but I wouldn't say it was a big rip off of the cube. If anything it was a ripoff of the Evil Dead. To the extent that it may even hurt the chances of the remake being released being so similar. Not that I really want to see a remake.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  14. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Caught a matinee this afternoon and enjoyed the heck out of it. Not sure what the complaints are against the CGI. Crappy CGI effects are a big pet peeve of mine but I didn't see anything here that really bothered me or took me out of the film.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You know what I really love about this movie? At the end of the film one thing is conspicuously absent:

Vampires

16. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I loved the hell out of this movie. the turns and twists, caught me every time, I really loved all the crazy amount of references it had to various horror movies.
    I loved it :) really cool concept

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wow, what a solidly good movie. start to finish, i was never less than entertained. its funny without being overbearingly so. its able to create a cast of stereotypes, but doesn't allow any of them to become grating or annoying, or even one-dimensional. it had great dialogue, great acting, some effectively scary and bloody kills, and great structuring. i loved the part where
    the "final girl" is potentially being killed by the bear-trap zombie on the dock, and instead of showing it, the director focuses on the control room people partying, while giving us glimpses of her ordeal on screens in the background.
    its not high art or anything, but its just decisions like that that kept the whole thing interesting, and fresh. i especially loved the evil dead references. the external design on the cabin, the cellar door, and the inclusion of "evil molesting tree" on the white board near the half-way point. i enjoyed it while watching it, and the more i think about it, the happier i am with the whole experience. it does my heart good to know that mainstream horror can still deliver something as good as this. and any film that ends with NIN's "Last" over the opening credits, has got to have its heart in the right place.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm really suprised that this film is getting so much love from the horror community. I feel the same way about this film as I did with Trick 'r Treat. They are both just Ok films but nothing special.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well my best friend and his wife said they wouldnt mind checking this out with me- but so far they havent been able to go - so they are trying to see if they can get free next weekend. If not Im gonna hit this during an afternoon show sometime next week- I hope it would still be in theatres at that point- my guess is it will last 3 weeks maybe 4

20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Cabin in the Woods did everything that I wanted it to. Funny, clever, gory, and a little "meta". The pacing was superb--love the opening title sequence, ha ha. The film nailed every single beat and kept revealing more and more intriguing plot points. I can't wait to rewatch that elevator scene to find easter eggs.

As soon as
    Hemsworth played with that sphere, I knew something Hellraiser-y was in the air!

Whedon and Goddard tapped directly into what I like to watch--more supernatural than scary--and ran with it all. What a fun, fun film.