The Blob (1988), The Believers (1987), and Audrey Rose (1977) - October 14th

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 6, 2014.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'm going with The Crazies > Dawn of the Dead for remakes. Easily. The Crazies left room for improvement. Claiming you could improve Dawn of the Dead should be an execute-able offense. And I'll be damned if Zack Snyder is the guy to remake anything. I wouldn't trust him to remake Mountaintop Motel Massacre!!!

And, what's wrong with Cronenberg's Fly? And Schrader's Cat People?

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Forgot about The Fly. The Crazies was good too. But I never said Dawn '04 was better than the original Dawn of the Dead. I just thought it was one of the best remakes.

Certainly can't say the same for Cat People though. Ugh. That movie is a fucking mess.

~Matt

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just went on SAE and ordered The Blob with no problems. I tried the cart trick to see how it has been selling, but it isn't working. I think that if it was limited to 3000 copies, it wouldn't last 12 hours before selling out.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Just got my order of The Blob in. Took less than a minute.

~Matt

5. DVD-fanatic-9

I didn't mean that- I was referring to the claim that it's an okay remake. I consider Zack Snyder the kind of hack who should be spit upon in the street when he walks by. The world should hate him for Man of Steel, I think a hit should be put out on him for Dawn of the Dead. You don't turn one of the most important and artistically significant horror films of all time into a cheap shit action movie. You show it proper respect and do not remake it like a person with any integrity would. But, he's a soulless Michael Bay wannabe and has only recently proven this to everyone. Defend him or anything he's ever done now? I'll never be that guy! (Although, I won't lie... I want to see Watchmen. Don't know anything about the source material. Don't want to know anything about the source material. It just looks interesting. Which is a greater shock to me than anyone else.)

I think Cat People '82 is phenomenal. But, I'm very interested in your theories on what might be wrong with it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Spit and kill a guy cause you dislike his movies? Ok then:rolleyes:

7. DVD-fanatic-9

I was clearly speaking figuratively. But, if someone else were to spit on him... I wouldn't feel bad. I would think he got exactly what he deserved. Actually- I do think he deserves to be spit on. It's Dawn of the Dead, Ptflea2. Not Jason Goes to Hell. Do you understand what went into that movie? The care, the attention, what it represents socially, politically, culturally? Do you care at all? You really should. It's one of the crowning achievements of horror. And not because it scared a few people. Because it was made by people who gave a damn. About more than just making a few bucks. About more than just meaningless blogger acceptance and Dread Central praise. Romero is a true visionary who, like Tobe Hooper and Wes Craven and David Cronenberg- wanted to challenge the powers that be and put the problems of our world in a very volatile time in history in a genre that was always being written off as every derogatory thing a movie could be. It's because of filmmakers like Romero that it's possible to make a horror film about more than just blood and screaming. I refuse to not appreciate that, to allow this film's legacy to be insulted by idiots like Snyder.

Again, we're talking about the genre we all have put untold years into discussing, untold money into buying, untold passion into appreciating. That certainly means something to me.

8. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Not this time.
    Will wait for the eventual European release.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Ha! I got a kick out of the guy selling one for $120.00. Can it sell out first?

11. DVD-fanatic-9

Isn't there supposed to be some kind of system in-place to discourage this? Did the scalper only buy 1-2 copy/copies?

12. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Oh jeez, I totally spaced this, but no matter cause I got it - Ze Blob :D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I wonder how fast they're selling. I can see this being around for at least a week.

14. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Got the Blob and The Believers:D. Probably pick up Audrey Rose and the Vanishing later, This has been an expensive month, My poor bank account:(

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, 5 years will fly by (snap) like that.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I wanted to get The Believers, but I can't justify $40 for a disc with no features. And I've tried to like Audrey Rose. I think it has a good premise, but the film just...doesn't work.

~Matt

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

More like 1-2 years ;)
    Worth the wait, as the EU releases have been half the price in comparision, and no need to be involved in this madness.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Not for US buyers. So it's a wash. :)

Curious, what are some TT limited releases that can now be bought as EU releases.

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Aha, you meant the next US release :)

Some of them are The Driver (released by StudioCanal), Fright Night & Christine (Sony) and The Fury (Arrow Video), just to name a few.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok. Imo Fright Night & Christine are much more popular films than the Blob remake. Plus those 2 films were of the first "big" TT releases that had the famous 3000 limit.

The reason that they are so expense in the first place is really not TT's fault. Its mostly due to the studio. See the studio never wanted to release these films in the first place on Blu-Ray. So that's why the 3000 limit. They set the limit(the license) When they saw how much there was an interest (selling out so fast), they gave out another license down the line. It's a strange scenario, some studios don't care & want to release everything (or at least the really popular stuff) And some studios hold onto to very popular titles like Christine (thinking nobody cares about that movie)

I'm just saying that since the Blob had a 5000 limit (and judging how much of that sells & how fast) they may not be in a rush to give out another license so fast. Considering they already let out 2000 more than the usual 3000 to TT. Look at the excellent film Used Cars, it's still available & that came out 7 months ago. (3000 limit) Why would the studio want to reprint that again anytime soon.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014