The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Big update here, and again I apologize for not updating it daily and throwing this week long list of movies on you, but it's been hard to find time to write up these mini reviews and I don't want to just update a list on here so...

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2011 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    Terror in the Aisles (1984) 6/10
    Black Demons (1991) 5.5/10
    Leprechaun 2 (1994) 6/10
    Halloween...The Happy Haunting of America (1997) 7/10
    Halloween...The Happy Haunting of America 10th Anniversary Edition (2007) 6/10
    The Troll Hunter (2010) 8/10
    House of the Damned (1963) 6.5/10
    The Other (1972) 6.5/10
    Stake Land (2010) 8.5/10
    Torso (1973) 7.5/10
    Superstition (1982) 7.5/10
    Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) 6.5/10
    Halloween 2 (2009) 5.5/10
    Doom Asylum (1987) 6.5/10
    Mountaintop Motel Massacre (1983) 6/10
    Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House (1992) 7.5/10
    Ginger Snaps (2000) 7/10
    Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2004) 6/10
    A Haunting S:1 - The Lake Club Horror (2005) 6.5/10
    Home Improvement S:3 - Crazy for You (1993) 8.5/10
    Ginger Snaps 3: The Beginning (2004) 6.5/10
    My Name Is Bruce (2007) 7.5/10
    The Simpsons S:2 - Treehouse of Horror (1990) 6/10
    Dracula (1931) 7/10
    13 Ghosts (1960) 7.5/10
    Roseanne S:2 - Boo! (1989) 9/10
    Roseanne S:3 - Trick or Treat (1990) 7/10
    Roseanne S:4 - Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down (1991) 7.5/10
    Roseanne S:5 - Halloween IV (1992) 7/10
    A Haunting S:1 - The Haunting of Summerwind (2005) 7/10
    A Haunting S:1 - Hell House (2005) 5.5/10
    The Simpsons S:3 - Treehouse of Horror II (1991) 7/10
    The Simpsons S:4 - Treehouse of Horror III (1992) 8/10
    Home Improvement S:6 - I Was A Teenage Taylor (1996) 7.5/10
    Blood Sisters (1987) 6.5/10
    Psycho (1960) 9/10
    The Masque of the Red Death (1964) 6/10
    Scars of Dracula (1970) 5.5/10
    The Simpsons S:5 - Treehouse of Horror IV (1993) 8.5/10
    I Spit on Your Grave (2010) 6.5/10
    Night of the Demons 3 (1997) 6.5/10
    The Premature Burial (1962) 7/10
    Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) 6.5/10
    Haunted Histories Collection - The Haunted History of Halloween (1997) 8/10
    Eden Lake (2008) 6.5/10
    Murder Party (2007) 8/10
    Misery (1990) 8/10
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) 8/10
    Simpsons S:6 - Treehouse of Horror V (1994) 8.5/10
    The Phantom of the Opera (2004) 6.5/10
    Two Evil Eyes (1990) 7.5/10
    Home Improvement S:7 - A Night to Dismember (1997) 6.5/10
    The Thing (2011) 7/10
    The Exorcist (The Version You've Never Seen) (1973) 9/10
    The Exorcist 3 (1990) 8.5/10
    Exorcist: The Beginning (2004) 6.5/10
    Home Improvement S:8 - Bewitched (1998) 8/10
    Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005) 6/10
    Hellgate (1989) 3/10
    Cujo (1983) 7.5/10
    Cornered (2009) 5.5/10
    Frankenstein (1931) 7/10
    The Wolf Man (1941) 7.5/10
    Witchfinder General (1968) 7/10
    Simpsons S:7 - Treehouse of Horror VI (1995) 7.5/10
    Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) 6.5/10
    Werewolf of London (1935) 5.5/10
    Curse of the Blair Witch (1999) 8/10
    The Blair Witch Project (1999) 8/10
    Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) 6.5/10
    Critters (1986) 7.5/10
    Critters 2: The Main Course (1988) 7.5/10
    The Last Exorcism (2010) 7.5/10
    The Fourth Kind (2009) 6.5/10

Movie Total = 52
    TV Episode/ Documentary Total = 22

Simpsons S:6 - Treehouse of Horror V (1994) - This just might be my favourite Simpson's Halloween special. The first short called "The Shinning", wouldn't want to get sued, is a great parody of the Kubrick film where Homer goes crazy and tries to kill his family due to the removal of TV and beer from the hotel. The second story isn't really horror related but is still a lot of fun. Titled "Time and Punishment", this story again revolves around Homer after he creates a time machine out of their toaster. Of course being the nitwit that he is, he manages to screw up the future thanks to his mucking around in the past. My favourtie alternate time line is when Flanders is the supreme ruler of the world. The last story is really good as well, called "Nightmare Cafeteria" it is about the school teachers needing a solution for all the kids in detention. Their answer, by eating them. This is one of the few episodes where every story was a real hit.

The Phantom of the Opera (2004) - I have a couple adaptations of this story that I want to watch so I thought I would start with a faithful version before I get into some of the crazier ones like Argento's rat controlling Phantom, or The Phantom of the Paradise. I saw the live play of this when I was a kid but I didn't remember too much of the story, and from the movie there really isn't much to it. Some of the acting and singing in this wasn't that great, mind you I am not really a fan of musicals so take that into consideration. That being said, any time the Phantom brought his presence on the screen and the music kicked in it was very powerful! Can't get that catchy main theme out of my head now.

Two Evil Eyes (1990) - I really enjoyed this movie the first time I watched it, and not much has really changed. This movie consists of two tales based on stories by Edgar Allan Poe. The first is Directed by George Romero and is called "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" and the second one is Directed by Dario Argento titled "The Black Cat". I still prefer the first tale over the second one, maybe because I am a cat lover so it's hard watching Harvey Keitel torturing the cat. The first story stars Adrienne Barbeau as the wife of a dying millionaire who hypnotizes her husband so he can sign his fortune over to her in his will. Unfortunately he dies while hypnotized and gets trapped in a sort of limbo as dark souls try to use his body to get into the real world. This is a little slow paced but entertaining and creepy throughout. I love near the end when you see the souls entering the mans' bedroom and appearing in flashes with the storm. The second tale is one that has been adapted many times where a man kills his girlfriend only to realize the black cat that has been haunting him is trapped inside the walls with her. I should add that Tom Savini did the effects for both stories and they are quite good.

Home Improvement S:7 - A Night to Dismember (1997) - This Home Improvement is a little less Halloween centric then the others, but it is still decent. This time around Mark is filming a horror movie, which worries his family as the story is about an outcast son who wants to murder his family and they think it is actually about him. Although it's missing the fun pranks that makes the yearly specials stand out, it was still funny and worth watching.

The Thing (2011) - I think everyone should be able to enjoy this prequel as long as you can separate it from Carpenter's masterpiece. First lets get everything out of the way, the excellent score is gone, the characters aren't as interesting, Carpenter's supreme Direction is missing, the effects don't even compare, and most importantly the tension is for the most part no where to be found. That being said, it's still better then most of the tripe that hits theaters these days. Just know going in that this is a faster and more action packed movie. The alien doesn't stay hidden as a replicate for very long, it is constantly showing it's disgusting form throughout, even chasing people several times through the halls. It's a bit of a shame, but this is a different film, a Thing for modern audiences I guess. I'm sure fans of the 50s film felt the same way when they watched Carpenter's take. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is pretty good in this though, even if she is no Kurt Russell. She has become the new genre woman, and it was nice to see her playing an intelligent and strong woman instead of the weak practically nude women found in most horror films these days as well. It sounds like I didn't like the film, so again I must say that I did enjoy it, it's just good to set expectations low compared to Carpenter's film or you will come away disappointed.

The Exorcist (The Version You've Never Seen) (1973) - I don't really have a preference when it comes to which version of this film to watch. I decided to go with the new cut of the film just because I remember liking some of the extra scenes and if it's a film I really like, so more of it is a good thing. I will admit that the spider walk scene does slightly stand out though, I think it would work a lot better with out all of the blood spewing from her mouth. Anyway, I'm not going to go over the plot of this film as I'm sure everyone has seen it I will just say that although this film doesn't really frighten me like it does others, I still love watching it. There's something about it's slow moving pace and the sense of dread that develops with it, the great acting and character development, the quality direction, and creepy soundtrack, that you just have to stop and appreciate it. It's really too bad they don't make movies like this anymore, and it makes the classics such as this all the more important.

The Exorcist 3 (1990) - I was just planning on watching the first movie since I picked it up on Blu Ray, and the two versions of the prequel since I have never seen them, but I had to throw this one into the mix just because I it is so damn good (The second film is better left forgotten). Overall it's not quite at the quality level of the first film, but the Direction, acting and script are all very well done in their own right. I am a huge fan of George C. Scott and he is very good in this, taking over the role of Kinderman from Lee. J Cobb. This movie is more about the return of the zodiac killer and his ritual crimes then it is an exorcism although one does forcefully come into play near the end. The movie has a very creepy tone throughout, and includes a few jump scares that work very well. I'm sure most that have the scene in the hospital will agree that it is one of the best jump scares of all time. Unfortunately there are a few times where the film does go a little over the top, the end being the main culprit which I believe was studio imposed, so until the rumored Director's cut sees the light of day this is the best we got.

Exorcist: The Beginning (2004) - This was a decent movie, not up to the standards of the first and third movies, but still not at the bottom with the second either. It is just okay. Renny Harlin directs this version of the prequel and keeps it moving at a decent pace with lots of scares and gore. Some of the CGI is awful, and the story felt like it was all over the place. That being said, Stellan Skarsgård does an amazing performance as Father Merrin and is alone worth watching this for. This was a hard movie to make I'm sure, how do you do a prequel to one of the best horror movies of all time, and still make it scary for modern audiences who have seen so much since the original film was made? I can't say that they succeeded, but I applaud their effort none the less. Then again, I don't know if I will be going back to this film like I do the first and third of the series.

Home Improvement S:8 - Bewitched (1998) - This is the final Halloween episode of the series and is up there with the best of them. In this episode Tim is once again is at the butt of another prank, this time they have him believing that Wilson's girlfriend is a witch who has murdered him, and thanks to some fake cops have him believing that he is their main suspect. Like most of the specials from this show this one is a lot of fun. Tim also wears my favourite costume from the series, dressing as the flying monkey from The Wizard of Oz. This leads to a lot of hilarious moments including one where he tries to fit through a doorway with his wings. This episode was even the inspiration for my costume last year as the flying monkey.

Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005) - This was the original version of the prequel shot by Paul Schrader. The studio felt that this version wasn't scary enough or horror enough for modern audiences so they hired Renny Harlin to re shoot his own version with new plot points and actors. I hate to admit it, and I know I'm in the minority here but I almost agree with them. I will say this, this is the better made film, and its story is structurally better. That being said, just because it is the better made film, doesn't mean it is the more entertaining of the two. This movie has next to no horror or frightening moments until the very end, and at that point it just feels out of place with the rest of the film. Stellan Skarsgård is still the highlight of this version, but it is still harmed by the terrible CGI and still does not live up to the first film that it is the prequel to. Again, I applaud the Director for what he set out to do, and think the message is better contrived in this film, but when I want to watch a horror film I will not choose this version. For that matter, I'm not sure how much replay this version will have or if I'll ever be in the mood to watch it again.

Hellgate (1989) - I'm not going to bother writing up a paragraph on this film and how insanely dumb it is. There are some movies like Troll 2 or The Pit (Which is on the other side of this disc) which are so bad they are good. This much is unfortunately just really really bad and boring, it is crap and I recommend no one waste their time with this awful movie.

Cujo (1983) - I have been really enjoying a lot of the King adaptations that I have been watching lately. Maybe I have just been lucky with my pickings, but along with Misery this film was really good. For the first half not much really happens, but it is not boring. It does a great job setting up the characters and you really grow to like them faults and all, so when they get themselves in the crisis where they are trapped in a car with a rabid St. Bernard on the loose outside, you are with them and their danger, and don't want to see anything happen to this family. Although the premise is almost ridiculous, the Director does a great job making it all believable, and makes the St. Bernard as scary as any other monster out there in horror land.

Cornered (2009) - I had heard good things about this low budget slasher, and although Guttenberg was listed as one of the stars I thought I would go with the word of mouth and give it a shot. Well, although it is not bad, it isn't very memorable either, and doesn't do much to stand out from any other slasher made in the past 30 years. The acting was okay but I didn't find myself liking any of the characters or caring if anything happens to them. A bad slasher can be somewhat saved if the kills are good though, and unfortunately probably due to its low budget this film doesn't really have any stand out kills. The one thing I will give the film though is I do think the idea behind the film was quite good, and if they made a sequel with better actors, more likable characters, and most importantly more interesting kills I would probably give it an hour and a half of my time.

Frankenstein (1931) - After delving into Dracula, I was probably most excited to watch this film from the Universal monster movie stable. I don't know if it lived up to my expectations, but it was very enjoyable. Karloff was a great monster, although I think Lugosi's Dracula was the better performance. The story moved along at a nice pace though, and when the monster is born it becomes very interesting. I don't know if my expectations hurt the experience though, as I didn't expect Frankenstein to become the hero in teh story. I always thought he was up their in the castle defending the monster. I guess that's the problem with watching a film 80 years too late. I really want to see Bride of Frankenstein as I have heard from some that it is even better then the original, although I can't seem to find the Legacy set cheap anywhere.

The Wolf Man (1941) - I have to admit I am surprised to find how much I liked this film, and it is probably my favourite of the Universal monster movies so far. This movie was great at moving the story along and fitting in as much as they could in just over an hour of time. They really make you feel sympathy for the Wolf Man and his destined finale. The romance is also kept entertaining and charming. The Wolf Man has a great look and the film feels the most modern of the lot. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which makes the unbelievability of it all work that much more. I have to admit I have so far slightly enjoyed the Hammer monster series over the Universal versions, but the Wolf Man is one that Universal definitely wins over Hammer.

Witchfinder General (1968) - This is a very dark and morbid movie, especially when you take into context the time it was made. It's really strange seeing Vincent Price play such a hateful character, and not his charming, always winking at the camera self. In this he plays a witchfinder, who travels to various towns and decides whether the victims are witches or not. He gets paid a pretty penny for each witch he finds, so obviously everyone that he can accuse of being a witch he does. I guess some of this is somewhat factual in that there were women tortured and killed during the witch trials, something I'm sure the church would like to forget, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch. I think the torture scenes in this were harder to take then in something like Hostel or Saw. Maybe because the victims here were innocent women instead of annoying teens who had it coming. This movie becomes a revenge tale halfway through with a soldier seeking vengeance on Price and his partner after they basically rape his fiancee and murder her uncle, blaming him to be a witch. By the end you have no clue how it is all going to end, you just know you really despise Price's character and want to see harm come his way. The film was very well made, but it's dark nature means it's a film you have to be in the right mood for.

Simpsons S:7 - Treehouse of Horror VI (1995) - This episode is probably one of the more famous due to the computer animated final short. It all starts off with "Attack of the 50-Foot Eyesores" which is a decent episode about all the giant ads and billboards around the city coming to life after Homer steals the donut from the Lard Lad statue. The second story is one of my favourites in the whole series called "Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace", which is pretty much a Nightmare on Elm Street parody with Groundskeeper Willie playing the part of Freddy. The has the right amount of horror and laughs, which is usually when the stories work the best for me. Over the years they have slowly lost a lot of the horror elements, and have become more about parodying whatever movies was famous that year instead of a horror classic. "Homer³" is the final tale and one of the most popular due to the fact that it was all done with computer animation. It's not really a big deal now, and actually makes this episode more dated then the others, but at the time I remember this being huge. Back then there wasn't a CG movie every month and I don't think there were any computer animated shows. Either way, the laughs are what make this a stand out episode. In this one Homer finds himself trapped in another dimension after hiding behind a bookshelf before Patty and Selma come over. It may not be horror related but it is a good one.

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) - I was curious how they would not only bring back the Wolf Man after the ending of the first film, but also manage to fit Frankenstein's monster into the mix. Well colour me surprised because they actually manged to do it pretty well. It all starts out with the Wolf Man being resurrected after some grave robbers allow moonlight to hit his corpse. After escaping from a hospital, he finds himself with the gypsy from the first film who tells him of a Doctor that may be able to cure him from his curse. Of course the Doctor she is referring to is none other then Dr. Frankenstein, and after the monster is freed from his frozen grave all hell breaks loose! There wasn't too much substance to this film, but it was a lot of fun. I'm glad to see that they actually had a story to tell instead of just having the Wolf Man and Frankenstein battle for no reason. I also must add that after praising Lugosi for his Dracula performance, I was a little let down by his monster here. This is one time where Karloff is the winner as Lugosi's monster just seems off for some reason. Lon Chaney is once again great as the Wolf Man though.

Werewolf of London (1935) - This was an okay werewolf story but doesn't compare to Chaney's Wolf Man. It is a rather unique twist on the werewolf mythos, this time the main character, Dr. Glendon, is bit by a werewolf in the snowy mountains. And the original werewolf doesn't die, but instead there are two roaming the city of London. There also is a moon flower that temporarily resides the wolf effects for one full moon. I thought the performances in this film weren't the best, and Dr. Glendon was a bit of a dick before he even became the werewolf. The real stands out were the two drunk landlords who rent a room to Dr. Glendon. They had a quite a few very humorous moments, and they broke up the seriousness of the rest of the film. This movie wasn't bad or anything but after just watching Chaney's Wolf Man it was a definite step down.

Curse of the Blair Witch (1999) - I always try to watch this companion piece before I watch The Blair Witch Project. It's a great set up to the story and history behind the Blair Witch as well as the students who go missing. I first watched this before I saw the film and when I still wasn't sure whether it was all real or not. It was pretty frightening at the time and got me excited for the film. Well now that it has all been proven to be a hoax, and Blair Witch has become a horror classic I am happy to report that this special still works. It's not quite as creepy anymore but if the film still works for you then so shall this special. The highlight is definitely the history of the witch as well as the child murderer who blames it all on the thoughts that the witch put in his head. Even though you know it's all fake it still manages to get under your skin.

The Blair Witch Project (1999) - Even though this film made a ridiculous amount of money I still feel it is very underrated. It seems like once everyone found out the history and film was all made up it got a lot of hate fueled toward it. Even now with the boom in found footage films, you hear very few talk about the one that started it all. Well I still love this film and it still manages to frighten me at parts even though I know it is all staged. I guess its simple premise allows you to step into the shoes of any of the students there, and put yourself in the tent with them. I still think it is probably the best found footage out there, although the first Paranormal Activity comes close. I think this one has shows more of an effort was put into the making of it, and of course it was the first of it's kind which is all the more impressive. It's almost too bad that this never became a series, then again when looking at the Paranormal Activity series maybe it's a good thing that it was a one off. It makes the ambiguousness of it all all the more satisfying. And yes, I know there was a sequel but that was a different beast in itself, but I did like it as well.

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) - This film is pretty much an hour and a half of boob jokes, and you know what, I'm fine with that. It is total cheese, bad jokes, bad acting, a story that is all over the place, but for some reason when it is all mixed together it just works. Elvira is a terrible actress, but her spunk makes up for it. This movie is a fish out of water tale with Elvira inheriting a house in a proper little church town. Her low cut dress with her breasts busting out is definitely not something the town is used to seeing and of course they all want her to leave, except for a few who have come to enjoy her city charm. So half of the movie is about the town trying to get her out, the other half revolves around her Uncle who happens to be in the dark arts and wants a spell-book that she unknowingly inherited along with the house. There are some decent effects on display and like I mentioned before it is all done tongue in cheek. Not all of the jokes work, some due to Elvira's delivery, but there are a few good ones here and there that you can't help but smile throughout.

Critters (1986) - I always took myself as a Ghoulies fan so I never bothered to check out the Critters series. Well I am glad I finally did as this film was a ton of fun! The critters look and move great thanks to the quality special effects on display. They are mean little guys and can go from scary one minute to humorous the next. I like the idea of the alien bounty hunters as well who can morph into anyone they want. One of them decides to base his guise on an 80s hairband rock singer. From the trailers they were what gave me second thoughts about the film, but for some reason they work in this film and it wouldn't seem right without them. I guess when you have such a ridiculous set up why not go all out?

Critters 2: The Main Course (1988) - The Critters are back, and this time the whole town is under attack during Easter celebration. It's up to the boy from the first movie who is all grown up now to destroy the critters. He has some help though from the retired Sheriff, his friend who has now become a bounty hunter, and the two aliens from the first film. This film was just as good as the first, and instead of mostly taking place on a farm house the critters have branched out. This one really reminded me of Gremlins in the way the creatures act and the humour that comes with them as they terrorize the townspeople. There's a cool scene where the critters form into a huge ball and roll over people devouring them and leaving them as skeletons. There's also a great transformation scene where one of the bounty hunters bases their form on a playboy bunny fold out poster, staple and all. If you like Ghoulies or Gremlins, check these films out. I might even enjoy these more then the Ghoulies series now as the first Ghoulies film doesn't really work for me anymore.

The Last Exorcism (2010) - I really enjoyed most of this movie. I liked the setup and the priest character was a very real and likable character. That being said, it isn't really a horror film for most of its running time. The movie is about a priest who has lost his faith, and after he reads about a death during an exorcism he sets out along with a camera crew to prove them to be phony so they will cease to be done. He even brings with him an exorcism in a suitcase kit to show how the effects are created which I thought was a nice touch. Most people seem to stick with the film until the ending, but you know what I thought that was the best part. Yes it is way out of left field and it doesn't really gel with the rest of the film, but I thought it was great and without it it wouldn't be much of a horror film and would be more of a character study. The movie kept me on the edge for most of its running time, but it wasn't as terrifying as I expected it to be. I don't think it compares to the greats, The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity, but it doesn't sit at the bottom either. It sits somewhere in the middle which isn't a bad thing I guess. I guess I just expected a little more from it, preferably some more scares.

The Fourth Kind (2009) - This film was okay, although it sits near the bottom of the found footage films for me. I don't want to give too much away, but yes, this film involves alien abductions and the toll it has on a psychiatrist and her family. I think this film was really meant to work with the belief that it was all real. I guess most found footage films are, but in this case I think without it it isn't very effective and it needed the allusion that it was all based on fact, as not much really happens and the scares are few and far between. It never really shows anything either other then a few quick cuts. I also don't know how effective showing the fake real footage next to the reenactment footage was, sometimes they were repetitious and I thought it was rather pointless and annoying. I wonder if it would have worked better if they chose one or the other, although I will admit the ship over the house was very effective. Oh, and the actress playing the main character during the so called real footage was pretty terrible and gave away that it was all a ruse, if you didn't already know. It sounds like I disliked this film, and I didn't, but it had so much potential as usually abduction movies really creep me out, so I was saddened to see this one didn't.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG]

Wax Mask DVD

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/25 #37

[​IMG]

Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)

October wouldn't be the same for me without watching this. Creepy little gem that deserves its cult status. 5/5

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** denotes first time viewing

10/01 - Halloween (1978) 8/10
    10/01 - Halloween II (1981) 6/10
    10/02 - Terror in the Aisles (1984) 8/10 **
    10/03 - The Beast and the Magic Sword (1983) 7/10 **
    10/04 - Massacre at Central High (1976) 7/10 **
    10/05 - Demented (1980) 4/10 **
    10/06 - Night of the Howling Beast (aka The Werewolf and the Yeti) (1975) 6/10 **
    10/07 - Killer Fish (1979) 3/10 **
    10/08 - The Prey (Uncut) (1984) 1/10 **
    10/09 - Stone Cold Dead (1979) 3/10 **
    10/10 - Count Dracula's Great Love (1972) 6/10 **
    10/10 - Elvira's Movie Macabre: Count Dracula's Great Love (1972) 6/10 **
    10/11 - The Haunted (1977) 5/10 **
    10/12 - Night of the Demon (1980) 6/10 **
    10/13 - Curse of the Devil (1974) **
    10/14 - Pale Blood (1990) 4/10 **
    10/14 - Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973) **
    10/15 - Vengeance of the Zombies (1972) 6/10 **
    10/16 - The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975) 2/10 **
    10/17 - Final Exam (1981) 6/10 **
    10/18 - Hanging Woman (aka Terror of the Living Dead) (1973) 5/10 **
    10/19 - Mardi Gras Massacre (1978) 5/10 **
    10/19 - The Pyx (1973) 3/10 **
    10/20 - Vampire at Midnight (1988) 2/10 **
    10/21 - Hunchback of the Morgue (1973) 6/10 **
    10/22 - Love Me Deadly (1973) 3/10 **
    10/22 - The Curious Case of the Campus Corpse (1977) 2/10 **
    10/23 - Zombiethon (1986) 6/10 **
    10/24 - Lady Frankenstein (1971) 7/10 **
    10/24 - Elvira's Movie Macabre: Lady Frankenstein (1971) 6/10 **

[​IMG]

Zombiethon (1986) 6/10 **

A clip show with a few minutes of original Zombie material between the 8 films featured. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie where it was so critical that I was in the right frame of mind for me to enjoy it (oh wait, HAUNTED a few weeks ago). I was mentally drained and looking for something with no plot to entertain me. Thankfully ZOMBIETHON was available on Netflix streaming with 75 minutes of non-stop zombie gore and nudity. There is no exposition, just the "good stuff" and a lot of it. I enjoyed it enough that I'll probably still buy this direct from Dark Moon and I've already ordered a few the filma featured.

[​IMG]

Lady Frankenstein (1971) 7/10 **

When Dr. Frankenstein is killed by the monster he created, his daughter continues his experiments. Since this sleazy version of Frankenstien has been selected by Elvira to be mocked I assume the consensus is that its a bad film. I guess all of the exploitation and horror films I've been watching must have screwed up my ability to judge what is schlock and what is not because Lady Frankenstein is a lot of fun. I didn't think the acting, sets, editing, cinematography, or story were bad in anyway. Actually I thought the acting performances were quite good. Maybe a bit OTT but good. I was a bit captivated by Rosalba Neri in fact. I found the story and sets to be quite engaging as well. This might be my favorite of the new films I've viewed this holiday and I can see myself re-visiting this quite often.

[​IMG]

Elvira's Movie Macabre: Lady Frankenstein (1971) 6/10 **

Its Elvira. She's funny. She's sexy. This episode is just as fun as any. I sure wish this was a widescreen transfer, but I'm not watching for the definitive version of an old horror film. Just cleavage and laughs.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 24th

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Hellroller (1992) Rating: 0/5 | Necropolis (1986) Rating: 2.5/5

6. hatfull

hatfull New Member

I am so pleased to see so much love on here for 'Waxwork'! I watched it for the first time about 3 months ago when I bought it on impulse...what a great buy! I've bored my horror loving friend half to death trying to get her to watch it (though tomorrow I am now going to get it back off her so I can watch it again :D

7. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 25th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

50) Basket Case

51) Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (1973)

8. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

October 2nd

02. Thriller: The Ordeal of Dr. Cordell (1961)

October 3rd

03. Thriller: Trio for Terror (1961)

October 4th

04. Thriller: Papa Benjamin (1961)

October 5th

05. Thriller: Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (1961)

October 6th

06. Thriller: The Devil's Ticket (1961)

October 7th

07. Thriller: Parasite Mansion (1961)

October 8th

08. Thriller: Mr. George (1961)

October 9th

09. Thriller: The Terror in Teakwood (1961)

October 10th

10. Thriller: The Prisoner in the Mirror (1961)

October 11th

11. Thriller: Dark Legacy (1961)

October 12th

12. The Black Cat (1934)

October 13th

13. The Raven (1935)

October 14th

14. Dracula (1931)

October 15th

15. Frankenstein (1931)

October 16th

16. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

October 17th

17. Son of Frankenstein (1939)

October 18th

18. Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)

October 19th

19. The Wolf Man (1941)

October 20th

20. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943)

October 21st

21. House Of Frankenstein (1944)

October 22nd

22. I Bury the Living (1958)
    23. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

October 23rd

24. The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974) Blu

October 24th

25. Dawn of the Dead (1978) [Extended Version]

October 25th

26. The Return of the Living Dead (1985) Blu
    27. Planet Terror (2007) Blu

9. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 25th

24. The Beyond (1981)
    25. Zombie Diaries 2 (2011)

10. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Fourth weekend of October:

A slow weekend movie-wise, as most of our "Halloween Time" was dedicated to decorating...

Paranormal Activity 3: First of all, I was kinda pissed at the final trailer for this. It seemed to give away too much, and for a movie that relies heavily on jump scares, that's not a good thing. But, a lot of the footage in the trailer either isn't in the movie, or plays out differently. So, no worries there. The thing that kinda does bug me, is that the events shown in this prequel don't match up with what was said in the first two. Kristi not speaking for long periods of time? Nope. House burning down? Nada. Speaking of little Kristi, she is absolutely adorable (and looks like her "adult" self as well). Young Katie doesn't resemble adult Katie so much. Their parents are fun characters (actually, it's their mom and her boyfriend / fiancée). He films weddings and such, so he has access to several cameras and A/V equipment. This has some really good scares in it, and as always it's a lot of fun in a theater packed with screaming teenyboppers. If you liked the first two, you'll probably like this one (series continuity and an ending my GF found quite silly notwithstanding). If you don't like PA, this one won't change your mind.

[​IMG]

11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Too much movie watching, not enough posting in this thread from me... :)

October 23:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

All re-watches.
    Grizzly (1976) is one I watch every year and enjoy it for it's silliness and Christopher George's over-acting.

Urban Legend Trilogy - The first one is mostly blah! I've nevver really liked it. The second and third have their weaknesses but are mostly fun flicks.

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 24:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pray (2006) - Some nice, creepy atmosphere in this low budgeter from Japan. A bit of a mystery, a few semi-ok kills and a sad/melodramatic ending. Nothing must see here but decent if you want an asian ghost story.

The Sisters (2004) - More creepy stuff, this time from Thailand. It gets a little confusing/silly at times, perhaps it's a cultural thing? Still another one worth checking if you like asian ghosty movies.

13. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 25th:

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (unrated version) (1989)
    Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
    Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
    Freddy VS. Jason (2003)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)
    Freddy's Nightmares: Season 1- Episode 1- "No More Mr. Nice Guy" (1988)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10/17

31. The Walking Dead: Season 2 premiere--Despite being less than thrilled by season one I kept tuning in. And ultimately I found the show to be competently handled but extremely derivative and unoriginal (it seems to cover very similar ground to the first 3 Romero dead films in particular). And too much time was wasted on melodramatic conflicts between very stereotypical characters. Unfortunately I found the season 2 premiere to be more of the same. The interpersonal turmoil strains credibility--which might be forgivable if it was more interesting. Life and death crisis situations tend to bring out the best in most people. Yet despite the ever-present threat of sudden, violent death these characters obsess over petty romantic conflicts and perceived inequities concerning weapons and supplies. Watching one female character pout over another having a pistol reminded me of the scene in Monster House when Chowder moans about Jenny taking his preferred water gun. And this episode added another irritating element to the forefront--whiny children in peril. I'm not saying the show is bad. But I don't think it's going to sustain my marginal interest much longer.

32. (Horror of) Dracula--Hammer's best shocker streamlines Stoker's novel for maximum forward momentum. Terence Fisher sustains an awesome pace and offers the screen's best Dracula/Van Helsing team. Builds to a tremendous climax that showcases Cushing's impressive athleticism. A top-notch film all-around.

33. Vampires (1998)--Great lowbrow fun from John Carpenter is another western in disguise. James Woods irreverence serves him very well as the crude vampire slayer Jack Crow. It's hard to remember another film where the nominal hero slaps around a priest and continually asks him erections. And Woods's enthusiasm for staking has to be seen to be believed. Definitely loses some momentum after the great opening raid and the master vampire's memorable party crash at the Sun God Motel. Highly preferable to the "sexy" vampire nonsense that seems to dominate recent years.

10/18

34. Masters of Horror: Cigarette Burns--John Carpenter's season 1 contribution is on the shortlist of the best MoH episodes. Story strains credibility. And some clips of the notorious film look like excerpts from a failed student project. Redeemed by Carpenter's steady hand, a good lead performance by Norman Reedus, strong support from genre icon Udo Kier, some effective gore effects, and an atmospheric piano score by the director' son (that proves artistic talents are inherited, Carpenter is a generous dad, or both). Very effective finale in Kier's gothic mansion.

35. Deadbeat At Dawn--More of an exploitation revenge film than outright horror. Oozes grimy atmosphere. But awkward amateur performances and lack of substantial story elements makes the short running time really drag. Rallies for a bravura finale where the hero battles multiple foes in a rousing street fight. Unpolished and straightforward fight choreography is brutally effective. And the lack of hi-tech fakery gives the violence an authentic, unstylized feel. Too bad the rest of the film doesn't have the same impact.

10/19

36. Rituals--Deliverance knock-off doesn't break a lot of new ground. But the cast is much more accomplished than usual--with Hal Holbrook giving a standout performance in the lead. His attempts to do penance for his past sins give his character believable motivation in some relatively contrived circumstances. Sustains interest but doesn't boast a face-to-face confrontation as intense the rape scene from Deliverance. Features some eerie long-distance silhouette shots of the killer and some nice landscape photography.

37. Next of Kin--Little-seen Australian sleeper is a real standout. Mixes slasher and haunted house elements to tread a unique path. Stylish and deliberately paced film takes the time to establish an atmosphere of uneasiness and foreboding before ratcheting up the pace in the final reel. Cast of unknowns does convincing work throughout. And electronic score is unusual and hypnotically effective. Deserves a much broader audience.

38. Kolchak the Night Stalker: The Knightly Murders--One of my childhood favorites remains extremely enjoyable. Kolchak's wit and cheerfully unscrupulous pursuit of the truth make him a compelling and fascinating "hero." And Darren McGavin's portrayal remains understandably iconic. Here he investigates a series of murders committed with medieval weaponry. As usual, he faces opposition from the police and his long-suffering editor, wonderfully played by Simon Oakland of Psycho fame. Definitely one of the best episodes from the end of the run. Abundant humor and more convincing monster than usual.

10/20

39. Kolchak the Night Stalker: The Trevi Collection--Good episode features solid support from genre stalwarts Nina Foch and Lara Parker. Kolchak investigates sinister happenings in the fashion community while trying to dodge mob enforcers who think he's holding potentially damaging evidence. Killer mannequin effects are typically campy. But script features lots of good moments for McGavin and Oakland.

40. The Reptile--Lesser Hammer offering is still worth a watch. Pretty slow going after a strong start. And the mysterious deaths aren't particularly mysterious. Benefits from a larger than usual role for Hammer vet Michael Ripper.

41. Tales From The Crypt (1972)--One of the best Amicus anthology films makes for great Halloween viewing. The opening Joan Collins segment And All Through The House is the standout (and was remade for HBO's Tales From The Crypt series). But the quality stays relatively high throughout the five stories--not always the case with these films. Good cast features lots of familiar faces, with Peter Cushing giving an outstanding performance as a lonely old widower. The recent loss of his wife Helen made his performance especially poignant.

42. Night of the Living Dead (1990)--Mostly competent but overly faithful remake of Romero's classic feels like hearing your favorite song done by a cover band. Despite the presence of Tony Todd, the cast isn't an overall improvement--with McKee Anderson giving a particularly lousy performance as Helen Cooper. Changes to the ending seem like desperate pandering to the audience and dilute the nihilistic tone of the original conclusion. And the addition of color seems to diminish the nightmarish quality of the imagery. Ultimately pointless.

10/21

43. CIty of the Living Dead--Typical Fulci effort hits the ground running and doesn't stop for extravagances like narrative logic or character development. A priest hangs himself in the opening reel and touches off a a supernatural free for all featuring plenty of maggots and head squeezing zombies. Gets a lot of mileage out of foggy, atmospheric locations and Fulci's ability to fetishize disgusting imagery. Would be the perfect film to show at a Halloween party with the sound off and the stereo cranking.

44. Halloween 4--My favorite Halloween sequel wisely returns character development to the mix. Leads Danielle Harris and Ellie Cornell are sympathetic heroines worth rooting for--which adds some legitimate suspense to the proceedings. Features another great performance by Donald Pleasence, who somehow manages to up Loomis's crazy factor another notch for each successive sequel. Hampered by a piss-poor mask, the terrible miscasting of plodding, thick-bodied George Wilbur as Michael, and the indefensible decision to outfit Myers with shoulder pads. Opening credits are set to a montage of awesome fall imagery. And first appearance of Carpenter's Halloween theme is timed for maximum impact. Great fun.

10/22

45. Halloween 5--Cheap and quick cash-in is a terrible film that provides numerous "so bad they're good" moments. Incredibly dumb throughout, with Michael's year-long convalescence in the shack of a parrot-owning hermit serving as a warning sign reading GAPING PLOTHOLES AND INCOHERENT STORY-TELLING AHEAD. Inexplicably killed off a well established and sympathetic character from H4 and replaced her with one of the most irritating twits imaginable. And the less said about Jamie's psychic link to Michael, the keystone cops and their accompanying clown music, the infamous man in black subplot, and the ridiculous gothic-looking Myers house the better. Does deliver a very suspenseful sequence featuring a laundry shoot near the film's conclusion. And Pleasence is so delightfully over-the-top and insane that he manages to terrorize Jamie almost as much as Michael. A guilty pleasure.

46. Halloween 6 (Producer's Cut)--Further expansion of the WTF? elements that made H5 a hare-brained mess. Producer's cut presents a more consistent storyline than the released version of the film. But that said, is the Thorn-obsessed storyline really superior just because it makes more narrative sense? I do prefer the less hurried pace and the more traditional arrangements of Carpenter's themes in the producer's cut. And the producer's cut features a much more substantial role for the obviously ill Donald Pleasence. But the hospital strobe-light massacre sequence is a plus for the theatrical version. Definitely the most eccentric film in the series.

10/23

47. The Ghost Galleon--Another extremely atmospheric blind dead film. Stupid characters and fairly inane plot are redeemed by the incredibly photogenic Knights Templar and the creepy ghost ship. Templar scenes deliver the goods. And the climactic scene on the beach features some iconic imagery. Euro horror regular Jack Taylor does what he can with his underwritten role. An enjoyable popcorn film.

48. Black Sabbath--Well photographed anthology film from Mario Bava features some legitimate chills. Highlighted by Karloff's vampiric sequence The Wurdulak. Despite working on a sound stage, Bava creates some amazing visuals and exploits a lush color palette for maximum effect. Finale inside a ruined convent features some tremendous shots. Corpse in the final segment raises some serious goosebumps. A great introduction to Bava.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    The Mummy's Tomb (1942) :troll::troll::troll::joshua::joshua:
    "I know, let's set a mummy movie in a cemetery in the South!" And you know what? It works surprisingly well. The Gothic atmosphere always works wonders in the South, and transplanting the otherworldly Egyptian horror there gives it a nice flavor. Unfortunately the first 15 minutes are devoted to recapping the preceding film, an unreasonable amount of screen time. Overall a good effort, good enough for the basis of the Hammer reboot even.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already posted some brief thoughts on the series in the franchise harvest thread. but i would like to mention that the part II poster is actually pretty awesome. it's completely misleading, but awesome none the less. i remember seeing it (the poster) as a kid and it really stuck with me.

17. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of HorribluHalloween

Blu-ray
    DVD
    Streaming
    October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    2. The Others
    October 2, 2011:
    3. My Soul to Take
    4. Case 39
    October 3, 2011:
    5. The Haunting in Connecticut
    October 4, 2011:
    6. Bereavement
    October 5, 2011:
    7. The Amityville Horror (2005)
    October 7, 2011:
    8. Scream 4
    October 8, 2011:
    9. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
    10. The Last House on the Left (1972)
    October 9, 2011:
    11. Troll Hunter
    BONUS: Frankenstein (1931)
    October 10, 2011:
    12. Friday the 13th Part 2
    October 13, 2011:
    13. Friday the 13th Part 3 (3D)
    October 15, 2011:
    14. Blood & Chocolate
    15. Splinter
    BONUS: Dracula (1931)
    October 17, 2011:
    16. Hollow Man
    October 18, 2011:
    17. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge
    October 19, 2011:
    18. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
    October 22, 2011:
    19. An American Werewolf in London
    October 23, 2011:
    20. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
    21. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    22. Straw Dogs
    October 24, 2011:
    23. Zombie
    October 24, 2011:
    23. Jurassic Park
    The Film- 9.5/10​
    PQ- 7.5/10​
    AQ- 10/10​

Jurassic Park is, to me, the ultimate monster flick. Yes, there's more, much more, to it than that and the film can be absorbed on many levels. But my favorite way is to just kick back and let it take me for a ride. The few lines of hamfisted dialogue and Spielberg's typically wooden children are the only issue holding this classic back from a perfect 10.
    On the Blu-ray, the PQ is good... very good, in fact. However, it is not outstanding or even quite great. And since this is one of the most important films of the 20th century and I have no doubt that this movie could look outstanding, it deserves better. Details is much better than the DVD- screenshots do not do the fine detail justice. However, it seems pretty clear that the transfer has been sharpened and some edge enhancement applied. At least Universal kept their nasy DNR mitts off it. The AQ fully makes up for anything lacking in the PQ. Finally, we may all feel free to retire our DTS laserdiscs as Jurassic Park finally sounds the way Jurassic Park should again... absolutely, mind-numbingly show-stopping.

18. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 23rd-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

October 24th-
    [​IMG]

Well I finished The Children of The Corn films. Overall I enjoyed them. Two, Genesis and the TV one being my least favorite of the films.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

October 24
    [​IMG]

Strait-Jacket (1964) was an unsettling first-time viewing. I drifted out of the film initially as I organized around my apartment, but then Joan Crawford introduced a whole helluva lot of crazy, and I was fairly riveted.

October 25

[​IMG]

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010) I left my thoughts in the official thread, but this has been the highlight of my October viewing so far. Original, funny, and gory.

20. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm trying to watch more stuff that I haven't already seen. I've got hundreds of movies that I've bought over the years that I just haven't gotten around to watching. Here's my horror stuff I've watched over the past week. These are all first time viewings.

Strange Behavior - 1981 - I really enjoyed this one. It's a bit weird being an Australian movie, set in America, starring Americans. Clearly an influence on Disturbing Behavior, and possibly Zombie High, only this was actually quite good.

Primal - Not much to say about this one. It's the second Australian movie I watched in a row, although nowhere near as good as Strange Behavior. Not a terrible movie, but a few poor CG bits that made me laugh really hard. If you don't have the budget for decent CG work, don't use it.

Curse of the Swamp Creature - This weird ass piece of junk is currently on Netflix. Kind of like Blood Waters of Dr. Z with a deranged scientist wanting to combine man and fish. Hysterically awesome fishman creature. This was the first of 4 movies I watched in a row that had a voodoo/witchcraft plotline.

Black Demons - I nearly had to mute this one during the excruciatingly long "white guy watching a voodoo ritual" scene. So noisy it was hurting my ears. Turned into an enjoyable cheap and sloppy zombie movie after that.

Sugar Hill - Count Yorga was really good as the sleazy racist bastard villian. And Marki Bey was so hot, loved her weird sexy motorcycle stuntwoman outfit. Downside, most of the bad guys didn't meet especially gruesome ends, apart from maybe Tank Watson or the pig guy. I didn't need really graphic gore, but a couple of these guys were dead in a matter of seconds. I also thought the Baron Samedi character got a bit annoying at times. He got a bit Jar Jar at times. Sure, I got a few easy "mesa" jokes out of it, but he was still too over the top.

Black Magic 2 Gou hun jiang tou - The last of my unintentional voodoo/black magic marathon. Zombies with big ass nails driven into their skulls. Pretty easy to kill if you have access to a claw hammer or a good pair of vice grips.

Cemetery of Terror - The zombies kind of reminded me of the Return of the Living Dead zombies. And, while nobody was actually killed by the non-Devlon zombies, the one that got close did look like he was going for the girl's brain. This made for a good October pick because it takes place on Halloween and has several young children out to get candy. Although the main kids instead decide to go to the cemetery to stand in the middle of the cemetery, count to 100, then leave (?). That's their plan at least, the zombies put a stop to that.

Dr. Phibes Rises Again - I saw the first movie years ago, I just got around to part 2 today. Weird because I really liked the first one, I even use Dr. Phibes as my username on a couple of forums, I just never felt like watching Rises Again for some reason.