The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I haven't seen Nails, but I have been meaning to check out Philosophy of a Knife as of what I've seen of it I did like.

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I only noticed because I was looking for her. Always nice to see her no matter how brief. When I was evaluating whether or not to watch the film I saw her name.

I'm glad I watched PALE BLOOD. It could have used a more interesting killing or two in the first hour. Most of the bits of drama in the first hour are compelling and the characters are interesting. I just wanted a bit more action and the final showdown was a bit more one-sided than I would have liked.

Wings was a descendant of vampire killers so I wish he would have put up a better fight at the end. Once his initial plan fell apart he was reduced to cowering in the corner. I'm sure that's just the limitations of the budget.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. Anubis

Anubis New Member

10/16/2011:

[​IMG]

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.16th.
    Tobe Hooper's Crocodile-Got this at Wal-Mart in a set with three other movies for five bucks, at that price I figured I couldn't go wrong. I had forgotten I had already watched this stinker many years ago, really terrible nature gone wild film. I love the original Alligator and appreciated Rogue, but this was just awful in every sense.
    Oct.17th.
    Blood Surf-Another film on that set. Not only is it horrible but dull as well. Makes Crocodile look like the original King Kong. Only got through half of it.
    The Woman In Black(original)-Good friend reminded me of this film on the weekend which lead me to watch it today. I love the creepy atmosphere and the acting is top notch as well. The little pooch may not be as good an actor as the dog in The Boogens, but he's really endearing too.

5. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 17th
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

30) Frankenstein Unbound: Considering this is a Roger Corman production I knew the level of cheesiness I was diving into. Surprisingly it's not quite as cheesy as some of Corman's other films, but it was still rather silly. John Hurt, as always, is a true professional, out shining most of the cast to a point where it seemed he belonged in another movie. The creature affects used for The Frankenstein monster are fantastic, giving him a unique look. But, the overall plot was quite stupid with the time travel aspect. (6/10)

31) The Dead Hate The Living: I'm far from a fan of Full Moon Productions, but this was a big surprise. The characters, for the most part, where enjoyable and entertaining, the zombies had their own unique designs and the lead villain was over the top ridiculous. The only thing that really held this one back was the half assed ending. (7/10)

32) Zombie Diaries 2: This is an OK follow up to a halfway descent zombie film. The one advantage this had over it's predecessor was the fact it stuck to one story line instead of jumping around between three or four different ones. But much like the original, this one for one reason or another incorporated a musical score! I mean it's a found footage film, that completely takes me out of the experience. Not to mention a lot of one note forgettable characters and plot that is a cross between 28 Days Later and Diary Of The Dead. Stick with the first film, there's not much to offer here. (6/10)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 17th:

[​IMG]

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 17th

[​IMG]
    Eternal Evil (aka The Blue Man) (1985) Rating: 2.5/5

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966) :troll::troll::joshua::joshua::joshua:
    I don't know which is more absurd, the Frankenstein western or the love at first sight romance between Jesse and a chiquita. Also since when could an American sheriff take over a Mexican town? You couldn't even cross state boarders back then none the less international ones! Still, I can't help but love Miss Frankensteins trying to rule the world. And this gal does have one of the more successful goes at it; comparatively. I don't know, somehow it kinda works here for me.

Elvira did some simple but effective skits with lots of Spanglish wantonly thrown around. Some surprisingly off color post-humorous jokes too. I hope she does a very French movie very soon!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  9. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of HorribluHalloween

Blu-ray
    DVD
    Streaming
    October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    2. The Others
    October 2, 2011:
    3. My Soul to Take
    4. Case 39
    October 3, 2011:
    5. The Haunting in Connecticut
    October 4, 2011:
    6. Bereavement
    October 5, 2011:
    7. The Amityville Horror (2005)
    October 7, 2011:
    8. Scream 4
    October 8, 2011:
    9. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
    10. The Last House on the Left (1972)
    October 9, 2011:
    11. Troll Hunter
    BONUS: Frankenstein (1931)
    October 10, 2011:
    12. Friday the 13th Part 2
    October 13, 2011:
    13. Friday the 13th Part 3 (3D)
    October 15, 2011:
    14. Blood & Chocolate
    15. Splinter
    BONUS: Dracula (1931)
    October 17, 2011:
    16. Hollow Man
    The Film- 7.5/10​
    PQ- 9.5/10​
    AQ- 8.5/10​

Hollow Man is an enjoyable film. A CGI showcase at the time, it stands up now more for Kevin Bacon's deliciously twisted performance. This film has always seemed as if its creators watched The Invisible Man and then set out to do everything they knew we were all thinking The Invisible Man would do if it weren't made in such timid times.
    A word on the Blu-ray: Sony tends to impress but this transfer really is a home run. Deep inky blacks, a fine dusting of natural grain and extreme fine detail make for an incredibly pleasing visual presentation.

10. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 14th-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

October 15th-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

October 16th-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

October 17th-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/17 #25

[​IMG]

Doom Asylum (1987)

Silly but entertaining slasher comedy with decent blood letting. Filmed in the abandoned Essex Mountain Sanatorium which makes for a perfect location. 4.5/5

12. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Masters Of Horror: Dream Cruise DVD
    Masters Of Horror: Imprint DVD

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 17:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Bog (1984) - First off, the picture quality of this DVD is like a third generation VHS copy so it's hard to make out what's going on half the time and then the movie itself is pretty damn bad. No gore, terrible acting, bad editing...it might have been ok in a cheesy way if it weren't for the crap quality of the dvd.

14. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

October 2nd

02. Thriller: The Ordeal of Dr. Cordell (1961)

October 3rd

03. Thriller: Trio for Terror (1961)

October 4th

04. Thriller: Papa Benjamin (1961)

October 5th

05. Thriller: Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (1961)

October 6th

06. Thriller: The Devil's Ticket (1961)

October 7th

07. Thriller: Parasite Mansion (1961)

October 8th

08. Thriller: Mr. George (1961)

October 9th

09. Thriller: The Terror in Teakwood (1961)

October 10th

10. Thriller: The Prisoner in the Mirror (1961)

October 11th

11. Thriller: Dark Legacy (1961)

October 12th

12. The Black Cat (1934)

October 13th

13. The Raven (1935)

October 14th

14. Dracula (1931)

October 15th

15. Frankenstein (1931)

October 16th

16. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

October 17th

17. Son of Frankenstein (1939)

October 18th

18. Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)

15. Anubis

Anubis New Member

10/17/2011:

[​IMG]

16. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Third weekend of October:

The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season: This excellent TV show, set in the Atlanta area, follows a group of survivors as they attempt to make their way in a world overrun with flesh-eating zombies. It's very cinematic, with high production values and surprising amounts of gore for even cable TV. What really sells it though, is its attention to story and character development. I'm still making my way through the extras on this 3-disc set, and am eagerly looking forward to what's in store for Season Two. I hope it retains its high visual standards and remains grounded in reality. (I've also started getting collections of the comic this show is based on, but haven't started reading them yet.)

[​IMG]

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/18 #26

[​IMG]

Next of Kin (1984)

Creepy happenings, murder and dark secrets in an elderly home. Yep, this one still sends chills down my spine. Great film, amazing soundtrack. 4.5/5

18. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I love Next of Kin, I only watched it for the first time this year but it already has one of my favorite endings. From the keyhole bit until the very end I couldn't take my eyes off the screen, I'm not sure if I even blinked.

19. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I always end up watching less horror than usual in October, but here's some of what I've watched.

Just doing this in alphabetical order because I haven't been keeping track of dates of the TV shows.

Brutal Massacre - This is fully a comedy, but it has enough horror people in it to make it count here.

I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle - Some satanic cult leader possesses a motorcycle with his dying breath after being killed by a bike gang leader armed with a crossbow (?). The vampire motorcycle rides around at night killing the shit out of bikers, a meter maid and a guy named Buzzer.

More Brains! A Return to the Living Dead - Great documentary featuring all the living cast and crew of Return of the Living Dead. James Karen is hilarious, I hope that guy lives forever. Not sure if Jewel Shephard was high on anything but she kinda seemed like a bit of an asshole at times.

The Nesting - Not sure how much of this I saw because I fell asleep several times

Night Warning - Probably the most times I've heard "fag" or "faggot" in a movie, and all from one character. I'm not gay but even I was getting offended by the number of times that cop called Billy, the coach or the first guy that got killed a faggot. Good movie though, I'll buy it if it ever comes out with a proper release.

Scream Bloody Murder

I've also watched a lot of horror TV episodes:

Charles in Charge - Halloween

Community - Introduction to Statistics - Chevy Chase dresses up as The Beastmaster, gets really high, freaks out and builds a fort of chairs and tables.

Family Matters - Dark and Stormy Night - With Halloween cancelled the Winslows (and Urkle) tell a "pass the ghost story" with Carl and Harriet as hilariously stupid looking vampires.

Modern Family -

Roseanne - Boo!

Silver Spoons - A Dark and Stormy Night - Same title as the Family Matters episode, this also features a "pass the ghost story" idea with one person telling part of a story, then another person taking over, then another...

Two Guys and a Girl - Two Guys, a Girl and a Psycho Halloween - Fun episode with Ryan Reynold's doppelganger axe murdering everyone at a Halloween party.

20. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 18th

15. Return Of The Living Dead (1985)
    16. Red State (2011)