The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    Scared to Death (1947) :troll::joshua::joshua::joshua::joshua:

Pathetic really in its attempts at frights. Their idea of a good scare is to randomly cut to a blue face floating outside a window every five minutes. That's not scary, just confusing to the point of apathy. Zucco and Lugosi play off each other rather well though and the filler material is about as good as it gets in these poverty rows. There's just no thrills for the audience to get excited over leaving little left to enjoy. Skip it.

Elvira has a pretty solid number of skits on this one, playing off of a rather good Martha Stewert impersonation. For an apparent Halloween episode it's rather weak but as a regular episode it still good. Probably would have been better if they had a better movie to riff on.

I'm saving that for just before Halloween along with Ghost Breakers.

2. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 10th:

Cannibal Campout (1988)
    Ravenous (1999)
    Cannibal Ferox (1981)
    Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
    Eaten Alive (1980)

3. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[GLOW="Orange"]Damage's Halloween Horrors 2011[/GLOW]
    Monday, October 10th, 2011:
    [​IMG]
    The Green Slime (1968)
    Astronauts save the world by blowing up an asteroid on a collision course with Earth but bring back an alien green slime to the space station in the process. Well, wouldn't you know it, this green slime mutates into one-eyed tentacled monsters and chaos ensues. This Japanese/US co-production is a blast and the theme song by Charles Fox just might be the best song ever. Yes, ever.

The count so far...
    01. Scalps (1983)
    02. They Came from Beyond Space (1967)
    03. Galaxy of Terror (1981)
    04. The Last House on the Left (1972)
    05. Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla (1952)
    06. The Child (1977)
    07. The Green Slime (1968)

4. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Halloween-y Movie month slowly continues on (due to being crazy busy with "actual" things to do this year, my movie watching's been a bit down this year...hopefully we'll get caught up in the enxt couple of weeks) :

[​IMG]
    6. "Invaders From Mars" - Tobe Hooper's 1985 reworking of the 50's classic, while being a fun flik, leaves a bit to bit desired over-all. SDtan Winston's amazing Alien constumes and puppets pretty much steal the the show, but the wooden acting from the main kid and Karen Black's school nurse certainly don't help the film. First time I've watched it in years. Sad to say that it just didn't hold up. (Could be that it was TOO close to the original?)

[​IMG]
    7. "Monster Squad" - Anyone that doesn't like Fred Dekker's homage to the Universal classics of the 30's and 40's is a person that makes me sad. Yes, it's cheesy in that glorious 1980's kinda way (who doesn't love a montage?), but it's nothing short of magical to me. I could literally watch this movie a couple times a week and never tire of it.

[​IMG]
    8. "Demons" - Lambarto Bava's "Demons" is, to me, like Italy's answer to "The Evil Dead".....only on tons of Coke....and, you know, REALLY Italian. It's one of my fav fliks of any genre, and it just gets better each time I watch it. It's fun, it's gory, it's tense, it's over-the-top, and it's just a roller coaster. Hell, it even keeps rolling AFTER the the credits, lol. Thumbs way up.

[​IMG]
    9. "Bride of Re-Animator" - Yet another Brian Yuzna sequel to a bonafide classic that actually comes close to surpassing the original. As much as I love "Re-Animator", I think I may enjoy "Bride" just a little more. It picks up where the original left off, it doesn't waste time setting up any kind of story, and it's a special ef-x extravaganza in every sense of the word. It's another mostly-lost gem, sadly. Anyone that a fan of horror, gore, or the glory days of special ef-x make-up really NEEDS to see this one. The only gripe I have is that, in the US, we're stuck with a pretty lousy, cheap, pan-and-scan DVD transfer. I'd give my right leg for a new Blu Ray that had a great transfer and sound.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1: Halloween (1978)
    Oct 1: Halloween II (1981)
    Oct 1: Terror in the Aisles (1984)
    Oct 2: Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    Oct 2: The Haunted Palace (1963)
    Oct 2: The Oblong Box (1969)
    Oct 3: Kolchak: The Night Stalker "The Energy Eater" (1974)
    Oct 3: Kolchak: The Night Stalker "Horror in the Heights" (1974)
    Oct 3: Kolchak: The Night Stalker "The Spanish Moss Murders" (1974)
    Oct 4: Lady Frankenstein (1971)
    Oct 4: The Velvet Vampire (1971)
    Oct 5: The Invisible Man (1933)
    Oct 5: Frankenstein (1931)
    Oct 6: The Wolf Man (1941)
    Oct 6: Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
    Oct 7: Horror of Dracula (1958)
    Oct 7: The Mummy (1959)
    Oct 8: The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    Oct 8: Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
    Oct 9: Rituals (1977)
    Oct 9: Just Before Dawn (1981)
    Oct 9: Grotesque (1988)
    Oct 10: Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    Oct 10: The Devil Within Her (1975)

6. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Second Weekend of October:

The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence): Filmed in noir-ish black and white, this sequel follows Martin, a pudgy simpleton who is obsessed with the first film, as he tries to replicate Dr. Heiter's experiment in a vacant warehouse to create his own 12-person centipede. Unlike the first film, which showed a good deal of restraint with its outlandishly repellent concept, this film is as violent and disgusting as can be. It's preposterous and has a stupid cop-out ending. But it also has shit (some of it literal) that you just won't see anywhere else. If you're in the mood for a fucked-up geek show, this is it.

Halloween II (1981): Though not quite as good as the original, this is one of my favorite slashers. It has some of the same style as the first film, but the wider color palette and the electronic version of the familiar music themes give it its own unique feel as well. It also has a mean-spiritedness to it that contrasts well with the first film and adds to its appeal (without getting really nasty like the Rob Zombie entries).

Terror in the Aisles: I was excited to hear that this would be included on the Halloween II Blu-ray. A local TV station that showed horror double features on Saturday afternoons used to play it, and I was looking forward to seeing it again. Unfortunately, it didn't really hold up. It seems padded with a lot of clips from thrillers and action movies. Some of the scenes from movies I'm not terribly familiar with also seem to be significant spoilers. All in all, I think Universal did the right thing in making this a bonus on a related title instead of an individual release.

[​IMG]

7. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Blood Reign: Curse Of The Yoma DVD
    Pet Shop Of Horrors DVD

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Ya, its a ripoff but I love the Hazing. You know what would make THE EVIL DEAD and NIGHT OF THE DEMONS even better; Tiffany Shepis. I wish THE HAZING would get a better release. That DVD sucked.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** denotes first time viewing

10/01 - Halloween (1978) 8/10
    10/01 - Halloween II (1981) 6/10
    10/02 - Terror in the Aisles (1984) 8/10 **
    10/03 - The Beast and the Magic Sword (1983) 7/10 **
    10/04 - Massacre at Central High (1976) 7/10 **
    10/05 - Demented (1980) 4/10 **
    10/06 - Night of the Howling Beast (aka The Werewolf and the Yeti) (1975) 6/10 **
    10/07 - Killer Fish (1979) 3/10 **
    10/08 - The Prey (Uncut) (1984) 1/10 **
    10/09 - Stone Cold Dead (1979) 3/10 **
    10/10 - Count Dracula's Great Love (1972) 6/10 **
    10/10 - Elvira's Movie Macabre: Count Dracula's Great Love (1972) 6/10 **

[​IMG]

Stone Cold Dead (1979) 3/10 **

The "Sin Sniper" is killing hookers in Toronto. This one starts off with a ton of promise. Richard Crenna has plenty of great lines as he wanders a sleazy "New York-esque" backdrop. There is an interesting killer and an entertaining score. The problem starts around the 45 minute mark when you realize its been 30 minutes since you've seen the killer. The drama between Crenna and his classy prostitute lady friend wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention. But even more damning, once the killer was revealed I didn't buy the motivation behind the killings.

[​IMG]

Count Dracula's Great Love (1972) 6/10 **

Four women are forced to take refuge in a remote sanitarium when their carriage is disabled. I was bit nervous about watching my first non-Wolfman Naschy film. I really enjoy the Waldemar Daninsky character. After watching COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE I still prefer the Wolfman but this was fun. I suppose it would be impossible for not to enjoy constant parade of beautiful woman in various stages of undress. There are plenty of gothic touches to enjoy as well. The story is a bit hard to follow but it really gets interesting in the third act and the finale is a shocker. I've enjoyed the English dubs in of some the other Naschy films I've seen but I'd like to see this get an original language with subs for future viewings.

[​IMG]

Elvira's Movie Macabre: Count Dracula's Great Love (1972) 6/10 **

It's Elvira. She's incredibly sexy and funny. It was interesting to see that this Shout Factory release had all of the gore and nudity. Too bad in wasn't widescreen because this film looks terrible with the sides cut off. But its good to see classic Elvira again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

double post, sorry.

11. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of Horriblu Halloween

Blu-ray
    DVD
    Streaming

October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    2. The Others
    October 2, 2011:
    3. My Soul to Take
    4. Case 39
    October 3, 2011:
    5. The Haunting in Connecticut
    October 4, 2011:
    6. Bereavement
    October 5, 2011:
    7. The Amityville Horror (2005)
    October 7, 2011:
    8. Scream 4
    October 8, 2011:
    9. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
    10. The Last House on the Left (1972)
    October 9, 2011:
    11. Troll Hunter
    BONUS: Frankenstein (1931)
    October 10, 2011:
    12. Friday the 13th Part 2
    The Film- 9/10​
    PQ- 8.5/10​
    AQ- 7.5/10​

I've said it before: I LOVE Friday the 13th Part 2. In my mind, THIS is the film that really set the tone and the template for the enormous wave of slashers to follow. Our introduction to Jason Voorhees doesn't disappoint and the formula, that grows tired later in the series, still feels fresh and still works here. With arguably the best final girl in the series (IMHHO, Ginny Fields is rivaled only by Tina Shephard from New Blood) and the best kill in the series
    (Machete-to-face wheelchair-down-the-steps)
    , this film really does stand decapitated-head and machete-wounded shoulder above the rest of the sequels.
    The Blu-ray is about as good as we can hope this film to look. Detail is good and the fiml grain is authentically preserved. The audio is solid as well- I can hear details that I could not before on the original DVDs (non-SE) and, although it is sometimes somewhat shrill, any deficiencies are probably in the original source.

12. Anubis

Anubis New Member

Started my October horror marathon a little late this year with one of my faves....

10/10/2011

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 10th

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Teen Wolf (1985) Rating: 3.5/5 | Science Crazed (1988) Rating: Defies any rating.

14. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

That film really does seem "crazed"; I loved the BleedingSkull review of it. Did you find it equally enjoyably ridiculous?

15. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 10th

3. House on Haunted Hill 1959
    4. The Wolfman 1941

16. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

October 2nd

02. Thriller: The Ordeal of Dr. Cordell (1961)

October 3rd

03. Thriller: Trio for Terror (1961)

October 4th

04. Thriller: Papa Benjamin (1961)

October 5th

05. Thriller: Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (1961)

October 6th

06. Thriller: The Devil's Ticket (1961)

October 7th

07. Thriller: Parasite Mansion (1961)

October 8th

08. Thriller: Mr. George (1961)

October 9th

09. Thriller: The Terror in Teakwood (1961)

October 10th

10. Thriller: The Prisoner in the Mirror (1961)

October 11th

11. Thriller: Dark Legacy (1961)

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.9th.
    His Name Was Jason...
    Scream IV (again!!)
    Oct.10th.
    Dead Snow. It's a damn good zombie film IMO.

18. cjg

cjg Active Member

Choose

19. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the A&C Meet Frankenstein/Ghost Breakers double bill is standard Halloween viewing fare in my household too.

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/10 #15

[​IMG]

Anguish (1987)

Zelda Rubinstein delivers as "The Mommy" plus you get a few great psychedelic hypno-moments. Why aren't there more film-in-film movies? 4/5

10/11 #16

[​IMG]

Stagefright (1987)

Thrilling slasher, and I always forget how gory it actualy is. Certainly one of Soavi's finest. 4.5/5