The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Tremors: Collector's Edition
    Year: 1990
    Director: Ron Underwood
    Rating: PG-13
    Length: 96 Min.
    Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
    Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
    Kevin Bacon
    Fred Ward
    Finn Carter
    Michael Gross
    Reba McEntire
    Bobby Jacoby

Plot:
    Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward star as two country handymen who lead a cast of zany characters to safety in this exciting sci-fi creature comedy.

Just as Val McKee (Bacon) and Earl Basset (Ward) decide to leave Perfection, Nevada, strange rumblings prevent their departure. With the help of a shapely seismology student (Finn Carter), they discover their desolate town is infested with gigantic man-eating creatures that live below the ground.

The race is on to overcome these slimy subterraneans and find a way to higher ground, in this enjoyable thriller co-starring Michael Gross and Reba McEntire.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Feature Trailers
    Deleted Scenes
    Featurettes
    Gallery
    Production Notes
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    This is a movie that for some reason I always enjoyed... ever since I brought it home the very first time... when I rented it on VHS. Wow that was a long time ago. One thing I really liked about this... is you don't have to be a horror fan to enjoy this monster movie. My brother (who hates horror) loves this series of movies. This is what I personally call a "light horror". It is a nice mix of horror and comedy. And even now when I watch it (after watching the entire series of Reba) don't recognize Reba McIntyre when she is on the screen... though her voice with her accent is unmistakable. The DVD release is really good. nice quality and a nice collection of extras! What more can you ask?

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 18
    TV Ep. Count: 11
    Other Count: 0
    Time Started: 5:30pm

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 06:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lake Placid 3: I watched a TV rip of this so I don't know if there's any difference between this and the unrated DVD. Maybe some nudity cut out? Anyway if you liked part 2 you'll probably like this one as well. Actually I think this one was slightly better but still had the horrible cgi crocs, lazy & cliched storytelling, bad acting and some really ridiculous croc moments. What this one had going for it was Yancy Butler's waaaay over-the-top performance as a hunting guide. I mean she really tried her best to make this mess enjoyable and partially succeeded. Still pretty damn bad and even frustrating to watch.

Then I played Anthropophagus to cleanse my palette. Been watching a lot of crap lately.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  3. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 5th-

[​IMG]

Watched all three last night. Never seen the third one before. First two are old favorites. The third one was fair, but didn't have the charm of the other two.

4. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

I think I'm in the minority,but I believe I liked SPM 3 the best..the gritty realism just worked for me,and Brittain (Hide And Go Shriek) Frye channeled some serious Ted Bundy-esque dementedness that set it firmly apart from the other two.

Watched F13th:The Final Chapter,and am working on The Evil (the other half of Corman's double feature).

*Update* bored to tears with The Evil, re-watching SPM 3 (sans commentary)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  5. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    KEY: Blu-Ray HD-DVD DVD Laserdisc Netflix Instant
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead
    10/02/2010: Deep Red
    10/03/2010: Inferno
    10/04/2010: The Omen (1976)
    10/05/2010: Beauty and the Beast
    (okay, so its not really a horror movie but my wife really wanted to watch it and it does kinda have some undertones from classic horror tales... I'll make up for it later!)
    10/06/2010: Hostel; Sleepy Hollow
    Total: 7

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  6. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Movie #11 : "The Dead Hate The Living" (2000)

[​IMG]

I love this movie! I know that a lot of people find it kind of obnoxious, and some people find it a bit too referential, but I just find it really enjoyable. The slow first 20 minutes gets you to actually like the characters and the last 70 are a non-stop roller coaster! Low budget, tons of in-jokes, some above average acting for a film of this budget/scope, and a nice visual style (with the exception of a few not-so-special effects) make this one a keeper in my book. If anything, it was a bit too ambitious and should have cut a bit back, but it it's over-the-top nature is one of its charms.

7. i finally got to watch REC because it was on FearNet.i'm happy...loved it!

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Slaughterhouse of the Rising Sun (2005)

After a mental breakdown an actress joins a hippie-like group hanging out in the desert. They do drugs and talk about a House at the edge of the woods that supposed to be haunted. When The Manson Family meets Let's Scare Jessica To Death - entertaining 70s horror-homage that should please House of the Devil fans as well.
    October/Halloween score: 3.5/5 for including inner monologues, trippy stew, ghost story at campfire, glowing eyes, glowing spirits, disembowelling, religious hitchhiker.

Boo (2005)

Four friends decide to hang out at a spooky old sanatorium on Halloween but evil spirits are spoiling their fun. Quality 'A' Indie Horror that is sadly overlooked. Solid genre effort delivering the goodies.
    October/Halloween score: 4.5/5 for including spooky old sanatorium, taking place on Halloween, exploding guts & gore, Haunted House theme, white ghosts, haunted elevator, Dee Wallace cameo, key-toss, flashbacks, pumpkin carving.

9. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Village of the Damned
    Year: 1960
    Director: Wolf Rilla
    Rating: NR
    Length: 77 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
    George Sanders
    Barbara Shelley
    Martin Stephens
    Michael Gwynn
    Laurence Naismith
    The Villagers

Plot:
    Something is seriously amiss in the tiny British village of Midwich. At 11 a.m. one morning, every village resident suddenly falls asleep — and then, just as suddenly, everyone wakes up, completely unaffected by the phenomenon. Well, not completely: virtually every woman of childbearing years has become pregnant. All the babies are born on the same night, at precisely the same moment. All look the same, weigh the same, and even have the same curious cross-hatched hair and underdeveloped fingernails. Four years later, the children have all prematurely reached the age of nine or so — and all behave in a weird, conspiratorial manner, comporting themselves more like adults than kids. Resident scientist George Sanders, one of the fathers, surmises that the bizarre manner of the children — from their zombie-like movements to their cold, staring eyes — is the result of radioactivity, possibly extraterrestrial in nature. One thing is certain: the children possess powers far beyond those of ordinary mortals. And they must be stopped.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
    I have been wanting to see this movie every since I saw the remake when it was first released. I am glad I finally got to see the original. One I enjoyed very much. Sure some of the few effects they used could have been better. But the glowing of the kids eyes was cool. Now that I have seen the original I can say the remake stayed pretty true to the original... but I prefer the original. One thing is that I liked how the characters were portrayed better. And another... I think the story in black and white added to the eeriness of the movie. I can see myself watching this one again. If you have only ever seen the remake... and enjoyed it... I must urge you to give the original a try.

Count:
    Movie Count: 19
    Other Count: 0
    Time Started: 4:45am

10. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    100 Years of Horror: The Complete Collection
    This frightfully fascinating five-DVD set chronicles the history of movie horror from earliest experimental chillers through the unforgettable "golden age of movie monsters" and on through today's graphic horror films in 26 horrific, half-hour shows. Hosted by Christopher Lee, the screen's legendary King of Horror, the series features appearances by Robert De Niro, Jamie Lee Curtis, Hugh Hefner, Charlton Heston, Kenneth Branagh, Joe Dante, and many more.

Also featured are rare interviews with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr., Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Claude Rains. Included as a special bonus are never-before-seen interviews with the friends and families of the legendary names of horror such as Bela Lugosi, Jr.; Boris Karloff's daughter, Sarah Karloff; Claude Rains' daughter, Jessica Rains, and more.

The collection also includes chilling scenes from such classics as Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Phantom Of The Opera, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, The Creature From The Black Lagoon, and The Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well as more recent chillers such as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Halloween, Poltergeist and The Haunting. Plus home movies from the sets of horror classics, outtakes, screen tests, previously "lost" films, and other exciting surprises. Easily the most interesting and informative horror chronology ever assembled.

Short Watched:
    Ghosts
    Nothing like a good ghost story - except a century's worth of films filled with more ghost stories.

My Thoughts:
    This is a nice little (22min) documentary short on ghost films. It had clips from movies that I knew and ones that I didn't know. Giving me some ideas for future purchases. I was particularly interested in the first one they mentioned... The Uninvited. As new as I am to the classic horrors... I was surprised to see I knew more of the movies mentioned then ones I didn't know.

Count:
    Movie Count: 19
    Other Count: 1
    Time Started: 6:45am

11. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
    Year: 1966
    Director: Alan Rafkin
    Rating: NR
    Length: 90 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen :1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
    Don Knotts
    Joan Staley
    Liam Redmond
    Dick Sargent
    Skip Homeier

Plot:
    To convince his boss to let him be a reporter, lowly newspaper typesetter Luther Heggs (Knotts) decides to spend a night at an old haunted house hoping to solve a 20-year-old murder case. After encountering a ghost, he pens a story that makes front-page news. But when he fails to back up his claim, Luthor's branded a fraud - until he and his devoted girlfriend team up to uncover the mystery of the ghostly goings-on in this side-splitting film that will have you screaming with laughter.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
    Sure... this is more comedy then anything. But I felt it fit good in the spirit of Halloween. I haven't seen this movie in years. Not since I was a kid. About 30yrs ago! And I while I did enjoy it... it wasn't as funny as I remembered it being as a kid. But I did like it enough to say it will probably be the best movie I got in this Don Knotts box set.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 20
    Time Started: 8:00am

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1st: Race With the Devil (1975)
    Oct 2nd: Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)
    Oct 4th: Night of the Creeps (1986)
    Oct 5th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    Oct 6th: Return of the Living Dead (1985)

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I watched The Wasp Woman last night.

Never, ever watch The Wasp Woman.

14. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Decoys
    Year: 2004
    Director: Matt Hastings
    Rating: R
    Length: 96 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
    Subtitles: English

Stars:
    Corey Sevier
    Stefanie von Pfetten
    Kim Poirier
    Elias Toufexis
    Meghan Ory
    Enis Esmer

Plot:
    Some students aren't exactly what they seem to be in DECOYS, a sci-fi/horror adventure starring Kim Poirier (Dawn of the Dead), Richard Burgi (Starship Troopers 2), Corey Sevier (TV's "North Shore") and Nicole Eggert (TV's "Baywatch").

If college coeds Lily and Constance look like two out-of-this-world blonde beauties, that's because they're actually intergalactic space invaders with a mission: to breed with humans before taking over the Earth. And even though the girls' mating skills have proven fatal to their victims, they keep on trying. So when Luke, a hard-partying freshman, accidentally witnesses the shapely shape-shifters in their full-bodied alien state, he knows it's up to him to save the planet before he truly gets wasted.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Bonus Trailers
    Featurettes
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    I went into this one not expecting too much.... and it is a good thing I didn't. While not a terribly bad movie... it was no more then an average low-budget fair. It seemed like I seen it all before. It was like they took the idea of 2 or 3 different movies... slapped it together.... and then put it into a cold setting. It even had the all too expected "surprise" ending that I saw coming a mile away. I would say the only thing this one really had going for it is pretty girls in skimpy clothes. Well the did make the aliens in their natural form look pretty cool... but even that reminded me of aliens from another movie.

My Rating: 2.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 21
    Time Started: 10:30am

15. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

October 3rd

03. Bay of Blood (1971)

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th (1980)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

October 7th

07. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

16. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

October 6th

12.SHAUN OF THE DEAD(2004)
    Funny and gory in equal measures,Dawn of the dead for the 21st century and shows a lot of love for what came before it and will be referenced for all that follow it, even none gore fans love this classic, 5\5

13.THE FRIGHTENERS(1996)
    Michael J Fox is great as a man who can see and communicate with ghosts and who trys to stop the spirit of a serial killer from his killing spree, a great comic horror film from Peter Jackson 5/5

14.FEAST (2005)
    A roadhouse bar in the middle of nowhere under attack from a family of monsters. loads of gory fun and great trying to guess who will get killed next from the bunch of varied characters. 4/5

DOG SOLDIERS (2002)
    My favorite werewolf movie , a platoon of soldiers on what seems a routine training mission in the scottish highlands comes under attack from a band of werewolfs, the soldiers hole up in a house and try to survive till morning.
    The movie is very funny, gory , fast paced and full of action, 5/5

17. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 7th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14) Cellar Dweller: A boring, forgettable monster flick. The only redeemable qualities of watching this is for a brief cameo from Jeffery Combs and some great special effect provided by John Carl Buchler. Hands down the worst film I've watched so far this month. (5/10)

15) The Strangeness: Despite the silly stop motion creature that would make Ray Harryhausen pissed off, I really enjoy this for what it's worth. Sure it has some slow parts, but the dark confined locations really added to the creepiness. Although a certain British film would come along a some 20 years later and perfect this concept (*cough* The Descent *cough*) (7/10)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  18. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: The Final Destination
    Year: 2009
    Director: David R. Ellis
    Rating: R
    Length: 82 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
    Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
    Bobby Campo
    Shantel VanSanten
    Nick Zano
    Haley Webb
    Mykelti Williamson
    Krista Allen

Plot:
    The movie series that taps into your deepest fears returns with a new and imaginative chapter that delivers the expected — in so many keep-you-guessing, unexpected ways! A strange premonition causes friends to abandon their day at the speedway, just before a crushing pileup hurtles cars into the bleachers with fiery consequences. They have cheated Death. But Death is only getting started. From the director of Snakes on a Plane comes the eerie, innovative tale of the friends' fierce fight to keep themselves and others alive.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Bonus Trailers
    Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
    I have heard from more then one person that this movie sucks... but I wanted to see it anyway since I liked all 3 of the previous films. And it is a good thing I didn't listen to them... as I enjoyed every minute of it. I like to watch movies that I don't even have to think about at times. Ones where I can just sit back and watch the mayhem.... watch the blood flow... watch the pure gore of people getting torn apart. And all of that is here. This is definitely not for you if you don't like the gory movies. So while you may not agree with me... this is one I liked a lot... one I am glad I have added to my Final Destination collection.

Count:
    Movie Count: 22
    Time Started: 12:30pm

19. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Oct. 5th
    * House of Frankenstein (1944)

Oct. 6th
    * Slaughter High (1986)

Oct. 7th
    * Repossessed (1990)

Oct. 11th
    *Let Me In (2010)

Oct. 12th
    *My Best Friend Is a Vampire (1987)
    *Clash of the Titans (1981)

Oct. 15th
    *Drive Thru (2007)

Oct. 16th
    *Tamara (2005)
    *P2 (2007)

Oct. 23rd
    Paranormal Activity 2

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2010 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Monster Squad (1987) 9/10
    Night of the Creeps (1986) 7.5/10
    Are You Afraid of the Dark S:1 - The Tale of the Twisted Claw (1992) 7/10
    The Office S:2 - Halloween (2005) 7/10
    The Dark (1979) 6.5/10
    C.H.U.D. (1984) 8/10
    REC (2007) 8.5/10
    Pieces (1982) 7.5/10
    The Being (1983) 6/10
    Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1980) 7/10
    One Dark Night (1983) 7/10
    Girls Nite Out (1984) 8/10
    Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House (1992) 8/10

Girls Nite Out - Wow, this one came out of nowhere. I thoroughly enjoyed this slasher flick from the 80s, probably even putting it up there with the best of them. The characters are all so unique and fun, the killer wears a cool bear suit with knives for claws, and the scavenger hunt was a fun way to have them roaming around outside. On the downside, the kills weren't that unique, and there was a dull moment where the police are questioning the students, but thankfully that scene only last a few minutes and doesn't really hurt the pace of this film too much. The ending was a nice surprise as well, if not a little expected for slasher fans.

Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House - Home Improvement is up there with Roseanne for having the best Halloween specials. You could tell both shows really went all out with their shows (Roseanne especially), and even if you dislike them, their Halloween specials are still worth a watch. This one if one of my favourites, from the earlier second season. It revolves around the oldest son Brad throwing a Halloween party at the house and Tim Taylor creating a haunted house in their basement. A lot of fun!