The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 7TH:

HOUSE OF DEATH.png

20. House Of Death (aka Death Screams) (1982) (Blu-ray) - I love this movie so much, and had pretty much given up hope of it ever hitting blu-ray. Arrow is the perfect home for it too, as it's a perfect fit with their other east-coast regional slashers of the time like The Mutilator and Blood Rage. That said, slasher fans will have to be a little patient with this one, as a majority of the carnage is held until the last 15 minutes. Those last 15 minutes though, they sure do deliver. Prior to that, this movie is just a nice cozy vibes. I love the small town setting and this assortment of fun characters, I love the diner, the carnival, the scary stories in the graveyard ("Maniacs Lick Hands Too"), hanging out by the riverside. Honestly, I don't even care if the slasher shows up, that's just the cherry on top. This movie is a total gem. Even though Arrow only had a 35mm print to work with, I'm grateful they decided to proceed with the restoration and release (if I recall, VS's Joe Rubin is credited with the transfer in the booklet). They did a really great job. My only complaint is that having owned the House Of Death VHS with my personal favorite artwork (the machete in the window), I will never get used to the Death Screams title. I even own the Death Screams theatrical poster with the screaming woman, but this will always be House Of Death to me. They do include that artwork on the booklet, but it would have been a nice cover option. Arrow's release is an essential purchase for '80s slasher fans. I already want to watch it again.

OCTOBER 8TH:

MANOR.png

21. Welcome To The Blumhouse: The Manor (2021) (Amazon Prime) - After last week's disappointing offerings from Welcome To The Blumhouse, I can't say I was super enthusiastic about this week's. Well, The Manor turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Barbara Hershey stars as a woman who moves into a retirement home and starts to suspect there is something sinister afoot. Running a brisk 80 minutes, this one is focused and engaging, holding my interest from beginning to end. I loved Hershey's character and her grandson, giving this movie a heart the others in this series lack. The pay-off is not necessarily surprising, but it is effective and well-done. I only have two strikes against it, one being that I found it super depressing to see the wonderful Barbara Hershey in a retirement home, and the other being an extremely distracting and unnecessary cameo from Mick Garris. Otherwise, this is a solid little streaming movie. If you only watch one of these Blumhouse movies, make it this one!
    Also of note: the titular manor is the same mansion from House II: The Second Story.

HOUSE OF WAX.png

22. House Of Wax (2005) (Blu-ray) - Imagine having $40 million to make a straight-up teen slasher film? That will probably never happen again. I love it when big studio money goes into exploitation fare, and this is a perfect example of why. This movie is a lot of fun. The cast is slick, the sets are crazy, it's stylish, gory, and littered with suspense set-pieces. That studio money is put to big use in an absolutely over-the-top finale of good guys vs bad guys in a melting house of wax. At close to two hours, it maybe runs a little bit longer than a movie like this should, but that's a minor complaint. This is easily my personal favorite of that early '00s wave of Dark Castle remakes, and my second favorite of the production company's entire output after the same director's Orphan. Just an all-around good time, and can we have more studio slasher films, please and thank you? As for Scream Factory's disc, there's four new interviews but none bring much substance to the table. I'm not sure how the picture quality compares, but you can probably stick with the old Warner blu-ray that can probably be found for $5. If you're a slasher movie fan though, the movie is worth owning either way. Good stuff.

OCTOBER 9TH:

MADRES.png

23. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Madres (2021) (Amazon Prime) - After finally getting a winner with The Manor, here comes another dud with Madres to put a damper on things. There's maybe a decent concept for a horror movie in here somewhere, but this movie doesn't know how to get there. The concept is that a pregnant couple move to a small farming community, and the wife starts to suspect that the farming pesticides are being used as a way of genocide against the migrant community, specifically affecting pregnant women. The townsfolk have been brushing it off as a "curse". Again, this is a really interesting concept, but the presentation is a total bore. There's a lot of dreary bickering and wandering around the house for about an hour, and then when the genre stuff finally comes into play, it never has the guts to fully go there. It even ends with an overt PSA, which makes it feel like the filmmakers were more interested in presenting these last minute text statistics than actually making a genre film. Skip it, and I repeat: if you only watch one of these Blumhouse movies, make it The Manor instead!

Previous Entries:
    1. Girls School Screamers (1985)
    2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Black As Night (2021)
    4. Coming Home In The Dark (2021)
    5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Bingo Hell (2021)
    7. Blades (1989)
    8. Lost After Dark (2015)
    9. The Ghosting (1992)
    10. Midnight (1982)
    11. A Day Of Judgment (1981)
    12. Death On Demand (2008)
    13. Creepshow: Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5 "Pipe Screams / Within The Walls Of Madness" & "Night Of The Living Late Show"
    14. Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions (2021)
    15. Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1992)
    16. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 1 "Sequels That Don't Suck"
    17. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021)
    18. V/H/S/94 (2021)
    19. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 8 "Inside"

baggio, hots4, Colin and 7 others like this.
  2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm digging deep into movies I've owned forever but never watched...

* = First Time viewing...

Mill of the Stone Women (1960)*
    I was struggling to stay awake for the first hour because if you are like me, and I know all of you are, you've seen enough Italian gothic horrors to kind of feel all the beats of the story coming WAY before they get there. The leading man is a stiff, less charismatic Gregory Peck type, the villains fairly obvious and the pacing pretty slow. It did manage to make an impression on me in the last 15 minutes when it picked up and the imagery to end the film is fairly dark and haunting for a film of this vintage. I might need to re-visit down the line.

Hex (1980)*
    I'm not a huge Asian horror guy and this felt very, VERY familiar right out of the gates, standard-issue vengeful Asian ghost story, a few inexplicably out-of-place wacky comedy moments, light scares. At the half hour mark I thought I had it figured out. Then 45 minutes in you get a reasonably compelling twist. But what really blew my hair back was the last 20 minutes with the naked female ghost/exorcist dance-off/shoe-fight, spitting dog's blood on exposed breasts, full body calligraphy and ear-ripping. There's one more unnecessary tacked on twist at the end, but this was good enough I'll remember it. After watching this I realized I had seen the director's well-known Killer Snakes (1974), which I didn't care for at all. Hex, however, is very good for what it is.

hots4, Colin, CPT HOOK and 6 others like this.
  3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 9

36. Sinister 2 (2015) Netflix - Ex-Deputy So & So returns in the second installment. Same basic feel as the first movie. Thought this one was okay. Held my interest.

37. In The Tall Grass (2019) Netflix - I just downloaded this for a watch and didn't know much about it. Wasn't surprised to find out it was a Stephen King adaption. It starts out well enough and gets a little confusing as it rolls along. The grass was kind of cool. Reminds you a bit of a cornfield. Another okay flick.

38. Mimic (1997) Blu - Bought the trilogy recently that has the directors cut of the first movie. I hadn't watched this since the DVD came out back in 97 or 98. I couldn't really tell you what is different although the runtime was a bit longer from what I could tell researching. I like the movie and wanted to upgrade the DVD. I'll have to take in the theatrical cut soon as comparison.

39. The Curse Of Buckout Road (2017) Prime - This movie had a pretty good feel and kept my attention, but didn't like ending so much.

40. Scanner Cop II (1995) 4K - I got the two Scanner Cop movies as part of the secret Vinegar Syndrome titles from earlier this year. I watched the first a month or so ago and caught the sequel tonight. The movies to me are okay. I was a big fan of the original Scanners movie from years ago and feel most other Scanners related movie are definite step down in quality although still entertaining in their own right.

~Rocker10

hots4, Colin, CPT HOOK and 5 others like this.
  4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 9th: Silent Night, Bloody Night

Silent night.png

Eerie Christmas proto-slasher that feels like it could just as well have been directed by S.F. Brownrigg. Mary Woronov gets caught up in a series of strange events after a maniac escapes from an asylum and prominent townspeople start disappearing. It all seems tied the spooky old Butler House. I've always liked this one, from the sepia tone flashbacks to the crumbling locations, this movie feels haunted. It also delivers on the mayhem, including chopped off hands, death by burning, a brutal axe double murder, and a scene involving a shattered wineglass shot from the victim's point of view. Much like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, the actual bodily harm is mostly implied rather than shown. Mostly. The plot involves incest and mental illness and is a bit convoluted, relying heavily on exposition via the characters reading old newspaper articles and diaries to make sense of everything for the audience. Still, it works for me, and I enjoy the two equally perverse twists revealed at the end:

Firstly, many prominent townsfolk are actually escaped mental patients. Secondly, the male protagonist finds out that his biological father is his maternal grandfather, and that his mother died when he was a baby - murdered by the aforementioned escaped mental patients.

I watched this via the German Blu-ray release (using the alternative title Deathouse). I don't know what the source for this presentation is, but dialogue is easy to follow, and I've never seen the film look better. It isn't perfect, though. There is some frame damage as well as the the odd missing frame, which is perhaps to be expected of a film of this vintage and budget. Worse is the black crush and macroblocking in the darkest scenes. I'd welcome a better release.

5. Kim Bruun

Man, I hope this goes into one of Vinegar Syndrome's Televised Terror sets in the future. Easily one of my favourite made-for-tv horror/thrillers.

Harsh! :D It's definitely an imperfect movie, but I always liked it. I know, I know, you may think I like it simply because it's another disfigured maniac movie, but Deadly Manor fits into that category as well, and that one just barely held my attention. Yes, the main theme is a ripoff of Goblin's score for Suspiria. Yes, the whole meta scene of the lousy actress forcing the rest of the participants to sit through her lousy horror movies is cringy. And yes, the ending is kinda weak. Still, it's brutal and gory (that shower scene!), and the killer looks gnarly. Plus, I remember getting a couple of jolts from it on my first viewing.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 9th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

21) Smiley Face Killers: Inspired by the Smiley Face Killers urban legend, a college athlete grows paranoid that someone is stalking him. My interest in this boiled down to author Bret Easton Ellis as screenwriter, and not the lore surrounding the Smiley Face Killers (with the many theories being preposterous, in my opinion). Unfortunately, this was a huge letdown. The wild, subversive characters, and punchy dialogue found in Ellis’ novels are all but absent here, as we get a generic B-movie affair. The first hour or so is painfully dull, with boring, pretty college kids fucking around saying and doing a whole lotta nothing. When the killers do show up, things get more interesting. The deaths are over the top and gory, and there is a rather tense scene at a gas station that leads to a car chase. If it weren’t for those final 25-minutes or so, this would have been a complete waste. In retrospect, it wouldn’t surprise me if Ellis’ idea was built around the final act, then realized he had to craft a first and second act to get it to feature length. A bare minimum affair considering those involved. (3/10)

22) 10 Rillington Place: The true story of serial killer John Christie, who murdered his neighbors – and six other women – in post WWII London. An obscure horror thriller with an even more obscure serial killer, “10 Rillington Place” is an exercise in great acting and directing. Richard Attenborough was phenomenal as John Christie, playing a well-mannered sociopath hiding in plain sight. The film is confined – mostly – to the London flat where Christie committed most of his crimes, with the crisp dialogue and natural performances carrying the weight of every scene. Things do get murky in the final act though, feeling too rushed to get to the conclusion, but the story here is so outrageous and heartbreaking it didn’t ruin what is still a very good film. (7/10)

**Both titles are streaming on Amazon Prime.

7. Kim Bruun

October 10th: The Cat o' Nine Tails

Cat o nine tails.png

Having recently watched The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, it is impossible not to compare the two. I actually think The Cat o' Nine Tails has the more clever plot:

Bird centers on the main character misremembering or misunderstanding a visual clue - a ploy Argento would later use in Deep Red. Here, he assumes that a woman he sees struggling with a dark figure is the victim. At the the very end, he sees the scene play out in his mind again, because he has photographic memory or something, and oh, she was the one holding the knife! In Cat, a group of scientists link the presence of an extra Y chromosome with a tendency towards criminal behavior and violence. When tested, one of the scientists is found to have an extra Y chromosome, so he goes about killing everyone who knows his secret. Gee, way to support your own theory there, pal! IMO, the irony of the killer's motives is hilarious, even if the science is bunk.

That said, Cat and Bird are both visually arresting movies. Cat is a little bit sexier, with the girlfriend in Bird being replaced by mysterious femme fatale. Cat also scores slightly higher in terms of carnage, with two particularly dramatic death scenes - one being the man being pushed in front of an oncoming train, his body rolling under its wheels, and the other being a character falling down an elevator shaft, trying to slow his fall by grabbing the cables. Argento himself has expressed a dislike for Cat, which I never understood. I also dug the whole gay scene. While Argento may have used it for shock value, I still think he was bold to go there at all - even if Western European cinema was perhaps slightly more progressive at the time than American.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 10:
    Terror Train (1980)
    Rewatch (Joe Bob's Halloween Hoedown on Shudder)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)

I have 2 toddlers and am on the West Coast, so I always have to wait and catch the first feature of any Joe Bob special/episode on demand a few days after it originally airs because it coincides with bedtime. I know the double feature ended up being Angel (nothing to do with Halloween) and this (a New Year's Eve movie), which is very bizarre for a Halloween special. I can't poopoo the movie picks or the Joe Bob commentary with guests David Gordon Green and Jason Blum, it just would've made more sense as a regular season double feature.

[​IMG]
    Movie 11:
    Black Sunday (1960)
    Rewatch (Arrow's Macabre Visions: The Films of Mario Bava UK Blu-ray box set, Italian version)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    8. CRAFT NIGHT: Cast your eyes upon the screen, whence a witch's spell is surely seen.

Not my favorite Bava, but it has plenty of style and Barbara Steele should be a part of any Halloween season.

[​IMG]
    Movie 12:
    Freaks (1932)
    Rewatch (HBO Max)
    **** (out of 5)
    9. SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL: One with a misunderstood freak/mutant/abomination, etc.

Rides a line between empathy and exploitation that I'm still not sure how I feel about, but damn is it effective.

9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I’ve had it for a while but finally got around to watching Ogroff this weekend. I think I’ve seen this one compared to Devil Story a few times but what it really made me think of was the first 2 Violent Shit movies, just tamer and French instead German even though it doesn’t really matter since there’s barely any dialog in either. I enjoyed it but now I want to revisit at least one of the first 2 Violent Shit movies.

Another one I did this weekend was Night Train to Terror. I first watched this when Vinegar Syndrome put it out and it didn’t really leave an impression but upon revisiting it I could only wonder why as there was a lot to like about it. The stories were all pretty good, there was some decent gore, and even some cool looking claymation, like in Winterbeast.

CPT HOOK, Kim Bruun, Colin and 4 others like this.
  10. Rocker10

Day 10

41. Orphan (2009) Blu - I had never seen this movie. Not sure why, maybe the title, the cover, who knows. Came away liking it a lot. The performances were really good and Esther was batshit crazy. I see they are making another one to be released soon.

42. Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015) Blu - I've been enjoying the Insidious films. Figured I would wrap the other two today. The third focuses on Elise and her helping a teenage girl who has been targeted by an evil entity.

43. Insidious: The Last Key (2018) Blu - The 4th installment takes Elise back to her childhood home and brings some new family characters into the movie. Both of these were decent but a little bit down from the quality of the first two. I did find that they are releasing a new Insidious movie with Lyn Shaye and the two nieces titled the dark realm. The franchise lives on.

44. Mimic 2 (2001) Blu - The set that has the first movie in director's cut form also had the two sequels that quite honestly I didn't know existed. Probably for good reason. This one is a little closer to the first, but still quite different in that it feels much more like a B movie. A pretty weak film in my opinion.

45. Mimic 3: Sentinel (2003) Blu - It was pretty obvious that this movie was inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window, which in my opinion is a brilliant movie. This one is not. They even borrowed the font that looks like the font used in Rear Window. This movie has characters you don't care about (outside of Lance Henriksen because it's Lance), it feels really confined due to the Rear Window ripoff, and it's pretty short which is probably a good thing. Not quite sure why this one was even made as it's pretty weak.

~Rocker10

CPT HOOK, Kim Bruun, Colin and 6 others like this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 9th

THE HAND (1981)

[​IMG]

Comic book artist Jon Landsale (Michael Caine) is going through a difficult time with his wife Anne (Andrea Marcovicci). They are on the verge of a separation. In a heated argument while driving - an awful accident occurs involving their car, an aggressive motorist behind them determined to pass, and a truck driver with bad timing. Jon loses his right hand. They are unable to find the severed hand in an adjacent field, though his signet ring is later recovered. After losing his job, Jon moves into a cabin in Northern California upon securing a teaching gig at a community college. Easy to see how Landsale has not been himself ever since the tragic accident. Will the erratic behavior, blackouts, and hallucinations continue with the change of scenery?

The Hand was only the second film from director Oliver Stone. Comparable to his debut feature Seizure (1974), the story of psychological horror really gets into the head of the lead characters - both of whom happen to be artists. The Hand is able to run with the concept further on a bigger budget, a better lead actor, and some skillful editing techniques. Michael Caine gets your sympathy in the earlier portion of the film. Keeping those feelings is difficult though as he gradually descends into madness. The previous year's Dressed to Kill (1980) is the better film. Michael Caine however can pull off a horror role, even if this one was merely a paycheck. The car accident is an extremely bloody moment. Any and all gore to follow cannot compete with that scene.

Scream Factory's Blu-ray looks to be a nice improvement over the old DVD from Warner Brothers. Several new interviews are here, including Oliver Stone. He likes the film to this day and especially praised Caine's work. Caine on the other hand calls it one of his worst films in his autobiography.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015)

[​IMG]

Watched on Amazon Prime.

Never seen it before. Never heard or seen any of these actors before except for David Koechner and Cloris Leachman. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nobody was annoying to me, I instantly liked these guys/scouts. The pacing was good, nothing seemed boring.

Yes, there's a ton of "funny" zombie/horror movies out there. Almost too many imho. Anyway, this one is well made and it works. It brings plenty of violence/gore too. Some horror site gags/fx so well done, I'm like dam I bet "non comedy" horror films wish they could have put that in their movies.

As a bonus. Amazon has the Blu Ray for $5 currently. I'm gonna add it to my collection.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  13. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 10th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23) Slumber Party Massacre II: A group of teens are terrorized by a killer with a drill bit guitar. I saw the original “Slumber Party Massacre” many years ago and thought it was just ok, so I never bothered with the sequels. Over the years, I’ve noticed the second film has a very polarizing reputation, with some claiming it’s one of the best so-bad-it’s-good movies ever made, and others declaring it’s one of the worst slasher films ever made. After viewing I say I fall into the second camp. It tries too hard yet does too little. The filmmakers borrow heavily from “A Nightmare on Elm Street” but have an overly complicated, underdeveloped lore, and a villain that is beyond annoying (and ho occasionally breaks out into song). A truly dumb and pointless sequel. (2/10)

24) Edge of the Axe: Two computer nerds try to solve a series of murders in their mountain town. An odd blend of 80’s slasher and 70’s Giallo but fails to deliver. The narrative is too slow and messy, and it really tested my patience at points. The killer is generic looking, and the kills are silly. And then there is the plot, which is convoluted, with the killer’s motive being a bit too obvious despite the film having a million and one red herrings. The California mountainside did work as a great set piece, but the mystery was underwhelming and boring. (4/10)

25) The Prey (1983): A deformed maniac stalks a group of campers. An obvious “Friday the 13th” rip off, that is too drawn out – somehow – at just 75-minutes. Featuring a boring cast – except for an eccentric park ranger, who made me laugh unintentionally – and a lack of tension, “The Prey” is one of the more forgettable slashers I’ve seen in a while. I liked the use of POV, and keeping the killer in the background, but the various – and random – shots of wildlife and insects were unnecessary (and I’m sure they were inserted to stretch the runtime). When the climax hits, and we finally see the killer, it’s unimpressive, which is a shame since John Carl Buechler did the special effects. And it also features one of the more puzzling ending I’ve seen in a film for some time.
    It’s implied our final girl is forced to birth a child for this creature.
    (4/10)

26) The Chill Factor: A group of snowmobilers find themselves trapped on a campground that was once occupied by a satanic cult. I went in expecting “Evil Dead” with snow and instead got a boring melodrama. The silly overhead narration and sappy score really killed any sort of atmosphere that was crafted. It did hold my interest – enough – but the cringe acting, and silly supernatural elements didn’t do anything for me. (4/10)

** "Slumber Party Massacre II" is streaming on Shudder. The Other three titles are streaming on Tubi.

14. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m Member

3. The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box (2013)

Teenage boy gets caught up in a villain’s search for the Midas Box, that turns anything into Gold, while trying to save his brother. Entertaining and fun action adventure with a mysterious monster, some good atmosphere and a steampunk vibe. Sam Neil and Lena Headey as the villains. Really liked the guy who played the magician.

4. House of Wax (1953)

Every season I try to watch at least one Vincent Price movie. Don’t need to say much about this one, it’s a classic. Must have really been amazing in 3D back in the early 50s.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Don't even have to go back that far; it got a theatrical re-release in the early 80s during the brief 3-D revival (F13 pt 3, Parasite, et al). Studios brought out a lot of the older 3-D movies, including Flesh for Frankenstein.

16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 16:
    Nazi Overlord (2018)

Asylum ripoff of Overlord. The first half was boring as hell, the Normandy scene was amazingly terrible. But once Dominique Swain shows up as an evil scientist with killer bees that make people blow up and gets naked and has sex with a mangled dude before he blows up and gets covered in the guy's blood, it felt like a Naziploitation flick. I wanted to write this film off entirely, but those last 20 to 30 minutes are pretty crazy. Don't get me started on the flamethrower "effects."

[​IMG]

Movie # 17:
    Unmasked Part 25 (1989)
    9. SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL: One with a misunderstood freak/mutant/abomination, etc.

A satire of '80's slashers and the Friday The 13th films in particular. I remember renting this back in the '90's and being surprised by it. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't the stylish, witty and quite gory slasher film I got. This isn't the Scary Movie type of spoof you might think. The filmmakers have a genuine love of the genre and movie never gets too ridiculous where it would take you out of the story.

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

* = First Time Viewing.

Satan's Blood (1978)*

I had the Screenbound Blu lurking on my shelf forever and finally watched it. Feels A LOT like Black Candles and stuff like that - late 70s Spanish Satanic Panic/Eurosleaze softcore. Which isn't a bad thing. It has a certain feel to it. Couple runs into old acquaintances (maybe) and gets sucked into oiled-up into sex orgies, some supernatural shenanigans and a "twist" ending at a remote country home. It wasn't bad if you know what you're getting into, not exactly great cinema either.

Emanuelle in America (1977)*
    Good lord. I knew this film had a rep but I blind bought the Mondo Macabro Red Case Blu and sat on it forever before finishing it last night. The weird horse scene, the unexpected hardcore (honestly, did not see that coming - pun not intended) and the snuff stuff which is shockingly real-looking and really depraved and graphic. This movie is not my thing AT ALL. Like AT ALL. I always struggle with movies that throw sex and violence together casually (meaning not for effect, but just throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks). D'Amato's horror films - Beyond the Darkness and Anthropophagous - are favorites. Can confidently say this is NOT one I will ever revisit. Pretty gross.

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-rama (1987)*
    Picked up the 88 Films blu a while back. Listen, it sucks. BUT there are worse ways to spend 80 minutes. Genie escapes a bowling trophy and proceeds to torment co-eds in a mall after hours. Michelle Bauer, Linnea Quigley, Brinke Stevens. Basically a Decoteau special. Could have been worse.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

11 October

Dead And Buried

I'd not seen this for a very long time and couldn't remember the majority of this apart from of course the 'famous' gags!

I had fun with it, it oozes atmosphere, with some fantastic prosthetic work from San Winston, I like the acid scene but knowing Stan never completed this gag it's inclusion annoys me as it's clearly not his work, substandard to his level yet it was associated as his for a while, it looks cheap and takes you out of the movie a bit but it's mean spiritness makes me smile and brings me back in.

The ending made me chuckle but is stupid at the same time and isn't possible in the context of the movie, however even with these shortcomings it's still a worthwhile viewing.

19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

IMG_20211011_175647.jpg

Tales from the Darkside The Movie (blu ray-shout CE)

Never seen this one before for whatever reason. I had a blast with it....so much fun. The first 2 segments were terrific, the 3rd being the weakest of the bunch but at least it had a great pay off at the end. I'll probably watch again before the month is over. Pumped I added it to the collection.

20. Rocker10

Day 11

46. An American Ghost Story (2012) Prime - This movie isn't too bad considering how small the crew is and the money involved to make it. They kept things simple and the movie comes across somewhat effective. It is the story of a guy who movbes into a house where a family died looking for answers to if the home is haunted. He plans on writing a book about the experience.

47. Blood And Black Lace (1964) Blu - Early Giallo from Mario Bava that paved the way for the genre. A good mystery with some decent performances throughout. Really dig this genre of films.

48. Apparition (2019) Prime - Kind of an oddball idea here. Young guy who is good at creating software makes an app that allows contact with the dead. It takes a group of people to an old abandoned castle that was used to house young prisoners a few decades earlier. The group end up getting more than they bargain for. The movie is fairly predictable and only somewhat effective in my opinion. The whole app thing kind of discredited the movie I thought.

49. Blood Games (1990) Blu - Bimbos vs. Rednecks. I bought this in a recent VS sale. Never had seen it before today. I guess I was expecting horror and it ended up being a little of that and quite a bit of action. The all female baseball team ends up beating a bunch of rednecks in a game which turns into a pursuit by the hillbillies to seek revenge. Damned poor sports.

~Rocker10