The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Evil Dead (40th anniversary, theater)

IMG_20211007_213110.jpg

What a treat. They played a 20ish minute intro feature with Bruce Campbell.....it was him talking about Evil Dead among other things in front of a crowd in NY about to watch the same presentation. He was entertaining as always and served as a great appetizer to the main course. Evil Dead remastered on the big screen. Had a few Octoberfest's and enjoyed the fuck outa my night.

Happy October

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 5TH:

ESCAPE.png

14. Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions (2021) (Blu-ray) - I would consider this a successful sequel in that if you liked the original, you'll like this one as well. It delivers in all the same regards. The escape rooms here are thrilling and exciting, and despite how silly it is that these people instantly know the insanely far-fetched answers to every puzzle on the first try, it mostly kept me on the edge of my seat. I had a good time. I went with the extended cut, but both versions are worth checking out because they are drastically different in regards to everything around the escape rooms. They are like entirely different movies. Like the first movie, this is studio PG-13 popcorn horror done well.

AUNTIE LEE.png

15. Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1992) (Blu-ray) - I had been trying to get an affordable VHS of this for quite a while and eventually gave up, so I was overjoyed when Vinegar Syndrome announced it for blu-ray. It did not disappoint. In kind of a female-driven spin on Motel Hell (which is interesting, because Auntie Lee's house is the same location as the Motel Hell and there's even a rock band among the victims), Auntie Lee and her four nieces live in a small town and run a successful meat pie business, but the secret to the recipe is the men they seduce and lure to their deaths. Did I mention one of the men they kill is named Bob Evans? I laughed. All of this is fairly normal, but once we reach the one-hour mark, that's when things really start getting weird. Oh yeah, and there's a fifth niece hiding upstairs who is essentially an adult baby. This is the sole mainstream outing from an adult film director, and there's surprising restraint as the tops stay on until after the one hour mark. I was totally charmed by this from beginning to end, and it serves as the perfect Motel Hell sequel in lieu of the one we never got. Thank you, Vinegar Syndrome!

OCTOBER 6TH:

16. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 1 "Sequels That Don't Suck" (AMC / DVR) - AMC's clipshow horror series returns, covering a different "sequel that doesn't suck" in between each commercial break. Some of the movies included are Elm Street 3 (I prefer 4 and New Nightmare honestly), Scream 2, Bride Of Chucky, Psycho 2, Gremlins 2, etc. Gotta cater to the mainstream, so we've got The First Purge. As for sequels that do suck, they specifically threw shade at Amityville 3-D and Jason Takes Manhattan. Mostly, this show just makes me wish I were watching the actual movies instead, specifically Psycho 1 - 4 this time around.

HOUSE.png

17. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021) (NetFlix) - I had read the book by Stephanie Perkins a few years back, so I was really looking forward to this new NetFlix teen slasher from Patrick Brice, director of the Mark Duplass starring Creep. I thought it was well done and a much more successful teen slasher than any of NetFlix's Fear Street movies from last summer. They definitely made some changes from the book, a lot of them in order for it to work on screen (in the book, the killer is revealed very early, but here the identity is a secret until the very end). Some of the changes were for the better, although they left out the best slasher set-piece from the novel, which takes place in a supermarket (apparently Fear Street 1994 beat them to the punch). I hope it does as well as Fear Street did because I'd be game for a new teen slasher wave via NetFlix. Recommended for fans of polished teen screams.

VHS94.png

18. V/H/S/94 (2021) (SHUDDER) - While this was definitely an improvement over the last movie Viral, it was not the return to form it claimed to be. It's nowhere near as good as the first movie and is several notches below the second. They do the best story right up front, and from there it's only downhill. The second story would have been decent except it is not suited for found-footage at all. The format hindered it instead of working with it. The third story eats up a majority of the running time and is basically a re-do of "Safe Haven" from 2. It features some cool effects, but otherwise I just did not care about it at all. I couldn't wait for it to end. The last story also runs too long, featuring way too much set-up for too-little pay-off. The biggest problem with the movie is that the wraparound and stories 3 & 4 all feel exactly the same, so it becomes a major slog in the second half. Mostly, it just made me want to go back and watch the original. Major let-down.

OCTOBER 7TH:

AHS.png

19. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 8 "Inside" (FX / DVR) - I'm enjoying the back-half of this season much more than the dull Red Tide half. The black-and-white half of the episodes are the right kind of weird, and the modern day halves with the pregnant 20-somethings is hilarious. So they've made a nice recovery. Honestly though, Ryan Murphy's attempts at horror are way too hyper and messy for my liking. Where he really thrives is true stories ala Feud and American Crime Story, so I have to say that I'm loving Impeachment: American Crime Story more than any of this year's American Horror Story / Stories offerings.

Previous Entries:
    1. Girls School Screamers (1985)
    2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Black As Night (2021)
    4. Coming Home In The Dark (2021)
    5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Bingo Hell (2021)
    7. Blades (1989)
    8. Lost After Dark (2015)
    9. The Ghosting (1992)
    10. Midnight (1982)
    11. A Day Of Judgment (1981)
    12. Death On Demand (2008)
    13. Creepshow: Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5 "Pipe Screams / Within The Walls Of Madness" & "Night Of The Living Late Show"

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 6th

FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY (1973)

[​IMG]

My monthlong horror marathon has been dominated by retro made for TV films thus far. With that in mind, I am now revisiting an English movie that I last saw on VHS in the 90's.

After losing his younger brother to a drowning accident, young doctor Victor Frankenstein (Leonard Whiting) becomes driven with the desire to restore life through whatever means possible. He teams up with a renegade surgeon named Henry Clerval (David McCallum) who has already been doing extensive hands-on research with dismemberment and re-animation. Clerval is driven by obsession while building the ultimate laboratory. Solar power is his preferred method of bringing the dead back to life. Keeping all of this a secret from his fiancée Elizabeth (Nicola Pagett) proves challenging, especially when unfortunate events force Victor to invest a lot more time in his secret project. Victor's creation (Michael Sarrazin) proves to be an early success with his handsome looks and smooth introduction into high society. Earlier seen as a mere nuisance, Clerval's former mentor Dr. Polidori (James Mason) blackmails Victor into working on another creature.

I have never read the Mary Shelley novel, so it's impossible for me to say how this or any other Frankenstein film adheres to or strays from the source material. What does stand out though more than anything is the production value on display. Unlike much of what I watched previously this past week, a bigger budget (for the era) really helps bring this story to life. Between costumes, set design, and vivid colors in the laboratory - nothing looks cheap. Michael Sarrazin makes a really sympathetic creature who is ultimately rejected by his creator once he begins to degenerate. Jane Seymour gets to be a more glamorous bride of the monster compared to other film adaptations. Who really steals the show though is James Mason as Dr. Polidori. Seems pretty obvious that Dr. Pretorius from Bride of Frankenstein (1935) is the primary inspiration for his character. Mason really makes the part his own with an icy menace and brilliant skills of manipulation. Supporting cast also includes Agnes Moorehead (Bewitched), Tom Baker (Doctor Who), and John Gielgud (Caligula).

Scream Factory did excellent work with this Blu-ray release. Audio and video are both strong. Some new interviews are included along with a new commentary track.

4. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 7

28. Death Spa (1988) Blu - Started the day off with this one. A bit of a brainless late 80's film but that's sometimes what makes them fun.

29. Monster From The Ocean Floor (1954) Prime - This movie had some interesting elements to it. First was the one man sub. Never seen such a thing, but it looked like it might be kind of fun. Second was the references to the atomic testing at Bikini that may have had some effect on the sea life. This was a Roger Corman produced film that he also had a minor acting role in.

30. We Are Still Here (2015) Prime - Another haunted house movie that had a little gore as well. The part that involved the sock was a bit interesting. This movie did have some interesting elements to it and did keep me interested.

31. The Sixth Sense (1999) Blu - I believe I have only seen this once and loved it, probably back in the day that it was released. It was really interesting to watch again knowing the reveal and how many things point to it that I missed the first viewing. A slow mover, but very rewarding in my opinion.

~Rocker10

5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Witch’s Brew – Two microbrewers run over a witch while she’s in cat form and as punishment another witch from the coven curses their latest batch of beer, causing it to kill everyone who drinks it in various ways. The nice body count, amusing kills, and the humor all worked pretty well; overall it was a pretty fun movie that I really enjoyed. The movie is actually from the director of The WNUF Halloween Special, that’s the main reason I rolled the dice on this BD.

Rocker10, indrid13, CPT HOOK and 4 others like this.
  6. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m Active Member

2. The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb (1964)

I try to watch one Mummy movie each season. Like the Mummy, this one is so slow moving. There was nothing memorable at all for me here. Near the end it gets a little more interesting, but not much. It was watchable for me, but definitely not something I would watch again.

f.ramses, Rocker10, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  7. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 7th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17) Coming Home in The Dark: A family’s road trip turns into a nightmare when they’re abducted by two murderous drifters. A simple, moody, slow burn thriller that sticks with you. The story is straight forward, and the tone is quite unsettling. The score is the real ace in the hole – consisting of only ambient noise – creating an unnerving atmosphere. Daniel Gillies – who plays the principal villain – does a great job portraying a calm and cool psychopath, showing a lot of restraint, and never going over the top. Although I wasn’t bored at any point, I do think the 90-minute runtime was a bit too much for what they were going for. The second act feels a bit padded, but once the climax comes into play, the stakes are high and the tension palpable. A great example of an old school thriller that I recommend. (7/10)

18) Trauma (2017): Tragedy befalls a group of young women who cross paths with a sadistic father and son duo while partying in the woods. This exploitation thriller from Chile came on my radar earlier this year with comparisons being made to “A Serbian Film”. It’s nowhere near as beyond the pale ridiculous and depraved as that film, but “Trauma” is still one of the more brutal and mean-spirited films I’ve watched in some time. Feeling like a hybrid of “Last House on the Left”, “I Spit on Your Grave” and “In a Glass Cage”, this one features a lot of over-the-top violence and several uncomfortable scenes that made me squirm. The lead villains are easy to hate, and you want to see these women get their hands on these two creeps and only do the worst to them. Unfortunately, the film falls short, featuring inept characters, unrealistic scenarios, and terrible acting. The narrative tires to do too much, featuring commentary on Chile’s fascistic past, to add back story for the nature of the father and son. Things get really sloppy by the end, with an absurd conclusion that left me unsatisfied. I won’t soon forget this film, but it was still a missed opportunity. (5/10)

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 9:
    The Twonky (1953)
    First Time Viewing (YouTube, TV version)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    7. IT CAME FROM THE SCREEN: One where a TV is a major part to the story.

An alien that looks like a TV set with legs ruins a guy's life. Not horror, it's more of a satire of television, but I'd read Don Coscarelli rave about it years ago so I've been meaning to check it out. Scarecrow didn't appear to have a copy I could rent, so I found a cut down version on YouTube.

Kim Bruun, f.ramses, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  9. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

*First Time Viewing

Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh (1991)*

It was better than I thought, but I thought it would be terrible so I'm not sure how much of a compliment that is. Lives in that late 80s/early 90s "Blood Diner" space where it wants to be ROTLD or Re-Animator but substitutes comedy for inappropriate/boundry-pushing content. Basically a slasher when you get right down to it. Think '90s HG Lewis.

The Witch Who Came from the Sea (1976)
    I had avoided re-watching this (part of Arrow's American Horror Project Vol. 1 box set) because when I watched the DVD a decade ago it really made me uncomfortable. Still uncomfortable, not really horror and despite its low-budget origins a pretty original take. Kind of a forerunner/distant cousin to more consumer friendly stuff like Play Misty for Me or Fatal Attraction.

Prometheus (2012)
    I love it more each time I watch it. Not perfect, but really interesting as prequels go.

The Thing (2011)*
    Wasn't into it. More of a re-make than a prequel and we already know where it ends before it starts. I just felt nothing watching it, which was disappointing because the '82 version is a top 5 horror film for me.

Massacre in Dinosaur Valley (1985)*
    A suuuuuuper watered-down Cannibal Ferox meets Indiana Jones rip-off with more nudity. Watchable, but ridiculously lame.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth here, Col, but your reviews are so good it makes me want to seek several of these titles out. Would you be able to add your viewing source (I.E., Shudder streaming, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Blu-Ray, YouTube, whatever) for your movies going forward?

indrid13 and Colin like this.
  11. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Shit, and I told myself I was going to remember to do that this year. :rolleyes:

Shudder
    Jakob's Wife
    Teddy
    Seance
    Werewolf
    Martyrs Lane
    Anything for Jackson
    V/H/S/94

Netflix
    The Old Ways
    No One Gets Out Alive

Tubi.tv
    Ten Minutes to Midnight
    Blind
    Terror 5
    Trauma

VOD/DVD/Blu-Ray
    Censor
    The Vigil
    The Unholy
    We Need to Do Something
    Coming Home in the Dark

indrid13 likes this.
  12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I tried out Kino's new streaming service with The Asphyx, another movie I've been meaning to see. I like the idea of this one more than the execution. It's not bad, but it does get pretty goofy at times and the characters had some very stupid ideas. Any plan that involves stopping a guillotine right before it lops someone's head off is not a good plan.

Then I popped in Vinegar Syndrome's new release of Shallow Grave. I've never seen this one before or really heard much about it, but it's pretty good and very tense at times. It has a pretty mean streak that really belies the wacky titty comedy-like opening 15 minutes. One complaint I had is that the killer sheriff (that's not a spoiler, you see this guy's badge during the first kill, and it's on the blu-ray cover) is way too over the top and isn't believable as anything but a lunatic. The fact that the deputy absolutely doesn't believe he could kill someone is a big stretch. I wouldn't trust this guy enough to take a piss at a urinal adjacent to him. Also he looks like an uglier Louis Skolnick from Revenge of the Nerds. That has nothing to do with anything, I just found it amusing.

On Wednesday I watched the new VHS movie on Shudder. The wraparound segment is dumb as hell, but I really enjoyed the first 3 actual stories. The second story The Empty Wake is so much fun, I was laughing like an idiot for the last 5 minutes. I've seen a couple people here consider Timo Tjahjanto's The Subject as the weakest, but I think this was my favorite. It's like a Tetsuo Short Circuit Frankenstein that's loaded with Timo's trademark gleefully gruesome violence. I loved it, but then I'm a huge fan of all of his work I've seen; Macabre, May the Devil Take You (and Too), Headshot, his segment from VHS 2, I've really enjoyed all of it.

The 4th segment is okay, but it's about a group of redneck militia type dudes, so we have to spend 15 minutes with these obnoxious weirdos before the monsters appear, but when they do appear it gets much better. I had fun with all 4 of the actual stories. Shame about that wraparound bit, but you only see about 3 minutes of that at a time, so I definitely recommend this one for anthology fans.

10/01 - Salem's Lot
    10/02 - Shyness Machine Girl
    10/02 - Erotic Ghost Story
    10/03 - The Asphyx
    10/04 - Shallow Grave
    10/06 - VHS 94

f0t0z00m, Kim Bruun, Rocker10 and 7 others like this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 7th

BLOOD FOR DRACULA (1974)

[​IMG]

The times are changing in the early 20th century and Count Dracula (Udo Kier) acknowledges it's time to leave Romania and take a holiday in Italy. It's not a random destination. Loyal servant Anton (Arno Juerging) successfully pitches the idea under the notion that Italy is a conservative Catholic country and there will be an abundance of virgin women who remain unmarried. This is a much different vampire than the traditional concept we all know. Dracula as seen here can only have the blood of virgins. Stranger yet - he can go out in daylight (just makes him physically ill), he dyes his hair black to cover up the gray (vampires can get extremely old), and he will eat normal mortal food (special vegetarian diet). Soon after arriving in Italy, Anton learns of a Marchese who is eager to marry off one of his 4 daughters to the foreign Count - especially since the vast estate has fallen upon hard times financially. Figuring out which of them might be virgins will be a challenge to an outsider, especially with manwhore servant Mario (Joe Dallesandro) living on the property.

Paul Morrissey's Blood for Dracula is a memorable mix of European art, sexploitation trash, and grindhouse monster film. Gory at times (especially at the finale) and black comedy throughout, this would be a hard sell for anyone wanting a straight Gothic horror picture. Udo Kier deserves praise for his portrayal of such a different kind of Dracula. He's quite sick much of the time. Watching him unknowingly drink non-virgin blood and witnessing the rather immediate convulsions, let's just say Udo does indeed sell it. Not easy to walk out of the wheelchair Dracula must often use in periods of starvation. That too is convincing. One particular scene has Anton bringing his master half a loaf of bread that was soaked up with blood from a car accident. Upon hearing that the victim was a little girl (and obvious virgin), Dracula gets extra gross devouring the bread. Mario treats the women he is screwing like complete garbage. They grow increasingly tired of his class structure rants and lectures on socialism. Dallesandro the actor provides lots of comedy with his New York accent. The way he says the word "whore" is even more over the top than Joe Pantoliano's accent when calling someone a whore on The Sopranos. One of the daughters is played by Stefania Casini from Suspiria.

It had been a long time since I last saw Blood for Dracula. Same thing goes for Flesh for Frankenstein. This new Blu-ray from Severin is a terrific release. The presentation of the movie itself, bonus content, and packaging. The interviews were well worth watching. In the interview with Morrissey, he has very unflattering things to say about both Andy Warhol and Lou Reed. Goes as far as calling Lou Reed an asshole. Looking forward to the Vinegar Syndrome release of Flesh for Frankenstein available for sale next month.

14. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 8

32. The Haunted Hotel (2021) Prime - This movie consists of 8 or so short stories related to the same hotel at different times in its history. Each segment runs about 10-12 minutes in length. There were a few that were more interesting than others, but overall this was slightly boring. I liked the premise, but it just seemed to be missing something.

33. The Isle (2018) Prime - Odd film that feels quite a bit more like a drama than horror. I guess the theatrical trailer was presented as a horror in the states but only has a few slightly mysterious moments. It's a tale of 3 shipwreck survivors that end up on an Island where not everything is as it seems. The movie did have a nice presentation, just a bit slow.

34. Zombie (1979) Blu - What do you say that hasn't been said many times before about this classic. This time I watched it in the Italian mono audio track with English subtitles. Always a good watch and I take this one in every October.

35. Dead Shadows (2012) Blu - I had watched this French movie one other time and recalled not being very fond of it. Decided to try it once more as it is kind of short at 1 hour 15 minutes. My opinion didn't change much. Characters are not likeable, story is oddball, effects suck, it's just a bit of a hot mess. I picked this one up back when Scream Factory was a favorite studio and should have avoided unfortunately. Now they are a bit overpriced and quality is sketchy at times so I don't risk with stuff like this.

~Rocker10

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Bikini Bloodbath Shakespeare – This is just the first Bikini Bloodbath movie with the original dialog dubbed over with dialog that sounds Shakespearean done by different actors. It’s poorly done in that the new dialog sounds bad, doesn’t even come close to sounding like it wasn’t recorded off-set after the fact, and doesn’t even come close to even almost syncing up with the lip movements. It’s as confusing as it is frustrating because you are watching Bikini Bloodbath happen and I can hear the dialog from the original in my head because I’ve seen it so many times but what I’m actually hearing is far from the original in every way and not very entertaining. The day before I did the original movie and watching this actually made me want to watch it again immediately after. It’s too bad that it doesn’t look like this series isn’t going to be the octology I originally heard it was going to be and that this was the last one they did, unfortunately the assumptions that made me not get around to watching this until years after buying it proved accurate.

16. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 8th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19) 13: Game of Death: Recently unemployed, and desperate for cash, Phuchit takes part in an underground game where the challenges grow increasingly more deadly. A film that has been on my watch list for some time, and one I had no idea was comedic in nature. The structure is fairly standard, and the comedy is very hit or miss (but a scene involving a steel chair did make me laugh out loud), but it held my interest. The score was overbearing at points, being too over dramatic and often took me out of the moment. Unfortunately, the film starts to fall apart in the final act. The filmmakers clearly didn’t know exactly how to end things, so we get quite the dud of a finale. (6/10)

20) Kolobos: A group of strangers, taking part in an experimental film, soon learn they are trapped inside, and their lives are at stake. A horrendously bad DTV movie that thought it was going to be the next “Scream” with its lame attempt at a meta-satire. “Kolobos” looks and feels like a poorly made student film. The audio quality is so poor that subtitles are presents throughout the runtime. Characters talk and behave in ways that are not identifiable with normal humans, spuing awful, unfunny dialogue. The villain’s motive – or lack there of – is stupid and renders the film pointless by the end. I can’t remember the last time I saw something so wasteful, and I don’t understand why Arrow Video resurrected this from obscurity for a high-def release. (1/10)

**Both Titles are streaming on Tubi.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I didn't hate it that much, but I did watch (and buy!) this turkey twice. Both times on the basis of good ratings, the second thinking maybe I was too harsh. I ended up purging it twice wishing I had my time and money back and using it as a poster child for not giving films a second chance.

I personally know 2 other people who have seen this and both think its a steaming pile, 1 of them someone who seeks out and watches some serious trash that even I shake my head at in disbelief. At this point I'm convinced the good ratings are some Ringu attempt to spread the bad film curse onto unsuspecting viewers.

hots4 and indrid13 like this.
  18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ I don't remember there being any subtitles during Kolobos, nor do I remember the movie needing them.

indrid13 likes this.
  19. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

It was bizarre. I had to check that the Closed Caption wasn't on.

indrid13 likes this.
  20. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Work was keeping me busy for the last half of the week, so I only managed a movie a night.

[​IMG]

Movie # 12:
    Phantoms (1998)
    5. REEKING HAVOC: Sewer dwellers making a mess of things up on the surface.

Back in my high schools days I read the heck out of many Dean Koontz books. Phantoms with it's snowy, isolated, The Thing vibe it has was one of my favorites back then. I hadn't seen the movie adaption since back when it came out. Aside from Ben Affleck feeling really out of place, the rest of the movie is a really fun monster movie. Liev Schreiber, Rose McGowan and Peter O’Toole are great. I had such a thing for Rose McGowan back then. Those were the days.

[​IMG]

Movie # 13:
    The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953)
    6. IT CAME FROM THE SEA: Some kind of threat from below the brine.
    Quintessential '50's monster movie. The acting maybe a bit wooden, but the monster and spectacle more then make up for it.

[​IMG]

Movie # 14:
    The Video Dead (1987)
    7. IT CAME FROM THE SCREEN: One where a TV is a major part to the story.

I'm so glad I saved my re-watch of this for October. Such a perfect movie for fall. Loved the zombie make up. The Scream blu looks great. I dug the different take the movie had on zombies.

[​IMG]

Movie # 15:
    Witchcraft 13: Blood of the Chosen (2008)
    8. CRAFT NIGHT: Cast your eyes upon the screen, whence a witch’s spell is surely seen.

I've seen so many of these over the years, they blend into one big Skinamax jumble. Sex. Evil witches. Really bad magical battle.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021