The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 2ND:

BLADES.png

7. Blades (1989) (Blu-ray) - I was really excited when Vinegar Syndrome announced this one, because it is one of those movies I had always wanted to see but never got around to it for whatever reason. I had always heard it referred to as a Jaws rip-off, and I had thought that meant in the same way as something like Piranha or Grizzly. I wasn't expecting them to literally be doing scene after scene directly from Jaws, knowingly lampooning it while keeping an almost entirely straight-face. There's even an old lady who does the Kintner slap. Tonally, it is very bizarre. Being so familiar with Jaws and watching it go through each beat of that movie doesn't exactly make for the most riveting plot, but there is a charm about it nonetheless. I think my favorite spoofed moment is when they gut the tiger shark and find it full of license plates, only this time they're gutting a lawnmower full of leaves (and golf-balls and Playboy magazines). I don't know if I loved it, but it was... something.

LOST.png

8. Lost After Dark (2015) (Blu-ray) - I pulled this off the blu-ray rack for a revisit because I seemed to remember the opening taking place at a Halloween or Homecoming dance. Turns out it was actually a "Spring Ball", which is even mentioned on the back of the case if I were paying attention. I wasn't a huge fan of this one back when I originally saw it, but I think I liked it a bit more now than I did in 2015. It's still nothing great. For whatever reason, I find these low-budget direct-to-disc 2000s onward teen slashers highly rewatchable, so they're good ones to have in my collection. I remembered absolutely nothing about this except for the first kill from the main group of teens (which doesn't happen until over halfway through the movie), so it was basically an entirely new movie to me. It's not a very good slasher movie at all, but I will give it credit for dodging the final girl conventions not once, but twice.

OCTOBER 3RD:

vlcsnap-2021-08-21-16h39m20s683.png

9. The Ghosting (1992) (YouTube) - I had only recently heard about this one, and fortunately someone uploaded it to YouTube only just a month or two ago. Considering it was barely released, that seems to be the only way to see it. This is a homegrown horror out of Spokane, Washington. It opens with an axe-murderer breaking out of an institution, making his way back to the church where he had butchered his family years prior. This same night, a new family is eyeing the church to move into as sort of caretakers. However, as dad is on the way to pick up mom, he hits the axe murderer with his car and disposes of the body. Now the axe murderer is haunting the church and terrorizing the family, filling the baptism pool with snakes and writing SLUT on the daughter's bedroom mirror. This movie is 2 hours long and a mostly PG-13 affair. It had moments, but it could also be a slog at times. It could have easily been chopped down to under 90 minutes. I'm glad to have seen it as a curiosity, but wouldn't recommend it.
    For the curious though, here are some interesting articles about the making of this "lost" film:
    https://theschlockpit.com/2021/05/09/the-ghosting-1992/
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/may/04/doug-clark-bring-back-the-ghosting-for-one-awfully/

Previous Entries:
    1. Girls School Screamers (1985)
    2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Black As Night (2021)
    4. Coming Home In The Dark (2021)
    5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Bingo Hell (2021)

Mok, dave13, Kim Bruun and 7 others like this.
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Most of my November viewing is titles I learn about in this annual thread.

Mok, hots4 and indrid13 like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 2nd

ALONE IN THE DARK (1982)

[​IMG]

Psychiatrist Dan Potter (Dwight Schultz) is the newest staff member at a mental institution in northern New Jersey known as The Haven. Lots of praise has been circulating for this progressive hospital run by the eccentric Dr. Leo Bain (Donald Pleasence). His methods are very questionable at times whether it's giving a loose cannon resident an entire pack of matches, allowing the most dangerous patients free reign of the top floor with dated electrical doors for so-called security, or smoking premium weed in his office out of a fancy pipe. Whatever you think of this medical professional - he gets the job done and prefers to call his patients "Voyagers."

The top floor lunatics are led by retired Colonel Frank Hawkes (Jack Palance). A former prisoner of war, he is an escape artist who doesn't take kindly to people cursing at him. Then there is Byron Sutcliffe (Martin Landau), a former minister with a great love of burning down churches with people in them. You can't miss the poor man's King Kong Bundy named Ronald Elster (Erland van Lidth, who was Grossberger in Stir Crazy) and happens to be a child molester. Last but not least is the mysterious Bleeder, a killer who refuses to show his face. These nuts are oblivious to the fact that Potter's predecessor took a new position in Philadelphia and are convinced that Potter killed him. How long before they retaliate?

If the basic setup of Alone in the Dark sounds crazy, you are only partially correct. It's even crazier. Just about everything and everyone is off in this story. Even Dr. Potter's young daughter who asks multiple times for valium or his visiting sister who takes everyone to a punk/new wave club despite no one else having the least bit of interest. Over-the-top performances run this joint with the most notable examples being Pleasence, Landau, and of course "Happy Trails" Palance himself. Landau's obsession with a courier's hat won't be soon forgotten.

Scream Factory did well with this fun early 80's slasher. A number of new extras along with carried over supplements, nice picture quality, and cool new artwork make this a great October viewing.

Mok, dave13, Kim Bruun and 7 others like this.
  4. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 3

11. Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare (1987) VHS - I didn't remember owning this until I found it in a box of VHS tapes about a week ago. It looks like it was a video store rental and is still in relatively good shape. As for the movie, it is very cheesy. Thor who was part of the 80's muscle rock scene takes the lead and there are lots of goofy rubber puppets in this one. Guess it has a cult following as well as some charm.

12. Hereditary (2018) 4K - A first time watch for me. This movie is a bit of a slow burn that kept me interested for most of it , but then it went off the rails. Not sure I completely caught everything and it might take additional views to make more sense. There were plenty of plot holes though.

13. Insidious (2010) Blu - Another first time watch for me. I liked the whole concept of this one and will be making my way through the series of sequels.

14. The Night Walker (1964) Blu - Pretty sure last time I watched this I was distracted and this film really needs you paying better attention. I did watch it that way this time and thought it was a decent film.

15. Shock Waves (1977) Blu - A movie I usually re-visit every October. I love the concept with the nazi zombies. This movie is just a personal favorite and will get plenty more viewings.

~Rocker10

ImmortalSlasher, Mok, dave13 and 7 others like this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Three days in and you guys are already at three pages. I'm a bit behind this year as usual. But big start. I used two images for this one as I really think people should check it out. It's a bit of a sleeper.

The Empty Man -

TheEmptyMan 1.jpg

I made some notes after originally watching The Empty Man. It's a movie that will get mixed feelings. Yet I still think it's definitely worth a watch for horror fans.

I thought the opening was really good. I only remembered the cave scene from the trailer and some bits with teenagers. But that opening is like a really good short horror film. And I love the season in the opening. However in many ways the complete movie is more dark psychological thriller with horror elements.

There are some nice shots in the movie. I like the bridge shots including one of St. Louis at night with the Arch. Very moody. It has a bit of tasteful nudity for horror fans. At times The Empty Man is very creepy. A movie which if you have a few drinks and watch at night, it might have a more profound effect. Kind of like Sinister since both main characters drink in the movie. Yet it's not as good as Sinister.

I checked wiki afterwards and The Empty Man is from a comic book story. However, after reading the individual comic descriptions it seems a lot different from the movie. One interesting horror element that the movie didn't use enough is a
    this is what we are dealing with moment. It's a Lovecraft thing.

I was confused with the ending and story which doesn't make sense in places. I checked wiki and it adds elements that I either didn't notice or that weren't explained in the actual movie. And the movie doesn't tell its story well enough like similar stories.

Most will think The Empty Man is a bit all over the place. I remember thinking originally after seeing the trailer that the focus should have been on different characters. But spoiler again,
    I re-watched the trailer and it's misleading. Which is a good thing with trailers as usually they spoil the whole movie. But I can see how people would be pissed after that trailer.
    I think with this movie you really need a director that understands what he's trying to tell. I searched and it seems like he didn't finish editing the movie. It is a long movie. The director mentioned an 89 minute studio cut but perhaps editing might not be the movie's biggest fault. The cinematography could have told the story without the editing.
    Something like the ending to Silent Hill which is obvious but still clear.

Most probably won't be pleased with The Empty Man and will question what you just watched. I think there is a good movie to be salvaged or improved here. New cinematography or the director could finish editing the movie. Add some scenes for what the movie is really supposed to be about. According to some posts on a Reddit topic
    a Lovecraft creature called Nyarlathotep is what the characters are dealing with.

TheEmptyMan 2.jpg

After watching and listening to the movie a few times and doing some research, I had more thoughts. First, this is a short film from the director of The Empty Man called AM1200.

One of better shots in The Empty Man has its origins here. Also, some themes I spoiler tagged in my Empty Man review can also be seen in AM1200. It's a good short to check out this month.

This interview with the director of The Empty Man is worth a read. But read it after seeing the movie.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/the-empty-man-david-prior-interview

Also this audio chat is worth a listen. Especially if you like the process of movie making. Also listen after seeing the movie.

https://www.secrethandshakecinema.c...es-8-writerdirector-david-prior-the-empty-man

The opening cave scene makes more sense knowing that the director is a fan of Alien. Also that the opening story was before The Empty Man.
    He admits that the trailer didn't reflect the movie. But more importantly that it wasn't till the 2nd or 3rd draft that he had the twist with the character. It wasn't part of original movie pitch. Which I guess is kind of ok as ideas can happen. But still when it is a main plot point it should be better setup and not thrown at the viewer near the end with only one hint and some research early on in the movie. Some scenes are seen in a different light but others don't make sense. He does mention the problems the tulpa would cause to the movie though. When I first saw it I thought Tulpa was a location like Tusla.

I didn't hate the movie like most. Part of me wants to own it. I love that opening. But I feel The Empty Man could and should be a bit better. Maybe the director will be allowed to touch it up for a future Blu-ray release.

Myron Breck, Mok, dave13 and 4 others like this.
  6. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m Active Member

Looking forward to seeing everyone's lists and reviews.

1. Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965)
    2. The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb (1964)
    3. The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box (2013)
    4. House of Wax (1953)
    5. RiffTrax: Mesa of Lost Women (1953)
    6. The Addams Family (2019)
    7. The Addams Family 2 (2021)
    8. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010)
    9. Tales From the Darkside : The Movie (1990)
    10. Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)
    11. Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
    12. Hubie Halloween (2020)
    13. Repossessed (1990)
    14. Muppets Haunted Mansion (2021)
    15. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
    16. The Invisible Ray (1936)
    17. Burnt Offerings (1976)
    18 Under Wraps (1997)
    19. The Little Vampire (2000)
    20. Spaced Invaders (1990)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 5:
    Trick (2019)

From the director of Dracula 2000 and the My Bloody Valentine remake. And the writer of Jason X and Drive Angry. Trick is a bit of a mixed bag. The opening party massacre and hospital escape is great, but then the movie jumps around too much, showing us Trick's rampage over the next few years. It takes away from the main characters. Instead of seeing the survivors cope with the aftermath, we see a bunch of randos get killed. It really feels like padding. I also really didn't care for the twist of the killer's identity and motive. But those things aside I did dig the killer's penchant for wearing different masks and Finn Balor style face paint. The cast was a lot of fun and I dug the brutal battle between the killer and the final girl.

[​IMG]

Movie # 6:
    He's Out There (2018)

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    2. MASKS ARE STILL REQUIRED: You know it, at least one character has to wear a mask for the entire movie.
    Felt like a lower budget The Strangers. I went in not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. Although, I'm deducting a star for the one useless daughter who complained and wouldn't leave the house. And then I'm giving a star back for the gratuitous shot of Yvonne Strahovski stripping down to her underwear. So, it all balances out I guess. This one had another nice little brutal final battle.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 3:
    Cold Prey (2006)
    First Time Viewing (Anchor Bay DVD)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    2. MASKS ARE STILL REQUIRED: You know it, at least one character has to wear a mask for the entire movie.

Solid slasher fare is bolstered in the final moments by giving an unexpected tragic backstory to the killer. This film does more in 30 seconds to make the audience feel for a hulking brute than Rob Zombie did in the entire runtime of his Halloween.

[​IMG]
    Movie 4:
    The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963, Italian version)
    Rewatch (Arrow's Macabre Visions: The Films of Mario Bava UK Blu-ray box set)
    *** (out of 5)

There's a point in this where the heroine is told that the murder she witnessed may have been a psychic flashback to an event a decade before. It turns out to be a red herring, but all I could think about after that concept was introduced was how I wanted to see that movie!

9. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 3rd
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9) Blind (2020): After a botched Laski surgery procedure leaves her blind, a former actress takes refuge in the California hillside to be alone, or so she thinks. I’ve had the displeasure to sit through some pretty bad horror films this year, but holy shit does this trump them all. A sorry excuse of a home invasion, slasher that plays out like a bad daytime soap. The film is an absolute bore to sit through, as it is high on melodrama (with an equally bad score), placating towards a silly romance angle between our lead actress and her mute love interest. The motivation for our mask wearing killer is not really established – but I think(?) he is supposed to be a stalker – and his presence is absent for most of the runtime. The acting is atrocious, with our lead being unconvincing, unlikeable, and barley emotes. The supporting cast is not much better, with Caroline Williams barley putting in the effort (I think she owed someone a favor), but manages to outshine everyone else without trying. The filmmaking over all is a disaster, with poor production quality, cinematography and shot composition. There is even the same shot used twice within less than a minute of each other! A snoozer of a film and one I can say without question you should avoid. Trust me. (2/10)

10) We Need to Do Something: A storm leaves a dysfunctional family unit trapped in their home’s bathroom. As the days pass, and paranoia builds, they suspect something sinister is lurking just outside the door. I was hesitant about this considering the negative feedback, but I’m glad I did because it was a huge breath of fresh air. Although 95% the film takes place in one location, it makes the best of it with great atmosphere and a strong cast of characters. Pat Healy is quite good as the ill-tempered, alcoholic father, who adds to the tension as the family’s situation grow increasingly more desperate. I thought it was clever how the supernatural element was handled – although I could see this annoying many others – where we don’t get a direct answer as to what it is or where it came from, with a big hint that it might be the fault of the outcasted, emotional damaged daughter
    When her and her Wiccan girlfriend get outed at school by another classmate, and fall victim to a hate crime, they get revenge on him with a necromancy curse, which leads to his death.
    The leap in logic there is a bit hard to swallow, but I’ll let my suspension of disbelief take over. A truly unique film I can easily recommend. (7/10)

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

2. Deepstar Six (Sean Cunningham, 1989)

[​IMG]

Of the three deep sea alien movies to be released in '89, this is certainly the weakest, although I still found it entertaining. The undersea footage is plainly miniature work shot on a smoky stage, but it's lack of realism doesn't actually hurt it. The cast of characters is energetic and game, and keep the movie moving through it's first hour, during which no monster action occurs. Despite the fact that this is probably what keeps it from being as good as something like Leviathan (not to mention The Abyss), I actually found the non-monster stuff that makes up the bulk of the film to be the more engaging part. Once the giant worm-monster (which reminded me of an underwater mashup of the graboids from Tremors and Brundlefly Jr. from The Fly II) shows up, the movie doesn't seem to know what to do with it. Characters are dispatched so quickly that you don't really get a chance to mourn their loss, and then before you (or they) have a chance to adjust to the new threat, the movie ends.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

But no Kevin?

man, I was lame this weekend. No horror other than the penultimate episode of Brand New Cherry Flavor. It was 90 all weekend and I just wasn't in the mood for horror.

indrid13 likes this.
  12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

3. He Knows You're Alone (Armand Mastroianni, 1980)

[​IMG]

This was a really pleasant surprise. It's a very Halloween-inspired early slasher, and it's so competently made, with great fall atmosphere and plenty of deaths and stalking scenes, I'm a little bewildered by how unaware of this I was. It seems like something I should have seen 15 years ago on DVD, not in 2021. Regardless of all that, I really dug it. Yes, it's got Tom Hanks in his first role (apparently he was a decent actor right from the get-go, and comes across as charming even playing a character that the movie forgets about 10 minutes after he's introduced), but I was more interested in a (relatively) young James Rebhorn playing the lecherous teacher. The two scenes he's in, first awkwardly encountering the student he's sleeping with while out shopping with his wife, and then the extended scene at the house where he's chasing the student around, were both great. I really liked the final scene, too - a great capper that I wasn't expecting but made perfect sense given the set up.

4. Tales from the Darkside S01E03: I'll Give You a Million (John Harrison, 1984)

[​IMG]

I imagine that binge-watching this show wouldn't be a very satisfying experience. They're low-budget quickies with modest ambitions, and that would probably get pretty tedious seen one after the other. But taken almost as shorts supporting a feature film, they actually work kind of well. This one was fine. I'm no expert on contract law, but the ins and outs of their agreement had me a little confused. In any case, it was fun, and a nice way to end the night after He Knows You're Alone. I'd like to fit further episodes of this show in in a similar vein this month.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Glad you enjoyed Satan's Triangle. I love finding good movies that you might have otherwise overlooked or just not been aware of. I have been able to find more titles this way by just doing YouTube searches or forgotten disc releases (including bootlegs) that never got upgraded to Blu-ray.

Alejandro Rey was great as the priest! I looked him up. His last film was TerrorVision (1986). Looks like he did mostly television work from the 60's through the 80's. A bunch of made for TV features, but mostly guest starring on lots of shows. He definitely makes an impression in Satan's Triangle.

Mok, hots4 and indrid13 like this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 3rd

MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY (1985)

[​IMG]

After getting there the long way, paleontologist Kevin Hall (Michael Sopkiw) ends up in Brazil and wastes little time in pissing off the locals. Some eavesdropping alerts him to a charter flight headed deep into the jungle. This allows the best chance to search through an Amazon region that may have dinosaur remains in its forbidden valley. Among the passengers are a professor & his daughter, a Vietnam vet & his ugly alcoholic wife, some supermodels, and a couple other unfortunate chumps. The private plane is too small for so many passengers and appears to have not passed any recent safety inspections. Predictably they crash in the jungle far from civilization. In time they will face such dangers as: jungle predators, cannibal native tribes, and a sleazebag slave trader who wears an 80's thrash metal bracelet along with a dress shirt. Aside from Kevin and the Vietnam vet who still can't stop hurling racist slurs leftover from his tour of duty, no one else is well equipped or even dressed properly for survival. High heels, anyone?

Three years ago, I began my October horror marathon by watching Slave of the Cannibal God (1978) for the first time. That was my first and presumably last hardcore cannibal feature ever. Despite the presence of two big name stars (Ursula Andress and Stacy Keach), I was in no way prepared for the real life (not simulated) animal cruelty and killings on the screen. As a dog owner and animal lover, I just can't do it ever again. Fortunately, there is none of that to be had in Massacre in Dinosaur Valley. Though truth be told, there is a brief cockfighting scene. So much lighter this time regardless.

Massacre in Dinosaur Valley often plays like a sleazy action-adventure trash film. The camera frequently lingers on the women, more titillating than what we generally see in the erotic films of Jess Franco. Sopkiw seems to be really enjoying himself playing a manwhore and the action star who never goes too far in pushing the panic button. If you expect to see some kind of Lost World home to rampaging dinosaurs, this isn't that kind of story. Aside from a few laughably easy to find dinosaur tracks and a few bones, there's nothing here to see in that department. A few gory scenes pop up, but nothing to hurt your stomach.

This release from Severin was a relatively fun purchase during their last sitewide sale. Among the supplements is an interview with Michael Sopkiw. Once again, he is funny and honest talking about these films. Turns out this was shot only an hour outside of Rio de Janeiro in what they call forests, nowhere near the jungle depths this story focuses upon.

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

4th October:

The Laughing Dead

The dead may well be laughing, but I wasn't, boredom and begging for the end were the only emotions I could muster up for this shit show.

Terrible acting, awful dialogue, unlikeable characters, a WTF story and a shit score. There were a couple of nice gore sequences and some of the monster FX were decent, but that was not enough to redeem it for me, this was a long hard slog and one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

Mok, CPT HOOK, Colin and 6 others like this.
  16. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 4

16. A Classic Horror Story (2021) Netflix - Went into this one not knowing what to expect. Didn't watch trailers or anything. Not too bad and not really what I was expecting. I believe it was Italian made as well.

17. Satan's Triangle (1975) Prime - After seeing Satans-Sadists post, I knew I wanted to take this one in. Hots4 reinforced it for me. I remember all of this Bermuda Triangle stuff back in the day and that is what peaks my interest in some of that type of content. The bigfoot stuff, etc. Thought this one was pretty engaging to watch. Kept my interest right to the end. Good tip!

18. Sinister (2012) Blu - Been on kind of a more modern era bender this year. I have missed a lot of these movies due to my love of the more retro style horror movies. I had fun with this one. Not perfect, but not too bad.

19. Malevolent (2018) Netflix - Tapped Netflix for a couple of films today. Easy to download and take with me. I thought this one started well enough, but not sure how much I really liked it after it ended. IMDB stated that it was supposed to be in the 80's and the hairstyles and everything were not correct. I could see this. I lived that era at a younger age and it did seem quite off.

~Rocker10

Mok, fattyjoe37, CPT HOOK and 5 others like this.
  17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Mok, Rocker10, fattyjoe37 and 2 others like this.
  18. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 4th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11) The Old Ways: A journalist visits her home village in Mexico looking to write a piece on the locals and native culture, but instead finds herself a prisoner, with the villagers thinking she is possessed. For what it’s worth, I appreciated “The Old Ways” for trying to be different. It’s approach to demonic possession horror stands out thanks to its reliance on Latin American folklore instead of the cliché formula of the European/Catholic Church. I also thought the sisterly bond formed between the two lead actresses was handled nicely as well. But even at 90-minutes, the film feels much longer. Often dragging its feet to pad out the screen time. It does allude to drug addiction and trauma as it correlates to possession, but those ideas are underdeveloped. It had the right idea but fails to deliver on its unique concept. (5/10)

12) No One Gets Out Alive: Recently immigrating from Mexico to Ohio, a struggling young woman finds a place of her own. But her new residence harbors dark secrets. Despite its social commentary on the plight of immigrants in the United States, “No One…” does itself no favors by playing things safe and building to a mediocre conclusion. Despite having a fantastic, gloomy set piece in a dilapidated boarding house, the film offers little in terms of scares. Everything here is textbook haunted house affair. Lead actress Cristina Rodlo does do great here, playing a vulnerable and isolated character very well. But between a million different red herrings, weird clues, and some – descent – spooky moments, the film falls flat by the end, feeling incomplete. (5/10)

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

5. The Leech Woman (Edward Dein, 1960)

[​IMG]

A withered crone (aka a woman over 25) journeys with her caddish scientist husband to Africa to find the secret to eternal youth. But (as usual) there is a steep price to be paid for tampering in God's domain...or something like that. I loved this movie. Without exception, every character is despicable. The young couple at the end are supposed to be the virtuous ones, I suppose...but the girl is a potential murderer, and the guy is so weak-willed he leaves his fiance waiting in the car while he tries to make it with Leech Woman! Everybody else is much worse - every one of them lying, manipulating, traitorous, murderous. Hell, the strapping jungle guide essentially opts for genocide-via-dynamite as a means of escaping from the native village. The representation of women in this is also howlingly awful. Apparently the worst thing that could ever...ever...EVER befall a woman is for her to reach 30. The speech by the native priestess is amazing - "What woman on earth wouldn't give every remaining minute of her life for one more fleeting taste of youth?" or something like that. But the best part is when the jungle guide awakens to see Leech Woman, with whom he's just spent a night of rambunctious sex in her youthful form, has now reverted to her slightly wrinkled state. She comes staggering towards him, pleading for his help. His response: "DON'T TOUCH ME!" - and then he literally runs away to his doom. He is so disgusted by the prospect of being touched by a woman with wrinkles that he would rather die. Holy shit - what a great movie.

20. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 7:
    Better Off Zed (2018)
    3. HIGH SPIRITS: Tickle your funny bones with a side splitter, a gut buster, a real scream. Go on, laugh your head off!

An ok low budget zombie film. The comedy comes from the couple's quirks instead of being an out and out slapstick sort of horror comedy. I was more interested in their day to day lives during the zombie apocalypse then the inevitable zombie attack finale.

Mok, Rocker10, satans-sadists and 6 others like this.