The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

* = First Time Viewing

Cannibal Man (1972)*

Terrible title (originally called the more accurate "Week of the Killer") follows a guy who accidentally kills a cab driver then goes on a spree, killing his girlfriend (Emma Cohen), his brother, and so on to cover up his crimes. To add to this he disposes of the evidence in the meatpacking plant where he works. The movie is a downer all the way through with the lead's motivations for murder suspect at best. The most intriguing part is the friendship he shares with another man - maybe it was me but there seemed to be a suggestion of attraction between the two. It was an hour and 40 minutes of downer.

Kim Bruun, CPT HOOK, baggio and 7 others like this.
  2. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 28

Been trying to get at least one movie from the big franchises. Spent a little time with those in the last couple of days.

127. Sleepaway Camp (1983) Blu - A young girl named Angela is sent to summer camp. The other kids tend to be not so nice and bad things start happening to them. I like this movie. There is just something about these camp horror movies that make them fun to me. I liked Ricky, Angela's cousin. That kid has some fight and attitude in him.

128. Death Valley (1982) Blu - A mom, her son and her new boyfriend head to Death Valley and end up tangled with a local serial killer. Another fun movie. I always thought Peter Billingsley did a pretty good job with this movie and A Christmas Story. This movie is just a good sit back and chill movie. I tend to catch it at least once a year.

129. Night Of The Living Dead (1968) Blu - Here's another movie that needs no introduction. I didn't get to many of the Dead movies in this year, but chose this one as I love the Criterion set. Beautiful transfer and good supplements.

130. Hell House LLC (2015) Prime - 5 Years after an accident happens on the set of a haunted house tour, a documentary crew try's to figure out what happened. This one is part documentary part found footage. Obviously not inspired by true events. It's okay for what it is I guess. It's interesting at points, but does drag a bit.

131. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Blu - This film is so odd and uncomfortable, but you always come back to it. I've seen this one more than any of the sequels. It's quite an experience for sure.

~Rocker10

3. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

The Ghoul (1933) – Kind of striking out with the black and white purchases this year although I guess it’s to be expected since in prior years I’ve gone with more popular movies. This one and a lot of the other black and white horror movies I picked up this year were like I remember this type of movie being like back when I was a kid and wasn’t into them. A lot of them are slow and are not really about what they say they’re about. In this case we have The Ghoul, where we have very little of the ghoul after he shows up more than half way through the movie; most of the movie is about people trying to steal a jewel. Basically Karloff’s character is dying so he buys an ancient jewel called The Eternal Light that can bring him immortality and then it is stolen after he dies. He does come back to life and tries to get the jewel but the whole thing is centered around the jewel.
    It’s really not a bad movie; it would be pretty entertaining were it what I was looking for and Karloff looked cool as the ghoul, but as an October title it’s a bit of a dud. It’s also just kind of great that you can see it as all since it looks like this was a movie that was considered lost at one point.

I put another movie from the same era on, this one had a creepy, cobweb-filled gothic castle, cheesy looking spiders and bats, Bela Lugosi with a goth chick, fog, etc… and told a variation on the Dracula/vampire story. I was thinking it was pretty good and was relieved to finally be watching a black and white movie that was an actual horror movie but then in the last scene I saw I’d been fleeced again as all the vampires were just pretend and part of a scam, they were employees of an acting company. The title is in spoiler tags because there was no way to complain about this one without ruining the movie:
    Mark of the Vampire (1935)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Kim Bruun, indrid13, CPT HOOK and 6 others like this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 28th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Two classics. It's not Halloween without them.

74) An American Werewolf in London

75) Creepshow

Kim Bruun, f.ramses, hots4 and 7 others like this.
  5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 34:
    A Chinese Ghost Story (1987)
    First Time Viewing (Amazon Prime)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    28. THESE FISTS BREAK BRICKS: In celebration of the excellent new book, watch a martial arts movie.

Big Trouble in Regular China

[​IMG]
    Movie 35:
    Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin (2021)
    First Time Viewing (Paramount Plus)
    *** (out of 5)

What made the first Paranormal Activity so good was that it was set in a house just like one you've lived in. This in-name-only sequel doesn't build fear out of relatability, but instead does some creepy shit with an Amish cult. So while it isn't close to being as effective as the original, it's better than I expected after the 6 year gap following the abysmal Ghost Dimension.

[​IMG]
    Movie 36:
    The Black Room (1935)
    First Time Viewing (Sony's Icons of Horror: Boris Karloff DVD box set)
    *** (out of 5)
    29. DOUBLE TROUBLE: There's gotta be some twins in there somewhere.

Karloff has fun playing the good and evil twins, but even at just 70 minutes I found my mind wandering.

6. Angelman

* = First Time Viewing

Lord Shango (1975)*

Not a horror film, at least not the way I think of horror. More in the Ganja & Hess world than horror. The plot, quickly, sees a woman's daughter's boyfriend accidentally drowned during a forced baptism, driving the woman to reject Christianity. The film then kind of jumps around with lots of elements: African cult, sacrifice, possession, revenge from beyond the grave. But none of them are over emphasized. Marlene Clark is just great in this film bringing her trademark energy but it's actor Lawrence Cook who steals the show including a mid-film monologue that showcases some serious acting chops. Not what I expected but I really dug this. And I need to find other Lawrence Cook films to watch. man, he was really good in this. Dude just owned every scene he was in.

N0w on to Halloween & Halloween II...

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 27TH:

PARENTS.png

73. And You Thought Your Parents Were Weird! (1991) (VHS) - Direct-to-video family fare about a teenage inventor (Joshua John Miller of Teen Witch, Near Dark, River's Edge) who follows his crush (A.J. Langer of The People Under The Stairs and My So-Called Life) to a Halloween party and gets roped into having a seance, where they end up in contact with his dead father. Through this, the ghost of his father ends up possessing his latest invention, a robot named Newman (voiced by Alan Thicke). Meanwhile, they have to deal with nosy reporters, mom's new boyfriend, and a couple of junkyard thieves looking to steal the robot. The only person who can save them is the ghost of Albert Einstein. Yes, you read that correctly. The Halloween stuff ends around the 20-minute mark, but this is still a cute little burst of nostalgia for fans of '90s family films. However, this one is a bit more Charles Band (Prehysteria, Remote) than Disney. Still fun if you're in the mood for that kind of thing.

ADDAMS.png

74. The Addams Family 2 (2021) (VOD) - The animated version of the classic horror family hits the road, traveling from Niagara Falls to Sausalito. Also, Wednesday might have been switched at birth and Uncle Fester is turning into an octopus. This was cute and mostly fun, and I definitely enjoyed it more than the last movie. That said, this is really not my thing. Addams Family Values all the way for me. I'm sure the kids will love it though.

[​IMG]

75. Clownhouse (1989) (DVD) - I hadn't seen this one since the DVD was released (or not released), so after it was mentioned here recently I thought it might be due for a revisit. The flyer for the carnival says October 15th-18th and the mom mentions it is two weeks to Halloween, so it's a fit for the season. The three brothers spend most of the movie obnoxiously bickering, which makes this an even more difficult movie to get into aside from the obvious reasons. However, everything with the clowns is effectively spooky and extremely well-done. I love how in the chase scenes where the kids are being chased by the clowns, the clowns are about a yard behind them! I can't think of a slasher chase that close since Leatherface sprinting after Sally in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Stigma aside, the second half of the movie is an effective spookshow and the 80 minute running time keeps it from overstaying its welcome.

[​IMG]

76. Nobody Sleeps In The Woods Tonight 2 (2021) (NetFlix) - Even only a year later, I could barely remember the first movie so I read the Wikipedia synopsis for a quick refresher. That brought most of it back, which is a fairly straight-forward camp slasher about tech-detoxing teens being killed off in the woods by a pair of mutant hillbillies. Ala The Descent Part 2, this one picks up immediately after the first, with the final girl and hillbillies in police custody. From here, the police head out to the crime scene along with the final girl, and we get an extremely cop-heavy slasher film for the first half. Cops in slasher movies aren't really my thing, and this was no exception. After that, the second half of the movie goes completely bonkers and becomes a quirky mutant alien love story, which is cute for about five minutes but when it goes on for an entire half of the movie it is quite tedious. Was definitely not a fan of this one, they should have kept it simple and just brought in more summer camp teenagers to slaughter. I don't think it even cracked NetFlix's top 10, and I imagine it will have disappeared completely into the algorithm within the next couple days.

OCTOBER 28TH:

JUST BEYOND.png

77. Just Beyond Episodes 5 & 6 "Unfiltered" & "We've Got Spirits, Yes We Do" (Disney+) - More from R.L. Stine's Disney anthology horror. Unfiltered is a predictable story about the nerdy girl who uses an app to supernaturally enhance her appearance, but goes too far when she becomes a plastic surgery botch job. Despite being been-there-done-that, as this story is done constantly in modern kid-friendly anthology horror, this was mostly fun. I was expecting We've Got Spirits to be some kind of cheerleader horror, but there are no cheerleaders to be found here. This one is about a girl who comes across the ghosts of a dead acting troupe in an old historic theater. I wish they had gone more for scares in this episode, but in a Disney show what can you expect. These were both fine.

[​IMG]

78. Muppets Haunted Mansion (2021) (Disney+) - This was a cute and mostly fun little Halloween special with a few laughs throughout, but if it had gone any longer than its 50 minute running time I would have probably been over it. Gonzo and Pepper spend the night in a haunted house, challenged with lasting the night. Pepper has the more interesting story, as he is wooed by an axe-murdering black widow played by Taraji P Henson (no relation to Jim Henson, that I'm aware of). Just a slight Halloween decoration of a movie, nothing more.

[​IMG]

79. Trick Or Treats (1982) (Blu-ray) - I know people hate this movie, but I'm a fan. I think people approach it as a slasher film and are upset when it doesn't deliver. I would agree that it doesn't deliver as a slasher movie, only really going there in the last 15 minutes. For me, it's a comedic redo of Halloween. Jacqueline Giroux is a lot of fun as the sardonic babysitter who has had enough with little Christopher's obnoxious tricks. The cameos are fun, and any movie with Paul Bartel in it is automatically great. Everything at the house feels like good Halloween-time fun, but around that we get silly little scenes of the escaped "mental patient" wandering in non-convincing drag and getting hit on by every man he crosses paths with, plus a quirky meta element involving two female horror movie editors, one of whom winds up at the babysitting house. Don't take it too seriously and don't expect to be scared, and this one is a good time.

PARANORMAL.png

80. Paranormal Activity: Next Of Kin (2021) (Paramount+) - I was a little apprehensive going into this because I haven't seen one of these movies since The Ghost Dimension in 2015 and don't ask me to remember anything from the first six movies. Fortunately, this one pretty much starts fresh and works entirely as a stand-alone, so much so that I was confused as to why they even used the Paranormal Activity title. The break from the barrage of found-footage movies was most welcome, and that worked in this movie's favor. The camera technology has advanced so much that this doesn't even feel like a found-footage movie for the most part, or at least they aren't strict about using it, I'm not sure what the approach was. Anyway, as a standalone found-footage horror movie, this is a pretty good one with effective winter atmosphere and spookiness along with the cheap and silly jump scares. I had a good time watching it. Best of the franchise since 3.

OCTOBER 29TH:

DOUBLE.png

81. Double, Double, Toil And Trouble (1993) (Hulu) - I remembered this one from childhood and thought it might be a fun revisit for the season. There are definitely things in this movie that have not aged gracefully, especially kicking off this children's movie with a fairly racist jack-o-lantern gag. Casual racism aside, what has aged gracefully about this movie is that it is still good Halloween fun, mainly thanks to a delightful dual performance from Cloris Leachman. There's even a very brief early role for Karin Konoval, exposing the movie's Vancouver roots. Your mileage may vary if you didn't see this one as a kid, but for me it was a decent blast of nostalgia that modern kids in the mood for spooky Halloween fun might even enjoy.

Previous Entries:
    1. Girls School Screamers (1985)
    2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Black As Night (2021)
    4. Coming Home In The Dark (2021)
    5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Bingo Hell (2021)
    7. Blades (1989)
    8. Lost After Dark (2015)
    9. The Ghosting (1992)
    10. Midnight (1982)
    11. A Day Of Judgment (1981)
    12. Death On Demand (2008)
    13. Creepshow: Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5 "Pipe Screams / Within The Walls Of Madness" & "Night Of The Living Late Show"
    14. Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions (2021)
    15. Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1992)
    16. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 1 "Sequels That Don't Suck"
    17. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021)
    18. V/H/S/94 (2021)
    19. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 8 "Inside"
    20. House Of Death (aka Death Screams) (1982)
    21. Welcome To The Blumhouse: The Manor (2021)
    22. House Of Wax (2005)
    23. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Madres (2021)
    24. Slugs (1988)
    25. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 2 "Infections"
    26. Midnight Mass Episodes 1 - 4 "Book I: Genesis" "Book II: Psalms" "Book III: Proverbs" "Book IV: Lamentations"
    27. Killer Camp Season 2 Episode 1 "A Smashing Sequel"
    28. Hallow's End (2003)
    29. The Walking Dead Season 11 Episodes 7 & 8 "Promises Broken" & "For Blood"
    30. Devil's Night (aka Left For Dead) (2007)
    31. Have A Nice Weekend (1975)
    32. Sorority Kill (1974)
    33. Chucky Episode 1 "Death By Misadventure"
    34. Day Of The Dead Episode 1 "The Thing In The Hole"
    35. The Caretaker (2008)
    36. The Disappointments Room (2016)
    37. Midnight Mass Episodes 5 - 7 "Book V: Gospels" "Book VI: Act Of The Apostles" "Book VII: Revelation"
    38. Evil Breed: The Legend Of Samhain (2003)
    39. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 9 "Blue Moon"
    40. I Know What You Did Last Summer Episodes 1 & 2 "It's Thursday" & "It's Not Just For Dog Shit"
    41. Halloween Kills (2021)
    42. You Season 3 Episodes 1 - 5 "And They Lived Happily Ever After" "So I Married An Axe Murderer" "Missing White Woman Syndrome" "Hands Across Madre Linda" "Into The Woods"
    43. Alone In The Dark (1982)
    44. I Know What You Did Last Summer Episodes 3 & 4 "A Gorilla Head Will Not Do" & "Hot Shrimp Salad"
    45. Slumber Party Massacre (2021)
    46. Killer Camp Season 2 Episode 2 "Don't Lose Your Head"
    47. Deadly Friend (1986)
    48. You Season 3 Episodes 6 - 10 "W.O.M.B." "We're All Mad Here" "Swing And A Miss" "Red Flag" "What Is Love?"
    49. Superstition (1982)
    50. Old (2021)
    51. Chucky Episode 2 "Give Me Something Good To Eat"
    52. Happy Hell Night (1992)
    53. The Night House (2020)
    54. Night Teeth (2021)
    55. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 3 "Psychics"
    56. Tower Of Terror (1997)
    57. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 10 "The Future Perfect"
    58. I Know What You Did Last Summer Episode 5 "Mukbang"
    59. Just Beyond Episodes 1 - 4 "Leave Them Kids Alone" "Parents Are From Mars, Kids Are From Venus" "Which Witch" "My Monster"
    60. Day Of The Dead Episode 2 "Chum"
    61. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
    62. Party Crasher: My Bloody Birthday (2000)
    63. The Simpsons "Treehouse Of Horror XXXII"
    64. Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988)
    65. The Mothman Prophecies (2002)
    66. Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989)
    67. Prey (2021)
    68. Under Wraps (2021)
    69. Trick (2019)
    70. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 4 "Apocalyptic Horror"
    71. Chucky Episode 3 "I Like To Be Hugged"
    72. Dark Night Of The Scarecrow (1981)

8. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 46:
    Night of the Living Dead (1968)

This was a chance viewing. Was flipping through the channels Saturday night and saw Macabre Theater was going to be playing it. A classic. Was fun seeing it on TV with a horror host. And it was a chance to ogle Ivonna Cadaver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Movie # 47:
    Flowers in the Attic (2014)
    24. 2 CLOSE 4 COMFORT: A main character suffers from claustrophobia.

When I was in high school and reading a ton of horror novels, a cousin let be borrow a few of the V.C.Andrews books. The books, the Flowers movie from the '80's and the Lifetime movies are a guilty pleasure of mine.

9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Shatter Dead – When I first bought this on VHS ages ago I picked it up at Chiller at a table run by Scooter McCrae (the director) and Stark Raven (the star), for $15 I got the tape, autographs from the two of them, and then McCrae and I had a belt from the bottle of whiskey he had in his jacket; quite the deal! This one is kind of interesting, it’s a zombie movie where the zombies just act like normal people and it’s about how the world deals with the fact that no one really dies anymore. Some people try to survive, others kill themselves as cleanly as possible so they have a good looking corpse and can pass among the living, and others punish those who try to survive by killing them in ways that leave them mutilated for when they come back. It's a low budget movie and it isn’t particularly exciting all the time but I really think they did a good job on this and that the direction they took with the story was a very interesting and probably original one that I always remembered. There are two over the top scenes in this movie that always used to get mentioned in discussions about this movie back in the day, they’re probably what got me interested in the movie in the first place since I used to really go for shock with most purchases back then but thankfully the movie proves again to be more than just two shock scenes.

[​IMG]

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 27th

THE KILLER BARBYS (1996)

[​IMG]

Driving in a van through rural Spain, a "punk" band named Killer Barbys appear to be taking the most out of the way route to their next venue. Along some rough road, their vehicle breaks down. An older dude called Arkan (Aldo Sambrell) informs them how far away the nearest garage is (62 kilometers). The good news is they are welcome to stay in the old castle he calls home, which belongs to a Countess (Mariangela Giordano). A promise is made that their vehicle can be towed the following day. After spending a little time in the castle, the musicians connect the dots that the Countess may in fact be the famous artist Olga Lujan? Problem is that this would make her over 100 years old. If she is the same person, what do you suppose are her beauty tricks?

I've been collecting Jess Franco films for over 15 years. To date, I've only purchased his catalog titles from the 60's through the 80's. Doing this at a leisurely pace in fact. Earlier this year was an exception. I bought this from Redemption on a Kino Lorber sale. Killer Barbys certainly felt like culture shock to me. Plays out like an extended promo video for an actual band with the same name (different spelling). Calling the music in this film punk is rather generous. Much more like grunge slop roadkill. The songs are bad enough, but hearing the same shit over and over pasted into random scenes and turned up too loud doesn't fit in with the style of Franco at all. Not even bothering with their names. I was just eager for them to meet their demise quickly. The Countess was played by a 59 year old Italian actress. Once her ancient effects makeup is erased, let's just say she is in excellent shape for a nude lady her age. The tone of the movie alternates between dopey black comedy and splatter gore. First point of reference seems to be Elizabeth Bathory when pondering the subject matter. Really though, there is no depth to be found.

Jess Franco directed a massive number of films. For the most part, I've been cherry picking. The cheap sale price compelled me. The production era should have warned me. Shot on 16mm, but processed to the point of looking like this was dreaded shot on video junk.

11. Rocker10

Day 29

132. Dawn Of The Dead (2004) Blu - A group of survivors take refuge in a shopping mall after a plague turns people into zombies. This is another remake I was referring to the other day when I mentioned really liking a few of them. The original will always be king in my book, but this one is a fun ride as well. Apparently Romero thought that this one got started good, but lost it's way the further it went into the runtime.

133. The Cabin In The Woods (2011) Blu - Some friends head to a cabin in the woods and get much more than they bargained for. There are bigger secrets to this cabin. The first time I saw this I don't remember being particularly fond of it. I watched it again a year or two ago and it sunk in. Now I really dig it. So much going on.

134. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1970) Blu - An American expatriate witnesses an attempted murder in Rome and even though danger lurks he starts investigating. I hadn't watched much Argento this year and wanted to get one or two in. I always liked this one even though not scary. It's fun storytelling and is enjoyable to me with repeat viewings.

135. Return To Sleepaway Camp (2008) DVD - Back to camp in this direct sequel to the original. The kids torment each other and people start dying off. This movie has 3 characters return from the original, Ronnie, the fitness guy, Ricky and Angela. It also has one of the most obnoxious lead characters I have seen in a long time. The tone in the first half or so feels a bit childish, but the second half starts feeling more like a B level slasher. Robert Hiltzik returned as director as well. This was also Isaac Hayes final movie before passing that same year.

136. The Nest (1987) Blu - A biological experiment goes wrong when meat eating cockroaches invade an Island town and start butchering its citizens. The killer cockroach movie! I liked this movie as well. I think I have watched it distracted a few times, but this time, sat back and chilled with it and had a good time watching.

137. The Ambulance (1990) Blu - A comic book artist meets a woman on the streets of New York and after she collapses, an ambulance picks her up and she disappears. Eric Roberts takes the lead on this one and does a great job. Probably one of my favorites with him. I wasn't aware of this movie until a few years ago and have been a big fan since my first viewing. Although the idea and part of the story has some horror elements to it, this one plays out with a bit of comedy, drama and action. Very fun film anyway.

~Rocker10

12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 29th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

76) Trick r’ Treat: My favorite horror anthology behind "Creepshow". Everything about this is just perfect, from the production and costume design, to the special effects, and the colorful cast of characters. It's still a shame this thing got dumped direct to video because this deserved the big screen treatment.

77) Ichabod Crane (or The Legend of Sleepy Hollow): Probably my earliest horror memory. I used to watch this all the time as a kid on VHS. It still holds up all theses years later. That Iconic first glimpse of the Headless Horseman is still something.

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 26th: Halloween

Halloween.png

I love Halloween. It's a perfect union of narrative simplicity and technical skill. What can one say about it that hasn't already been said? I've been scared by it many times. I guess I am quite familiar with it by now, and on this particular viewing, I didn't find myself reaching for a pillow to hide behind, but I still enjoyed it. Apart from the well-timed scares and what I consider the best horror soundtrack of all time, it's rich with the atmosphere of the holiday. Even if the trees are green. I went for a walk the other day. There were bare trees, green trees, and yellow trees.

October 27th: Halloween Kills

Halloween Kills.png

I can't quite say that I agree with the all the positivity this movie is getting here. As a whole, Halloween Kills is a bit too bloated for my taste. It wants to make a statement about mob mentality and vigilante justice, and no fewer than two characters are basically just there as expository mouthpieces for the message in case the audience doesn't get it. The idea of vigilante squads going hunting for Michael makes sense, but honestly, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers did it better. Here, it makes for an overly busy climax and a silly final confrontation. Now, there were elements I liked. The 1978 flashback was wonderfully done, and seeing "Donald Pleasance" put a smile on my face. I also enjoyed Kyle Richards' performance. She gets the closest thing to a chase scene this movie has to offer, though it is unfortunately too short. A Halloween film needs a suspenseful chase scene, and this one never quite manages one. The gore and violence is great, with my favorites being the fluorescent light kill, the self-inflicted gunshot to the face via car door, and the whole firefighter massacre (Michael is now a gladiator? Who cares! The sheer brutality of it is awesome). Also, the way Michael survives the conflagration of Laurie's design is brilliantly done. Finally, I've always defended the whole brother/sister plotline. It gives Michael an excuse to keep coming after Laurie - a character we've come to care about. The other female victims in the original Halloween are basically re-enactments of him killing Judith, so it makes sense that Laurie is the main target. Halloween (2018) dispenses with the brother/sister plotline, and Halloween Kills addresses why Laurie is put in Michael's path once again satisfactorily. Still, I'll take Halloween II over Halloween Kills any day. Halloween Kills easily beats the two Zombie movies, however, and the cringeworthy Halloween: Resurrection. God, I hate Halloween: Resurrection.

October 29th: Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Season of the Witch.png

I love Tom Atkins. I've come to really appreciate Season of the Witch. My issue with it was never the absence of Michael Myers. I think it was more that it doesn't give deliver scares of the same caliber that went before it. I also felt there were certain improbabilities in terms of plot. Not the fantastical elements. Those are the premise of the movie. It was more an internal logic thing. Seeing it again makes me realize that it is better put together than I initially thought. One thing still bugs me: Ellie. No, not that Ellie-bot doesn't try to stop Challis from sabotaging Conal Cochran's plan. The movie needs to take certain liberties to set up that final scare. It's another thing: When Challis throws the chips at the central computer system, the operator bots are fried in the electrical blast. The hitman bots, though nowhere near the blast, shut down as well. So, we a to assume the the bots are controlled from this central computer system? Why doesn't Ellie-bot shut down as well? Oh right, it's the dramatic license, we need that final scare. Maybe Ellie-bot was operated from its own little computer located somewhere else entirely. :D Still, I dig the atmosphere of this one, and the downbeat ending.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 48:
    Sleep No More (2018)
    25. SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE*: Sleep deprived and still alive…for now. (*Does not have to be set in Seattle)

The best things about this '80's set science gone wrong flick are Brea Grant and the '80's tunes.

[​IMG]

Movie # 49:
    Stanley (1972)
    26. DAY OF THE SERPENT: There better be a motherf*ing snake in this motherf*ing movie.

Basically Willard with snakes but kookier and a bit sleazy.

Natas, f0t0z00m, f.ramses and 8 others like this.
  15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I thoroughly enjoyed "SWEETHEART" on Netflix. Loved the creature effect! Looks-wise, it reminded me of the beastie in "Blood Tide" a little.

f.ramses, Rocker10, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  16. Angelman

Halloween (1978)
    What else is there to say; it's perfect. I think what amazes me is how the film forces you to live in it's (pre-slasher craze) universe, whereas other slasher films live in your world where you know what slasher films are. The decision to go Panavision makes the film feel way bigger than it really is.

Halloween II (1981)
    My personal favorite. Yes, it has its pandering moments but there is something so darkly inevitable about it, especially those last 20 minutes. Should have been the end of the series and while I enjoy the rest of the alternate timelines, sequel and reboots to varying degrees, the series really ended with parts 1 & 2.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    CPT HOOK, Colin, Natas and 10 others like this.
  17. Rocker10

Day 30

138. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) Blu - The story of a hooded killer terrorizing the citizens of Texarkana and killing at least 5 people. He was never caught. Interesting movie by Charles Pierce who also did The Legend of Boggy Creek and The Evictors. Used the same narrator as Boggy Creek. This is another one I usually watch every year.

139. Maniac Cop (1988) Blu - A killer that dresses in a police uniform kills people on the streets of New York City. I first found this one many years ago due to Bruce Campbell and my love of the Evil Dead movies. Always a good watch.

140. Ghosthouse (1988) Blu - After tracking down a radio signal to a deserted house, a group of people keep seeing visions of a young girl and her doll. I thought this movie was okay. The recording that kept playing over and over got a bit annoying after a bit. Fairly average, but watchable.

141. The Video Dead (1987) Blu - A television set is delivered to a family who is unaware that it is a portal for the living dead to pass through to our world. This movie is a cheese-fest. A so bad its good type of thing. Part of Scream Factory's two movie set with Terrorvision.

142. The Gate (1987) Blu - After their parents take off for a few days, some kids accidently unleash demons through a hole that is unearthed in their backyard. I was a big fan of this movie back when it was released. My favorites were the small golem guys. Terry was an interesting character as well with his love of metal. Killer Dwarfs back patches and vinyl records. What else do you need?

143. The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue (1974) Blu - A local community starts using ultrasonic radition by way of these odd looking machines to kill insects that could affect their crops. Unbeknownst to them they unleash the living dead as well. This was my second go through of the recent Synapse restoration set and this thing is beautiful. Not a cheap set to buy, but at the time I had some credit card points and burned a few to absorb the 50 dollar cost. Really enjoy the movie as well. Kind of a nut for this type of foreign film.

~Rocker10

18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I watched almost all the Hellraiser movies a few years ago minus the most recent one. I posted reviews here if not on the Horror.com forum. The movies are definitely hit and miss after the first one which is a classic. I do have a thing for Part 3 as well. I read wiki to learn that many were made for the company to keep the rights to the property. Also that some started off as other movies and were turned into Hellraiser movies.

I am looking forward to the upcoming Hellraiser projects. I believe there are two. I do want to see the female Pinhead as I understand that Pinhead doesn't have a gender in the book, which I'll read eventually. Also the actress that will play Pinhead is a transwoman. I only know that because there was an article on DarkHorizons a while back about the Sense 8 TV show and one of the actresses said something about not being able to play other roles. That's the actress that will play Pinhead. So we'll see how that turns out.

Rocker10, Angelman, hots4 and 2 others like this.
  19. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

The Gate – Another childhood favorite that’s just as good as it was back in the day, if not better. A kid discovers that a storm has opened up a gateway to hell in his back yard and has to close the gate before it’s too late, thankfully he’s able to find out how to do this by having his metalhead friend play a record backwards!

Devil’s Nightmare – This title was a random buy for me back in the 90s, I bought it because I wanted to get a Redemption title and this looked to be the best of the few they had. Over the years I’d keep coming back to this title and like it a little more each time right up until now where it is one of my all time favorites. A group of tourists gets stranded at a cursed castle where a succubus is on the prowl to kill them in a state of mortal sin to damn their souls. From beautiful women, to great atmosphere, cool kills, and even a bit of humor this is one that pretty much has it all.

Hocus Pocus – I never realized it before even though they’re both titles I often do in October but this movie is very similar to The Midnight Hour and while I think I prefer The Midnight Hour I do enjoy this one quite a bit too. Some kids summon 3 witches back to life on Halloween and with the aid of a immortal, talking cat have to stop them before they sacrifice all the children in town to extend their lives. It’s actually kind of surprising that this one holds up so well.

20. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m Active Member

17. Burnt Offerings (1976)

Another one I saw mentioned on here in years past. I found it very slow. The mystery of the house and the slow building tension and suspense kept me interested. I knew the end would provide some pay off, but it was a long ride. Not much really happens until the end and the movie is just under 2 hours. Ok one time watch for me.

CPT HOOK, f.ramses, Colin and 5 others like this.