The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Hi everybody!! Even though it feels like it was just January a few weeks ago, turns out that October is just around the corner. And we all know what that means. It's time for

The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Here's how it works: Every year the people here on Horror Digital watch a crap load of horror-related movies/TV shows and then come to this thread to brag, write a review, post pics, or get ideas for what to watch next. Just do a post for each movie you watch for each day. It really is fun, especially if everyone takes part and gets in the spirit. It lasts all month and hopefully everyone will join in starting October 1st at 12 a.m. Sound like fun? Of course it does. Sound hard? Not at all. Just check out last year's thread to get an idea how it works. It's here.

So on October 1st, I hope to see everyone going crazy with their horror movie watching. Maybe now is the time to start planning what to watch, or you can just wing it. Just be sure to watch horror movies until your eyes explode and/or brain melts.

Have fun!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Squee!
    [ 44x 2007 | 56x 2008 | 63x 2009 | 33x 2010 | 42x 2011 | 77x 2012 | 47x 2013 | 47x 2014 | 56x 2015 | 48x 2016 | 43x 2017 | 49x 2018 | 22x 2019 | 51x 2020]

01 10/01 Vampira Presents, The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
    02 10/02 Svengoolie Presents, Blood of Dracula (1957) - A female teen gets fangy!
    03 10/09 Svengoolie Presents, Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) - ‘Nuff said!
    00 10/12 The Mads Presents, Halloween Safety (1977) [commentary w/ Frank Conniff & Trace Beaulieu] [w/ guest Kliph Nesteroff]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021 at 5:02 AM
    indrid13 likes this.
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Hell yes.

1st: CHILDREN OF THE CORN (1984) ***
    2nd: MALIGNANT (2021) ****
    HALLOWEEN (1978) *****
    3rd: THE OMEN (1976) *****
    THE MUMMY'S GHOST (1944) **
    4th: SPECTRE (1977) ***
    5th: nothing
    6th: nothing
    7th: SCREAM & SCREAM AGAIN (1970) ***
    8th: CHILDREN OF THE CORN II: THE FINAL SACRIFICE (1992) **1/2
    9th: HALLOWEEN (2018) ****
    BEFORE I WAKE (2018) **
    ONE DARK NIGHT (1982) ***

10th: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984) ***1/2
    SPECTRE (2015) ****
    NO TIME TO DIE (2021) *****
    11th: CHILDREN OF THE CORN III: URBAN HARVEST (1995) ***1/2
    CHILD'S PLAY (1977) ***1/2
    CAMPFIRE TALES (1996) ****
    DAMIEN: OMEN II (1978) ***1/2
    12th: SHOCK 'EM DEAD (1991) **
    MESA OF LOST WOMEN (1953) **1/2
    MONSTER HOUSE (3D) (2006) ****

13th: PIRANHA (3D) (2010) ***
    A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE (1985) ***1/2
    THE BRAIN (1988) ***
    SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE (1986) ***
    14th: EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1960) ***1/2
    WNUF HALLOWEEN SPECIAL (2013) ***

CHILDREN OF THE CORN IV: THE GATHERING (1996) ***
    THE MANOR (2021) ***
    15th: CHILDREN OF THE CORN V: FIELDS OF TERROR (1998) ***
    THERE'S SOMEONE IN YOUR HOUSE (2021) **
    16th: HALLOWEEN KLLS (2021) ***
    KNIFE +HEART (2018) **

17th: CHILDREN OF THE CORN 666: ISAAC'S RETURN (1999) ***
    ALONE (2018) ***1/2 (35)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021 at 10:57 PM
    indrid13 likes this.
  4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

indrid13 and maskull like this.
  5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Six days and counting.... I can't wait.

[​IMG]

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

My film festival just happened to schedule the last weekend in October, going the 28th to the 5th. And my role is elevated. In other words, I stop watching movies at home around the 25th.

[​IMG]

indrid13 and maskull like this.
  7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I'm out this year. Have to prep for an out of state move, way too much to do.

8. maskull

That's a shame. I just finished a move and still have plenty to do, so I somewhat understand how much work and a time suck it is.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Having moved out of state 5 times, I feel your pain. Getting to do cross country drives though were amazing. Best road trips ever. Best of luck with your move.

10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I try to squeeze in as many horror movies as I can in October, but I don't think I could ever do 1/day. Life simply gets in the way. One year, I got like 14 and was pleased with myself. It is important for me to mainly pick movies I'm in the mood for. I don't want it to become a chore to watch a horror movie, so a strict schedule would probably not work for me. Still, looking forward to seeing which titles you (and others) select for this challenge. :D

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it, although I agree that it somehow feels like this year just started....

indrid13 likes this.
  12. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Ready to go here. Probably going to be a bit busy some days this month, so my usual run will probably be a bit shorter this time. Looking forward to it anyway!

~Rocker10

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I normally watch the retro favorites. That's my thing. However...I'm wondering if I should try to see something I have never seen before...and that is mostly the current stuff. Can I give CURRENT a chance? Is it possible to enjoy? Do I HATE the popular millenium flicks as much as I think I do? We'll see...

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Looking forward to October as always. The past couple of years I've done the Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge to decide what I'd watch each day, however my unwatched piles have accumulated and I've got more than enough there so this year is my main movie each day will be first-time watches from my unwatched flicks.

indrid13 likes this.
  15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Rocker10, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  16. maskull

October 1st: first movie. Got home from work and was completely exhausted so I threw on a classic that I've seen many, many times before. Screenshot_20211001-160754_Amazon Shopping.jpg

17. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 1

1. The Hitcher (1986) VHS - Been wanting to watch this for quite awhile now. The only format I had it on was VHS so that had to work for now. Always a fan of this movie and Rutger Hauer. He brings a great performance. I heard some rumblings about this one possibly coming to blu through Second Sight, but who knows.

2. Dark Was The Night (2014) Prime - Thought this was a decent creature feature. Kind of a slow mover but kept my interest until the end. Might end up getting this one on physical.

3. Devil's Island (2021) Prime - I thought the premise of this one was kind of cool with the house on a small island. It would be an interesting way to live. The rest of this movie is an absolute mess. I had many questions that were never answered. Probably one of the most plotless movies I have ever seen. Worth skipping if you haven't seen it.

4. A Quiet Place (2018) 4K - Apparently this movie did quite well and for whatever reason, I missed it and its sequel. Had a blast with it. I did buy the sequel on 4K as well, so will be taking that up in the next few days. Without giving anything away, this would be on hell of a hard way to live. Liked the tense moments in this one.

5. Don't Breathe (2016) Blu - Another movie with some interesting ideas. Dumb criminals break into blind man's house and things don't go well for them. Not too bad I guess.

~Rocker10

Mok, dave13, satans-sadists and 6 others like this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Regarding "The Hitcher' second sight have announced they are going to release it, no dates currently.

There is a German blu ray that's available now, here's the link:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Rutger-Hauer/dp/B085K5JL38/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=The+hitcher&qid=1633151802&qsid=262-9741122-9047748&s=dvd&sr=1-7&sres=B003UF5WDC,B07BP572ZT,B07NHPB3HG,B07NB946SF,B0007QN8B0,B07X5G2VPB,B085KG72HM,B000ION5T6,B001M0JI32,B000IHYBSM,B07NBCWNHQ,B07NBNS361,B000SA8PNG,B07RG2YKPL,B0012IV3SC,B01D0RKCAW&srpt=DOWNLOADABLE_MOVIE

indrid13, maskull and Rocker10 like this.
  19. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 1st: Shallow Grave (1987)

Shallow Grave.png

Wanted to start October off with a first time viewing. Shallow Grave opens with a retake of the shower scene from Psycho. It soon proves to be a prank, a false scare, and it's filmed in a way that obviously assumes audience familiarity with Hitchcock's movie. The rest movie builds on a premise that definitely feels Hitchcockian. That is, Hitchcockian but on a budget and viewed through the youth-oriented glasses of of the 1980's. Four girls on a road trip. One witnesses a murder. They try to report the crime to the local authorities, only to find that the sheriff is the killer. Once the plot proper is established, the movie becomes a tense game of cat-and-mouse, with the situation becoming ever more desperate as the killer takes increasingly drastic measures to silence the protagonists. Justin Kerswell describes the movie as "a slasher flick through and through," even though there aren't any sharp implements in it. Personally, I'd be more inclined to lump it with something like Macon County Line or Poor Pretty Eddie. It does play with one slasher trope. I kept speculating: "Who's gonna be the final girl?" ...and I must say, Shallow Grave subverted my expectations in this department. I was thoroughly entertained. The cast is game. There's suspense as well as sleaze. If the film has one flaw, it's that too many shots filmed against the light source, resulting in a lot of glare and an occasionally washed out color palette. Shallow Grave may not be pretty to look at, but it's a thrilling ride none the less.

20. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 1st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1) Censor: Enid, a film censor in 1980’s England, finds her grip on reality challenged when she watches a film that features her long missing sister. A solid throwback to exploitation cinema, and a great meditation on violence in film and Thatcher era U.K., “Censor” is a trippy, mystery thriller in vain of the early works of David Cronenberg or David Lynch. This is without question one of the best looking indie-horror films I’ve seen this year, and the final act is great with its slowly shrinking aspect ratio. I will admit is does start to stumble over itself towards the finale by trying too hard to feel surrealist, and in some ways falling short, and the illusion of reality blending with fantasy becomes a bit too obvious in the final moments. I’m still torn on how I exactly feel about this one, but it has stuck with me. (7/10)

2) The Vigil: Tasked with overnight watch of a deceased family member – a tradition in Orthodox Jewish communities – on what should be an uneventful evening, a young man finds himself entangled with a possible demonic entity. I’ve long tired of supernatural horror thanks to how much Hollywood has over saturated and watered down the subgenre. “The Vigil” – thankfully – breaks the trend of flashy editing, silly CGI, and over blown jump scares with great atmosphere, character building, and practical effects. Lead Dave Davis does a fantastic job playing a mentally disturbed man grappling with loss and uncertainty. His unreliable narrator persona really helps craft the mood and keeps you guessing at what is really happening. The reliance on practical effects and visual trickery adds to this immersion perfectly, keeping things grounded and had me guessing the whole time. It does fall victim to a few horror clichés though – i.e. a secret room with newspaper clippings tacked to a wall, a video tape over explaining the alleged demonic entity, etc.- and it did make my eyes roll at points. Overall, this was a fantastic piece of Supernatural horror I recommend highly. (7/10)

3) The Unholy: A Disgraced journalist investigates the story of a young woman with godlike, healing abilities, supposedly bestowed on her by the Virgin Mary. But as he peels away the layers, it seems her powers may be at the hands of something more insidious. If it weren’t for this film’s connection to Sam Raimi’s Ghosthouse Productions, I don’t think I would have bothered with this one. And much like every other mainstream, demonic possession horror, this is paint-by-numbers. The film plays it far too safe and is an absolute bore to sit through, and I saw everything that was coming before it got there. It doesn’t help the movie is peppered with lazy jump scares, and a generic looking spooky CGI ghost. The acting here is terrible as well, featuring a lethargic Jeffry Dean Morgan, Carey Elwes sporting one of the worst Bostonian accents I’ve ever heard, and a wooden cast of supporting characters. The look is polished and does have a few nice set pieces – and I appreciated the nod to Bava’s “Black Sunday” during the opening - but this was a complete waste of a film that blends in with the crowd. (3/10)

4) Séance: Camille, the new girl at a private school, makes friends with a group of girls who have an odd obsession with the supernatural, and may have unearthed a ghost who murdered their own. I’ve been curious to see what screenwriter Simon Barrett had in store with his feature debut – despite his many collaborations with director Adam Wingard consisting of mostly misfires – and came away disappointed. My biggest pet peeve must be the dull and dark cinematography that plagues the entire film, giving it an ugly look. For some reason everything looks low lit even during the daylight. On the opposite end of things, the score is phenomenal, giving off 80’s John Carpenter vibes that complemented the tone perfectly. Unfortunately, what should have been a straightforward mystery thriller is instead a convoluted mess. Barrett borrows so heavily from 90’s horror tropes that if you told me this was some lost script by a young Kevin Williams, I’d believe you. When the multiple twists come into play in the finale act, everything really falls apart, with characters behaving in ways that make little sense, and the motive of the villains is absurd. I was not impressed, and I would suggest skipping out. (4/10)