The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 28

126. The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue (1974) Blu - While going after pests with a pesticide, farmers accidentally raise the living dead. Just picked up the Synapse steelbook. Pretty damn expensive, but was able to use some of my card points to get it. Seen this one a few times, but not in quite some time. It's pretty decent and engaging. The movie looks pretty good in this new set.

127. Land Of The Dead (2005) Blu - The living dead have taken over the world, and the last humans live in a walled city to protect themselves as they come to grips with the situation. I usually go to one of the films in the original trilogy, but decided to go a different direction this year. I don't think any of the movies made after the original trilogy live up to those early movies, but I do think this one is probably the best of the more modern films.

128. Dawn Of The Dead (2004) Blu - A nurse, a policeman, a young married couple, a salesman and other survivors of a worldwide plague that is producing aggressive, flesh-eating zombies, take refuge in a mega Midwestern shopping mall. I always liked this remake. It does change a few things up like slow vs. fast. Always a good watch as far as I'm concerned.

129. The Mist (2007) Blu - After an eerie mist rolls into a small town, the residents must battle the mysterious mist and its threats, fighting to maintain their morality and sanity. Only have seen this one once it was back in 2007. Time to re-watch it. I thought it was okay, but what a screwed up ending.

130. Train To Busan (2016) Blu - While a zombie virus breaks out in South Korea, passengers struggle to survive on the train from Seoul to Busan. I loved this movie. I had meant to check it out before and it fell off of my radar. After checking out reviews, I had to get it. I thought the story was good and the zombie action was batshit crazy. I guess the next one, Peninsula streets in November, but reviews overall are pretty lousy. Maybe I can get some input from someone here on that movie. This first one just kicked ass I thought.

~Rocker10

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Jason Goes to Hell (New Blu)

Unwatchable. I saw this on opening night in a theater back in the day and half the audience walked out. Less than 10 minutes of Jason doesn’t cut it. Still bad.

Rocker10, indrid13 and CPT HOOK like this.
  3. Dave

Dave Pimp

I have been mining this thread for some movies to check out. Late Phases was solid. Thanks.

indrid13, Colin and fattyjoe37 like this.
  4. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Last nights movie was 1989s The Freeway Maniac, a bizarro film to say the least. An actress making a b scifi movie is stalked by a relentless maniac, who, even though he spent his life institutionalised, can kill m eat a rattlesnake and drive an 18 wheeler. Gotta admit, everyone involved gave their all and the stuntwork was fantastic. Co scripted by Gahan Wilson with music by Robbie Kreiger!

Rocker10 and Kim Bruun like this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 27TH:

103.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 7 - 9 "The Two Faces, Part Two" & "The Romance Of Certain Old Clothes" & "The Beast In The Jungle" (NetFlix) - Mike Flanagan's limited series comes to an end. After six episodes of setting up the characters, episode 7 finally kicks the series into gear... only for the horrifically misguided episode 8 to derail everything again. Directed by the former Mrs. Neil Marshall (who is currently in hot water with his new girlfriend), Axelle Carolyn directs what should have been a 5 minute flashback that is instead dragged out into an entire episode. It brings the momentum of episode 7 to a screeching halt, then episode 9 has to work extra hard to bring it back up. This series was just too slow for my liking. Episodes 1, 7, and 9 are really good, but the rest gets to be a bit tedious at times. This could have made a terrific two-night miniseries in the '90s, but 9 hours of it is way too much. Until Flanagan's next haunted house series, this concludes The Haunting Of Bly Manor.

104.) A Babysitter's Guide To Monster Hunting (2020) (NetFlix) - NetFlix's other family friendly Halloween movie this year, the other being Hubie Halloween. This is definitely the lesser of the two. Directed by Rachel Talalay (Ghost In The Machine, Freddy's Dead, Tank Girl), this one is about a teen girl who gets roped into babysitting her mother's boss's son on Halloween night, only to have the son be abducted by monsters. Some annoying blonde girl shows up out of nowhere to help her save the boy. This one is definitely for young kids. Anything monster or horror related is incredibly tame and boring. It's a bad sign when I was more interested in the teen drama at their high school and the Halloween party than anything related to the monsters. Unless you're a six year old, definitely skip this one.

WEREWOLF.png

105.) Goosebumps: The Werewolf Of Fever Swamp (DVD) - William Fruet directed this two-parter episode, which was given its own disc. Grady Tucker and his family move into Fever Swamp, a remote area where a hermit roams the woods and there is strange howling at night. He starts to realize that said hermit may be a werewolf and his family is in danger. This is a really good little episode with great atmosphere and an exciting climax. They may have recycled the Saber costume from the Welcome To Camp Nightmare episode for the werewolf here. A young Brendan Fletcher (Freddy Vs Jason, the Ginger Snaps sequels) stars in this episode, and the hermit is played by Don Francks (My Bloody Valentine). Good stuff, but the series delivered an even better werewolf episode later in its run with Werewolf Skin.

I also watched this year's new 10-minute Ariescope Halloween Short Full Size. These are always fun, and this was no exception. If you've never seen these, there's over 20 years worth of annual Halloween shorts on Adam Green's website: http://ariescope.com/category/shorts/

OCTOBER 28TH:

FUN SIZE.png

106.) Fun Size (2012) (Blu-ray) - I had completely forgotten this movie existed until I came across it in my blu-ray collection. The movie was released in October 2012 and was a box-office flop, and I'm assuming Paramount / Nickelodeon assumed that Halloween was to blame because any and all mention of the holiday has been scrubbed from the blu-ray packaging, even though it plays a HUGE role in the movie. Not a horror movie at all, but the movie takes place over one chaotic Halloween night where four teens are tasked with tracking down a rambunctious sibling who ran off. Basically, the plot is the same as that Babysitter's Guide movie mentioned above, only there's no monsters, and this one is actually a lot of fun. It's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a brisk little movie running just over 80 mins, and it's brimming with Halloween charms. It doesn't always work, and some of the side characters aren't that interesting, but there's enough going on to where the movie is never boring. I even got a little choked up during one scene near the end. Harmless fun.

CRAFT.png

107.) The Craft: Legacy (2020) (VOD) - This movie is a huge bummer. One of the biggest complaints about the original movie is that you have a "feminist" movie where the girls all turn on each other, so this movie works actively to avoid that. However, in actively avoiding any sort of conflict whatsoever, they forget to give three of the four girls any sort of storyline. They're just kind of there in the background. Most of the movie is given to the main girl, whose plot involves her lusting after a boy (a horrific bully who she transforms into a woke feminist ala Skeet Ulrich's character in the original). For a movie that is supposed to be about the four women, it's disappointing to see it being so boy-obsessed. This does not pass the Bechdel test. Also, it's just plain boring. Skip this one and go back to Sony's '90s movies like Foxfire or the original The Craft.

COME PLAY.png

108.) Come Play (2020) (Virtual Screening + Q&A) - Focus Features offered a free online screening of this movie, which will be in theaters this Friday, October 30th. I appreciated the free screening, but I wouldn't say the movie impressed me much. It's about a lonely boy who unleashes a monster named Larry from a storybook app, and you can only see him using screens (iPads, cellphones, etc). If you've seen Lights Out, you've already seen this movie. The difference is this one expands more to all electronics and gadgets. The lead character in this movie (who also played the son in Marriage Story) doesn't speak, and the movie gets off to an extremely slow start, which doesn't make for the most engaging cinema. It starts to pick up a little bit around a half-hour in when three boys show up to his house for a sleepover, but still never goes anywhere new or interesting. We've seen all this before, and it's a good five years late to the party.

NOBODY SLEEPS.png

109.) Nobody Sleeps In The Woods Tonight (2020) (NetFlix) - This is a Polish summer camp slasher, where the teens are at this camp to detox from technology. They split into groups, with five of them going into the woods with their guide, only to run afoul of two gigantic deformed brothers who kill trespassers. Think of a cross between Victor Crowley and the twins from Just Before Dawn. This movie's not bad. It's about 15 minutes too long for this type of movie, and I didn't find the characters especially interesting, but it delivers well-enough as a slasher movie. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, but when it comes to slasher movies, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Good kills, fun atmosphere, etc. I wouldn't call it a home run, but this is a serviceable enough slasher film that helps tide the never ending wait for another Friday The 13th movie.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)
    49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest"
    50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost"
    51.) Night Terror (1989)
    52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
    53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
    54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster)
    55.) Welcome To The Blumhouse: Nocturne (2020)
    56.) Love And Monsters (2020)
    57.) Amusement (2008)
    58.) School Killer (2001)
    59.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy (includes: Night Of The Living Dummy II & Bride Of The Living Dummy)
    60.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 2 Episodes 4 - 7
    61.) Titicut Follies (1967)
    62.) Nancy Drew Episodes 15 & 16 "The Terror Of Horseshoe Bay" & "The Haunting Of Nancy Drew"
    63.) Lovecraft Country Episode 4 "A History Of Violence"
    64.) Grave Robbers (aka Ladrones De Tumbas) (1989)
    65.) Goosebumps: A Night In Terror Tower (also: Stay Out Of The Basement)
    66.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 3 Episodes 8 - 11
    67.) Nancy Drew Episodes 17 & 18 "The Girl In The Locket" & "The Clue In The Captain's Painting"
    68.) Lovecraft Country Episode 5 "Strange Case"
    69.) Spellcaster (1988)
    70.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 4 Episodes 12 - 15
    71.) Lovecraft Country Episode 6 "Meet Me In Daegu"
    72.) Pet Sematary II (1992)
    73.) The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975)
    74.) The Funhouse (1981)
    75.) Goosebumps: One Day At Horrorland (also: Welcome To Camp Nightmare)
    76.) They Live Inside Us (2020)
    77.) Rebecca (2020)
    78.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    79.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy III
    80.) Lovecraft Country Episode 7 "I Am."
    81.) The Witches (2020)
    82.) Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2 Episodes 1 - 3 "Washington Insider Murder" & "A Death In Oslo" & "Death Row Fugitive"
    83.) Bad Hair (2020)
    84.) The Dark (1993)
    85.) Lovecraft Country Episode 8 "Jig-a-Bobo"
    86.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 1 - 3 "The Great Good Place" & "The Pupil" & "The Two Faces, Part One"
    87.) Satan's Little Helper (2004)
    88.) Livid (2011)
    89.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 5 Episodes 16 - 19
    90.) Primal Rage (1988)
    91.) Night Of The Demons (2009)
    92.) Goosebumps: Welcome To Dead House
    93.) Lovecraft Country Episode 9 "Rewind 1921"
    94.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 4 - 6 "The Way It Came" & "The Altar Of The Dead" & "The Jolly Corner"
    95.) The Barn (2016)
    96.) Goosebumps: Attack Of The Jack-O'-Lanterns (also: Vampire Breath & Let's Get Invisible)
    97.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episodes 2 - 4 "The Blaze Of Gory" & "The Tyger And The Lamb" & "The Wrong End Of A Telescope"
    98.) Unsolved Mysteries Volume 2 Episodes 4 - 6 "Tsunami Spirits" & "Lady In The Lake" & "Stolen Kids"
    99.) House Of The Witch (2017)
    100.) Lightning Bug (2004)
    101.) Goosebumps: The Headless Ghost (also: Awesome Ants & Teacher's Pet)
    102.) Lovecraft Country Episode 10 "Full Circle"

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I decided to skip The Haunting of Hill House after I watched the first episode and suspected that it was heading in the direction you describe. Thanks for the summation, I feel confident in my choice now. I just really don't enjoy that style of storytelling. Maybe I don't have enough patience? But to me it seems like an unpleasant trick to play on your audience - drawing out the backstory while denying us the actual haunted house tale that we came to see in the first place. To me that's not suspenseful, it's just frustrating.

CPT HOOK and indrid13 like this.
  7. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 28th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

72) V/H/S: Although my enjoyment of this film has waned over the years, it’s still a fun watch. Bruckner’s “Amatuer Night” and Radio Silence’s “10/31/98” are shining examples of how to do anthology horror right, and Ti West’s “Second Honeymoon” is highly underrated, even if it overstays its welcome. “The Sick Thing that Happened to Emily” has a great twist, but I still can’t get over just how dumb the titular character is, and the cringe that is “Tuesday the 17th” is the one real chore to sit through, with annoying characters, terrible acting and dialogue, and confusing plot elements and motifs that drive me insane. I enjoy the film for what it is, ever after many viewings, but the quality of the segments is all over the place.

73) V/H/S/2: One of the best sequels and one of my favorites of the horror anthology genre, “V/H/S/2” is a rollercoaster ride of a film. Wingard’s “Phases I: Clinical Trails” is by far the weakest segment, with a lot of confounding and underdeveloped world building, but does offer some quality ghost action. Everything else here is a home run, from the gory, POV zombie action in “A Ride in the Park” to the other worldly invasion of “Slumber Party Alien Abduction”. And then there is Gareth Evan’s “Safe Haven” a totally bonkers death cult film that is a joy to watch every time. Even if you hated the original “V/H/S” I would still recommend this one, you’re really missing out if you haven’t seen it.

74) The Mortuary Collection: A mortician weaves morbid tales for a potential new hire at his funeral home. Probably one of the best horror anthologies I’ve seen in some time. “The Mortuary Collection” takes a lot of ques from Romero’s “Creepshow” and “Tales from the Crypt” to offer up a morbidly amusing good time. The first segment is very forgettable
    Home girl gets snapped in half by Cthulhu, who lives in inside a medicine cabinet.
    so I was initial worried I was in for a ho-hum film, but things quickly turn for the better. The production quality and special effects are easily some of the best I’ve seen from a Shudder exclusion, and the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. My only real beef here is the meta, self-awareness of the wrap arounds – the lead girl actually points how bare bones the first story is – which is a cop out in my book. But there is plenty of gory craziness to be had, and each story offers something unique and refreshing. (7/10)

75) Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight: A group of teens attending a “Electronics Rehabilitation” camp in the woods, find themselves stalked by a deranged killer. The silliness of the premise aside, and the film wearing its influences on its sleeve, “Nobody Sleeps…” is a competent, yet flawed, slasher film. It does a pretty good job modernizing 80’s slasher films for a contemporary audience, but it becomes obvious early on the rehab camp is plot convenience so the audience doesn’t have the “why aren’t they calling the police on their cellphone” question from crossing their minds. It starts out strong enough, with amazing direction and cinematography, practical effects and gore. The cast is good enough, but one too many characters are only interjected just to be unceremoniously killed off. But once the exposition dump comes during the midway point, the film quickly goes south, and becomes another dime a dozen slasher film. The origin story for the killer is quite stupid
    Turns out there are two killers, twin brother, who were horribly disfigured by a meteor that crashed near their home as children, making them ravenous, and forcing their mother to lock them up in the cellar.
    A few more quality kills are thrown in and – surprise! – it leaves the door open for a sequel. Far from the worst slasher out there, but it wasn’t anything new or special. (5/10)

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

WNUF Halloween Special (Shudder) - a "lost" 80s broadcast of a live haunted house investigation, where it turns out the house's reputation is for real. This has been praised a lot on this site for the authentic 80s feel. It's shot on video, and the broadcast includes commercials which do indeed look like the work of a small TV station back in the day. The problem is that when it's supposed to get serious, the acting and the effects are still stuck in parody mode. But it's not scary, and it's not funny. You gotta pick one, ya know? And it's neither. I think there was wasted potential here. If the actors suddenly became convincing (making us believe this was a publicity stunt broadcast gone horribly wrong) and the effects looked good, you'd have what looks to be an 80s snuff film. That could be damn scary. So it really misses the mark.

If you want this concept done right, look for the movie Special Bulletin (it's on DVD from Warner Archives). Granted, it was actually made in the 80s so re-creating that look wasn't such an accomplishment like it is in WNUF. But it's a faux news broadcast of domestic terrorists with a homemade atomic bomb, blackmailing the US government. When originally aired on TV, there had to be several warnings "this is only a dramatization", and there were still panicked viewers who thought it was real. Highly recommended, check it out.

With just three nights left in October, I'll be shifting to favorites I've already seen the rest of the month, to avoid any more let-downs. It's always good to branch out, find something new, I did that many times this month. But like I said, this is the part of the concert where we want to hear the hits, and that's what I'll be focusing on.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

20th - October Madness No.34

[​IMG]
    Gorgo (1961) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

UK's cash-in on the giant monster craze, Gorgo manages to mash-up the plots from both Godzilla and King Kong with pleasant results in a fun rubber monster epic. Lots of destruction of London abounds in this above-average flick that's somehow both cheap and impressive with its effects.

20th - October Madness No.35 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 20 - HINDSIGHT IS 20/20: This one's gotta have flashbacks in it (since looking ahead doesn't seem to be working, amiright?).

[​IMG]
    The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 (1984) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

Dog flashbacks! Yes! The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 sure isn't Wes Craven's best effort, especially considering he would go on to make A Nightmare on Elm Street immediately following this picture. It feels like a less than half-baked sequel to the original and is more in line with something like Friday the 13th (it kinda feels like Friday's hillbilly cousin), and if you watch it with that kinda frame of mind it's a little fun.

21st - October Madness No.36 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 21 - MURDER SHE ROACH: One about pesky varmints, pests or creepy crawlies.

[​IMG]
    Spiders (2000) - Rating: 3/5

A reporter for the local paper, who's obsessed with aliens and UFOS, gets the scoop of her life when she stumbles on a secret government experiment when a NASA spacecraft crash-lands on a secret military base where's she investigating her hunches and unleashes giant mutant spiders. Gary Jones (Mosquito) is the perfect choice to direct this big, extremely dumb, but extremely fun early 2000s creature feature. Chock full of great practical effects and goopey gore from KNB FX, as well as some stunt work from some of the folks involved with the late PM Entertainment, this DTV flick that most of us probably passed on in the video store is ripe for discovering.

21st - October Madness No.37 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 21 Part II - MURDER SHE ROACH: One about pesky varmints, pests or creepy crawlies.

[​IMG]
    Spiders II: Breeding Ground (2001) - Rating: 2/5

This time we have Cannon alumni Sam Firstenberg in the director's chair for this quick sequel that really only connects to the original by having giant killer spiders. This time around it's a scientist running experiments on human cargo on a boat in the middle of an ocean, and the few stranded passengers who must figure out what's going on and stop it before it's too late. While it does have some gooey practical effects again it also has a lot of bad CGI, and all the fun gets stuck in its web and it's a bit of a chore to get through.

21st - October Madness No.38 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 21 Part III - MURDER SHE ROACH: One about pesky varmints, pests or creepy crawlies.

[​IMG]
    Bug (1975) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

William Castle's final theatrical sideshow, Bug is a rather talky and slow slog through the scientific process of an entomologist and his new obsession with a fire-starting beetle that's erupted out of the earth and is causing chaos in the area. It has some '70s charm and Bradford Dillman is committed to his role, he's just not that interesting to watch stare at bugs for the majority of the runtime.

21st - October Madness No.39

[​IMG]
    Possessor (2020) - Rating: 3.5/5

Son of Cronenberg is really making a name for himself. I loved his first feature Antiviral and his newest Possessor continues to show he's walking in his own shoes while continuing on the family legacy of evolving body horror. While the overall story isn't something wholly originaly, that of puppeteered assassins, it does build it's own world and really involves the psyche of the characters in a deeply unsettling way. It's also puntuated with some incready graphic moments of extrememe violence that are quite shocking and definitely earns it's NC-17 (or Uncut as it's being touted as) status.

22nd - October Madness No.40 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 22 - MURKIN: Something underwater or ocean related. It sure is dark down there, what was that?

[​IMG]
    Monster (Humanoids from the Deep) (1980) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

Mutant salmon frog monsters created from genetic engineering rise from the ocean's depths and attack the denizens of a sleepy sea side village with the grim mission of mating with human women. An incredibly sleazy Roger Corman production cashing in on some of the Alien premise moved to the deep waters with an interesting production history, the added gore and sleaze actually elevates this one to grindhouse classic.

22nd - October Madness No.41 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 22 Part II - MURKIN: Something underwater or ocean related. It sure is dark down there, what was that?

[​IMG]
    Piranha (1978) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Joe Dante's Piranha is another fun Corman cash-in, this time going with a much smaller Jaws. It's definitely a little rough around the edges but really shows Dante always had a knack for merging satire with seriousness in a really genius way.

23rd - October Madness No.42 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 23 - A REST IN THE PIECE IS ANOTHER WAY OF SAYING DRAMATIC PAUSE: Morricone soundtracks only.

[​IMG]
    A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

One of Lucio Fulci's best films, this early giallo is a well thought out murder mystery that's filled with style, sly red herrings, and an absolutely amazing Ennio Morricone score.

23rd - October Madness No.43

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I Downloaded a Ghost (2002) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

This DTV/TV movie family film is an above-average Halloween-centred kids flick about a young high schooler (Ellen Page in her first feature role) who manages to download a ghost (Carlos Alazraqui, the voice of the Taco Bell dog), who happens to be a recently deceased local cabbie, and together they must track down the missing Burmese gold feline statue that led to the demise of the cabbie. FUN FACT: I was an extra in this movie and appear in a few of the school shot scenes (I'm on the far left in the background in the second picture). Worked two days on it back in the fall of 2001, and was originally shot under the working title of Ghost.com.

24th - October Madness No.44 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 24 - AT THE GIG: Something with live band scenes.

[​IMG]
    Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare (aka The Edge of Hell) (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

Canada's rock god Thor writes and stars in this incredibly cheesy low-budget slice of Canuxploitation. The Tritons venture out to a deserted farm house to record their new record but find out focusing on writing music is much more difficult when various succubi and mini-demons are stalking the grounds, let alone their love interests and dishes getting in the way. Terribly acted, plotted, and executed, this early feature from John Fasano is quite amateur on all levels and features a completely out of left-field revelation in the "climactic" finale that is icing on the cake.

24th - October Madness No.45 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 24 Part II - AT THE GIG: Something with live band scenes.

[​IMG]
    Black Roses (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

John Fasano's next feature Black Roses feels like a spiritual sequel to Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare. While there's no Thor, a few of the cast members return here in this tale of a heavy metal band touring the small town circuit and the concerned adults who think their music is Satantic and influencing the youth. Clearing a satire on the whole Tipper Gore music censoring fiasco, Black Roses is a huge step up in quality for Fasano and a lot of fun. The same practical effects team is back as a lot of the creatures bear resemblance to those in Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare and everything is turned up enough to make this heavy metal horror a blast.

24th - October Madness No.46

[​IMG]
    Making Monsters (2020) - Rating: 3/5

Allison and Chris are wanting to start a family but need to resort to very expensive fertility treatment that relies on Allison not be under any stress whatsoever. The problem for Chris, a YouTube celebrity who makes his living off of creating scare prank videos of which Allison is usually the crux of, is that means the end of his lucrative career. In order to help mend some of the stress on their relationship as a whole and reconnect, they are invited by an old friend who's just moved into a church they've bought and made into a home in the country for a weekend get away. When they arrive at the church, which is complete with cemetery in the backyard with moved headstones, they are in for much more than just a prank as the real life scares being to mount. ANOTHER FUN FACT: Making Monsters was filmed in my girlfriend's childhood home she grew up in! One of the film's team (the actor who plays David and who also co-produced the film and provided the special effects) bought the house from my girlfriend's mom, and it's quite genuinely a perfect place to shoot a horror movie. My girlfriend even said that a lot of the furniture and everything that they had in the house is still intact there and seen in the film too - not much was changed from when they sold it. And a lot of the spooky stories they tell in the movie about the house and the cemetery are actually true - that's not made up for the film! Overall, aside from that connection, it's actually quite a good new little indie horror film. The story takes some twists and turns that are quite smart, the acting is great, and all the elements are well thought out. There's some grim moments, some good gore, even a sparingly used supernatural element that's not overdone, and a couple fun homages to the likes of The House by the Cemetery and The Prowler that horror hounds will pick up on! Recommended! Check out the trailer here.

25th - October Madness No.47 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 25 - HEY BABY, CAN YOU DANCE TO IT?: This one has to have at least one substantial dancing scene in it.

[​IMG]
    Murder-Rock: Dancing Death (1984) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

It's Flashdance/Fame meets giallo in this mid-'80s outing from Fulci. Someone is killing off the top students in a New York dance troupe with a hat pin, and it's a whodunit to find out the culprit. Far lighter on the brutality that's evidenced in other Fulci outings from this time period, Murder-Rock is a bit of a muddled thriller that unfortunately looses it's step throughout but does feature some amazing cinematography.

25th - October Madness No.48 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 25 Part II - HEY BABY, CAN YOU DANCE TO IT?: This one has to have at least one substantial dancing scene in it.

[​IMG]
    Hard Rock Zombies (1984) Rewatch - Rating: 2/5

One of the classic so-bad-it's-good flicks, I've you've never experienced Hard Rock Zombies then you need to ASAP! An absolutely mess of a movie, this tale of a hard rock band who plays nothing but soft rock who are run out of town - much like the theme of Black Roses - but then get to play for not-dead Hitler and are zapped to death only to return as zombies and finish recording their new hit must be seen to be believed. Nothing in this movie makes sense; from Hitler and his nazi mini-minions, to the incredibly creepy pedophilic love story (which results in the hit song Cassie being sung three times throughout), to the zombie dancer randomly performing some form of ballet interspersed like some odd art film cut-away, Hard Rock Zombies is unlike any other rock 'n' roll horror film. It's bad. Real bad. But good bad.

26th - October Madness No.49 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 26 - DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS: What to get? Watch one set deep in the heart of Texas.

[​IMG]
    Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

The Master is waiting! Mano: The Hands of Fate is another bad movie classic and everyone knows it's fame and has likely seen the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version. This is my first viewing of the non-MST3K original, from the Syanpse release, and the new restoration looks AMAZING! I had a blast revisiting this, and despite it's pure, unadulterated faults it's kinda hypnotic and I really enjoyed it as a whole sans-riffing.

27th - October Madness No.50 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 27 - ALKEBULAN: Watch something from the second largest continent.

[​IMG]
    Blood Tokoloshe (aka Ghetto Goblin) (2013) - Rating: 3/5

A man makes a deal with the local village shaman for money and women, but the deal comes with a price if he gets too greedy as the blood overflows and unleashes a tokoloshe (a demon) that starts attacking and killing various women around the village. This South African horror flick is pretty low budget, but as a very regional and area-specific horror outing it's quite a refreshing glimpse at the local customs and showcases the ability that horror and backyard filmmaking is universal.

27th - October Madness No.51

[​IMG]
    Hocus Pocus (1993) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

This Disney produced Halloween staple is always a good time and just oozes that Hollywood ideal of this time of year. Colourful, energetic, and just plain fun it's no wonder why Hocus Pocus is in the annual Halloween rotation for many. And until this viewing, I never realized Mick Garris was involved, and co-wrote it! So chock that up to two good flicks Garris has been involved with (the other being Critters 2)!

28th - October Madness No.52 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 28 - OREGON TRAIL: A road tripper where people get picked off one by one. Kind of like this challenge, eh?

[​IMG]
    The Hitcher II: I've Been Waiting (2002) - Rating: 2.5/5

Wow! This way-late sequel is batshit crazy! C. Thomas Howell returns in his role, now a cop who's been let go from the force after using excessive force so he and his girlfriend (Kari Wuhrer) take a roadtrip to Texas (really Drumheller, Alberta, Canada) to meet up with the old cop who believed Howell's ordeal from the original film. Only before they can even get father than the first few miles of the road trip they meet the new Hitcher (Jake Busey) who's out to kill all he comes in contact with and make life hell for Howell and Wuhrer. Terribly constructed form the get-go, The Hitcher II immediately goes off the rails and is all the better for it. Is it good? No. Is it a worthy sequel? Hell no. Is it entertaining? Yes, yes it is indeed.

28th - October Madness No.53

[​IMG]
    The Craft: Legacy (2020) - Rating: 2.5/5

This sequel/soft reboot of The Craft is actually pretty good, and generally works better than the original film, but only for the first half of the movie. As soon as a pivotal event happens half way through, The Craft: Legacy ruins any chance it had of being a good movie and very sloppily devolves into a mess with a very goofy climax. I was actually really enjoying it until that point, and though as a teen movie it really was hitting the marks for what today needs, and what a Craft update could have been. Unfortunately the twist and sloppy revelations completely hinder that.

10. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 28. OREGON TRAIL: A road tripper where people get picked off one by one. Kind of like this challenge, eh?

Movie#55:
    Hush (2008) (DVD)

Hush is like a low budget British mash up of Duel, Breakdown, Road Games and Joyride. There's a few genuinely tense moments and a couple nice bits that play out not as you'd expect. Hush does a good job of giving you minimal amount of info on what's going on. Leaving a lot of the bad guy's motive up to your imagination.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #43:
    Frailty (2001)
    Rewatch (Lionsgate DVD)
    ****1/2 (out of 5)
    26. DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS: What to get? Watch one set, , deep in the heart of Texas.

Fuck I miss Bill Paxton.

[​IMG]
    Movie #44:
    Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
    Rewatch (Criterion's Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films Blu-ray)
    *** (out of 5) - I gave the original Japanese version ****1/2

I watched 62 kaiju films at the start of the year including all of the Godzillas, Gameras, and random Toho monster mashes. For 95% of them I watched them in their original Japanese with English subtitles. I think the reason I never got into the subgenre as a kid is because I'm just not a big fan of dubs, the emotion of the characters hardly ever comes through and unintentional comedy is increased by the picture and audio going out of sync. So in rewatching this American re-edit of the original 1954 Godzilla, I was surprised by how well the changes work. Raymond Burr's scenes fit well into the existing footage and the dubbing of the Japanese actors is of a higher quality than I expected. The film does lose nearly all subtext and character shading, but for a giant monster romp it gets the job done. It will be especially helpful when I want to share the film with my boys while they're still too young to read subtitles.

[​IMG]
    Movie #45:
    Godzilla 1985 (1985)
    Rewatch (Anchor Bay VHS)
    **1/2 (out of 5) - I gave the original Japanese version ***

1984's The Return of Godzilla didn't make much of an impression on me when I was doing my Kaiju Virgin project. It was an OK reboot, but the Heisei Era of the series got much more interesting as it went along. This American re-edit from New World Pictures adds Raymond Burr into the mix, reprising his role from the Americanized original Godzilla. But where I found the first recut integrated Burr well, here he just stands around a control room reacting to groaner one-liners and Dr. Pepper worship. The scenes featuring Japanese characters don't shy away from showing obvious dubbing and while I eventually got used to it, nearly 20 minutes of footage being removed made them much less compelling than they were originally.

[​IMG]
    Movie #46:
    Dust Devil (1992)
    First Time Viewing (Final Cut on the Subversive Cinema DVD)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    27. ALKEBULAN: Watch something from the second largest continent.

An abandoned movie theater filled with sand is a potent image as we stand at the precipice of the theatrical film industry imploding.

[​IMG]
    Movie #47:
    Race with the Devil (1975)
    Rewatch (Shout! Factory DVD)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    28. OREGON TRAIL: A road tripper where people get picked off one by one. Kind of like this challenge, eh?

What our heroes don't realize is that they aren't being chased by Satanists, but rather volunteers trying to reclaim the books stolen from the library.

Gore Lunatic, CPT HOOK, Colin and 7 others like this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/27/20

PHENOMENA (1985)

[​IMG]

Daughter of a famous movie star, Jennifer Corvino (Jennifer Connelly) is the latest arrival at a boarding school for girls in Switzerland after placement by chaperone Frau Brückner (Daria Nicolodi). The new student fails to fit in with the others due to her strange bond with insects and knack for sleepwalking. Extra dangerous considering there is a serial killer targeting young ladies in the vicinity of the school. Jennifer gets to know Scottish entomologist John MacGregor (Donald Pleasance) and his loyal chimpanzee assistant. MacGregor's forensic knowledge assists police investigations and before you know it, Jennifer gets personally involved as the body count rises.

Phenomena is a memorable film from director Dario Argento, though it may be a bit much for some tastes. Fair to call this one a crossover of the giallo and supernatural material. Beyond the mystery killer and stylish set pieces you have: a telepathic sleepwalker, apocalyptic swarms of insects, helpful maggots, clairvoyant foreshadowing, breathtaking scenery of the Swiss Alps, the music of Iron Maiden and Motörhead, and plenty more. It comes as little surprise that lead actress Connelly despises this film. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see all that she had to suffer through. Her scenes with Donald Pleasance not only help the story, but also gives her misfit character a sympathetic friend. My favorite moment? That would be when
    Inga the chimpanzee avenges the death of MacGregor with a straight razor

Revisited this with the Arrow release from 2017 which includes 3 cuts of the film in addition to all kinds of limited edition goodies and packaging.

13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Weird, unlike you I really liked the first one and thought it a better example of the anthology genre (particularly "modern" anthologies). And I almost consider the second to be purgeable in how far it fell from the bar its predecessor set.

I may need to revisit both, as it’s been a while.

CPT HOOK and indrid13 like this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

A few years ago I was dating a girl much much much younger than me. The best part (other than the fact that she was much much much younger than me) was showing her some of my older off-the-beaten path movies, and Phenomena was one of the ones I introduced her to. She was a metal fan and went crazy when they actually had Iron Maiden playing during a murder scene. She also loved the part you spoiler tagged.

(other movie-related highlights with that girl: Showing Police Story, and her realizing that Jackie Chan literally was hanging from that bus in the beginning. And we went to see a screening of Sorcerer, and right before the classic bridge scene she whispers "I don't think I can take this kind of tension!". Knowing what the next scene was, I told her "Yeah, you might want to leave right now then".)

hots4, Rocker10, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  15. KGBRadioMoskow

Good call out. Made in an era where TV wasn't as afraid to pull an Orson Welles moment, or offend/freak people out. This is one of the better examples of such, although it doesn't quite reach Threads or The Day After level.

(and is it just me, but does it seem that back when everyone thought it was inevitable that the entire world was going to get blown to hell we were more relaxed about exposure to tragedy topics, but when things changed to the big fear being some building blowing up everyone started losing their shit at the merest hint?)

indrid13 likes this.
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm not entirely sure that actual nuclear conflict would be as devastating as Threads. Damn that's a harsh movie!

indrid13 likes this.
  17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I gotta check out Bulletin now.

I pranked my Halloween party with WNUF and it proved surprisingly effective.

It's easy to dismiss something you know from the start is fake, but take your average Joe and tell 'em it's real and it's surprising how people can overlook minor to major details... *cough* Sorry, bit of that going around... *cough*

Even something as low budget as Dean Alioto's UFO Abduction made the rounds as genuine. I don't want to oversell WNUF but if it catches you at the right time it's pretty fun. I think the less you know the better though.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

36. Friday the 13th Part 3 (3D) (Steve Miner, 1982)

[​IMG]

Carrying on with the series, it was great to finally see it in BD3D. People have talked a lot about the depth that the new transfer has, and it's true. The image really seems to stretch way back into the distance, which is a great effect. Although I thought there were some pretty effective scenes of things coming out of the screen.

Not quite as good as the first 2, but I still really enjoy this entry.

37. Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter (Joseph Zito, 1984)

[​IMG]

This entry feels like the definitive Friday film to me. It's got one of the best casts, a ton of kills, the iconic mask, a brutal, animalistic Jason, and treats the story completely seriously, despite having some of the funniest moments in the series (Teddy Bear waving "Hey" with his hand sticking out of his fly always makes me laugh). It's a really great movie. This was always my favorite as a kid, and probably the one I've seen the most. This was my first time watching it in HD.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  19. KGBRadioMoskow

Nothing special this time. Ratings are out of ****.

10/25/20 - Satan's Slave (1980) **
    A family matriarch rises from the grave to terrorize and corrupt her family, with assistance from a sinister new housekeeper.

The primary merit here is the cultural curiosity, an Indonesian view on Satanic influenced haunting. But it is very tame and restrained by western standards for horror, and nearly shackled by a heavy handed religious dogma moral.
    [​IMG]
    There are numerous gaffs, ranging from well-intended but inept to laughably wrong. Like the supposedly heterosexual teenage girl having a prominent poster of a topless woman with a G-string on her wall. Or the groundskeeper found hanging dead in the work shed, yet the paramedics retrieve his body from the main house. The hilariously bad motorcycle accident stunt. The use of horror magazines and Universal Monster mask knock-offs as the "Satanic artifacts" of a black magic shrine. And the evil spirit pursuits best described as "ghost mosies". Stalks in Giallo films were supersonic in comparison.

Credit is deserved for some eerie vibe scenes of family members noticing something suggestive or unnerving in otherwise ordinary circumstances, a pale but notable stylistic similarity to films like Phantasm (to which the film directly apes in some event sequences). And the effects are strictly no-budget but often admirably creative and ambitious. But overall this is more a notable historical marker in the progression of international horror cinema than something actually worth watching.

10/26/20 - The Mountain of the Cannibal God (1978) **
    A clandestine rescue expedition to a forbidden jungle island learns to their horror what happened to a lost explorer.

Cannibal films are a niche known for check the box obligatory shocks targeting peculiarities that were questionable even in the 70s and have not aged well since. I never really got the genre even back then. Less for the ridiculously exaggerated attempts to go over the top, but for the force fitting of obligatory disgusting scenes only because "that's what the audience expects". I'll objectively watch the extremely crass, offensive, and ghastly. But I expect those aspects to support the narrative, not be their own purpose. And certainly not just be tossed haphazardly onto the screen as a misguided pander to nausea fetishists that were likely more numerous in movie producers' minds than in actual theater seats.
    [​IMG]
    This film is hailed as one of the notables of the genre, which is why I gave it a spin. And it has its distinctions. Primarily in the main stars - an aging but still in fine form Ursula Andress, and a roughly same age but looking younger Stacy Keach. And the scenery is enthralling as well, the jungle and river shots invoke both scenic beauty and a sense of unknown. For gore hounds some of the kills are gleefully grisly, particularly the elaborate snare trap and an abrupt beheading. There is also the creepy cavern enclosed bone yard, the grisly Geiger-counter corpse god, and the twisted cannibal midget braining.

But there are the misguided staples - the repulsive and mostly pointless animal cruelty (I noted the demises/mistreatment of a tarantula, a monitor lizard, a crab, a likely drugged boa, and numerous vine snakes). The late film weirding out sequence of perverted/bestial sex scenes. Completely disregarding their subjective offensiveness, the film would quite simply have been more tense and coherent without them.

There isn't much plot, not that anyone going into these types of films would expect much, and there is a lot of dull padding of it early in the film. Whether the rest justifies the viewing depends greatly on one's curiosity for the genre and this films place in its history, a curiosity quickly satisfied for most. As an engaging story it falls flat, as push the boundaries of offensive film making it has been greatly surpassed since.

10/27/20 - Doctor Sleep (2019) ***
    A roving band of psychic ghouls prey on those with the shining. When they set their sights on an extraordinary young girl, reclusive drunkard Dan Torrance rallies to oppose them.

More a psychic showdown than a scare fest, with just about everyone other than the main three frequent and shocking casualties to the struggle. The proceedings are overly long, but never boring.

The conflicting Kubrick and King storylines are adeptly meshed and (along with the acting) are the most masterful accomplishments. Particularly in handling the role of Hallorann as a mentor, someone who was a throw-away casualty for the Kubrick film and a critical survivor for King. One side could have simply been discarded, or there could have been a groan worthy "dead jedi" approach, but a more cynically effective path was weaved.

But the homage fixation is just too strong to ignore. It’s well done and avoids being a flat retread but still feels a bit hollow. The return to The Overlook especially hits the contrived note - it’s an engaging sequence handled with skill and tension, but the fact it happens at all just smacks of nostalgia slinging. That the ending is a near clone of King's original tale (and thus pulling Kubrick's story into the original fold) was simultaneously satisfying and eye rolling.

What keeps things afloat is skillful camera work and strong acting. Ewan McGregor conveys redeemed washout without steeping in righteousness or pity, determination without what would be an uncharacteristic heroism. The perfect balance for a character the viewer should like and identify with, yet demand a higher purpose of. While Rebecca Ferguson makes combining absolutely alluring and contemptibly sinister look effortless.

While this will never measure up to Kubrick's original, and frankly neither telling of the Torrance tale needed a revisiting, this is still a worthy watch.

20. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 29

131. Cannibal Apocalypse (1980) Blu -With the passing of John Saxon this year, I haven't taken enough in with him in it so I started today with this one. This also starred Giovanni Lombardo Radice who was the other Bob in the Gates of Hell trilogy, specifically City of the Living Dead.

132. The House Of The Devil (2009) Prime - Saw this one mentioned earlier in the thread. I really like The Innkeepers and didn't realize this was the same director. I liked this one, but probably still like The Innkeepers a little better. Good performances and an Interesting story.

133. 28 Days Later (2002) Blu - Been ages since I last saw this one. First thing that struck me was how bad it looked on blu. I guess it was shot on DV which doesn't lend itself to be the best it can or fixable at this stage in the game. It's a pretty dang good movie. There were a couple of parts shot on film like the ending which looked quite good. Just lots of detail loss throughout.

134. Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982) Blu - I always get this one in. The oddball of the franchise. It's actually quite good and probably would be looked on much better as a non franchise movie.

135. One Missed Call (2003) Blu - More J-Horror in the marathon. Interesting premise with this movie. Getting a call from the future linked to your own death. I came out of this one understanding about 80% of what was going on. May have to re-visit soon to try to clear it up. Did like this one.

136. Xtro II:The Second Encounter (1990) YouTube - I wanted to check out Xtro III from Vinegar Syndrome but wanted to know what I was getting into as I haven't seen it. The first movie is classic but very odd. I figured I needed to fit this one in between and I could only find a shitty copy on YouTube. Such a bad movie. An obvious cheap Alien ripoff, maybe even Aliens. I can say I've seen it, but will probably not waste my time re-watching.

~Rocker10