The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 23rd
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

52) Fright Night (1985)

53) Idle Hands :evil:

54) Deadalive

[​IMG]

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of this screenshot.

3. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

October 2nd

02. Night Gallery: Little Black Bag

October 3rd

03. Night Gallery: Finnegan's Flight

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

October 7th

07. Night Gallery: Class of '99

October 8th

08. Night Gallery: The Return of the Sorcerer

October 9th

09. Night Gallery: Aunt Ada

October 10th

10. Night Gallery: A Question of Fear

October 11th

11. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

October 12th

12. The Shining (1980)

October 13th

13. The Fog (1980)

October 14th

14. Christine (1983)

October 15th

15. They Live (1988)

October 16th

16. The Thing (1982)

October 17th

17. Prince of Darkness (1987)

October 18th

18. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

October 19th

19. The Mummy's Hand (1940)
    20. The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    21. The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
    22. The Mummy's Curse (1944)

October 20th Happy Birthday Bela Lugosi! :evil:

23. Dracula (1931)
    24. White Zombie (1932)
    25. The Black Cat (1934)
    26. The Raven (1935)
    27. Son of Frankenstein (1939)

October 21st

28. The Seventh Victim (1943)

October 22nd

29. The Mask of Satan (1960)

October 23rd

30. The City of the Dead (1960)

4. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 23rd:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

46. Revenge of Frankenstein
    47. Demons 4: The Sect

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

46.) Jug Face (2013) 3.5 / 5 (blu-ray)
    This was a unique little indie. It was a little confusing at first, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Good acting, nice atmosphere. I really like the movies from Glass Eye Pix, they might not all be winners but they definitely produce some of the most unique genre films being made today. You can't say it's not original.

[​IMG]

47.) Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988) 5 / 5 (DVD)
    I skipped Halloween II this October because I've watched the Scream Factory blu-ray twice in the past year. Plus, Halloween 4 is my favorite of the sequels anyway, so I couldn't wait to get to it. My only gripe is I think Loomis bogs down the film. They should have left him after part II (though kudos to Donald Pleasence for his commitment to the series).

48.) Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989) 4.5 / 5 (DVD)
    This one is kind of a mess, but I can't say it isn't entertaining. It reaches levels of so bad it's good, but at the same time it does have several genuinely fantastic set-pieces. The entire Tower Farm sequence is fantastic. And I love Tina, I think she's delightful. A guilty pleasure for sure. The weak link here is once again Loomis, whose character becomes a complete psychopath.

49.) The Haunting (1963) 3.5 / 5 (TV)
    This is a really good haunted house movie, probably even one of the better ones, but I just wasn't feeling it this time around. I think I'm just burned out on ghost movies, considering all the lame ones being released these days. The only ones I can really tolerate anymore are the fun cheesefests like Twice Dead, and that's something The Haunting is not.

50.) Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers (1995) 3 / 5 (blu-ray)
    Pretty awful sequel. It's fairly easy to watch, but it is really bad. They should have centered the entire film around the Myers house, because all of that stuff is great fun, but the rest is just a bloated convoluted mess. But I think it's one of those movies that since it is part of the franchise, you sort of condition yourself to like it.

[​IMG]

51.) Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998) 5 / 5 (VHS)
    I love this sequel. Even though I prefer 4, I probably watch this one more frequently. As with Friday The 13th Part 2 and 3, Steve Miner proves he's the king of the "final girl" chase, as the final third of this movie is basically one long chase scene. And I'm a sucker for a good chase scene.

Previous movies:
    1.) Return To Sleepaway Camp (2008)
    2.) The Burning (1981)
    3.) Dead Before Dawn (2012)
    4.) Jack Ketchum's The Lost (2006)
    5.) Hallows' Eve (2013)
    6.) Helter Skelter (1976)
    7.) Arachnophobia (1990)
    8.) 100 Bloody Acres (2012)
    9.) Scarecrow (2013)
    10.) Wither (2012)
    11.) My Babysitter's A Vampire (2010)
    12.) Phantasm II (1988)
    13.) Sorority House Massacre (1986)
    14.) Sorority House Massacre II (1990)
    15.) Return Of The Living Dead III (1993)
    16.) Curse Of Chucky (2013)
    17.) Static (2012)
    18.) Nothing Left To Fear (2013)
    19.) Strangeland (1998)
    20.) The Return Of The Living Dead (1985)
    21.) The Absent (2011)
    22.) Silver Bullet (1985)
    23.) Night Of The Demons (1988)
    24.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    25.) Pet Sematary II (1992)
    26.) Eyes Of Laura Mars (1978)
    27.) House Of Fears (2007)
    28.) The Fly (1986)
    29.) The Fear: Halloween Night (1999)
    30.) Halloween Night (2006)
    31.) Shiver (2012)
    32.) Amusement (2008)
    33.) Retribution (1987)
    34.) Toy Story Of Terror (2013)
    35.) Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway (1993)
    36.) Lady In White (1988)
    37.) Boo (2005)
    38.) Killer Eye: Halloween Haunt (2011)
    39.) Headless Horseman (2007)
    40.) The Hollow (2004)
    41.) The Craft (1996)
    42.) The Evil Dead (1981)
    43.) The Blob (1958)
    44.) Halloween (1978)
    45.) The House Of The Devil (2009)

7. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10/9

6. All The Colors Of The Dark* 4/5--Interesting riff on the giallo formula from Sergio Martino. Genre fave Edwige Fenech fights for her sanity in the face of terrifying nightmares and daytime hallucinations. But is it all in her mind? Trippy film occasionally gives in to self-indulgent pyschedelic editing cutesiness. Disorienting at first. But comes together better than I expected. Trippy chase theme is reminiscent of part of the Scream And Scream again score.

10/10

7. Popcorn 3/5--Wildly uneven film is a real mixed bag. The pluses include appealing lead Jill Schoelen, better than typical supporting performances, awesome faux "B" movie footage, and the fantastic theater setting. But the plot is much more complicated than it needs to be--which results in too many uncompelling detours. Starts much better than it ends too, with a particularly weak final act marred by way too much manic grandstanding by the villain. Wayne Toth's makeup is outstanding. But director Mark Herrier forgot that less is sometimes more, which makes the final 20 minutes goofy and tiresome. The decision to make his killer a Krueger-like comedian is as ill-advised as Dee Wallace Stone's super-butch haircut. Still lots of enjoyable moments--especially from Diamonds Are Forever's Bruce Glover. Hopefully a better DVD release is in the cards.

8. Masters Of Horror - Dreams In The Witch House 3/5--Another trip down Lovecraft Lane from director Stuart Gordon. This early Masters Of Horror episode is better than I remembered. Overly playful score initially sets the wrong tone. But it settles down and builds to a strong, uncompromising conclusion. Ezra Godden again does his Jeffrey Combs schtick. As usual, he doesn't project the sly, scene-stealing charisma that make Combs such a fantastic genre performer. But Godden is a solid, sympathetic anchor. Enjoyable.

10/11

9. The Rocky Horror Picture Show 3/5--I watch this once a year because my wife is a big fan. I still find a lot of it distancing. But most of the music has the same guilty pleasure appeal as Meatloaf's solo material--and it sounds better than ever on the exemplary Blu-ray release. Held my interest longer than usual this time. And it's always good to see Charles Gray. I still think it really unravels after Rocky and Janet are discovered in Rocky's tank. The remainder is an anti-climactic, long, slow slog.

10. The Hunger 2/5--Pretentious art house trash shows contempt for its subject matter, even eschewing the use of the word "vampire," presumably because it's so vulgar and common. But it doesn't end there. Every shot seems to scream out "Look Mom, I went to film school." And it's edited like a music video. Sexy vampire tripe is never my cup of tea. But when it's presented in such a snobbish, highbrow, faux-intellectual manner it really puts me off. Climax features some nice, dream-like imagery. But final coda doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And the only remotely scary aspect of the whole film is the rapid decline of Susan Sarandon. Only 8 years after Rocky Horror she's nowhere near as attractive. Squanders some compelling ideas. Blink and you'll miss Willem Dafoe in a bit as a thug outside a phone booth.

10/12

11. Mark Of The Vampire 3/5--Maybe I was totally in the wrong mood for this one. But as usual it just didn't connect with me. Really hampered by too much camp and too little Lugosi. Lionel Barrymore gives a performance that's almost as ridiculous as Anthony Hopkins's contribution to Coppola's travesty. Set design and some of the vampire scenes are outstanding. But the mood is off--which telegraphs the climactic surprise. Essentially a remake of Chaney's lost film London After Midnight, also directed by Tod Browning. Just too spoofy for my liking.

12. The Toolbox Murders (2004) 3/5--Mean-spirited, old school slasher flick is a whole lot of throwback fun. First half is routine and predictable, with almost every character serving a totally opaque plotting purpose--right down to exposition guy who always pops up at just the right time. But stick with it. Sheer nuttiness ensues once Nell crosses over into the villain's lair. Sure it's stupid. No one ever noticed that every floor is missing the 4th apartment? Hell, the hidden area seems bigger than the rest of the building. But these films either work or they don't. This one does. Tiny Angela Bettis makes a vulnerable, sympathetic heroine. I even liked the giggling, disfigured killer. He injects some classic horror feel into the slasher genre.

10/13

13. The Prowler 4/5--Tom Savini's exemplary effects give a mean edge to this satisfying slasher. His work here legitimately rivals his Day Of The Dead gore. Well paced except for an interminably long, uneventful exploration of an empty house after the final girl's first meeting with the killer. It's an odd lapse in an otherwise snappy affair. Buoyed by many familiar genre faces. And lead Vicky Dawson is a dead ringer for Amy Steele. Sad to see Lawrence Tierney in such a small, insignificant role. Identity of the killer isn't very well handled. His over-acting feels like the equivalent of winking at the camera. Still a lot of fun.

14. Vampire (1979)* 4/5--Rarely seen TV film is solid entertainment, with an overqualified cast giving committed performances. Richard Lynch looks like a disco-era Fabio. But he wisely avoids stereotypical, flamboyant vampire antics. He's a nasty, dangerous antagonist. Fun to see Jason Miller in another genre outing. And E.G. Marshall makes a memorable Van Helsing type. Grounded and not over-reliant on special effects.

15. Dracula (1979) 4/5--Lavishly mounted take is seriously underrated. Dispenses with the traditional Transylvania opening, which immediately gives it a unique feel. Big budget is apparent, with John Williams's awesome score, an "A" list cast, and the fantastic set design really standing out from the pack. Very well paced--with an exciting final chase that ends the film on a high note. Definitely strays too far into sexy vampire territory. But it wisely avoids the eternal love nonsense that derails Coppola's over-praised version. Scene in the tunnels below Mina's grave is a real standout. It's one of the more chilling vampire scenes ever staged. Langella's rich voice serves the character very well too. He projects some of Lugosi's otherworldly theatricality without directly aping his performance. If his Dracula was more threatening I'd give this 5 stars.

16. Thriller - The Grim Reaper 4/5--Cheeky performances by young William Shatner and Natalie Schafer make this Thriller episode one of the best. Mystery author Schafer's newly purchased grim reaper portrait has a colorful history--and it's not resting on its laurels. Jerry Goldsmith's eerie score and some nifty lighting create an ominous atmosphere. A great climax seals the deal.

10/14

17. Patrick Still Lives* 4/5--Commendably nutty Italian sequel to RIchard Franklin's subdued original is a delight for fans of Euro trash horror. A seemingly unconnected, bickering band of strangers is assembled at a strange medical clinic resort. Too bad their stay is seriously lacking in terms of rest and relaxation. Features a bevy of smoking hot, curvy Italian babes who spend half of their screen time topless or nude. And filled with some extremely creative deaths--particularly a shockingly graphic vaginal impalement featuring the slowest-moving levitating spear in the history of cinema. If that sounds like your cup of tea you'll undoubtedly enjoy this one.

18. The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave 4/5--Under-praised hybrid of giallo and gothic horror elements hangs together very well. Wealthy aristocrat Anthony Steffen has some SERIOUS hang-ups after the death of his philandering red-headed wife. Soon he has good reason to wonder if she's even dead. Generous dollops of sleaze enliven the early part of the film, with lots of nubile red-headed babes cheerfully doffing their duds. Second half focuses on some seriously strange goings-on at Steffen's estate. Morally ambiguous "hero" is an interesting touch. And just when you think it's going the predictable route with a climactic "surprise" that's anything but, it comes up with a few more wrinkles.

19. The Beyond 3/5--Every time I see a Fulci film I'm reminded of Spinal Tap. More than anyone else he seems hellbent on amping everything up to eleven. The "story" here serves as nothing but connective tissue for an endless string of completely nonsensical events--almost like a greatest hits montage of deaths. Fabio Frizzi's ever-present cheesy score walks in Goblin's footsteps--but totally misses the feeling of menace that's present in their best work. Like everything else here, the music adds to the feeling of overkill. Undeniably well shot, with some unique death scenes--which makes it fun despite the lack of a compelling narrative. This is the perfect Halloween party film to watch while you're playing music.

10/15

20. The Fog (1980) 4/5--Carpenter's fun follow-up to Halloween has great atmosphere but no scares despite the re-shoots. Still easy to recommend for the strong genre cast, lots of in-jokes for Halloween fans, and scenic locations. Carpenter's score and Dean Cundey's visuals again mesh perfectly.

10/16

21. Dracula's Daughter* 2/5--Ill-conceived snoozefest is more of a drawing room mystery than a horror film. Features an atmospheric early cremation scene, then a whole lot of dull bantering. One exception is an exceptionally racy (for the time) lesbian vampire attack. But it's one of the few horrific moments in the film. Skip this one unless you're a Universal completist.

22. The Night Stalker 5/5--The best of an exceptional crop of 70s TV horrors--and the best vampire flick set in the modern period. Richard Matheson's script is full of well-drawn characters and realistic situations. And Darren McGavin is unforgettable in his first appearance as Carl Kolchak. Emotionally resonant and grimly serious--with a brave, gut-wrenching ending. John Llewellyn Moxey's use of humor instead of comedy makes all the difference. Once Dan Curtis took over the characters became mugging caricatures. Likely an inspiration for Peter Benchley when he wrote Jaws. His novel includes very similar self-interested civic leader characters and plot lines.

10/17

23. Scary Movie* 2/5--Mostly uninspired dissection of the first two Scream films and I Know What You Did Last Summer. Buries a few sporadic big laughs among a lot of recycled obvious or unfunny gags. Hard to believe such an uninspired effort led to so many sequels.

24.Re-Animator 5/5--Stuart Gordon's classic gets a big upgrade with Capelight's exemplary hi-def restoration. The expanded Integral cut (which integrates all of the extra material from the R-rated cut into the unrated version) is a fascinating companion piece. But it's a lesser film in every way. The talkiness of the first act really disrupts the hurtling momentum of Gordon's preferred unrated cut. And all of the extra character development scenes expose some limitations in Crampton and Abbott's performances. I forgot just how much extra material there is. This isn't just the unrated cut with a few excised scenes reinstated. Many scenes go on for a few extra beats. Features lots of alternate music cues too. A must if you're a Re-Animator fan.

10/18

25. Halloween (1978) 5/5--Carpenter's classic looks mostly fantastic on the 35th anniversary Blu-ray. Most of the night-time action features similar color timing to the THX DVD release--with an enormous boost in resolution. The day-time scenes definitely lean too far to green. But the substantial color desaturation gives them a chilly, grey look. It's different, but inoffensive. I didn't care for the new Jamie Lee Curtis feature. She's relatively neurotic and not a lot of fun to shadow. I barely made it twenty minutes before I turned it off.

*first-time viewing

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 23:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Dracula's Daughter (1936): While I don't agree with shape22's contention that this is a "snoozefest" (see the post above mine ^), I'd agree that it's not exactly action packed or particularly creepy. I still enjoyed the desperation by Dracula's daughter to be rid of her curse and watching her try to overcome it.

Son Of Dracula (1943): This one on the other hand was pretty bad. I'm not so sure that Lon Chaney Jr. makes a good Dracula. He's a great Wolf Man but lacks the combo of charming and terrifying that makes Dracula work. I liked the idea of a woman using ole Drac to gain immortality and then planning on killing him, it's just too bad that the execution of the story was...blah. I honestly feel that the movie would've been better with some one else playing Dracula though.

House Of Dracula (1945): Another pretty blah Dracula in this one but Chaney Jr. is back as The Wolf Man and Frankenstein's Monster even makes a brief appearance...and a woman with a hump on her back....and the Dr. basically becomes Dr. Jekyll and then Mr. Hyde, but not really because I guess Universal didn't have the rights to the character(s). Anyway not a bad story about a Doctor who is visited by Larry Talbot (Wolf Man) and Dracula (using an alias) hoping to be cured of their afflictions...though I'm not completely convinced that Dracula was taking it seriously or if he was just there to hit on pretty nurses. So it's a pretty fun ride with all the monsters that show up, just too bad the Creature From The Black Lagoon didn't show up (tho the castle is on the ocean so maybe he was swimming that day), or the invisible Man (but maybe he was just running around nekkid).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

We're covering a lot of the same ground. I watched Son the other day but haven't gotten around to writing it up yet. Chaney is definitely laughably miscast. But overall I strongly prefer Son to Daughter. The plot is interesting and it's full of atmospheric touches. It has that unmistakable classic Universal feel. I found Daughter to be seriously lacking in those qualities.

10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 23rd:
    Jason X (blu)
    So bad its good - at least for me. Thought the blu transfer was actually solid on this one for the most part

11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

48. Scarlet Fry's Junkfood Horrorfest
    49. Shivers

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10.23.13 (35)

Vestron Video Classics on DVD Triple Feature

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Cannibal Apocalypse (1980) (DVD)

Watchability: [​IMG]
    Energy drain: [​IMG]

Vietnam vet encounters war buddies infected with virus causing violent behavior and the urge to eat human flesh. Italian Action-Horror with typical awkward U.S. setting and innovative camera work. Some neat gore and obvious stock footage add to the (cheesy) fun.

The House on the Edge of the Park (1980) (DVD) [​IMG]

Notorious sadistic rape/crime/thriller that appears cheesy at first glance but really isn't. The violence isn't all that explicit by today's standards, and the cast give unusual good performances. "Hot Diggity" remains a classic, though.

Hell of the Living Dead (1980) (DVD)

Watchability: [​IMG]
    Energy drain: [​IMG]

Special unit squad battle zombies in exotic location. Classic Z-Movie that will tickle your funny bone throughout.​

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Oct. 23rd [#19]

The Conjuring (2013)

[​IMG]

This was a lot of fun--great scares, a plot that covered familiar ground but did so with finesse. And it featured smart performances.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

October 22:

The Flesh Eaters (1964)-8/10
    Cast a Deadly Spell (1991)-8/10
    Eyes of Fire (1983)-8/10
    Ghost Story (1981)-9/10

October 23:

Wolfen (1981)-5/10
    Ravenous (1999)-8/10

15. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Toolbox Murders (1978) Blu-ray
    Nightmare DVD
    Maniac (1980) Blu-ray

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** = first time viewing
    10/01 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 5/10
    10/02 - Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 6/10
    10/03 - The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962) 4/10 **
    10/04 - Black Sunday (1960) **
    10/05 - World War Z [Unrated] (2013) 6/10 **
    10/05 - Stripperland (2011) 4/10 **
    10/06 - A Bay of Blood (1971) 8/10 **
    10/07 - Female Vampire (1973) 1/10 **
    10/08 - Student Bodies (1981) 5/10 **
    10/09 - Return to Horror High (1987) 6/10 **
    10/10 - Kill Baby, Kill (1966) **
    10/11 - Lisa and the Devil (1973) **
    10/11 - The Hitchhiker: A Whole New You (1991) 1/10 **
    10/12 - The Hitchhiker: True Believer (1986) 4/10 **
    10/12 - The Hitchhiker: W.G.O.D. (1985) 5/10 **
    10/12 – Doctor Jekyll vs. The Wolfman (1972) 6/10 **
    10/13 - Crimson (The Man with the Severed Head) (1973) 1/10 **
    10/13 – Berserker: The Nordic Curse (Berserker) (1987) 4/10 **
    10/14 – Victims! (1985) 4/10 **
    10/15 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: The House That Screamed (1969) 7/10 **
    10/16 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: Maneater of Hydra (Island of the Doomed) (1967) 3/10 **
    10/17 – Death Ship (1980) 5/10 **
    10/18 – Ghost Ship (2002) 6/10
    10/18 – Wrong Turn (2003) 6/10 **
    10/19 – Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007) 6/10 **
    10/19 – Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 2/10 **
    10/20 – Tombs of the Blind Dead [Spanish Uncut] (1972) 6/10 **
    10/21 – The House by the Cemetery (1981) 6/10 **
    10/21 – This Is the End (2013) 8/10 **
    10/21 – Seeding of a Ghost (Zhong gui) (1983) 7/10 **
    10/22 – The Killer Snakes (She sha shou) (1975) 4/10 **
    10/22 – The Night of the Sorcerers (La noche de los brujos) (1974) 6/10 **
    10/23 – Evil Dead II (1987) 5/10 **
    10/23 – Evil Head (2012) **

[​IMG]

The Night of the Sorcerers (La noche de los brujos) (1974) 6/10 **
    A team of researchers travel into the African jungle to study the mysterious disappearance of elephants in the area. Instead they discover a tribe of voodoo-zombies who rise from the ground

Like most of the Spanish horror I’ve seen, this is a hoot. Writer/director, Amando de Ossorio, found a wonderful excuse to whip the clothes off of a group of euro-babes and have them prance around in leopard bikinis and fangs. It’s not scary despite how serious the actors are playing it, but it is fun. Well worth the time.

[​IMG]

Evil Dead II (1987) 5/10 **
    I really like the Three Stooges but seeing Bruce Campbell’s one-man horror version just didn’t do much for me. I think the effects work is mostly to blame. All of it looks like effects. The “Ray Harryhausen- Jason and the Argonauts” stuff just looks stupid in an 80’s film and the deadites look like people in rubber masks. I know what I speak is blasphemy but I find it ironic that Horror fans bitch incessantly about remakes, while at the same time one of their crown jewels is a carbon copy of a film the same director made just a few years prior. Not Groovy.

[​IMG]

Evil Head (2012) **
    A XXX parody of THE EVIL DEAD starring Joanna Angel and Tommy Pistol.

The reason these Burning Angel parodies work is because Joanna Angel and her crew genuinely appear to enjoy what they’re doing. These don’t feel like the soulless cash-ins that most XXX parodies are. EVIL HEAD definitely has some funny and shocking moments which is what I was looking for. But not surprisingly, Deadite sex isn’t all that hot. And yes, they graphically covered Shelly’s tree assault.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/2/13

The Walking Dead “The Suicide King” (2013)
    The Walking Dead “Home” (2013)
    The Walking Dead “I Ain’t A Judas” (2013)

10/4/13

The Walking Dead "Clear" (2013)
    The Walking Dead "Arrow on the Doorpost" (2013)
    The Walking Dead "Prey" (2013)

10/5/13

The Walking Dead "This Sorrowful Life" (2013)
    The Walking Dead "Welcome to the Tombs" (2013)
    The Fog (1980)
    Prince of Darkness (1987)

10/6/13

Psycho II (1983)
    Psycho III (1986)

10/7/13

Baron Blood (1972)
    Lisa and the Devil (1974)

10/9/13

American Horror Story: Asylum "Welcome To Briarcliff" (2012)
    American Horror Story: Asylum "Tricks & Treats" (2012)

10/11/13

Dracula (1958)
    The Vampire Lovers (1970)
    Twins of Evil (1971)

10/12/13

Asylum (1972)

10/13/13

American Horror Story: Asylum “Nor’easter” (2012)
    American Horror Story: Asylum “I Am Anne Frank Part 1” (2012)
    American Horror Story: Asylum “I Am Anne Frank Part 2” (2012)
    American Horror Story: Asylum “The Origins of Monstrosity” (2012)

10/14/13

Race With the Devil (1975)

10/16/13

American Horror Story: Asylum “Dark Cousin” (2012)
    American Horror Story: Asylum “Unholy Night” (2012)

10/17/13

Virgin Witch (1972)

10/18/13

American Horror Story: Asylum “The Coat Hanger” (2012)
    American Horror Story: Asylum “The Name Game” (2013)
    American Horror Story: Asylum “Spilt Milk" (2013)
    American Horror Story: Asylum “Continuum” (2013)
    American Horror Story: Asylum “Madness Ends” (2013)

10/19/13

Fall of the House of Usher (1960)
    The Pit & The Pendulum (1961)

10/20/13

The Haunted Palace (1963)
    Masque of the Red Death (1964)

10/21/13

House of the Devil (2009)
    The Innkeepers (2011)

10/23/13

Lifeforce (1985)

18. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 24th
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

55) Creepshow

56) Trick R Treat

57) V/H/S

58) V/H/S/2

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I think your first point (the effects) is insane, but your second is really fair. I don't know why ED2 gets a pass from fans who would otherwise stamp their feet about remakes. Good topic for discussion.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, the question of Evil Dead 2 being a remake or a sequel has been discssed many a time here. I won't rehash that, but I will say that even if ED2 is a remake, it takes the story in a different direction than the first one. The gore and violence is played for laughs, while the first Evil Dead is straight up horror. Almost no humor. So if that's the case, then the Evil Dead 2 "remake" is at least changing the source material.

Also, it's not the concept of a remake that's necessarily anathema to fans, it's the movies they choose to do, and how they do it. Again, if Evil Dead 2 is indeed a remake, it came out just about the same time as The Fly and The Blob, two remakes that most horror fans (myself included) consider to be classics.

It's when they take a classic movie, and just do a paint-by-numbers rehash of it simply because today's young audiences won't appreciate a movie without a lot of CGI and contemporary actors (or, because the original movie is not in English) that we get so pissed. I haven't seen this new Carrie yet, but the consensus is that it adds nothing to the story that we didn't see in DePalma's version. So why even do it? (see above comment about today's audiences for answer)

Now, back on topic (October viewing), there's a lot of titles getting thrown out here. I'm adding many to my Netflix queue, although they won't be watched until long after October is over. Which is fine with me of course. I hope that everyone here who's "discovered" an obscure or older movie will post up a recommendation list after the month is over. I want to emphasize obscure and older though! Don't want someone coming in saying "Ooooh, I watched this movie called The Thing by some Carpenter guy, and it wasn't half bad"