The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2013.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** = first time viewing
    10/01 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 5/10
    10/02 - Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 6/10
    10/03 - The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962) 4/10 **
    10/04 - Black Sunday (1960) **
    10/05 - World War Z [Unrated] (2013) 6/10 **
    10/05 - Stripperland (2011) 4/10 **
    10/06 - A Bay of Blood (1971) 8/10 **
    10/07 - Female Vampire (1973) 1/10 **
    10/08 - Student Bodies (1981) 5/10 **
    10/09 - Return to Horror High (1987) 6/10 **
    10/10 - Kill Baby, Kill (1966) **
    10/11 - Lisa and the Devil (1973) **
    10/11 - The Hitchhiker: A Whole New You (1991) 1/10 **
    10/12 - The Hitchhiker: True Believer (1986) 4/10 **
    10/12 - The Hitchhiker: W.G.O.D. (1985) 5/10 **
    10/12 – Doctor Jekyll vs. The Wolfman (1972) 6/10 **
    10/13 - Crimson (The Man with the Severed Head) (1973) 1/10 **
    10/13 – Berserker: The Nordic Curse (Berserker) (1987) 4/10 **
    10/14 – Victims! (1985) 4/10 **
    10/15 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: The House That Screamed (1969) 7/10 **
    10/16 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: Maneater of Hydra (Island of the Doomed) (1967) 3/10 **
    10/17 – Death Ship (1980) 5/10 **
    10/18 – Ghost Ship (2002) 6/10
    10/18 – Wrong Turn (2003) 6/10 **
    10/19 – Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007) 6/10 **
    10/19 – Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 2/10 **
    10/20 – Tombs of the Blind Dead [Spanish Uncut] (1972) 6/10 **
    10/21 – The House by the Cemetery (1981) 6/10 **

[​IMG]

Tombs of the Blind Dead [Spanish Uncut] (1972) 6/10 **
    In the 13th century a legion of evil Templar knights quested for eternal life by drinking human blood and committing sacrifices. They were executed for their unholy deeds. Now, in modern day Portugal, a group of people stumble on the Templars abandoned monastery, reviving their rotting corpses to terrorize the land.

Templar Knight zombies = freaking awesome. The people in this film behave in a ludicrous fashion to the point where they deserve to be killed, but that still doesn’t change the fact that Templar Knight zombies are freaking awesome. There is some beautiful scenery as well.

[​IMG]

The House by the Cemetery (1981) 6/10 **
    A family moves into an isolated mansion where a grisly murder-suicide took place.

This one is bizarre and I really dug it. These are some the best gore gags I’ve seen in an Italian zombie flick. Many were so good that I feared for the safety of the actresses. The throat stabbing with the poker is especially gruesome.

My thanks to walkingdude for grabbing a kickass movie off his shelf in the NFL Suicide Pool.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 21. Night Of The Creeps. 3.5/5.
    Return of the Living Dead II. 2.5/5.
    Friday The 13th Part IV-The Final Chapter. 3.5/5.

3. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Second and third week / weekend of October:

The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season: This excellent TV show, set in the Atlanta area, follows a group of survivors as they attempt to make their way in a world overrun with flesh-eating zombies. It's very cinematic, with high production values and surprising amounts of gore for even cable TV. What really sells it though, is its attention to story and character development. In future seasons, I hope it retains its high visual standards and remains grounded in reality. (I haven't read much of the comic this is based on yet.)

The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season: What is it about zombies? They fire up the imagination more so than any other subgenre of horror. Watching a good zombie drama gets one to thinking: What would I do if the dead started to rise? Where would I go? How would I survive the zombie apocalypse? I think a lot of the credit has to go to the original Dawn of the Dead, which so brilliantly set up a scenario with survivors banding together in a novel location (a shopping mall). The Walking Dead continues that tradition, with a group of survivors all pulling in different directions. We have Shane, who will do anything to survive and thrive in this world. We have Dale, the conscience of the group, clinging to traditional decency and morality. And we have Rick, who draws from both philosophies as needed to protect his family. It makes the audience think, What would I do? I honestly don’t get the complaints a lot of people had with Season 2. The group finds (temporary) safe haven on a farm, but there is still zombie action in every episode. Ep. 1 had the zombie herd, Ep. 2 had the church and Carl getting shot, Ep. 3 had the sacrifice of Otis, Ep. 4 had the well walker, etc. Who could forget the barn massacre, and Farmageddon? It’s the human drama and staying grounded in reality that make the show so compelling, and that shouldn’t be sacrificed to make it into a live-action video game.

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season: A lot of people bemoaned the single location and lack of action in Season 2 (I wasn't one of them). Going into Season 3, I was more concerned with how the more "comic book-y" characters like Michonne and the Governor would be integrated into a show that is compelling largely because it remains so well grounded. I'm happy to say that Season 3 is the best one yet! The new characters are great, a couple of MIA ones return, and there is a lot more action all around. There are several episodes this season that have that season-ender, "big episode" feel to them. But the hits just keep on coming in the zombie apocalypse!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 22nd
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Well, it's that time of the month again, time to start busting out the classics. As usual, I'm kicking it off with the trifecta.​

48) Waxwork

49) Killer Klowns From Outer Space

50) Night Of The Creeps

51) Monster Squad

5. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

October 20th , 21st , 22nd

40. The Howling (1981)
    I think All the poor sequels have tarnished how good the original was, still a very effective horror film that does not take itself too seriously .

41. The Fog (1980)
    Still scary and atmospheric and can still make me jump despite seeing it every October for the last 10 years

42. The Changeling (1980)
    Part ghost story , part detective story . No fancy gimmicks , no SFX just great camera work and good performances help to make this one of the best ghost story's ever made.

43. Freddy vs Jason (2003)
    Sure the movie is full of plot holes but when the two giants of the horror genre go toe to toe you can overlook pretty much anything.

44. Haunted (2013)
    First time viewing. A found footage film shot in England about a tv show doing an investigation of a haunted rail yard. I normally love found footage films and have even enjoyed most of the bad ones, this one however could be a contender for the worst film ever made. No plot , no build up of tension just basically 70 mins of people talking and occasionally arguing , then the ghost shows up and kills everyone in the last five minutes with a iron bar or some other object.

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10.22.13 (32)

[​IMG]

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (Blu-ray) [​IMG]

What can be said that hasn't been said before about this classic? It's always a pleasure to watch it.

Torso (1973) (Blu-ray) [​IMG]

I can see where John Carpenter got the mask and piano music idea for Halloween (1978) :D Great tense proto-slasher, not recommended for feminists ;)

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

What are you talking about? Suzy Kendall holds her own pretty well until a man comes to her rescue! :p Just kidding, this movie rocks, even with the slightly unconvincing gore. :)

8. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

It's been a little while since I checked in-wish I had more movies to report on, but I have slacked a bit.
    15. Beneath The Dark (2/10)
    -Wish I had skipped this one, to be honest. I checked it out on Netflix and it's one of those where the major twist is spotted by anybody on this board about three minutes into the film. Getting to it is not much fun, either. The only thing this movie has going for it is The daughter from the Sopranos, who looks gorgeous here. The male lead is AWFUL, and I wish I had made a note of his name so I could be sure to avoid any of his further acting "efforts".
    16. Halloween 5 (8.5/10)
    -Bonkers to be sure in spots, but I still love it. The only thing I would eliminate are the dumb sound effects with the cops. Not much to say here that hasn't been touched upon a million times by the rest of you guys!
    17. Halloween (2007) (8/10)
    -As I'm sure I've said before, I hated this the first time and like it a little more with each passing viewing. You just really have to separate it as much as possible from the original and try to take it as a totally different experience-which I know is difficult, as the original is my favorite movie of all time.
    18. Halloween 6 (9/10)
    -I am just a complete sucker for this one. I even love the exploding head!! Logic gaps the size of Buddy's gut from Slaughterhouse abound all over this and make part 5 look like a refined Agatha Christie novel. And yes, I have seen the producer's cut (albeit in terrible quality). I still prefer this one, except for the last minute or two. I don't recall how the Producer's cut ended, but I think some of the problem here might have had to do with Pleasance's passing. Love this flick!!
    19. Halloween Havoc 1991 (8/10)
    -Calling an audible here and putting these on, as they are somewhat Halloween themed and I have spent some serious time checking out these classic WCW wrestling gems! I got suckered a couple of years ago into buying a complete set of these events on ebay, and of course they are shoddy quality DVR'd bootlegs taken from old video masters. However, how else can I see this stuff? (without looking at them on a tiny computer screen on youtube). Anyway, for whoever is still reading, 1991 has a poorly concieved but entertaining "Chamber of Horrors" cage match that has one poor fellow wrestler out of the 8 involved placed in an electric chair that descends into the cage and cooks them alive!!!! Luckily, the victim ends up being Abdullah the Butcher- he is barely bothered. For some reason I also enjoyed seeing Big Josh and PN News wrestle as well-I had forgotten about the old lumberjack! The Lex Luger and Ron Simmons match for the main event wasn't that great-but when have we ever really seen a great Luger match? Oh, and Rick Rude emerging as the WCW Phantom was fantastic! I still can't quite decide who is my all time favorite- Rude or Ric Flair.
    20. Halloween Hvoc 1990 (6/10)
    -This one must have been edited down from the original PPV for one of those Turner videotapes, as it was only two hours long. The quality was also much worse than the 1991 show. Anyway, I enjoyed the Sid Vicious and Sting title match except for the fake Sting angle, which the cameras did not catch well. The tag match with the Midnight Express was decent as well-nothing else much of interest.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

amazing line-up!

10. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 22nd:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

October 2nd

02. Night Gallery: Little Black Bag

October 3rd

03. Night Gallery: Finnegan's Flight

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

October 7th

07. Night Gallery: Class of '99

October 8th

08. Night Gallery: The Return of the Sorcerer

October 9th

09. Night Gallery: Aunt Ada

October 10th

10. Night Gallery: A Question of Fear

October 11th

11. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

October 12th

12. The Shining (1980)

October 13th

13. The Fog (1980)

October 14th

14. Christine (1983)

October 15th

15. They Live (1988)

October 16th

16. The Thing (1982)

October 17th

17. Prince of Darkness (1987)

October 18th

18. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

October 19th

19. The Mummy's Hand (1940)
    20. The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    21. The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
    22. The Mummy's Curse (1944)

October 20th Happy Birthday Bela Lugosi! :evil:

23. Dracula (1931)
    24. White Zombie (1932)
    25. The Black Cat (1934)
    26. The Raven (1935)
    27. Son of Frankenstein (1939)

October 21st

28. The Seventh Victim (1943)

October 22nd

29. The Mask of Satan (1960)

12. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Yeah, I enjoyed that little reference. Greg Nicotero was on Talking Dead afterwards and admitted it was an intentional homage. I know the show gets some crap but I still enjoy it quite a bit.

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

41. The Mummy's Hand
    42. The Mummy's Tomb
    43. The Mummy's Ghost
    44. The Mummy's Curse
    45. Let Me In

While I enjoyed this marathon, or was a little too much of the same movie in all. Would have been better suited to watch one per October for four years.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Dan Curtis week!

[​IMG]
    10/14 The Night Stalker (1972)
    While its premise and execution are flawless there's not much for surprises in here. The vampire is straight up by the book kind of stuff and quickly revealed as such so there's not much for a reporter like Kolchak to do for the audience. Darren McGavin is still fantastic and makes me wish I'd seem more appearances then A Christmas Story. While still good I'm left wondering why people consider it so great.

[​IMG]
    10/15 The Night Strangler (1973)
    After a "meh" experience with Stalker I wasn't expecting much from this one. But since the story line wasn't as predictable I found myself very wrapped up in the story. Kolchak was able to unravel a true mystery here devised by Richard Matheson. They were also able to carry over what made the original so great and fix a lot of what made the original cliche and predictable. I love the way they used the underused elixir mythology and wove it into Seattle's very real underground. This might very well be my favorite Matheson screenplay.

[​IMG]
    10/16 Bram Stoker's Dracula (1973)
    Jack Palance makes for one of the more animistic portrayals of the Count in this fairly accurate adaptation (it spirals more and more out of sync as it goes on). It shares a lot of the same problems as Franco's take with Christopher Lee, being lesser than the sum of its parts. One problem with it is the same problem I had with the book, that an all powerful creature is so easily overtaken.
    They also set up a good premise, that Dracula could be seeking revenge for the death of a vampiric Lucy but never really follow through with it.
    Overall I enjoyed his Jekyll / Hyde much more. Apparently I missed the blink and you miss it cameo of Sarah Douglas as one of the brides.

[​IMG]
    10/17 Frankenstein (1973)
    I wanted to watch this from my Elvira tape but I'd forgotten it was Beta! Anyways, Bo Svenson made a wonderful Creature and really shows up Robert De Niro with a believably child like performance. The scene where he practices in the cabin was truly heart breaking and the most human thing I've ever seen a monster do. I think this film would have made Boris very proud of what Bo's done with Karloff's onscreen persona. There's an oddly Dr. Who vibe to this which I enjoyed as well.

[​IMG]
    10/18 Dark Shadows (2012)
    I was reluctant to see this as Sweeney Todd was pretty awful all around in my eyes. Combine that with the poor reviews and mediocre box office I just wasn't excited to see this, but I figured if I ever was to see it now was the time. Johnny Depp's fairly good in this and it has its moments of dark humor but I think the real problem with this is that it doesn't make for a good comedy overall. Which is too bad because besides the main plot there's some very macabre story elements here that could have made for a harrowing film. This did introduce me to Alice Cooper's Ballad of Dwight Fry which brought a smile to the face of a classic horror fans such as myself.

[​IMG]

15. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

October 1st: Friday the 13th (1980) (3/5)
    October 2nd: Bereavement (2/5)
    October 4th: Friday the 13th Part 2 (3/5)
    October 4th: Switchblade Romance (5/5)
    October 5th: Return of the Living Dead (1985) (5/5)
    October 6th: Gravity (3D) (5/5)
    October 8th: And Soon the Darkness (2010) (3/5)
    October 11th: Friday the 13th Part 3 in 2D (2/5)
    October 11th: Suspiria (5/5)
    October 15th: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (2.5/5)
    October 17th: Friday the 13th part IV (3/5)
    October 18th: Grindhouse (theatrical blu) (5/5)
    October 19th: Movie 43 (2/5)
    October 19th: Maniac (2012) (2/5)
    October 19th: Descent (2007) (2/5)
    October 19th: Night of the Demons 2 (3/5)
    October 20th: V/H/S 2 (2/5)
    October 20th: Immortals (1/5)
    October 21st: Friday the 13th Part V (3/5)
    October 21st: Friday the 13th Part VI (3/5)

October 22nd: I Spit on Your Grave 2 (3/5)

[​IMG]

This sequel in name only wasn't as offensively vile as I had read it might be, but neither was it as good as the others it shares a name with. It's decently made, and certainly has its moments, but the revenge sequences seem implausibly contrived -
    for a woman in a foreign country where she doesn't speak the language and lives in a sewer, she is somehow able to prepare some elaborate vengeance
    - but that aside it wasn't bad, and probably better than Hostel.

October 22nd: Rites of Spring (2011) (3/5)

[​IMG]

I really had no expectations going into this one, and just stumbled across in on netflix and thought it looked interesting. The beginning is a bit of a jumbled mess, with notably poor dialogue (scene after scene of not-the-best actors vaguely discussing their upcoming plan, with no clues for the audience to know what they're talking about, gets annoying fast), but it came together enough at the end in a satisfyingly gruesome, twisted way that overall it wasn't a bad experience. Worth a viewing at least once if you have some free time to spare.

16. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pieces DVD
    Cat In The Brain DVD

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 22:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Night Train To Terror (1985): Weird that it starts off with what is basically a music video of some cheesy 80's "rock band", complete with break dancing and everyone wearing workout clothes. On a train. Then we cut to a compartment on said train with God and Satan sitting across from each other, deciding on the fates of the souls of characters in three different stories. This is an anthology film. The three stories are actually three different, previously made films that are just crammed into this one, but in such a way that they make no sense with the wraparound concept. Nor do the three actual stories make any sense at all. Characters are introduced, and do nothing, then disappear never to be seen again. People show up and are killed in the space of 15 seconds, for no real reason. Richard Moll is in two of the stories. It's a big mess and doesn't make a lick of sense.

That being said, it has some entertaining moments, some fun claymation, quite a bit of nudity, some terrible acting, and I dunno it was terrible but in a not-so-terrible kind of way if you know what I'm saying? I actually like the idea of the movie, it's just so shoddily done.

Cannibal Girls (1973): Eugene Levy with a big afro and a bushy mustache is in this, so is Andrea Martin but she doesn't have a mustache. There's also three gorgeous 70's girls that attract men back to their house and then eat them. Apparently the whole town is in on it too. This early Ivan Reitman film is really silly, really cheap, but also really fun. Also kind of cool that this is a Canadian film that doesn't hide the fact that it takes place in Canada.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986): A lot more comedic than the original but still with the cruelty and gross stuff. Pretty good mix actually. I've seen this quite a few times now, probably more than the original and I just like it a a lot.

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** = first time viewing
    10/01 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 5/10
    10/02 - Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 6/10
    10/03 - The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962) 4/10 **
    10/04 - Black Sunday (1960) **
    10/05 - World War Z [Unrated] (2013) 6/10 **
    10/05 - Stripperland (2011) 4/10 **
    10/06 - A Bay of Blood (1971) 8/10 **
    10/07 - Female Vampire (1973) 1/10 **
    10/08 - Student Bodies (1981) 5/10 **
    10/09 - Return to Horror High (1987) 6/10 **
    10/10 - Kill Baby, Kill (1966) **
    10/11 - Lisa and the Devil (1973) **
    10/11 - The Hitchhiker: A Whole New You (1991) 1/10 **
    10/12 - The Hitchhiker: True Believer (1986) 4/10 **
    10/12 - The Hitchhiker: W.G.O.D. (1985) 5/10 **
    10/12 – Doctor Jekyll vs. The Wolfman (1972) 6/10 **
    10/13 - Crimson (The Man with the Severed Head) (1973) 1/10 **
    10/13 – Berserker: The Nordic Curse (Berserker) (1987) 4/10 **
    10/14 – Victims! (1985) 4/10 **
    10/15 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: The House That Screamed (1969) 7/10 **
    10/16 – Elvira's Movie Macabre: Maneater of Hydra (Island of the Doomed) (1967) 3/10 **
    10/17 – Death Ship (1980) 5/10 **
    10/18 – Ghost Ship (2002) 6/10
    10/18 – Wrong Turn (2003) 6/10 **
    10/19 – Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007) 6/10 **
    10/19 – Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 2/10 **
    10/20 – Tombs of the Blind Dead [Spanish Uncut] (1972) 6/10 **
    10/21 – The House by the Cemetery (1981) 6/10 **
    10/21 – This Is the End (2013) 8/10 **
    10/21 – Seeding of a Ghost (Zhong gui) (1983) 7/10 **
    10/22 – The Killer Snakes (She sha shou) (1975) 4/10 **

[​IMG]

This Is the End (2013) 8/10 **
    While attending a party at James Franco's house, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel and many other celebrities are faced with the apocalypse.

Alright. This one the funniest films I’ve seen in a while and I assume it will only get funnier every time I re-visit it. I don’t keep up with these actors but I’ve seen enough of their stuff to understand their personas. It's a riot the way Michael Cera is portrayed. There is plenty of gore and some mild scares, but its just a film about a small group of idiots trying not to die during the apocalypse. And it’s a ton of fun.

[​IMG]

Seeding of a Ghost (Zhong gui) (1983) 7/10 **
    A Hong Kong taxi driver suffers after being cursed by a sorcerer he accidentally hit with his cab.

This Shaw Brothers production starts off rather tame with nearly no horror elements in the first 30 minutes. After that it starts ratcheting up the crazy to the point where I was awestuck by the final 10 minutes. This film is a real treat.

The Killer Snakes (She sha shou) (1975) 4/10 **
    A young man who has been beaten, abused, humiliated and laughed at all his life finds that he has the ability to control snakes. He decides to use his newfound gift to take his revenge on everyone who ever did him wrong.

This does have some wild WTF moments but the film doesn’t work because I didn’t sympathize with the lead. He certainly had it rough but he’s no more sympathetic than the rest of the characters. I can’t imagine sitting through this one again.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh yeah. This is one of my all time favorites, 'cause it hits so many genres of HK cinema (although I think Seeding of a Ghost is a mainland production). First 30 minutes is a total soft-core Cat III movie, then it's sort of a cop movie, until the finale with all the transformations and creatures. Everything you want in one movie.

20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

:lol: Great write-up. Love that after describing all the nonsense you go into "That being said."