The 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2012.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I thought I was alone. Count me in too. MADMAN bored me to tears. It takes more than one campfire ghost story to make an entertaining slasher.

Sweet! I love DEMONWARP. I figured it was too obscure to get any love in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things is different from the rest

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

i enjoyed this quite a bit, actually. it started out kind of...stupid. what with the dancing on graves and all that. and at first the EXTREME desaturation of colour was getting on my nerves. but it started to improve. and improve. and improve. until by the end it was kinda nuts, and i found myself having a lot of fun. i really liked the way the ghosts were handled, both in their design and stories. this was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. cjg

cjg Active Member

Oct 4- The Perfect Host

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

weak. predictable. uninteresting. boring. poorly acted. cheap. dull. ugh.

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/13/12 Filmcount: 16

[​IMG]

The Monster Squad (1987)

Not very original (literally steals scenes/ideas from The Goonies and Explorers) and even as a straight guy I sometimes wonder about the homophobic tone/attitude (very common in 80s movies). That said, The Monster Squad is still a very entertaining horror comedy with great f/x and visuals. 4.5/5

7. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I've got some catching up to do. It's halfway through the month, and although I've been watching plenty, I haven't posted yet. Time to get cracking....

The last week of September, I watched Coraline and Paranorman. I heartily recommend both. The animation is excellent, and both are creepy and clever enough for adults as well as kids. Because of Paranorman and Frankenweenie, I'll be watching a lot of Halloween-appropriate animation this year.

First week of October:

Halloween II (Television Version): A couple years ago, I caught a showing on AMC while on vacation (Cedar Point Halloweekends!) and laughed my ass off! Since then, I have always wanted a copy for myself (and for my brother, who’s a big Halloween / Myers fan) but never seemed to be able to record a full, good one. Now here it is, thanks to our friends at Shout! Factory. This is not an uncut / restored TV version like Anchor Bay released for the first film. This is fullscreen, with all the awkwardly re-looped dialogue, disappearing characters, clumsy editing, and alternate ending intact. It’s hilarious. Give it a watch!

Night of the Demons (2009): The original Night of the Demons is a cool, fun, ‘80s horror flick. This remake is detestable. From chicks discussing their bikini waxes to demon anal rape, it’s needlessly vulgar throughout. To be fair, it has two good points: The flashbacks showing the history of the mansion are well done, and two guys stop a Halloween candy thief with a paintball gun. That’s not worth slogging through all the filth, though. Familiar faces include Shannon Elizabeth as Angela, Monica Keena, a pale pudgy Edward Furlong, and the original’s Linnea Quigley in a cameo. Unless you really love how Rob Zombie dirtied up Halloween, avoid this.

Hotel Transylvania: Better than expected. Based on the trailers, it looks like a typical modern kids’ movie (hyperactive and dumb) with little interest for adults. The plot of a daughter straining against an overprotective father is pretty standard, just with a Classic Monster twist. It has some laughs throughout, but what won me over was towards the end, when the monsters discover how the outside world has changed. Cool.

Mad Monster Party: I’m sad to say, this didn’t do anything for me (I hadn’t seen it before). It’s pretty dull; instead of being feature-length, it may have worked better as a shorter holiday TV special (like Rankin Bass’ many Christmas shows). Neither the animation nor most of the character designs are particularly appealing. Like Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein last year, I think this is something that probably works best as nostalgia for those who watched it as kids.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Halfway through the month and here's what I've watched...

THE MIDNIGHT HOUR
    THE REVENANT
    A BUCKET OF BLOOD
    SCARY OR DIE
    WELCOME TO SPRING BREAK
    LOVELY MOLLY
    PARASITIC
    HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON
    GHOULIES 3: GHOULIES GO TO COLLEGE
    976-EVIL 2
    THE UNINVITED (2008)
    PUMPKINHEAD 2
    MOMMY
    WISHMASTER 2
    THE BLEEDING HOUSE
    LEPRECHAUN 2
    AND SOON THE DARKNESS

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

First weekend of October:

Jeepers Creepers: Starts off as a better-than-average stalker movie with a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe, then becomes a full-fledged monster movie for its final third. It seems like a lot of people don’t like the transition, but I love it. I guess most peeps just prefer trenchcoat-garbed axe-murdering truck drivers to flesh-eating gargoyles. Believable, well-acted leads, rural atmosphere, and a great creepy killer make this one a winner. One of the best horror movies of the ‘00s.

Jeepers Creepers 2: This was my first published AICN review. In fact, it was so nice they had to post it twice. Anyways, my opinion of JC2 has improved. While I stand by my original review, I have found more to like in this sequel. It’s got some great scenes (like the abduction of the young boy that opens the film). We get to see a lot more of the Creeper in this one, and he is something to behold. Get this hungry critter in more movies already! With some careful long-term planning, this could become an awesome horror franchise. (Just check out the deleted scenes.)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 14th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

30) Requiem: More of a drama than a horror film. Regardless, this is still quite a disturbing tale of mental disorder and the dangers of religious fanaticism. Great acting and directing, with a thought provoking story that will most likely stick with you for days. (8/10)

31) Deadly Blessing: I really wanted to like this one more than I did. Pretty good atmosphere, interesting conecpt and a few good, tense moments here and there. But, the plot is so muddled with various characters and subplots that it starts losing track of its own mythology and whether or not is was a slasher film or a supernatural film. The final few minutes of the film is what really saves it from being forgettable, but ultimately I was a bit disappointed. (6/10)

11. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Phone DVD
    One Missed Call DVD

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

What movie? Seems like there should be an image with your post? but it's not showing for me. No images showing for me in any of your other posts either.

13. Bobholly

Bobholly New Member

double post sorry

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  14. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 14th
    [​IMG]

15. Bobholly

Bobholly New Member

Been doing my annual "watch at least one horror film/documentary a day. Then post a review on my blog" thing.

Here is what I have watched so far.

Oct 1st Dying Breed
    Oct 2nd City of the Living Dead AKA Gates of Hell
    Oct 3rd Ghoulies III Ghoulies goto College
    Oct 4th Bloodlust Zombies
    Oct 5th Chopping Mall
    Oct 6th Cherry Falls
    Oct 7th Last Man on Earth
    Oct 8th Killer Tongue
    Oct 9th Tender Flesh
    Oct 10th The Funhouse
    Oct 11th April Fool's Day-original
    Oct 12th Screaming in High Heels the rise and fall of the Scream Queens era
    Oct 13th Dario Argento An eye for Horror
    Oct 14th Chillerama

I have also added in some reviews of horror comics,tv shows and even some of my Halloween Pez.

www.Doubletsblogofreviews.blogspot.com

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

oh, shit, sorry. the images are showing up for me still. anyway, that movie was The Gravedancers.

17. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Murders in the Zoo (1933)

October 2nd

02. The Strange Case of Dr.Rx (1942)

October 3rd

03. Calling Dr. Death (1943)

October 4th

04. Weird Woman (1944)

October 5th

05. Thriller: The Cheaters (1960)
    06. Ed Wood (1994) Blu

October 6th

07. Evil Dead II (1987) Blu

October 7th

08. The Thing (1982) Blu

October 8th

09. Dead Man's Eyes (1944)

October 9th

10. The Frozen Ghost (1945)

October 10th

11. Strange Confession (1945)
    12. The Uninvited (1944)

October 11th

13. Pillow of Death (1945)

October 12th

14. Thriller: The Hungry Glass (1961)
    15. The Fog (1980)

October 13th

16. The Shining (1980) Blu

October 14th

17. The Frighteners (1996) Blu

October 15th

18. The Haunting (1963)

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.14th. Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy-Nowhere near the classic level of hilarity as 'Meet Frankenstein' but still pretty funny with some memorable gags such as the snake charmer bit and the 'pick and shovel' routine. Despite a shabby looking Mummy and not nearly enough genuine monster mayhem I very much enjoyed this one. 4/5.
    Just wish a decent Blu-Ray of Hold That Ghost would materialize now.

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

October 14th

[​IMG]
    October Madness #23: Maximum Overdrive (1986)
    Rating: ★★

As the earth remains in the tail of a comet for 8 days all the world's machines go haywire and start attacking and killing the humans, especially a semi adorned with the face of the Green Goblin.

Stephen King's feature directorial debut is a horror film with little structure, a simple story that's spun too long, and with characters that are extremely under written. The AC/DC soundtrack never meshes and just annoys with it's constant radio rock repetition, and not being a fan of AC/DC in the first place it becomes extra grating... A dumb, rarely fun, poorly written mess of a film.

[​IMG]
    October Madness #24: Rojo sangre (Blood Red) (2004)
    Rating: ★★½

Pablo Thevenet (Paul Naschy), a once great actor now past his prime, bitterly goes to auditions and further realizes no one remembers who he is or once was. Needing a job he takes an offer that sounds too good to pass up where all he has to do is stand and act the part of Jack the Ripper, Rasputin, Bluebeard, and other vicious roles at the entrance of a stag club run by Mr. Reficul, who encourages him to play his parts. So with that cue Pablo begins to take on his ultimate role by exacting revenge on all those who are making cinema nothing but pablum for the masses and not paying him the respect he thinks he deserves.

Rojo sangre, or Blood Red, features a stand-out performance from Paul Naschy playing a character who's past resembles Naschy's own life. The Spanish horror icon here gives the role his all and makes Pablo's torment all the more twisted and whole. But Naschy's performance aside, Rojo sangre is full of plot holes and missing information. Christian Molina's direction is more focused on making the film physically look good, with great production design and interesting transitions that don't always work, which leaves the story to jump around and unravel into a nonsensical mess as the film progresses. Motives are blurry, events aren't always clearly depicted or discussed, and there seems to be complete scenes missing. One of these key scenes for instance is only mentioned half way through the movie in a casual exchange of dialogue that involves Pablo's daughter having been murdered years before, but it is never fleshed out or explained, yet it factors crucially in the plot later on. Messy, but enjoyable for Naschy's performance, Rojo sangre unfortunately can't be recommended to anyone other than Naschy completists. Which is a shame, because that's where a lot of Naschy's other work gets lumped...

20. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 15th

18. Zombi 2 (1979)
    A zombie versus a shark, what more could anyone want from a zombie film and for a fulci film a fairly cohesive plot.

19. Nosferatu (1979.
    Been meaning to watch this for years and finally got round to it today. This is my favorite first time watch this year. A truly beautiful film that tottally captivated my senses. A wonderful dreamlike quality with amazing scenery and a great orchestral score. Klaus Kinski gave both a sympathetic and terrifying performance as Dracula which is up there with the best.

20.tenebrae (1982).
    Dario Argento`s last great masterpiece. A twisty turny plot which will keep you guessing and thrilled right tothe end.