Terminator Remastered Edition 2/19 2013!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Every other country has gotten it, now it's the US turn!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10047

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release director James Cameron's classic action film The Terminator (1984), starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. Recently remastered, the film will be available for purchase on February 19th.

In this newly remastered film, Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as the most fierce and relentless killing machine ever to threaten the survival of mankind! An indestructible cyborg — a Terminator (Schwarzenegger) — is sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), the woman whose unborn son will become humanity's only hope in a future war against machines. This legendary sci-fi thriller from pioneering writer/director James Cameron, written with Gale Anne Hurd, fires an arsenal of action and heart-stopping suspense that never lets up!

Special Features:
    Remastered Theatrical Feature Blu-ray
    7 Deleted Scenes
    Creating The Terminator: Visual Effects & Music
    Terminator: A Retrospective

About time! :D I'm not a fan, but I'm happy for all the fans out there. It's still a shame not all the extras (the Other Voices documentary, trailers, and TV spots) couldn't be ported over for this edition, but I'm not surprised considering the other regions were the same. And as for wheather the Mono mix will be included, well, if this release is anything like the US MGM releases of the James Bond films, then odds are the Mono mix will be included. ;)

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

dont know if i will double dip or not since i have the first blu-ray and the awesome OOP special edition dvd

3. Nailwraps

4. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Sucks I got the US disc not long ago, then started reading about this remaster and almost imported it. It certainly looks worth an upgrade from the screen evidence I've seen, and I'm one who often thinks shitty looking blus look good (at least compared to what I read from others online). I think being available cheap in stores here will be the nudge I need to get upgraded. I'm tired of spending on this film and didn't want to pay for import, but if I can find this around $5 like the old BD I'll definitely jump on it. I'm thinking wait for $9.99 PP, then another upgrade and save sale at Best Buy to drop it to $5!

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Honestly, I think I prefer the US transfer. The color timing seems much better (check out the futuristic explosion or the small toy truck in Nailwraps' post for comparisons) and more accurate to how the film has always been presented. The UK transfer is definitely sharper, but it's not a terrible difference - for me the difference in colors between the two transfers is more pronounced than the sharpness, and the colors win out on the old release.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Got the new BD, and the old one feels like an SD upscale in comparision.
    This is one upgrade that is worth the money. Just as impressive as the Aliens BD.
    And now we don´t get pink tinted explosions when the truck goes up in flames :D

Now lets hope that T2 gets a new fresh transfer.

8. jcannon

jcannon Member

Wow! While I'm not a fan of Cameron's new color-timing (I don't ever remember 'Aliens' ever having a blue tint to it either) the detail is greatly increased. Damn shame they didn't film any new features for the Blu-Ray especially since Arnold is back acting again.

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any mention of James Cameron overseeing this remastered version of Terminator like he did with Aliens. I think I might wait this out until a Terminator 1 & 2 Cameron approved set is released.

10. fceurich39

no reviews yet for the usa release??? so is anyone getting it this tuesday my indie store is supposed to get it along with scream factory blu-rays. not sure if walmart/target stores will carry it since it is a catalogue title i know best buy isnt gonna have it in stores but my hastings store 30 minutes away has a copy for next week!

11. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I have it pre-ordered.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wait wait wait....do both the remastered UK and remastered US editions feature differing transfers?

~Matt

13. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

I contacted the PR firm handling this title and they said they haven't even begun to send out review copies yet, they were still up to their eyeballs in SKYFALL, which may explain why no reviews exist yet. I was looking for one, too.

I requested a review copy of this but I rarely get anything from MGM. Each time, though, I keep thinking it'll happen this time. I'll get one this time.

14. fceurich39

i havent even seen anyone get this early online yet like with most titles even scream facotry ones people post videos/forums with pics showing off their movies they got before street date.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I can't imagine that there is a difference in the transfer and/or audio track, but I've been wrong before. I have the latest UK version and it is the last version I'll ever need.

16. Nailwraps

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's not too surprising though. It wasn't on the UK Blu-ray remaster release either, which sounds like the same exact disc content.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Lazy bastards! They re-release this movie but still don't include all the missing DVD extras, including the 1 hour documentary "Other Voices" and the Cameron commentary on the deleted scenes.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's virtually guaranteed they'll re-release the film as a 30th Anniversary edition sometime in 2014. Perhaps by then we'll get a more definitive Blu-ray edition.

20. fceurich39

picked this up at my indie music store yesterday it looks phenominal like the jaws b;u-ray release last august. never seen the terminator any better hd quality!!!!