Sylvester Stallone's The Thing (Eye See You)

Discussion in 'General' started by Yowie, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Sylvester Stallone's The Thing

Just finished watching Sylvester Stallone's new movie "D-Tox" (R2). I thought it was good, could've been a lot better though, but still good. It reminded me of John Carpenter's "The Thing" with its remote and snowy Arctic-like locations. Horror fans will like it for this, I'm sure. It was nice to see Sly knee-deep in snow again (like in "Cliffhanger"), you don't see that too often. Actually, it didn't really have the feel of a Stallone movie, probably because he was more or less "just" part of an ensemble cast as opposed to being the usual overshadowing hero. As extras the DVD includes 8 short deleted scenes, but I don't think it makes any sense not to have them in the movie. At "only" 92 minutes they could easily have kept them in, but I think one scene in particular was shortened because it hinted on who the killer was. I think they should've kept this scene intact though. -Yes, it hinted at the killer's identity, but it might also have been perceived as "that's too easy" and have you look for another suspect; hence fooling you. I think they blew it by cutting this, and a couple of other scenes. A longer running time and Sly might've had a surprise hit on his hands; as it is now - I don't know. It co-stars Tom Berenger, Kris Kristofferson, Robert Prosky and Robert Patrick.

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

I am a big Stallone fan, and I have been waiting for its North American release forever. The buzz behind it is horrible though, and nobody wants to release it. Anything that is compared with "The Thing" has to at least be tolerable, so I think I will enjoy it. Thanks for the info Yowie.

3. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

The Thing? I dont see how anything with Stallone in it could be compared to this classic. I wouldnt mind seeing D-Tox (lame title, BTW) but without even seeing it I can say its no Thing. Maybe the atmosphere was similar, but c'mon. Is this ever getting a R1 release?

4. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Well, I'm obviously not comparing the two, that would be insane, and I wasn't saying it was a movie like "The Thing" - for one thing there's no monster - it wasn't even the atmosphere, it was the indoor/outdoor action scenes and the isolated surroundings that reminded me of "The Thing". When you get to see it you'll know what I mean. I'm told it hasn't even played in US theaters yet, maybe it won't at all, so they may still have time to shape it better because the way it is now it feels like a very short rough cut. I took another look at it and you simply don't care about the characters at all; least of all Stallone's, it's too bad, it could've been a good movie.

5. cjg

cjg Active Member

Lets see WB 2003 fall schedule Sat night 9 central Rocky the series

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

I finally checked out D-Tox, or Eye See You as it is called now, and it was alright. There were several moments remeniscent of The Thing, and they worked pretty well. Yowie is right though, you don't really end up caring for any of the characters throughout the film. I thought Stallone did a good job though, handling the emotional scenes rather well.

The flaw of the film is that it moves at such a quick pace that there is really no time to get involved in the characters or story. Clocking in at a scant 91 minutes, it could have been a very good film had another 20 or so minutes of exposition been included. Many of the twists and turns in the film don't really pan out because not enough time was devoted to their build up.

It is a real shame the characters weren't developed more, because this is an all-star cast of character actors. Richard Prosky, Robert Patrick, Tom Berenger, Charles Dutton, and Kris Kristofferson are all classy actors that were underused here.

The film begins with real promise; the first 15 or so minutes are really entertaining. As soon as the setting changes to the stark locales of Wyoming (actually British Columbia) the plot begins to evaporate. It baffles me that Universal never released this in theaters, it is better than a lot of dreck put out by Hollywood these days. Eye See You could have amounted to much more, but for what it is it is worth checking out.

Did anyone else pick this up on video?

7. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I like Stallone, but has he gone the strait to video market now? Driven was terrible!

8. robman795

robman795 Guest

I was going to buy this flick but I bought the new Margaret Cho DVD. What was I thinking:lol:

9. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

This is a good film. I have the DVD called "D-Tox" in europe and I found it a lot of fun. Nice dark colors, isolated environment, with a killer at large. The locale reminds a lot of the Thing - and the whole mood emulates it too. Very good job, I thought.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Stallone has really been taking a beating lately. Get Carter and Driven tanked at the B.O. and Eye See You didn't even make it there. Avenging Angelo, his new flick, looks like it could be going direct to video as well. I will continue to be the minority in saying that Stallone is a talented filmmaker, and I hope he gets another break back into stardom. Rocky VI should do it, and given that it is going to have a small budget like the first, it could be a huge success story for the Italian Stallion.

11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I think Stallone rocks, and yes he is quite talented! A scholar of Poe as well, if I remember correctly. When I lived in Charlottesville, VA I remember he came to specifically visit UVA to see Poe's dorm and to do some research of some sort.

12. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I can't remember the last good movie Stallone's been in. Which is a shame, cause he does have talent. Driven and the Get Carter remake should've been unreleased instead of Eye See You.
    Screw Rocky VI, Stallone should make a Cobra II. That'll put him back in the spotlight.:D

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Cobra 2 would be mighty cool :D

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Get Carter is a brilliant film. I was the one that bought it. Three friends, having seen it at my house, went on to buy it too (the last one being just last week). Still - I think that makes just four people who feel it is a brilliant piece of work.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

Hey come on guys, I though Driven was quite good. Full of lush cinematography and special effects, but it also had characters that I cared about. I think Stallone was really in his element in Driven, which is no surprise considering he wrote it, but still. Driven is actually one of my favorite Stallone movies in a long time.

I think Stallone talent-wise, has a much better chance at living a lengthy film career than Schwarzenegger. Stallone obviously has talent across the board, and I think he could make a great writer and character actor as soon as he gives up action. Who knows though, maybe he will stick with Rocky until he eventually fights the warden at a senior citizens home. ;)

16. Eye See You was just awful. I watched it last night and either my tolerance is slipping or i'm getting old. I found it ridiculous.
    :fire: Eye See You

17. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

You can pick this disc up so cheap in Australia (under US$10), I think I might grab it now.

18. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'm a bit late but I finally gave this a spin last night. Thought it was alright. Loved the setting and Stallone was surprisingly decent.
    All in all, fun Slasher-like entertainment. I might have to grab the Region B Blu-ray after all.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i saw a screener of it that was titled "detox" which i thought was a much better title than "eye see you"