Swamp Thing (2019) James Wan TV-show

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Jun 4, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Finally getting around to this. I'm a little taken aback by how gory it is. I was expecting something in the realm of the Arrow-verse shows, but this one is filled with nasty gore effects and nightmare visuals.

That said, I really loved the pilot, but the show has gone downhill pretty quickly and is becoming a bit of a slog. I'm only a little over halfway through, but I won't miss it when it's over. The locations and atmosphere are the best thing about it.

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I'm still going to get it on Blu-ray. I remember reviewing the first episode I believe for last year's October month and the dialog was edited for TV. So I assumed that some of the horror stuff would be as well since they were cutting and blurring swear words. But like you, I did like the swamp setting.

I assume the slog part might be the main character's back story and reasons for leaving the area. That really didn't seem entertaining to me.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah the setting and look are great. As are the effects and horror elements. Unfortunately the characters and their stories are way too far on the soap opera side and it drags it all down.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is a problem with all horror shows these days...

I loved the pilot episode, it was fastpaced and had awesome monster fx. I wish it had continued like that.

They should have made it into a 3 part mini series, with a proper ending instead.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The sad part is that they were only starting to scratch the surface of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run by the last two episodes of the 1st season. Had the series not been cancelled so abruptly, the 2nd season could have had some amazing source material to toy around with. If CW does opt to bring the show back for additional seasons, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out, because a lot of that material may have to be watered down for prime time network broadcasting.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked this up today 9.96 for dvd at Walmart on an end cap. I wish the original wes craven film would come back in print.