Silent Night, Bloody Night (Which version is the best one to buy?)

Discussion in 'General' started by Matt89, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I really want to see this movie, but all I can find are crappy budget releases. Has it ever been "officially" released by a studio? And does anyone know the best version of this movie to buy? (Uncut, best image quality, etc etc). Thanks!

~Matt

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

There is no official release of this title. From what I gather, the budget releases look about the same (terrible), so you'd be better off getting one of those. This film is quite underrated and eerie, though I admit I originally didn't give it much of a chance.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't think there is a "good version" currently on DVD. I've seen it on at least 3 different discs, and they all look about the same, poor quality.

I agree, I've always liked the film and would love to see a decent release...

4. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Yeah, all the budget discs pretty much look the same...like they were transfered from a print that had piece of sand paper run over it a few hundred times. The best looking I have actually seen is the ancient Paragon VHS, and even that looks pretty poor. I am hoping that maybe this may get released as part of the Elvira Movie Macabre collection, that print as I recall was decent.

5. Katatonia

I did a comparison between the Brentwood DVD version (Vault of Horror 10 Movie Set) and the Millcreek DVD version (Chilling Classics 50 Movie Pack), and here's what I found...

The Brentwood version runs at right over 81 minutes, and the Millcreek version runs slightly over 84 minutes. I've heard (unconfirmed) that the Millcreek came from an NTSC source, whereas most of the others (including Brentwood) come from the same PAL source, so that would explain the speed up with 2-3 minutes missing on the Brentwood DVD.

The Mill Creek version shows far more film speckles and dirt artifacts. It's also far brighter, but appears slightly cropped at the bottom of the frame compared to the Brentwood version.

The Brentwood version on the other hand is much darker and a little more blurry. It appears slightly cropped at the top of the frame compared to the Millcreek version.

Here's three screen comparisons I did between the two:

1. Mill Creek (top) and Brentwood (bottom)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mill Creek (top) and Brentwood (bottom)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mill Creek (top) and Brentwood (bottom)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone else has any other VHS/DVD versions of the film and wants to post some screencaps, feel free!

We really need a quality DVD release of this lost gem!!! :(

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

What do you use for screen capture software? I just checked out my Diamond release and it looks almost identical to the Brentwood. It also runs 81:26.

7. Katatonia

PowerDVD.

If the Diamond transfer looks similar to the Brentwood, it's probably one of the many that's originally sourced from PAL and thus has speed-up. The Mill Creek DVD definitely came sourced from different elements and appears to be from an NTSC source, thus running approx. 3 minutes longer.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I take it you didn't notice anything different content-wise when taking the screens?

When you take screens from powerdvd, do you get stretched sideways pics you have to fix before showing? I do, nearly everytime, and don't know why and fucking hate it. Other than that I love powerdvd.

9. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I hope Code Red can secure the rights to this release then maybe a better release will be in order. Then again, this was release by Cannon Films and therefore is either with MGM or in public domain limbo.

10. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Code Red would be a good company to release this. They're already done the public domain films Messiah of Evil and Devil Times Five, so another wouldn't hurt. Hehe. At least not for this film. A lot of PD flicks are terrible, but every once in a while, you find a film like Messiah or Bloody Night, and you wonder how a quality release does not exist.

11. Katatonia

No, I didn't notice anything content-wise that was different, but I didn't watch both versions fully through at the same time so I can't be sure. The Mill Creek version is definitely 3+ minutes longer for whatever reason however, that much is definite. I'm leaning towards the PAL/NTSC source.

In PowerDVD, you have to go into Configuration ----> Player ---> Advanced ---> Snapshot, and then modify the "Capture Aspect Ratio". If you choose a custom capture size, you'll need to check "Keep aspect ratio"

12. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

The copy I have of this film is.....awful. Hard to see most of the time.
    I just wish it had an offical release.....

13. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Ditto.

14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I've always been interested in this one. Too bad there's no good release of it.

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i still have the old paragon vhs of this

16. Katatonia

Just a note that the soundtrack has been officially released on CD as a limited edition of 1000.

http://www.howlinwolfrecords.com/new/store2.html

It's a crying shame that we still have no quality DVD release of this little gem of a film! Code Red? Synapse? Shout Factory?

17. Mutilated Prey

The fact we are getting a new CD release makes it even weirder there is no real DVD release. It's gotta be done eventually.

Kat - are you getting the CD?

18. Katatonia

Yes, I currently have it on order. I've always really enjoyed the score and the Mp3 sound samples I heard sounded great. Apparently much of the score was cut out of the finished film.

The film was released the same year (1974) as Black Christmas, but this was actually released earlier in the year. It was also filmed much earlier, in 1972. It's intriguing that the two films have several similarities in their plots. Some interesting trivia facts here.

It's depressing that it's such a solid 70's horror film...which gets better every time I see it...yet we must suffer watching it via these poor degraded transfers! I certainly hope someone gives the film the DVD release it deserves in the future. :nervous:

19. Mutilated Prey

I think I'm due for another viewing of "Zora", it's been about 2 years.

20. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I have the Brentwood release of this and it is so dark that I could never follow what was going on on-screen. As such, I have no appreciation of the film. Since many of you seem to enjoy it, I would be willing to give it another chance if I were ever able to find a suitable copy to watch! :)