Silent Hill...the movie!

Discussion in 'General' started by 2D4EVER, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Aside from the great score,imagery,gore, etc I hated this movie. The whole plot was absolutely horrible, and I am sorry but here I just couldn't except it. If you ask me this is almost equivalent to Ultraviolet which had amazing action scenes etc and horrible plot. The difference is Ultraviolet didn't take itself seriously so I found a way to enjoy it, and will probably enjoy it a hell of a lot more with the 30 minutes added onto the DVD release with gore,and more story.

2. Ash

Ash New Member

For everyone who complained about the dialogue and plot. It's based on a video game! Remember that. If you played the games, they featured pretty cheesey dialogue and the plots were confusing as hell.

3. Fidochippy

Fidochippy Guest

It was BRUTAL!

4. Surnom

Surnom New Member

I would love to see that!!!! Let's hope for the dvd to feature it

5. Wasn't it, when...
    The female cop was getting beaten to a pulp AND THEN burnt to a crisp alive?!?! Her skin boiling, bubbling and then catching fire. It was horrible and difficult to watch in my opinion.

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

This movie over 3 hour version?? f&&k that...<:

7. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'll chime in again to say that I saw this again and really found it a lot more enjoyable once the initial viewing had time to settle in. I fully grasped the plot and everything else made perfect sense. I'll still say that the dialogue is pretty damn bad and laughable and some choices are made pretty poorly, but overall it is better than most of what passes as a film these days. I hope the DVD has some great extra footage and I do hope we see a sequel in the future, just as long as Avary writes better dialogue and Gans directs.

8. I was recently talking with a friend about the possiblity of a film based off of part 2 and just how incredible that would be. That game still stands as one of my all time favorites, with its deeply tragic story and disturbing sexual overtones, but I'm not so sure that a film adaptation of the second game could work as a major studio production, especially if it's as faithful as this one. I think it might just be too much for the average viewer to appreciate.

9. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Just saw this tonight and have generally mixed feelings about it, but I think overall it was mostly a positive experience. I abosultely loved the first half of the movie. LOVED. In my opinion everything before the meeting up with Anna part was perfect; I was blown away by how much it was like the game, music taken right from the game, sound effects, even angles. The monsters were great, and everything about the rust/hell world was perfect. I was thinking 'damn, a whole movie of this? Talk about the best movie ever...'

Then they met Anna, who was a little poorly acted imo and had some awful lines. I could have lived with that, but then the whole cult/church thing took over the second act and slowed the movie down to a halt and didnt pick up again until the Nurses, and then the 'razor wire finale'. I've only played 2 and 3, so I dont know if thats part of the backstory from 1, but it was pretty lame.
    a spirit taking revenge on those that did it wrong, thats NEVER been done before. Should have just left it a mystery, much more scary and fascinating that way imo.
    I wish they had removed that portion entirely, cut out the 'why's' and just focused on the mothers struggle of finding her daughter and getting out. I didnt care for all the explainations and flashbacks, because thats half the charm of the town imo, the mystery of it....

First half of the movie, A+++. Second half, D-. Final grade, B.

btw, I loved how they used the intro song from 3 for the credits.

10. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I got around to seeing this one and enjoyed it alot more than I thought I would.

The monsters all looked so fake, so that sucked the punch out of a few scenes, but I did love the atmosphere and tension the film built up otherwise. The score was great too. I'll definitally pick up the DVD.

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Sony's Silent Hill DVD streets 08/22/06. There will be Unrated & R-Rated Editions. No word yet on extras and specs. Source: www.davisdvd.com

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Was just gonna post that.

Can't wait for this one! That'd be rad if we get the 4-hour first cut, hahaha.

13. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I love that they say "no extended version, for now".
    Of course there will be double-dipping. That's why there's library or rent for the first version.

15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

This came very late to us (premiered last night) and I took my little sister with me to see it. Well, she was really scared and loved it. Me ... I'm a bit torn. On the one hand, it looks phenomenal. Love the look and the atmosphere. The climax was pretty brutal and cool. Lots of cool scenes, lots to enjoy.

However ... I just can't get over the fact that for more than an hour there is absolutely no plot and then suddenly we get plot overload with a much too lengthy flashback scene. Exposition.com? What an awful way to write a film! Roger Avary should know better. Also, the lack of substantial plot for the majority of the running time means that the film is pretty boring during that time. Sorry, but Radha Mitchell isn't a good enough actress to carry a plotless film by herself (not that she's bad, mind you, but hardly the most commanding screen prescence).

Soooo, basically it's a boring film with cool imagery and some cool scenes and after the plot has been forcefed to us, thing actually get pretty interesting. A disappointment, but a minor one. Don't think I'll want to see it again. At least it was better than the abysmal Brotherhood of the Wolves ... ughhhhhhh.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I stand corrected, that's why there's the internet for the first version!:D
    I dl'd the full dvd, burned and watched it last night. I liked it better the second viewing as it all made sense this time. Haven't got to the extras yet, but the making-of's total just under 2 hours.
    (EDIT: Just checked these out without watching them, and it's only 54 minutes total. On dvdshrink and Nero it read titles 2-8 but 2 is play all, 3-8 are individual. Most dvds that lump titles like that together, they are all needed as chapter stops. More props to Sony for wasting space by having these on here twice.:rolleyes: At least I got rid of all the trailers and warnings.)
    Also I feel good knowing Sony won't get my cut of a rental.:evil:
    I might bend my boycott for an unrated cut now as I really enjoyed the theater version. Killer atmostphere and when the blood flies there's lots of it. Great movie, bad company.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  17. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Yeah, I think I'll wait until a special edition of this comes out before putting money down on it. I'm sure my friends will either rent it or buy it right away so I'll still be able to see it pretty quickly after release date.

18. Criswell

Criswell New Member

OK From Downunder, i just saw the film.....and i gotta say i thought that Lucio Fulci was making a comeback!!!!!!!!

The visuals and music are awesome...but gee it makes as much sense as many of the Euro horror films of the 80's. For instance............

1. What the hell was "Pyramid Head" all about???
    2. Was the cop the girls father????
    3. What was the real role of the father????......his role was totally irrelevant
    4. Why did the horror stop and start???

My biggest problem though was the shift in story from 'The Beyond' horror to 'Children of the Corn'/'Wicker Man ' plotting. It just did not fit. Also the explanation through home movie style exposition was just terrible.

Plus some of the dialouge was TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! poeple were laughing..........

And the massacre in the church scene was embarrassingly stupid......

Better than most game transfers............but still not great.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  19. betterdan

betterdan Guest

We rented this and here is my short review...

We got home and put the dvd in the player. We pushed play and it started (I skipped the menu part becuase we have all been there before and it's a rather boring story) We watched the beginning and then when the lady got to the town I left the room a little afterwards because I was bored. [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading!

20. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

It's funny that you should say that it was boring. I went to see this in the theater with a group of people from work and about half way through, one of them turns to me and said "this is so boring." I was pretty surprised since I didn't find it at all boring. I attributed this to the fact that he mostly watches action movies but I don't think that's your case. Anyway, I liked the movie but it wasn't a masterpiece by any means.