Shaw Brothers "Shawscope" box sets coming from Arrow

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by satans-sadists, Jul 9, 2021.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

[​IMG]

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

All over this.

I've seen most of these movies on the "ZiiEagle" my film festival owns. Challenge of the Masters was actually one of the more interesting films out there, as it was made in 1984 I believe, right as Jackie Chan was beginning to rise. Thus, there's an emphasis on stunts in addition to just the fights. I.E., you have your typical tea-house brawl, something we've seen a million times in Shaw Bros films, but now there's guys on the top floor taking a kick and falling on to a table on the first floor. You can definitely see a change in the filmmaking style, and I gotta believe it was because of Chan.

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

All of the titles in this set are from the 1970's. At least four of the titles have been released on blu-ray already. That didn't stop me from double dipping for the other films.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yep. My mistake. Movie I was thinking of (from 84) was called Opium and the Kung Fu Master.

Ya gotta admit, all these titles start to run together at some point. Hands of Death, Fist of Intrigue, Genitals of Fury, etc etc

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Shaw made about 1000 movies and a lot of them had basically the same plot. I enjoy martial arts films mostly starting from the late 70's on. Some of the earlier films just didn't have the choreography that I enjoy. When they started using Kuo Chui, Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng, Lo Mang, etc in their acrobatic martial arts choreography that is the period I prefer. Hong Kong films in the mid 80's to early 90's had some truly magnificent fight scenes which certainly were inspired from Shaw.

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I know what you mean. Like I mentioned, I have access to a "ZiiEagle", which contains about 700 Shaw Bros films from the 60s all the way up to the early 2000s. I watched one movie, The Black Butterfly, from 1968 and really loved the storyline. But man, the martial arts were average at best. They really didn't take off till the 70s. But then, yes, they did get stale, recycling a lot of the same old stories. And obviously the sets!

That's why I mention that '84 film as an interesting outlier, as it's clearly influenced by the Golden Harvest films that were becoming more popular in terms of martial arts cinema.

(oh, and Shaw Bros spy films? Horrible. That's one genre best left to the Japanese)