Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's a nice set, they seem to have given it the best quality they could given the available materials. For all that it contains, the box is a bargain.

Oddly with Severin, their Boxset releases generally tend to have good quality control... it's their single releases where they always tend to screw up things up.

Maybe the 4K disc looks better for Blood for Dracula, and they just fucked the HDR to SDR conversion or something... but I'm not liking the Blu-ray's appearance with what I'm seeing now in that review comparison.

2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I don't want to read anything further about Blood For Dracula. I took a chance on this by blind-buying a copy, which wasn't cheap. Again, got swept up in all the praise and camaraderie this caused and I just think I'll be ultimately let down. We'll see but my instincts are usually accurate. Have a feeling it'll just be some pretentious art house nonsense.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

To me, Blood for Dracula feels more like a parody of arthouse movies, thanks to the comedy and over the top acting/violence :D

Katatonia and hots4 like this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I hope it's better than Flesh for Frankenstein. Watched it last night and while it had some pretty funny moments and a lot of decent weird, it still felt slightly lacking.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Thanks for the feedback. I went back & added Massacre in Dinosaur Valley to my existing order. You're right, a title like that should deliver upon the concept. I am fine with the tamer content you referenced. Slave of the Cannibal God is the only hardcore cannibal film I own. Like some things about it, hate others - most of all the real animal killings. Devil Hunter is going to wait. I'm a big fan of Jess Franco films. Just didn't want the film to drown in cannibal gore and especially no real animal cruelty. Spent more than I wanted to on Severin's sale and Devil Hunter just didn't make the cut this time.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They aren't weaker; they are more accurate to the intended look. All the previous releases of the films have had the contrast and saturation digitally cranked and you're just used to seeing it that way.

Example - look at the shadow in Joe's hair; it has completely crushed blacks on all previous releases and loses all detail, but black levels are correct and detail is visible on the Severin release:

Severin: http://mondo-digital.com/dracbloodbd3.jpg

Cinema Cult older transfer: http://mondo-digital.com/dracbloodaus3.jpg

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I had $150 worth of stuff in my cart during the day at work yesterday, but then forgot to actually check out. Oops!

I was gonna get:

Blood for Dracula
    Retribution
    Nosferatu in Venice
    All the Colors of the Dark
    The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Based on the stills you linked, I still prefer the Cinema Cult version.

That said, I bought the Severin anyway, because my only version is the Criterion laserdisc (Widescreen Review ranked the picture quality 2/5, meaning it was a below average LASERDISC, so it goes without saying the Severin blu will be a massive upgrade no matter what).

Stills, of course, are not a perfect way of determining PQ, so we'll see how it all looks when I see it in action.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If you didn't like the overall ironic nature of Frankenstein, you might well be disappointed in Dracula. It's more of that, and less of the gore. A lot less.

Darga my old pal, if there's one thing I've learned about buying from Severin over the years, it's that you'll always be able to get the title you want later, and cheaper. I kick myself for how much I paid for Axe/Kidnapped Coed, and the Kung Fu Trailers of Fury discs, much like I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for paying $45 for Blood for Dracula

10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I actually like that one a lot. The animal scenes are awful. I believe this is the one where a python grabs a monkey and the monkey is desperately trying to dislodge the pythons jaws with its tiny hands. Heartbreaking. I'd tell myself that it's nature's way, but I remember feeling that the whole scene felt somehow staged. As reprehensible as these scenes are though, and as uncomfortable as I feel watching them, they are also a testament of a (thankfully) bygone era of exploitation cinema. No cancel culture here. Oh, and Ursula Andress is enrobed in honey or mud or something. I'm a gay dude, so I wasn't titillated, but I did find it pretty hilarious.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The ironic nature of the film was indeed funny, I just felt the story was bit lacking. Udo was the highlight and scenes without him felt a lot less interesting and fun. I also didn't think the film was all that gory outside of a few scattered moments. I'm still going to check out Dracula regardless.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That's cool. I think despite the "thrown together" nature of Dracula (as I previously referred to it), it does have a stronger story. Frankenstein is mostly about the asexual monster, and in the end it's just how many bodies can we get in that lab and how many body parts can jut out of the screen in 3-D.

Dracula does rely on a story a little more, as while Udo moans that "the blood of these whores is killing me", there are indeed suitable victims for him at the DiFiore estate. Will he figure it out? Will the DiFiores figure out what Dracula is really seeking? And what's the best way to keep a virtuous DiFiore safe?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Not the only animal killed for real, but yes, this is the same film. On the brighter side, Ursula Andress looked hot getting nude at age 42 in this.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Severin post on Facebook discussing Blood for Dracula:

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, that's why you don't trust these people that are in a rush to go out and shit on something.

russweiss and satans-sadists like this.
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are fans out there who took it too far, but considering they're the ones who sent out the wrong discs, they probably could have been a little more professional in their response. There was legitimate cause for concern, and it was created entirely by them. Let's face it, it's not like Severin has the best track record (see THE CHANGELING V3 fiasco).

loutoad23 likes this.
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

No kidding... I mean when you send out review discs, it's probably a damn good idea to make sure they will be representative of the actual quality of the product that's going to be released. Don't send out a friggin' "rejected BD-R check disc" and then be surprised that people would criticize it!

That still pisses me off about The Changeling...

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I still haven’t bought anything by them since The Changeling! I’m close to caving on the Lee set but the local Bull Moose hasn’t gotten any in stock yet so that hasn’t been a huge temptation yet. Raiders of Atlantis is going to be hard to pass up to as I’ve been wanting that for over a decade now.

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Oh really? ;)

From Facebook:
    "That said, we can't come out too strong against potential critics, as we do have a bit of egg on our faces in that the Blu check disc that was sent out for review, in a hasty effort to get them reviewed before/during the sale, was actually an earlier rejected BD-R check disc with the wrong color space used for the feature output. Rest assured the final disc will be beautiful and vibrant. None of the finished pressed discs that will be sent out with sale orders will have the desaturated color scheme. "

loutoad23, hots4 and Katatonia like this.
  20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Haha, yeah. Even though I was buying the Severin release no matter what, I tried to find an "improvement" in those (incorrect) screen grabs and just couldn't see it.

My plan was to buy the Severin and see how it actually looked in play vs. uploaded internet stills, and if I still thought it seemed dull, then I'd see about getting that Cinema Cult disc off of the Bay or something. You really need to see a disc in motion to assess it accurately, screen shots do not always do it justice.

That said, I do see what MorallySound was saying. As discussed ad nauseum on home theater calibration discs, when you push the contrast to make things look more "vibrant", there's a definite loss of detail. I was hoping that if the Severin disc was indeed as dull as it looked in those screen grabs, it would be offset by an increase in clarity vs. previous discs. Luckily though, it's not the case. We should still get the more vibrant colors, and hopefully with an increase in detail as well.