Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/mfelsher/posts/10226182193887330

2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Since I haven't seen any reviews here's almost 500MB of caps from The Dungeon of Andy Milligan:

The Ghastly Ones
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Body Beneath
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nightbirds
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Torture Dungeon
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bloodthirsty Butchers
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Rats are Coming! The Werewolves are Here!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Curse of the Full Moon
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Man With 2 Heads
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guru, The Mad Monk (4:3)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Guru, The Mad Monk (16:9)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

zbinks, russweiss, Katatonia and 2 others like this.
  3. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Legacy of Blood
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Legacy of Horror
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fleshpot on 42nd Street
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seeds of Sin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carnage
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blood
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Toga Party
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Forgot to cap the reel from The Filthy Five, maybe later or tomorrow; this took way too long!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow f.ramses if I could do a "LOVE" instead of like I would. For the undecided there's 160~ left... Mine shipped surprisingly early as I waited a few days before ordering it.

I'd really like to know how well this works out for Severin because there's a lot of movies in this same situation. I find it hard to hate on Severin with the little things they do like this.

f.ramses likes this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Great job f.ramses !!! :eek:

My Milligan set is due to arrive on Tuesday it looks by the tracking number.

f.ramses likes this.
  6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Glad people enjoyed the caps, I was pretty excited about this release and figured why not do them since I had the time and would probably want to have a look at them if I was still waiting for mine.
    Mine wound up showing up a bit earlier than expected, which worked out great because that was early Saturday morning. Over the weekend I watched most of the set, even the extras even though I don’t normally watch stuff like that. I had the caps for the Code Red Milligan BDs on the HTPC while I checked this out so I compared a bit and these are a definite upgrade over those as colors looked a lot more vivid and there was also more picture information since they weren’t cropped to 16:9. For the most part everything looked great and then on top of that several movies were previously unreleased versions, unfortunately these movies weren’t fresh enough in my head for me to notice many differences. Carnage and Legacy of Horror were particularly nice to get since I’ve never seen either in anything other than VHS quality and seeing them like this was like seeing them for the first time, they were also a lot of fun to revisit. I never realized just how much of a remake of The Ghastly Ones Legacy of Blood was until I watched them back to back, they’re practically word for word.
    My only complaint about the set is the book that holds the discs, some of the pages are pretty tight (kind of like a lot of their slipcovers…) and it takes a fair amount of effort just to push some of the discs most of the way in. I’ll probably get one of those 10 disc Viva Elite cases and keep the discs in there. All in all a really fantastic set and with it's release there is now only one completed Milligan film that isn't on BD!

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Blu-ray.com reviews Patrick Still Lives: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Patrick-Still-Lives-Blu-ray/277156/#Review

...and the reviewer didn't much care for it. I had the same reaction. It's exploitive, which I would normally consider a plus, but it's also lean on mood, style, and story. People just get offed one by one without advancing the narrative. Every now and then, someone gets into an argument or a fight to camouflage that nothing much is happening. I had much more fun with Giallo in Venice by the same director.

Katatonia likes this.
  8. Katatonia

I just received my set earlier, and some of the discs do go in easier than others. It seemed like the Adamson set was more balanced as far as all of the disc holders. It's no big deal though, and certainly not as bad as some of their Slipcovers are. I also kind of had to press in the "spine" this time for the front page glued onto the cover to fully flip back.

Otherwise, all of the discs are correct and seem to be fine without any visible bad scratches or anything. One disc had a fingerprint on it (easily wiped off) and another had a small "dot" on it, which looks just like a manufacturing thing you do see every once in a while... I think it should be fine, but I'm running the disc through DVDInfoPro for any CRC/surface errors just to be safe.

Severin does pack things extremely well with all of the packing peanuts in the box... you gotta give them props for that. They're even better than Vinegar Syndrome (not that I've ever received anything damaged from them) these days.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

VS doesn't use packing peanuts but all my orders do arrive in cardboard boxes with bubble wrap around the movies. Severin ships in cardboard boxes with the packing peanuts. Honestly I don't think one is better than the other.

10. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

This gives me hope for ICED and all other movies post-produced on videotape. Bill Olsen always makes it sound like an impossible task but if someone is willing to go through the process, like the above example, then it can be done.

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Looks like Ray Dennis Steckler may be in line to get a box set of his own.

https://www.facebook.com/mediablastersinc/posts/616303446435673

Severin purchased a 4K film scanner a while back, and that's probably a key reason to why they can even consider projects like this or their comprehensive Adamson / Milligan boxsets. Having to utilize an outside company to scan everything and re-edit a film, from scratch, would probably be so cost-prohibitive that the task probably would be virtually impossible.

russweiss and hots4 like this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Was not expecting a slipcover on Perdita Durango. I thought those were only direct thru Severin now?

Don't think I've gotten one since Burial Ground or Eaten Alive. Oh, and the limited Killer Crocodile.

16. Katatonia

Both Perdita Durango and Day of the Beast include a Slipcover everywhere. It's only when they list them as being a Severin store exclusive...

17. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Speaking of slipcovers, Grizzly arrived today and the slipcover is like a second skin. It's almost impossible to get the case out without prying it out with your fingernails. Very annoying.

Steel76, fceurich39 and Katatonia like this.
  18. Katatonia

I hate Severin Slipcovers anymore, it seems like 50% of them are that way now. Nosferatu in Venice had the tightest Slipcover I've ever encountered...you practically needed pliers to get it off.

19. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

It seemed like someday I might rip one of their overly tight slipcovers so I removed them all except for one (Buried Alive), months later it was coming unglued. Not sure if it was just something with the glue itself but I figure it’s also possible it was due to pressure from it being on so tight since the ones I removed are fine.

20. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Are Severin responsive at all to feedback on social media? If I thought it would make a difference I would say something on Facebook about the tight slips but I've heard rumors they like to selectively delete comments they may deem negative. I'm not on facebook much but it seems to be the only way companies interact with customers these days. Apart from being flimsy, their slips are too tight. Maybe they should redirect some of the focus on stickers and pasties and concentrate on finding a way to improve the quality of the slipcovers. Or, like I like to call them, shitcovers.

BTW, I got a bunch of stuff preordered direct from them but nothing has shipped yet. Are they done shipping those stupid Gilligan sets yet?

Zombie Dude likes this.