Second Sight (UK): Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Martin (1978)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Originally I had ordered from Zavvi but then it was pointed out that it was less expensive through Base so I cancelled that order and placed a new one. When Diabolik put up pre-orders I figured it couldn't hurt to order another set and I'm very glad I did.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Did they just "guess" that though, or did they actually have some factual information that it's true?

I'm glad I ordered it from Diabolik when I had the chance. When they said they could only get a limited number of copies and would only have it available for a few days... you just knew there were going to be issues importing these.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Is this for both the UHD and Blu-ray?
    Base says they're being pressured by suppliers to follow European distribution agreements so Zavvi is certainly under similar pressure. Interestingly the pressure before now seemed to be most on UHD which Amazon.uk is refusing to send to the US but is shipping the Blu-ray set. So the original sticking point would seem to be the Region coding which UHD does not have. We'll see what Amazon.uk does too because if they cancel the Blu-ray's they were going to sell to the US that would mean a broader pressure.

I don't doubt Richard Rubinstein is the real source behind these legal manuevers. His stubbornness regarding the worth of the franchise echoes Wade Williams and Susan Hart's in more ways than one so I don't doubt he's using some legal muscle to preserve his precieved value of territory rights. Especially after the Italian UHD has gone global.

I question if Diabolik will be able to follow through as well now as their own supplier would be under equal pressure.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Someone asked them yesterday on twitter if there were any issues with them getting the set, and they responded "None that we are aware of"

buck135, russweiss and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. russweiss

Amazon UK is still accepting orders for the blu-ray version as well so hopefully they will also be able to ship.

6. russweiss

As of a few minutes ago Amazon UK was accepting orders for the 4K version to ship overseas.

X-human likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Done!

I'll have to think about what I want to do with my Zavvi order as that included Crash (which Amazon.co.uk does not yet allow). Amazon is noticeably cheaper even with S&H so I may cancel Zavvi in anticipation of getting Crash from Amazon for a still cheaper price.

8. russweiss

I would be wary of cancelling orders as there isn't any guarantee that Amazon will ship. I cancelled my Zavvi order and went with Base who were kind enough to cancel my order over 4 months after I placed it.

X-human likes this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

True dat. And nice work on the heads up russ. Not many rumbles on the web yet for this.

I placed my Zavvi order with some other stuff which shipped so the S&H is already sunk. My Amazon order however was a solo quick pull of the trigger.

I can probably sell the UHD set if it comes down to it. The Italian UHD was going for a good amount stateside. That there's not region coding is a real benefit for resale and since it'll be in English all the better.

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I took a chance and ordered from Amazon UK. I pre-ordered the UHD. I don't even know what that is - seriously. I have a 720p tv and nothing more. I'll figure out the rest later. I figure the region free code was a better option for me. I plan on getting the 4K of "House by the Cemetery" (and NOT the blu ray) so I guess it's a good start. As long as this 4k player or TV can downcovert nicely, it'll be good. Recommendations and advice is welcomed when it comes to this UHD thing.

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Diabolik better not cancel orders but, in case they do, I have a backup plan. Someone I'm cool with from Blu-ray.com who lives in the UK has agreed to order me a copy and ship it to me. I've already paid him so if I end up with two copies of the UHD set I can always sell the other. I might actually keep it. As far as Diabolik, I think anyone who ordered from them should be safe. I'm WAY more excited about DotD than Friday the 13th.

12. Katatonia

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The box doesn't look as big as I imagined it. They're packing a lot of stuff into that thing. Is that a pull-up top a la Vinegar Syndrome?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Katatonia

It looks that way, yes.

15. Katatonia

First "video" review:

gobad2003, russweiss and sinister like this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not sure I recommend a watch as the "video" description starts at 8:19, is about two minutes, and is rather general but calls out a few moments that make it worth the extra definition. But his second video about the extras may be worth watching.

It's interesting that the Argento cut is a little "pink" or warm but from what I understood Second Sight were doing three unique restorations so variation can be expected.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. sinister

sinister Active Member

Just got this mail, which confirms what we already thought, release date of November 16th.

Katatonia likes this.
  18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, that they're printing up double the amount of UHD is fascinating. I'm guessing that's based on the pre-order requests. We may even see a situation someday where DVD and UHD outsells Blu-ray. But I wonder if in this case it's just UHD leaning collectors doubling their own orders as I have between Zavvi and Amazon.co.uk.

All my other Zavvi items ordered with Dawn have arrived; some quickly, some not so quickly. We shall see how long Dawn takes and it'll be something of a race between Zavvi and Amazon.co.uk.

hots4 likes this.
  20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I agree, it is fascinating. Also that's a lot of units in this day and age for a limited edition!

Zombie Dude likes this.