Second Sight (UK): Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Martin (1978)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I put this up on blu-ray.com, but I thought I'd post it here as well.

I'm selling my Second Sight Dawn of the Dead 4K and Blu-ray sets.

I purchased two of each, one from Zavvi, the other from Diabolik for fear that one of the orders had issues (Base) or got lost in the mail. They all arrived around the same time.

One of the sets (can't recall off the top of my head) has a small dent on one of the sides. Both are sealed and haven't been opened.

I am looking to sell both together within the U.S. I paid $210 total, and am asking $250 (shipping included). PM me if interested with your email, so that I can send you photos.

All sales final.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

My PS4's power cord worked with the Samsung UHD player but I lost the remote! Finally found it. And MorallySound convinced me to break my one edition open and watch it before the Zavvi order arrives (come what may).

DAMN! I mean, I was just watching the UHD down converted to my 1080p plasma... But DAMN! From the very start with the carpet wall it was a stunner. The observation about the green army helmet is spot on; I recall that being toy green before but now it looks like a standard issue army helmet. Zombie make up doesn't look so pancake now. The blood is a nice subtle shade of red. I didn't even second guess the shade of blood until towards the end of the movie while the raiders were in the mall and I remembered the critiques. It just feels "right." There's that one raider getting his neck bitten that still looks fake as hell, but otherwise all the SFX are notably better off now with this color timing. Even the out of focus shot of the tommy gun guy getting encircled looked like an improvement.

But man, after living through this pandemic, I'm shocked how accurate this film is. I'm no longer laughing at how stupid people were for jeering at the scientists. If anything the film under estimated the stupidity of people. And we know now that the mall would have been raided at a drop of a hat, not months later.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I have found myself going "DUMMIES. DUMMIES. DUMMIES" multiple times in response to peoples' actions this year.

Matt89, sinister, Cooperkill and 3 others like this.
  6. sinister

sinister Active Member

^^ There's a good new interview with the "Dummies, Dummies, Dummies" guy on the extras disc, worth a watch.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Well, I must have willed it into showing up finally because I'd been awaiting my Zavvi order since it shipped on November 13th with bated breath - and with no tracking it made it excruciating to go day after day with no package... I was itching for it so I actually watched my HBO Home Video VHS last night of the movie and then what do you know - today it finally shows up and arrived all in one piece! I am elated! I can sleep easy! Now I only have to get a 4K TV and player in 2021 before I can watch the movies though hahaha. But it's here! IT'S FINALLY HERE! (So for those of you still waiting on your Zavvi orders, they will show up!)

othervoice1 likes this.
  8. russweiss

As soon as you get a player you can still watch it on your HD TV but only in 1080P.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yup, but I'm planning to upgrade both TV and player at the same time.

10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm glad you got yours, my friend and I both had ours shipped from Zavvi and mine showed up in like a week but theirs still hasn't. I'll relay your post to them so that they don't give up hope!

MorallySound likes this.
  11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I still have an unopened copy of the SS Dawn standard blu-ray set that I'm looking to sell. The outside box does have a small dent on the left side, but otherwise it looks fine (see photo). Will ship within the US only via UPS for $150 (shipping included). PM me if interested. 20210101_071049.jpg

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Looks like an awesome 4k set - kinda kicking myself for not ordering one myself. Hopefully something will get released in the US at some point in 4k for this.

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'm sure the non-limited edition release of this is just round the corner.

Zombie Dude, othervoice1 and Steel76 like this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

My Zavvi order arrived today with a stamp stating, "Misdirected to Tailand." So there's your problem!

The box was a little beat up but the Dawn set was wrapped thickly in bubble wrap so if anything it's slightly better than my Amazon.co.uk order so I'm glad I cracked mine open when I did. I'll see what the sales on eBay are like but it seems to me that shortly after Christmas is a bad time to sell. So I'll wait a little while. But not too long, I suspect an announcement soon from Second Sight of a standard edition (and maybe even another premium edition of some unique configuration) which will lower the resale price for the short term. Long term I expect Dawn UHD Limited to increase, as the AB DVD set held its value even when AB release its Blu-ray and we saw many waves of Dawn releases in Japan and Europe. But this isn't a long term investment for me. I just wanted to secure my copy, and if I can resell my other copy and break even I'll chalk that off as a win. But I think I can do a little better than that.

MorallySound and russweiss like this.
  15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Second Sight on FB:

"We will be announcing a date for the non-Limited Edition releases later this week.
    From our Limited Edition run of 18,000 UHD and 6,000 Blu-ray we have just 400 left in stock of each format, going quickly but still time to order!"

Glad I waited for this.
    Guessing it's a mars-april release.

16. russweiss

That is actually a higher limited edition run than I originally thought. Even with 18K copies pressed this is a title that is likely to continue going up in value even if it drops for a bit with a standard edition getting released. Vinegar Syndrome and Arrow limited titles are a good example of this. They have standard edition releases but the limited ones still increase.

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  17. Steel76

Yeah, I was surprised that they made so many more of the UHD edition.
    Happy to see that the format is doing so well, when it comes to classic horror movies.
    I expect to see many more of their titles on the format in the near future.

Katatonia and Myron Breck like this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

18,000 run WOW! And it sold out very quickly. I know this is a massive title but those are some impressive numbers, especially when you consider the cosy of this set.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. Steel76

Zombie Dude and hots4 like this.
  20. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Has the stuff I wanted. I had plenty of opportunity to pull the trigger on the limited set, but couldn't justify the cost for a box of extra bling I'd mostly just look at once and then try to find room for. For the same amount of space, and less money, I can get this set and slide it next to my Anchor Bay disk and always have a choice of which color timing to watch.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.