Screw you!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Hellbilly, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Post here to complain about companies screwing up Blu-ray releases, intentional or not, in some way or the other.
    I'm giving Anchor Bay/Starz the finger today for not including a menu on their The Lost release. I was aware of that before I bought the disc and the fact that AB did not include menus on other releases as well but still, here's to you, AB:

:fuck:

I could've skipped this release but I really wanted it on Blu-ray and the AB disc was the only option :mad:

2. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

A big fuck you to grocery stores who won't sell strawberry pie. Seriously, where does one go to get a strawberry pie these days?

3. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

WB for not including an actual menu on the Trick r Treat Blu

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The biggest blu-ray intentional screw-up that I'm upset about is The French Connection. I can only hope that Fox will rectify this mistake on Friedkins part by issuing a new disc in the near future.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  5. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I have this disc... What's wrong with it? I know the color-timing is different, but it was director approved.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: Yep, Anchor Bay does that on many of their Blu-ray releases. If it's a lesser known title, be assured that they'll include no menu, no extras, and no subtitles.

There is a Pop-Up menu though. Warner does that on many of their Blu-rays.

I'll say SCREW YOU! (again) to Magnolia Home Entertainment. Thanks for not offering a disc replacement program on your admitted screw-up of the Let the Right One In DVD/Blu-ray. Fuckers!

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

That's the first thing that came to my mind. I enjoy the film enough that I will double dip for the proper subtitles, but they could have offered some kind of discount or something.

8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Well, the most recent "Screw You" I can think of if to Universal for their terrible release of the Battlestar Galactica series on Blu. The initial set not only had terrible packaging but on top of that no episode list. So, if you wanted to watch a specific episode from any of the four years, you not only have to remember what season it was in, but try to guess what disc it is going to be on. Not a lot of fun for a set that consists of 20 discs and over 80 episodes.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I do prefer this to unskippable, spoiler filled menus that force you to wait 30 seconds or more before doing anything, with volume blarring twice as loud as anything in the film, making me or Stacy turn it down and have to fuck with it again when we can finally start the fucking flick. :fuck:

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

German Blu-ray discs that ignore the English Language and no subtitles setting on my player. Most skip the menu, others let you change the Language in the menu but when you start the film it magically switches back to German audio because the only way to change language is with the remote. Very annoying that, especially when there is dialogue right at the beginning of the movie like The Thaw for example.

11. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

see, I'd rather have that, because it never fails whenever I put the disc in my PS3 to start it up and get it going THEN my wife decides she wants to get some snacks and go outside quick for a smoke. LOL. See, then I got some filler time and a dead end stop on a menu where I can start it whenever. Although to specify, I mean a short static menu not one that requires an animated sequence with a 10 second delay between screens.

12. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

The new packaging is much better. And Universal stepped to the plate and offered an exchange program for buyers of the old packaging. Not that big of a "screw you."

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Still, we always go for snacks or smokes too, usually we pick what we want to watch, load it, start it and pause, then do our shit so we actually have the movie waiting for us when we come back in from that smoke. Or if it has 20 minutes of trailers, pop it in and go smoke while the trailers play.

Static menus with poster art is always prefered, it's how I author all my custom DVDs and will author custom BD's when that time comes.:)

On the flip side of the thread, big props to Paramount for the Gladiator BD replacment program. Got my better blu within 3 weeks of sending the old one out.:banana:
    This is what Magnolia should've done for Let the Right One In (and maybe Fox will do for Predator one day :lol:). Speaking of that, the dvds at Best Buy now all have the theatrical subs, the blu's are still the old ones without.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  14. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Oh, that's cool. I didn't know about the exchange program. Thanks.

15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Shit! Wouldn't you know it. It this one of these fucked up releases that just sort of starts and ends without anything?

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

No, the movie starts when you put the disc in, but when it ends it goes to a special features menu. You can also access the special features menu anytime by pressing the menu button.

A lot of the Warner Bros blu-rays are like this, actually.

17. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Every HD DVD by Warner started the movie right away. You can access everything during the movie via the pop-up menu. I for one prefer it that way (although on some titles it defaulted to a Dolby Digital track, instead of the TrueHD track), and Warner continued this on Blu-ray. Seems lately they've changed their minds though.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Friedkin changed the color-timing like you mentioned. The cinematographer is livid, apparently the entire look of the film has changed. There was some fear that he was going to do the same thing to The Exorcist blu-ray as well.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I guess we can add Echo Bridge to the Screw You list.