Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Aug 24, 2015.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Red band trailer here. Looks like it'll be fun!

2. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Saw this earlier. Looks good. I hope all the money shots aren't in the trailer.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, saw the trailer the other day and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm pretty much over the zombie genre, but this looks like a lot of fun!

This and the latest Paranormal Activity are part of a little experimental distribution tactic from Paramount where both movies will be available on VOD just 17 days after they leave theaters.

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Had a few solid laughs at that trailer. Roll on, Halloween.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm probably going to catch shit for this, but I couldn't even make it halfway through the trailer. It's Zombie Strippers meets Zombieland with a hip rap soundtrack. Maybe I'm getting too old or maybe the zombie genre is so played out that I just can't enjoy it anymore.

I have a great Monroeville Mall shirt that I purchased at the Living Dead museum in Evans City, PA last year. I can't bring myself to wear it because there is so much zombie shit everywhere. There's at least three Walking Dead shows that I'm aware of. I'm not sure AMC has any other shows.

In the mid 80's through most of the 90's, you were laughed at for liking zombie films. Now there's fucking zombie walks.

Can I be the only one that wants this genre to slip into a moritorium until there's another 28 Days Later type film to properly revive it in another 10 years?

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Buck if you haven't seen Wyrmwood give it a view. I agree with you for the most part on the zombie genre but I enjoyed that one.

maskull, Zombie Dude and buck135 like this.
  7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. Your avatar reminded me how great it was to see zombies again in Resident Evil after a long absence on film.

8. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

Ooh, Zombie cats!

9. CPT HOOK

Wow, so this is a little weird. Apparently Paramount's VOD tactic on this and the new Paranormal Activity pissed off some of the major theater chains and they are refusing to play either movie. It's not playing locally at all, despite there being ads all over TV for it. Closest theaters are over an hour away.

I imagine it will be the same story with Scouts. I might make the trip for that one, we'll see how I feel next weekend. But this will be the first Paranormal Activity movie I've missed theatrically (not that it was something I looked forward to every year, I would usually just go to go).

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

That explains why Paranormal Activity isn't at any of the Regal theaters. Luckily I have tons of theaters withing 10-15 miles of my house, so I'll be able to see both movies at one of my regular theaters. Annoying though as I have a Regal less than a mile from where I work.

11. CPT HOOK

Now in theaters. I'm headed out to see it tonight.

Anyone else going?

12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'll be doing a double feature of this and Freaks of Nature tomorrow.

13. CPT HOOK

I thought it was good gory fun with a hard R-rating. I'm sure a lot of people will complain that the humor is too crass and juvenile, but you could have figured that out from the trailer. The three scouts were all very likable, as well as Denise the cocktail waitress. The other girl, Kendall, plays pretty much the exact same role she played in Goosebumps (and has the same minimal screentime). In fact, a lot of reviews have been comparing the Goosebumps movie to The Monster Squad, but this felt way more in the spirit of Monster Squad to me.

I have to wonder if the trampoline scene was an intentional nod to the old SNES games Zombies Ate My Neighbors? In fact, a big chunk of the movie feels like an adaptation of the game.

Not much else to say, the movie is just plain fun. Also, there's a brief little bonus scene midway through the end credits, just a heads up for those who are quick to leave the theater when the lights go up.

I had the entire theater to myself, which was fun for me, but unfortunately doesn't bode well for the weekend's box office. Bit of a bummer, would like to see fun well-intentioned horror perform well.

14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well didn't this movie come out from fucking nowhere?!?
    I had never heard about it before, but when I stumbled upon it a couple of hour ago, I thought it look pretty interesting, even though it involves zombies.
    I am SO sick and tired of Zombie movies, but THIS one was amazing!!

The movie doesn't try to emulate an 80:s movie, it just FEELS like something that could have come out in 1987.
    And yes, it really did remind me of movies like Monster Squad, but also a bit of Return of the Living Dead part 2 etc.
    All the lead characters, even the douche among the nerdy scouts, are very likable, so you don't want any of them to end up as zombie dinner.
    And the hot girls, except for one, actually have brains and a personality. Pretty rare these days :D
    The look of the zombies was great as well. And most of the FX are practical. The ones that use CGI, is very well done, and not annoying, like in Ash VS Evil Dead.
    There is actually one slow-mo CGI head explosion that was awesome. Which is pretty rare when it comes to CGI gore.
    I loved the animatronic cat-zombie :D

The movie is very well made, on a proper budget, with an pretty epic action/suspense score.
    I missed that the movie went to theaters over here in Sweden last month, would have loved to watch it on the big screen with an audience.

This and Final Girls, gives me new hope for the horror comedy genre.

A very strong 4 out of 5 :)

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well you couldn't be more wrong ;)

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I usually am. I was referring to the trailer, but I'm glad the film works for many of you.

17. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Just finished this and it was great. Tons of fun with great laughs and many nods to horror favorites.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Enjoyed it a lot, good fun, nice gore, decent CGI, had a smile on my face all the way through.

19. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Loved the name of the strip club. I almost shot soda out my nose from that one.

Steel76 and soxfan666 like this.
  20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Although this wasn't nearly as unique or clever as other horror comedies from this year, I found this quite enjoyable. Plenty of gore, high energy, lots of action, and a great sense of wit that not enough Hollywood comedies can seem to muster up these days. It's not short of faults at the same time, it does have a very structured, paint by numbers approach to the story telling and the characters are very one dimensional. But even with those faults this is still something I can recommend.