Scorpion Releasing Goes Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Jul 20, 2012.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just realized Sleepless isn't a new announcement but a standard release so I've edited my post to avoid confusion.

That would be $19.50.

At $64.99 these work out to be $16.25 each. So $3.25 less on each and a total savings of $13.00. I'm missing out on The Sect so that stock will probably hold out. Maybe a similar (or better) price will be down the road.

Very literally if they waited six months, even three months, I'd shrug and say "oh well," but this is less than thirty days so it rankles. I'm half tempted to pick these up, sit on them, and probably make some money on eBay. But I've got too many old discs to sell now to bother with intentionally "investing" in these to resell later and hopefully do better than break even.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I wonder if the Argento 4 pak includes slipcovers?

3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I tried to sit through this movie one night a few months ago from an old VHS rip I have. Man, I got to tell you it was tough. Granted I didn’t make it all the way to the end, and it was in Spanish w/ subs, but what I did there really wasn’t a whole lot going on.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I like the film, it's quite unique, but if you're going in expecting a Jaws-type action film you'll be thoroughly disappointed as that's definitely not what it is... It's 3-way relationship melodrama about two competing shark hunters and Susan George. Though if you are looking for horror there's still definitely some there in the plentiful animal cruelty involving the ocean's creatures that get killed off in the film...

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  6. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Oh, there is a shark in that movie? As far as I am concerned, it doesnt require sound. 90 minutes of Andres Garcia in a speedo or less is all I need. A man with a unibrow should not be that hawt, but there we are....

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Kim Bruun likes this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

TCM will be airing Tintorera tomorrow night at 3:45AM on TCM Underground, following Piranha at 2AM.

wago70 and X-human like this.
  10. Kim Bruun

I just watched Tintorera, and found it much more enjoyable than I remember it. Mind you, this is a shorter cut. I don't know if the cut I watched when I first saw it more than a decade ago was a longer cut. It may have been, since I seem to recall the movie ending with Stiglitz lying in a hospital bed after his final confrontation with the shark. The Scorpion release ends differently:
    The shark bites Stiglitz and is shot with a harpoon gun. The shark succumbs to its injuries and the fate of Stiglitz is left unresolved. Cue the sappy montage.
    That said, with the antics of rich playboy Stiglitz and hunky gigolo buddy García and a few shark attacks sprinkled throughout, I doubt there's enough material to fill out a running time of two hours and maintain audience interest (the longest cut apparently runs 126 minutes!). At 87 minutes, there was just enough sexiness and mayhem to keep me entertained. The shark attacks are grizzly enough. In one scene, a man is bitten in half, entrails spilling out into the water. In another, the shark is seen swimming away with a woman's head, which it has apparently bitten off. One could perhaps have wished for a more suspenseful build-up or jolt factor. All we get is some footage of the shark cruising along until it happens upon its next human meal. There is, however, footage of actors (or stunt people) in the water, physically interacting with live sharks, and that should be scary enough in itself. There are also some unpleasant real animal killings on screen, so be warned. On a side note, had I made the movie, I'd probably have switched the Fiona Lewis and Susan George roles. Fiona Lewis was out of this world gorgeous, and I would have no trouble accepting her ability to persuade two straight guys to a threesome.

Fiona lewis.jpg

chancetx likes this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. Kim Bruun

Finally had the chance to follow up Tintorera with Shark's Treasure. Both movies feature the regrettable real killing of sharks, and both feature actor/stuntman interaction with sharks, but otherwise Sharks' Treasure is quite a different viewing experience. It concerns four men on a boat looking for a sunken treasure. Most of the action takes place on their boat and in the waters below, meaning that to keep the story afloat until the main antagonists (a group of escaped convicts) show up, there's lots of tiresome bickering between the main characters. The convicts are lead by a bully with a boy toy/whipping dog. The homosexual aspect is sorta played for laughs, which undermines the menace of the main villain. The shark scenes don't quite have the same sense of danger as the ones in Tintorera, though there is a surprising act of aggression from a whale shark. I always thought they were the gentle giants of the sea. Writer/director Cornel Wilde also stars, and his performance kinda feels like a self-serving mouthpiece for opinions on smoking, alcohol consumption, etc. My favourite character was the guy played by David Canary. He's level-headed, he's got a ruggedly handsome face, and he looks good in speedos. Unfortunately, his character was the first to die, and at this point, my attention was no longer completely with the movie. I got up, did my orchid watering routine, and casually checked up on the movie as it continued playing. I do want to watch it again. I want to like it. But sorry, Sharks' Treasure, you lost me when you got rid of David Canary.

[​IMG]

Edit: There's an odd moment about midway through the movies where the screen goes completely black for a few seconds. The disc keeps playing just fine. I don't know if it's the source material, an authoring error, or just a really weird stylistic choice. After all, the movie uses a series of freeze frames twice to illustrate a the carrying out of time consuming task.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    chancetx likes this.
  13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Just bought Eye of the Tiger from Diabolik. Felt a little weird buying a regular action movie since Scorpion is releasing very little of this type of movie these days. I miss the old Scorpion.

14. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Popped in my copy of THE DEVIL'S 8 and had to go into my TV settings to dial down the color. Holy hell everybody looked badly sunburned. WTF was that about? I haven't seen any chatter about this anywhere online so maybe it was just my disc? Lol