Ruggero Deodato to produce a new HD animal friendly version of Cannibal Holocaust

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Buddusky, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

From cult-labs.com

Cannibal Holocaust is 1979 Italian cannibal horror by Ruggero Deodato. It was once of the most notable video nasties during the 1980's moral panic.

Later in 2001 it was passed 18 after a substantial 5:44s of cuts for DVD. The BBFC commented: Cuts required to scenes involving real cruelty to animals and to eroticised sexual violence

The cuts were:

* The killing of a muskrat has been deleted
    * Our intrepid adventurers witness the riverside murder and mutilation of a woman presumably by her husband. We don't get to witness:
    o the girl being dragged through the mud and having her legs forced apart
    o the girl struggling and being raped with a wooden dildo
    o the man raising a mudball with spikes and the subsequent shot of genital mutilation
    * Another woman getting raped on the river bank has been removed
    * The disembowelling of a giant turtle has been predictably deleted
    * A monkey gets his head sliced open and its blood is drained into a bowl...but not in the censored version
    * The kicking of a tethered pig has been removed and its subsequent shooting and death
    * The rape one of a native girl by 3 men has been reduced
    * The cannibals eventually overpower the adventurers. The woman in the party gets stripped and raped but not in the UK version.
    * The woman's death scene is missing nudity shots.

Moving on to 2011 it was felt that the cuts for violence would now be waived. However the animal cruelty cuts are still likely to be required. It was also felt that it would be better to re-edit the film to work around the inevitable animal cruelty cuts. And who better to re-edit the film than its director Ruggero Deodato.

Shameless are now working with Deodato on the all-new edit. Deodato is also overseeing production of a new HD master from which the DVD and Blu-ray will be produced.

The new version will be released in summer 2011 with a premiere at Cine-Excess, the Cult Film Conference and Festival at the Odeon Covent Garden, London, 26-28th May.

Link: http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/nasties_news.htm#Cannibalised_for_Parts_9520

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Im against censorship in any and all forms, but at least its less cut than it was before. Good news for UK cannibal fans.

3. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

This would be awesome but yet again censorship strikes again.I would love to have a BD but not if its gonna be fully uncut.Im not into animal cruelty,but give us the option to watch the footage if we want too.

sean

4. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

"Shameless are now working with Deodato on the all-new edit. Deodato is also overseeing production of a new HD master from which the DVD and Blu-ray will be produced."

Hopefully that means there will be an uncut version being worked on for other Countries :D

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hopefully. I'm only interested in a fully uncut version. The scenes are some of the more difficult things to watch in life, but that's its edge.

I heard a rumor that someone with Grindhouse Releasing tore off a post-it note on which they may eventually write "release CH on Blu-ray," so we should see it in about eight to ten decades. I'm excited.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  6. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I'm only interested in Uncut. I currently don't own a Blu-Ray player yet, but I will in a few months, and have already have 1 Blu-Ray disc already, Evil Dead.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I might actually get this. The elaborate scenes of animal cruelty in the film have always rubbed me the wrong way and I've always felt that I might otherwise like the film more if they weren't in there.

8. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

No buy...

9. killit

killit Active Member

Hardly animal friendly. The turtle didn't get his internal organs back. Such a rewind culture. Don't love the animal cruelty but it's a part of the film. My thoughts to deodato and would be censors, just remake the damn film then. Except oh wait there's that whole "jungle natives are man eating savages thing"

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

what you guys have to realise here is that this is a UK project, there is NO way in a million years that this film will ever be release uncut in the UK, hell they may be producing an animal friendly edition, but they still don't have any guarantees that the cut version will be release without further edits.

kudos to shameless for putting the time and effort into this.

11. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I don't know if I'd want to see that turtle scene in anymore clarity than the DVD offers, so I'm not completely opposed to this. Censorship sucks, but Deodato has repeatedly said he regrets having done it, and it would probably satisfy him on a personal level if he's able to re-cut the film successfully without those scenes included. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

With that said, I hope the fully uncut version sees the light of day sometime too on the format, we don't need another Lucas attempting to erase history.

12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I would never buy a censored version of anything, but I can see why they'd do an animal friendly version.

Why all the other cuts though?...

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I mean if any of the gore is cut then no dice, I can just do without the turtle getting his innards ripped out. It's kind of a double edged sword because I am opposed to forced censorship. If this is a personal choice of Deodato, though, more power to him. I guess the best option would be to have a blu-ray where you have the choice to watch it with or without the animal cruelty scenes.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

No thanks, I'll pass.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I am glad they are removing the animal cruelty shots

16. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

I thought there was a DVD that offered the viewer to watch either the uncut version or the animal cruelty free version. If they're going to do BD why not just include both. I've seen this movie once. Didn't think it was that great and probably wouldn't watch it again or own it. I love the soundtrack though! It's beautiful compared to all the violence.

17. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm pretty curious to see how the new cut turns out but on the other hand I think that re-cutting a censored version of the movie (or any version for that matter...) is such a joke. I really don't understand why the UK labels bother with titles that they know they will definitely not be able to release uncut, it's not like there is a shortage of stuff they can release uncut...

18. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I don't even think this has to do with the UK per-se; Deodato has gone on record saying that he regrets those scenes, so I think even given the opportunity to re-edit it outside of the UK, I'd assume he'd likely be interested.

19. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

hopefully we'll get an uncut BD release at some point. Anything else is just ludicrous.

20. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

They can call this new cut the Peta Edition.

I doubt I'd buy this on BD under any circumstance, cut is clearly no dice even if it's cutting stuff I don't want to watch anyway.