Robocop Trilogy on Blu-ray (10/05/10)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by buck135, Sep 8, 2010.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

http://www.discdish.com/index.php/2010/09/01/new-release-robocop-trilogy-mad-max-blu-ray/

According to the article above, the only thing on these discs are the films. The MSRP is $60, but Amazon has it for under $35. The first film is the extended version (and is still a classic). The sequel is awful, but to me was always a guilty pleasure for some reason. I've never watched the third one (mainly due to the absence of Peter Weller). Should the reviews indicate that the transfers are very good, then I'll pick it up. I'm still disappointed in the lack of extras.

2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I am happy about the extended cut of the first one, alone. If the picture quality is good, I am going for the set.

3. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

pre-ordered this at amazon.uk for a very reasonable price of £17.99

But having the dvd box set of all 3 films am i right in thinking i`m just paying for what i already have ?

4. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The Blu-ray of the first Robocop that is out now is the unrated director's cut.

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Really? Thanks for the heads up. I thought there was just the theatrical on Blu so far.

6. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

It doesn't explicitally call it the director's cut or an extended cut, but it does say "UNRATED" on the back. I own it so I can confirm that it is the director's cut. If I can save people from buying the sequels, I have to do it.

There was a release from Sony back in 2006 that was pulled before it had a chance to hit most shelves (rumor has it that it slipped into a few stores). They definitely sent out review copies though and that disc WAS the R-rated cut. And, apparently, the video quality was atrocious.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Thought I'd bump this thread to see what peoples thoughts were on Robocop 2? I watched the first film again not long ago and still really enjoy it. It's a great Paul Verhoeven film for sure.

Now the sequel does a lot of things right with it's random weird commercials and OCP shenanigans, but man does it drag for me. I find it so slow at times that I wasn't even able to watch it all last time I tried, and that was with multiple sittings!
    Cain is an odd villain and never really feels threatening. Kurtwood Smith's henchman leader from the first film is leaps and bounds more threatening. Even Dick Jones who doesn't really get his hands dirty is damn imposing. Cain is not, and that's a big fail for me.
    The end fight in 2, with all the stop motion and robot action is indeed cool, but overall the film feels lacking while also feeling too long.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Frank Miller has written a few brilliant works. And a lot of hot garbage. Robocop 2 is from that second dumpster, in the period he was making bank on his reputation for the first.

The film was a mess, trying to amp itself with all the attitude of the first film but none of the intelligence and little of the humanity. It substituted incoherent for clever, such that it required your attention to make any sense of things but between the pacing and frequent use of dark shots paying attention was a task in itself.

It felt like a cardboard cutout of the first film.

I watched it in the theaters when it came out and walked out not liking it. And a week later not remembering much apart from a drug addicted mega-cyborg. I watched it once again at home many years later, still don't remember much about it except the cyborg and not liking the film.

zbinks, Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I barely remember Robocop 2. I probably liked it a bit when I was a kid. Most likely due to whatever video game version. I remember the big Robocop 2 drug bot. I know I never saw Robocop 3.

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I have the trilogy on blu ray, I really enjoyed the first and always have for all my multiple viewings. The second I enjoyed on first viewing but after re-visiting as part of this pack my opinion changed, it was OK but not great and a struggle to get through. I watched the third on a pirate in a bar in spain with drink just before it come out, it was OK but nothing brilliant. I've never been in a position since getting the pack that I'm in the mood to re-visit it!!!!!!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The problem with Robocop 2, is that he's back in full Robo mode.
    The point of the original, was him getting back his humanity and memories, and at the end of the movie, he's basically Murphy again.
    But in the sequel, they seem to have forgotten about that. It annoyed the fuck out of me, when I saw it in the theater.

In an interview, Verhoeven said he regretted that he didn't continue as a producer on the sequels.

KGBRadioMoskow likes this.
  12. Steel76

The brain was probably smashed to pieces, after that fall from the window, but I wish Dick Jones brain was the one, that ended up in the new Robocop.
    A secret OCP could have kept until the fight at the end of the movie.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

I mean, yes and no. He's still watching over his wife and misses her till he's basically forced or guilted into telling her he's just a machine. And then they have the whole sub-plot (that's kind of useless as it goes nowhere and is a very short problem) where he's totally over-ridden to comply to the law to a "t". It's played for laughs and has very little impact though.

Well I'm glad to at least hear in not the only one underwhelmed by this film. I remember thinking it was awesome when I first saw it as a teen, but now it's just feels like a chore to sit through.

Oh and I forgot to say before, Nancy Allen's haircut is atrocious in this. She looks damn terrible.

Steel76 likes this.
  14. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Nancy Allen makes my pecker shrug.

Yeah, I went there.

15. Steel76

Ah, You’re right. Forgot about that scene.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

I like her in Dressed to Kill and the first Robocop. She is hard to look at in Robocop 2 though lol. I feel that's worse than just making my pecker shrug :p

17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I need to see Dressed to Kill again. I plan on watching or rewatching a lot of DePalma movies. I remember the opening of Dressed to Kill was insane. But Nancy Allen was cool in Robocop. I can't remember much about her the sequels.