Rewind This! VHS Boom & Video Store Documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by lanemyer774, Jan 12, 2012.

1. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

This looks awesome! Check out the trailer.

"Three filmmakers, Josh Johnson, Carolee Mitchell, and Christopher Palmer, are putting together a film called Rewind This, which looks at the rise of video and the video store culture that flourished for years in the ’80s and ’90s, and how those things changed parts of the film business. They’re using Kickstarter to fund the film, but already have interviews with some video-biz luminaries such as Troma’s Lloyd Kaufman."

http://www.slashfilm.com/djinn-trailer-tobe-hooper-political-horror/

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Josh, an acquaintance of mine, and the rest of the team have been working on this for 2 years now. I strongly suggest you support the doc!

3. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Looks amazing. Sold.

4. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

Great idea for a documentary, however I'd leave out Lloyd Kaufman...he's in everything.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'm lucky enough to still have a few awesome indie video stores in my area. I don't know what I'd do without them. Can't wait to check out this doc. Viva VHS!

6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

And how's that a problem?

Troma VHS tapes were a big part of my youth so I'm glad Lloyd is being interviewed.

Same with Charles Band.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

So when they release this documentary, will they release it on VHS?

It's kind of odd that I feel nostalgia for video stores. It seems like only yesterday I was browsing through such stores, but in reality, it's been about a decade since I've been in a video store that had lots of oddball VHS tapes. Definitely something my kids won't be able to experience growing up. :(

8. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

As a fan of VHS and DVD with over 17,000 VHSs and DVDs I love the idea that people even care nowadays about VHS. When I mentioned I just watched Bury Me An Angel or To All A Goodnight on VHS last night or whatever people stare at me and call me a "caveperson". Where's your flatscreen? Or what about your hi-def? They ask. I love the VHs times and am glad I at least got to experience the days of renting as many as 7 VHSs in one day back in 1984 from local video stores. I would usually rent 7 a day on the weekend and 3-5 on the weekdays to watch after school. Different times indeed. NOw I own a lot of the VHSs I used to rent when various stores closed up. A lot are like collectors items to me since I spent much of time eduting myself with great horror,sci-fi,cult,etc. films from log ago.

9. MorallySound

Troma were also one of the first companies to start licensing titles at the start of the VHS craze, so Lloyd's important to interview for the topic.

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Backed it. Can't wait to see it! I literally grew up in a video store (my parents'). So my local mom & pop's store was actually... my own mom & pop's. :)

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

This looks really interesting, I've seen tons of documentaries with Bill Margold and he always makes me laugh.

12. MorallySound

Also quite funny in the Fantasm flicks, especially when he had to replace John Holmes because Holmes refused to go in the pool.

13. streetlight

streetlight Member

Sounds great. I love VHS and have bought many from some local stores over the past few years. I don't know how many I have but I am guessing about 2000.

The one thing I regret is not taking pictures of one store had that closed up a couple years ago. When you walked into the VHS section it was like it was 1986. The first time I went there (2006 maybe) I nearly fell on the floor because I was so surprised of their titles, luckily I was there when they sold all their tapes and I bought some good ones, all the slashers of course

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Love this. The prizes for the Kickstarter campaign are really good. Might have to support this bad boy gettin' off the ground.

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'll definately give this a watch, i used to love the video shop experience when i was a kid, and miss it greatly, it was lots of fun in the early 80's to go into these shops and look at the treasures on the shelf, i always remember seeing deadly spawn, man that cover here in the UK was brutal, i used to stare at it and try to imagine just what delights the film would give me, having to wait quite a few years before getting the chance to experience it, and at around 13 - 14 i used to have a friend from school who used to rent at least one movie a night, i spend a lot of time with him on evenings/weekends so got to see sooo many movies and spend a lot of time in video stores picking some treasured viewing, good good times.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  16. mlock

mlock Member

Awesome idea for a documentary film! After watching the trailer, I will definately support it. Any updates regarding a release date yet?

17. StrangeViceJosh

StrangeViceJosh New Member

Hey you guys,

This is Josh, one of the filmmakers. I stumbled onto this thread and just wanted to drop in and say it really warms my heart to see this enthusiasm for the project. There are a lot of interviews that aren't glimpsed in the trailer and several angles that aren't hinted at. We're trying to make a truly insane and completely comprehensive portrait of the video boom. We've already hit our goal for the Kickstarter so our final trip to Japan is now definitely happening. The campaign runs for a while longer and we're planning to add a trip to Toronto if we raise enough extra cash.

Thanks for caring about something dear to my heart. You guys are awesome!

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Cannot wait for this one!!

19. Mr.G

Mr.G Member

Awesome idea. I made my donation. It looks like they are well over their 15,000 goal. Great job everyone!

20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

In case you didn't know the filmmakers were recently interviewed by Buzz "Danger" Wallick on his podcast "Same Shit, Different Show" which you can listen to here