Return of the Living Dead 3 Blu Ray

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Sep 30, 2012.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Hi folks - I have noticed an uncut dvd version that is supposed to be region free and widescreen from a thai company (first noticed because someone on his forum picked it up) and when looking that over on ebay I noticed there are now two uncut versions on blu ray as well listed on ebay.

I cannot find much info on any of these releases so far - just wondered if everyone knew about these and if anyone has any info on any of them. I have posted links to the 3 releases on ebay below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RETURN-OF-T...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item3f1c235601

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLU-RAY-RET...t=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item416bba06f7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RETURN-OF-T...t=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item48471d9080

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RETURN-OF-T...t=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item3f1bf67d26

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Last link appears to be the German Laser Paradise release. It is uncut, but full screen and 1080i only.

3. Beastus

Beastus New Member

All the Blu-rays you linked are official Austrian releases. One is in a regular elite case, while the limited edition is a hardcover (like a DVD-sized clamshell).

Have no idea about the quality of the release though. The same company released an uncut and remastered Dellamorte Dellarmore on Blu-ray as well. Supposed to contain English audio.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

I have the Austrian release (third and forth links). The second link has the same exact Bluray as the Austrian release. The transfer is horrible. My PlayStation 3 actually recognized the Bluray as 'Mpeg 2' format when the film started. My original PAL uncut DVD has a much better picture. It looks like a bad upscale from the uncut PAL DVD I have.

5. othervoice1

Sorry wanted to make sure I understand-did you mean the blu-ray you have looks awful or the dvd you mention is awful? Thanks <:

6. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I have the blu ray in the second link (on blu ray from Germany), albeit in one of the different version sleeves (they released 3 or 4). The case is the same size as a US BD, but in a plastic/cardboard snapper style, which is pretty solid. It is the full uncut version in widescreen and English audio. The transfer is pretty nice, and probably the best that has been released (never saw any LD's though). I'd definitely recommend it if your a fan of the movie/series.

7. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

I just changed my words above to avoid the confusion :) yes the Bluray upscale was horrible, the picture in some scenes contained so much pixelation. My pal DVD looked much smoother and better overall.

8. othervoice1

I would be tempted to pick that version up then - I take it is not region free but I do have a region free player already. I really dont like the cover on that ebay posting - I did find the covers A, B and C - Id prefer cover A but do not see on for sale - appears these were pretty limited - oh well

9. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

The thing is the version you want to get has the exact same disc as the one I have. I have a 46' inch Sony Bravia HD TV and the picture is terrible when I view it. I guess it depends on your eye and HD set up, screen size etc.

10. othervoice1

Ah okay so they are the same disc just different packaging - that is too bad - so appears really no version exists that has a pretty good transfer to it still (unless of course the Thai dvd release is better then the blurays)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So is the release in the second link good and worth getting or not? There's two conflicting opinions here.

12. Buechlers_beard

I'd say if your after an uncut widescreen blu ray, yes! The picture looked fine to me for a movie that's always looked pretty poor, and the likely hood of it getting a better uncut release soon is unlikely.

Pick it up, don't pay through the nose though, it's no Fright Night lol.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think I'll avoid it. Had a look on Amazon Germany and the review there said it was just a shitty looking upscale. Such a shame :(

14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I watched this release a while ago, and it IS a shitty upscale.

The movie is getting a proper Unrated release here in Scandinavia in november, and it´s in anamorphic widescreen.

15. norwegianfaust

norwegianfaust Member

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure it's the R-RATED version that is getting the anamorphic treatment, while the unrated one will be included in open matte / fullscreen as an extra.

http://www.anotherworldent.com/index.php?n=catalogue&s=show&type=&idem=0e74405d32831a77

So, no, the unrated cut will definitely NOT be anamorphic! But the release may be a decent upgrade over the unrated UK one all the same.

16. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

The Bluray I have from Austria with the terrible upscale is uncut and widescreen. I assume from memory the Bluray was cropped from the uncut PAL dvd to fit 16:9.

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Aha, then I got the wrong info about it, thank for clearing it up för me :)

18. norwegianfaust

norwegianfaust Member

You're most welcome! This was a highly anticipated release for me as well, and I was really hoping that a nice anamorphic print of the unrated cut would finally see the light of day. But apparently not. Well, I'll buy it to support AWE anyway!

19. Buechlers_beard

Just popped this in again for five minutes to have a look at the picture quality. Yes, it does look pretty poor, better than the UK uncut DVD though. Doesn't look cropped to me. If anyone has any screen grabs of the uncut DVD please post them and I'll compare it to the BD....

20. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

After watching my Austrian Bluray release again, I quickly switched it to the UK PAL uncut release and the picture quality was much smoother with much less digital pixelation (Little blocky squares).