Resident Evil REBOOT

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, May 22, 2017.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I heard it wasn't too great from the few reviews I saw. I'll check it out regardless but I'm not expecting much. Surely it can't be worse than the other movies though, so there's that.

Steel76 likes this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

MUCH better than the cheesy Anderson movies.
    They finally focus on horror and it felt like proper Resident Evil. They did a great job recreating events and locations from the first two games.
    Glad they didn't try to make the actors look and act like the video game characters, and gave the characters a bit more depth now.

This felt like a proper movie.

Natas and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I thought this was fine, but also kind of tepid. I like that they finally got around to adapting the games, cutting back and forth between the plots of the first two games (you get Chris, Jill, and Wesker in the Spencer Mansion, while Leon and Claire are out in the city). I appreciated the darker atmosphere, but I didn't think either of the plotlines were especially effective. The games drop us right into it, while this spends the entire first half of the movie on needless exposition that could have been handled in about 15 minutes. The movie is half over by the time they get to the Spencer Mansion, and once they get there not a whole lot happens. Same for Leon and Claire's plotline, they wander around and run into a zombie or two.

This was directed by Johannes Roberts, whose 47 Meters Down: Uncaged and The Strangers: Prey At Night were both littered with 80s music. This was set in the late '90s, so Roberts accordingly does the same here with '90s tunes. Jennifer Paige's "Crush", 4 Non Blondes "What's Up", The Cardigans' "My Favorite Game" are among the pop songs featured throughout. That kept things fun. While Roberts' Prey At Night was kind of a safe watered down version of the original The Strangers littered with pop music, this sort of felt like the Prey At Night version of Grindhouse: Planet Terror. It's very watchable and certainly fun in spurts, but also lacks bite.

SPOILERS incoming:

Another thing that kept this movie feeling safe were the characters. The four leads are the iconic characters from the game: Chris, Claire, Leon, Jill. Not for a second did I think this movie would have the guts to kill off any of these characters. Therefore, there were no stakes. They could have at least killed off this version of Jill, who is a total bore and not really given anything to do. Avan Jogia is the highlight as Leon, but he's the only one with any sort of personality. Chris and Claire are both action movie robots.

All in all, I didn't think this was better than the Anderson movies, just more faithful. If you liked those, you'll probably like this. It's harmless B-movie fun, nothing more. They still haven't captured the games on screen yet.

fceurich39 and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I thought it was ok, it was nice to the nods to the games but that's it, the rest was ho hum. I've got to say I just can't get excited for these CGI outputs anymore, I can't say I ever did, but I'm really bored of them now. Give me make up and physical gore that's what I miss.

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I though it was much better than the Anderson movies.
    Just glad to not having to suffer through the "post-Matrix" slow mo bullshit anymore.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I never played the video games, so this was just another flick for me....and again, enjoyed the shit out of it.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just got done with this one. It was OK but nothing I'd honestly care to watch again. It spends way too much time setting things up and not really effectively either. I haven't played the games myself but I know they just drop you into it and you discover and figure out things along the way. That's how they should have handled this too. By the time we get to iconic spots like the mansion, the movie is almost over. Then they just rush through things and it's not very interesting to be honest.

I did enjoyed the characters (minus Jill who sucked), so that helped get me through. Also the score was decent at times. Other than that it's pretty average.

Christy likes this.
  8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

You should play the Resident Evil Remake as soon as possible. The original is still good but the remake even though almost 20 years old is a beautiful horror game. One of the best horror games. Tons of system options to choose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_(2002_video_game)

I remember pointing out how the mansion in Resident Evil is setup similar to the house in Night of the Living Dead 1990. I haven't seen the new movie yet but I would have setup the movie just around the house and surrounding areas. Similar to how Night of the Living Dead (original and remake) is just in the house. And something like When a Stranger Calls remake is in the house and branches out into the backyard area. There are a bunch of other horror movies that make an entertaining movie just using one location and have that location be essentially be a character.

othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.