Replacing DVD Collection with Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by DanceEnergy24, May 9, 2011.

1. scar

scar New Member

I am only upgrading the ones that genuinely look better than the SD release or its a better cut then what I have already. Some I recommend upgrading right away are the two Kill Bill movies due to extensive DNVR use on the DVDs which becomes very apparent when upscale. Eventually they'll all be BD, but till then, I am going this route.

2. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Agreed. The film needs to be a better transfer or the complete version for me to up to blu. Although certain films do get a pass. Hellraiser was an upgrade. The Beyond blu more than likely will be an upgrade. I think it's really a combination of my favorite titles and the right price.

Also films I don't already own and have a blu available I buy the Blu-ray given the circumstances.

3. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I am with the majority on this one.
    My Blu upgrades consist primarily of films that I watch regularly; at least once a year as Dayglo said. There are also some that I do not watch often but have a soft spot in my heart for or those where the price is just "right". I have a large DVD collection &, despite having nearly 400 Blu-rays (less than a quarter as many Blus as DVDs), I'd say that I've replaced maybe 5-8% of my DVD collection as the majority of those BD titles are new additions. I expect that I may eventually replace up to 15% but most Blu-ray purchases will continue to be "new" titles. (Not necessarily new films, but films that I do not already own.)

4. Dusk

Dusk New Member

It has taken me about 10 years to replace my VHS collection with DVD, so I have a personal limit of exactly *one* format change per lifetime. Yessum.

5. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I agree that is pretty much my theory as well

6. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I've set some rules for myself over the years, as I originally went hog wild replacing DVDs with Blu-rays. I replace all non-anamorphic or incorrect aspect ratio DVDs with their Blu-ray counterparts, as they become available. Otherwise, I only replace 4 1/2 and 5 star films and, even then, it depends on price or if I get a gift certificate, birthday money, Amazon credit, etc. I also use the 4 1/2 and 5 star criteria for films that I don't own. I will buy any of those, regardless of price; any other films, I usually wait until they drop below $10. If I read a lot of bad reviews for a disc (excessive DNR, EE, etc.) I'll usually just stick with the DVD.

7. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I haven't yet upgraded to a Blu-Ray player. I know even when I do get one I'll probably be the same as most of you as far as upgrading...only for my absolute favorite movies that I watch all the time, or for movies I haven't gotten yet that I know will be greatly enhanced by Blu-Ray. I don't see myself making nearly as many movie purchases as I do with standard DVDs, although that might change as the years go by.

It seems odd to even upgrade in the first place if my Blu-Ray collection ends up only being a fraction of my standard DVD collection, but I guess for me the main reason to do it is because eventually they will quit making standard DVDs for new releases, and I still watch quite a few of those.