Remember when Tim Burton films were good?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spit, Apr 21, 2012.

1. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

It's all good. I'm just in a bad mood because it got really cold overnight and I woke up freezing. So, sorry about that too :nervous:

2. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Fandom amuses me. One of Hollywood's most successful and visually inventive directors is being torn down as having "lost his edge" or something by a bunch of peeps who (myself included) geek out on such groundbreaking cinema as 1980s slasher sequels.

I've enjoyed almost every movie on that list. I never liked Batman (way overrated; Returns was far superior) and Mars Attacks! was stupid. I understand old-timers may not like Dark Shadows being turned into a comedy, but I have never seen the show and the movie looks amusing to me. I'm also looking forward to Frankenweenie. I have no problem whatsoever with Burton revisiting an old SHORT and making it an animated feature. I also appreciate the fact that his animated efforts can bring a dose of darkness, monsters, and the macabre to the younger set. Don't kids need something better than the latest Madagascar sequel, my fellow Monster Squaders? ;)

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I actually like most of his movies, yes even Planet of the Apes and Alice in Wonderland. I will agree though his last great movie was Sleepy Hollow. Sweeney Todd had potential but I'm not a huge fan of musicals so that film would have had to have been perfect for me to love it.

As for Dark Shadows I'm not excited about it one bit. It looks pretty bad although it may be watchable as a bad Addams Family movie sequel, if that makes any sense. Frankenweenie looks better in my opinion, but even that doesn't look as good as the other stop motion kids horror film coming out, ParaNorman.

Oh, and Batman Returns wasn't really a flop, it made $266 million worldwide on an $80 million budget. Add all the toys, VHS sales, ect. and I'm sure it brought in a hefty profit. Definitely an upset compared to the first film but not a bomb by any means.

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I kind of liked Alice in Wonderland. But all of his films between Sleepy Hollow and Alice? Hated them all. Especially Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Dark Shadows and Frankenweenie look interesting so I'll give them a shot.

5. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I'll admit, I haven't seen anything post-Mars Attacks from Burton with the exception of Big Fish (which I liked). Just the word of mouth alone was enough for me to avoid them even though Burton directed some of my favorite films of all time. Always wanted to preserve the Burton I knew in my head and not the Hollywood loving hack that people make him out to be.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nightmare Before Christmas which is one of the all time classic animated films (I know he didn't direct but he did most of everything else). It still holds cultural relevance somehow nearly 20 years later.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sorry I didn't mean to say Batman Returns was a flop. It certainly wasn't. But how Burton handled the Penguin's rather bizarre death scene had many kids in tears because they felt so sad. I can see why Warner, and parents, would freak over that. Nobody brings their kids to Batman expecting to see Old Yeller. So Warner wanted more control over Batman Forever and brought in Joel Schumacher.

I loved it as a kid and still do but I can see why Warner got cold feet.

And as much as I love Julie Newmar as Catwoman I'd have to go with Yvonne Craig as Batgirl. :D

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I like Burton's films.

Vincent - haven't seen

Frankenweenie - haven't seen

Pee-wee's Big Adventure - Childhood favorite!! I was a big PWH fan back in the day and absolutely loved this movie.

Beetlejuice - Another great film I used to watch a lot as a kid. I actually work with a guy that looks like Beetlejuice! LOL

Batman - Great Bats film. Some people shit on it due to the recent Nolan films, but I think the movie is a great representation of Batman on screen. The ONLY fault I have is with the Joker being the killer of Bruce's parents. I also remember the summer it came out and the hype machine promoting it. Batman shit everywhere!

Edward Scissorhands - One of my all time favorite movies here.

Batman Returns - A bit different than the previous Bats film, but I like it. Some complained of it being too dark (which was Warner Bros problem) and just weird in spots. Not a big fan of what they did with the Penguin though...

Ed Wood - This would be up in my top five favorite films. I LOVE this movie.

Mars Attacks! - Not sure why this always get shit on, but I love this movie. I dig campy 50s films, so this fit the bill for me.

Sleepy Hollow - Could have been better, but I enjoy it enough to have a copy in my collection.

Planet of the Apes - I don't mind the different take on the series, but I do admit it's just not as enjoyable as the other movies in the franchise.

Big Fish - haven't seen it

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Was not a big fan of this, but I'm not a fan of the original either. Wife seemed to like it though.

Corpse Bride - Been awhile since I watched it, but I do remember enjoying the film. Still it did not top Nightmare before Christmas.

Sweeney Todd - Really liked this one.

9 - haven't seen it

Alice in Wonderland - Same deal with Charlie....

Dark Shadows - Will be seeing it, I have not seen the TV series (want to, but trying to find the time to do it is a problem), so I have no problems with the film doing something different.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I agree. I plan to see Dark Shadows when it hits theaters.

Aside from Sweeney Todd, I haven't really enjoyed a Burton film since Big Fish, a film so sickeningly sweet I thought I'd have to visit a dentist afterward.

edit: didn't realize Apes released before Big Fish. Yeesh, this guy's been on quite the tear since then.

9. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland was so-so, and I don't know if I'm looking forward to Dark Shadows. I prefer the Dark Shadows Revival over Tim Burton's, just based on the trailers I have seen, but I don't think Tim Burton, hasn't really made any good movies, except for Charlie, since Sleepy Hollow.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Vincent - meh
    Frankenweenie - meh
    Pee-wee's Big Adventure - :cool:
    Beetlejuice - :cool:
    Batman - :cool:
    Edward Scissorhands - :cool:
    Batman Returns - :cool:
    Ed Wood - :cool:
    Mars Attacks! - :cool: (yeah I know I'm in the minority here)
    Sleepy Hollow - :cool:
    Planet of the Apes - Hmm
    Big Fish - meh
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - meh
    Corpse Bride - Hmm
    Sweeney Todd - :cool:
    9 - I don't think he directed this
    Alice in Wonderland - :cool: (yeah I know I'm in the minority here)
    Dark Shadows - looks :cool:
    Frankenweenie - looks :cool:

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Are you all forgetting the awesome horridness of Pitof and Halle Berry's Catwoman? Quite possibly the worst movie ever, but Halle did look good in that thing she was wearing, even though I wouldn't call it a Catwoman costume.:D