Remakes

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr. Slausen, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Mr. Slausen

Mr. Slausen Guest

Who else is pretty sick of the remakes of classic horror movies? It seems that Michael Bay is behind a lot of these craptacular remakes that have basically ruined the good name of some classic horror films like The Amityville Horror, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and now A Nightmare on Elm Street.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

It depends some of them are necessary whereas some aren't. End of the day they're gonna do them so theres no point bitching about it. If you don't wanna watch them thend don't, simple as.

3. agentc

agentc Member

Not to mention that also some of them have been pretty good.

I suppose it's about people being able to think of these remakes as seperate films often only bearing a passing resemblance to the originals of which they were based on, something which most seem either unable or unwilling to do.

4. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

A few of them have been ok but I would much rather see new original films. It seems like 99% of the genre product in theaters these days is a remake. It's like we're in the '80's all over again, only not as good.

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Originality is dead. It always has been. Or: Originality is misunderstood and used mainly by gullible people who want to impress each other.

I don't mind the remakes. The awful ones, I can just discard, and the good ones, I can enjoy. I liked the Friday the 13th remake. Did it replace the original for me? No, it was a cheesy, fun ride, but the original beats it in terms of atmosphere. I did not like Zombie's Halloween - it went too much against what made the original scary. If they ever make another Halloween, I hope they reboot it many years from now, rather than building on Zombie's trainwreck.

I haven't seen the remakes of My Bloody Valentine or House on Sorority Row yet, but hey, both probably paved the way for slick new editions of the originals. And I don't mind that! :D

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Except for Amityville and the Hitcher, I've enjoyed all of the PD remakes and prequels. The way I look at it, the film can't be labeled shit just because it's a remake. Hell, some of the great modern day horror films are remakes like The Thing (although people will get into the argument over adaptation vs. remake, but I think that's a pointless argument), The Fly, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc. And yeah, nothing has been original for decades. In most films, books, etc. you can trace back some other work in the past that inspired its plot in one way or another. Last House on the Left is a good example.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Well said.

8. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Lol, I just read through my own message, and the whole originals versus originality may be a bit jumbled, but basically, I was trying to say what Grim said. The concept of originality is basically gone. Movies, just like all other artforms, draw inspiration from somewhere, and I don't see them existing disconnected from previous traditions. Horror movies, by virtue of their formulaic nature, are very obviously connected to existing traditions, and that's probably part of the appeal.

But when I say "the original Halloween," I'm not commenting on its originality but rather describing its relationship with later movies sharing its name and plot line. :)

9. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

I'm sick of people complaining about horror remakes!

Instead of bellyaching about some new remake you should resolve to post something instead that will elicit discussion about a good recent horror film. There isn't a dearth: Eden Lake, The Descent, Session 9, Trick 'r Treat, Amusement, come readily to mind.

We have a tendency to obsess over how a remake diverges from the original when we could be obsessing about why a new horror flick is effective.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

One translates a story from one medium to another.
    The other reinterprets a story within the same medium.

Like the difference between building a house from scratch and renovating an already built house. Sometimes you see a perfectly built house gutted and redone in a way which looks terrible. Then you're left wondering why they bothered. Could of given an architect the same crew and money to build something better from the ground up.

Most remakes are the same way. I don't mind that they remade The Wizard of Gore, a movie which obviously under served what little story it had. But when you get to stuff like Suspiria, who really gives a damn about the plot? Anything inbetween seems more like "we paid for the remake rights, might as well use them" than anything else.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I know, my statement was directed more at The Thing specifically, as it could really fall into either category depending on who you listen to who was involved in the film or how you feel about it.

12. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I'm the anti-remake. There are 2 that I still want to see that I think have the possibility of being OK, those being Last House on the Left and Sorority Row but I will go in with low expectations when I finally do check em out.

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

What he said.

If you don't like them, don't watch them. Most of them only passingly refer to the originals anyway so they're more like new films with the same name as a "classic". I think some people go and watch a remake to compare it to the original rather than just to watch a new movie that just came out. Maybe some people need to get over it and just watch the movie for what it is....a new horror flick to watch in theaters.

14. make believe

make believe New Member

I am all for complaining about remakes. Would you want The Jonas Bros to remake all your favorite albums? They should not be done, period. It's an insult and ruins the good name of the classic original. The Thing I suppose can be debated. Name one good remake they've made in the past 15 years? It's a horrible and just downright lazy filmmaking. Yes, I know, if I don't like it, then don't watch it, which is pretty much what I do these days. Lastly, let's all hope that weak looking Stepfather remake will maybe mean a good domestic release of the original.

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The Hills Have Eyes
    Dawn of the Dead
    Friday the 13th
    3:10 to Yuma (not horror, but still)

Those four immediately come to mind for me. I actually like the new The Hills Have Eyes more than the original. Regardless of whether they're better than the original, the point is that I doubt one person on here can say they have not enjoyed any of the remakes of the past 15 years. Remakes or not, you can't deny good filmmaking and simple entertainment.

16. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Well if anything, remakes put the original films back on DVD, so something good comes out of it. :)

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I would add

Last House on the Left (the original, while visceral, is a steaming pile of a film).
    I also liked the Texas Chainsaw re-do.

I don't care if a movie is re-interpreted within the same medium vs. re-adapted from source literature. I don't even really care if it is "bad" or not as long as I am entertained. Like, I love Seven Samurai (good), but I love Battle Beyond the Stars too (bad but entertaining 7 Sam. rip-off).

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that modern remakes rarely better the originals. They are really just made to make some money off a well known (in some cases just sorta-known) name. For me, the only modern remake which I think has been a very good movie was Willard.

19. Reverenddave

Reverenddave Member

I'd also add:
    House On Haunted Hill
    The Ring
    King Kong

In fact, there's very few remakes I really disliked. Most don't live up to the original. But they're usually enjoyable.

But the biggest benefit is that the original usually gets some fresh attention.

20. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

OK.............. :fuck:

NO MORE FUCKING REMAKES! .....haaahahahahahahaaaahhhaaaaa