Region Free Blu-Ray Player

Discussion in 'General' started by YottNik, Dec 7, 2019.

1. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

My old one recently crapped out. Any suggestions for a budget friendly region free player?

2. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I've got a pretty inexpensive Sony that's served me well for a few years, but I'm away from home at the moment so I can't look up the model number. I'll look into it when I get back in a couple of days.

Katatonia likes this.
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have a Sony BDP-S5200 (hardware modified) that I bought from Bombay back in 2014. 5 years of heavy abuse, and it literally plays friggin' anything without any issues, even problem discs. I'm surprised it's lasted this long actually, but it's still ticking like new for now.

Darga, Myron Breck and buck135 like this.
  5. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I just checked. Mine is a Sony BDP-S3500 (hardware modified) that I got from Bombay Electronics in 2016. It's been my sole player and has worked great.

Katatonia likes this.
  6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I am having an issue at the moment with my region free player. It's an older LG model I got in 2013. Been switching regions for me just fine all these years. Now, all of a sudden I can't play one of the Vinegar Syndrome new releases: Martial Law. Last thing I watched before that was the Second Sight Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray release (in Region B). Getting an error message that it's locked to Region A. I switched the region on my player to Region A. Still won't play. Did it repeatedly, same result. Even put in a Scream Factory disc (they are always locked to Region A). Plays that just fine. Will not play Martial Law. Turned the player off and back on. Nothing works. Never happened before.

Does anyone have any tips or advice that might work?

8. Katatonia

Is it a hardware modified player? You might try unplugging it. Have you installed new firmware recently? That could possibly be a problem.

satans-sadists likes this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Wow, unplugging it actually worked! Thank you so much! Never even thought to try something so basic as that.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

"Shut up and reboot" - Dogbert's Tech Support

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    SAME! I had the same issue with the Dawn extras Blu and just put it away. Will do the same thanks for posting!

12. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Over a year late but... I never bothered to get a new one, instead just complained for a year about not being able to watch my foreign discs. The stupid tray refused to open and I just got frustrated and moved on. Fast forward to a few days ago... I finally opened the thing up and futzed with the magnetic thingy that spins the disc. I think the magnet was a bit too strong and was lifting up the disc just enough to block the tray from opening. Loosening the screws a bit on that guy seems to have fixed it for now. It’s a cheapy Insignia player but I’m riding it for as long as it’ll last.

Little victories!

X-human likes this.
  13. Katatonia

Glad it worked! ;) My Sony player has inexplicably locked up a couple of times over the years and no buttons would work or do anything at all... but unplugging it resets the player somehow. So if all else fails I just resort to that, and more oft than not it does work when an odd problem arises.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

what model Sony? I have the BDP-S360 (my first player, purchased in 2009) that will occasionally refuse to play a disc and I have to unplug it and start it up again to remove the disc. Cycling the power from the player is not enough. This is almost exclusive to discs from Shout Factory, by the way. I'm guessing it need a firmware upgrade, but Sony stopped doing those for this player back in 2012 so I'm stuck. Luckily my region-free player will play the discs, but it's such a PITA (takes several minutes to do it) that with Shout discs I almost always just play them in the region-free without first checking if they'll crash my Sony.

15. Katatonia

Mine is a hardware modified Sony BDP-S5200. I've never had any issues with it playing discs at all to be honest, and I've had it for over 6 years now and it's gotten a ton of use. It's only really "locked up" 2-3 times over the years, and that was usually just a playback glitch or something. The player hasn't had a firmware update in years, but I still haven't had any problems with newer Blu-rays on it.

It will literally play anything, no trouble with Shout discs. Shout uses BD-J so their menus can be slow at times, and some players do have issues with that.