Reese Witherspoon to star in Horror film for $29 MILLION

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Feb 28, 2006.

1. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

ok, is there really any actor that is worth $29 mil?

2. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Buck Flower?

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

She was topless in TWILIGHT, but I think that was about it.

Loved, loved, loved her in ELECTION and FREEWAY!!!!! And, it took me years to admit this openly, but I totally enjoyed the first LEGALLY BLONDE. WALK THE LINE was great, but she is starting to wear out her welcome with me. I'm so tired of her goodie-goodie roles. Get back to those wonderful indies, Reese!!! Who needs $29M/picture and millions of fans????

4. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

All things considered, she has a pretty good track record of movies she's had top billing in since Legally Blonde.

Legally Blonde - 95 Million
    Sweet Home Alabama - 127 Million
    Legally Blonde 2 - 89 Million
    Walk the Line - 119 Million

Granted, it looks like Just Like Heaven is a clunker, but I think her movies are doing pretty good business.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

and ruffly $205 million for production costs and marketing for all those films. which will all go up now.

Execpt for Walk the Line (which she was pretty good in)
    She has a history of making chick flics. Not sure she worth the $29.
    I guess it just comes down to what makes the most money and not the most talented.

I don't see Charlize Theron making this type of money yet.
    Renee Zellweger makes around $12.5 million a film.
    Nicole Kidman makes around $15 million.
    See where this is going?

Cameron Diaz makes $20 million a film. I put Reese in that class. The how the hell are they paying you that kind of money class.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

-- but I totally enjoyed the first LEGALLY BLONDE--

I bought this on DVD, it's fun. The second was one of the worst films I've had to endure though - Urgh!

Nicole Kidman is perhaps my favorite of those above.

7. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

If you are going by the four I listed, they still raked in 420 million. I don't know. Putting out 205 to bring in 420 seems like a good bet.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Could you please put me in that class as well, while you're at it?.... :banana:

9. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Although I personally like Reese Witherspoon, and look forward to seeing Walk the Line cuz I dig Johnny Cash, but 29 Mil for a film -- horror no less -- is just insanity. I'd be happy with the freakin' commission alone on that one.

10. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

The plot for this new horror movie sounds awful, but Reese deserves our eternal respect for her contributions to the rollercoaster scene in FEAR. One of the greatest moments in screen history, bar none.

She's made her cash in chick flicks, but as far as blockbuster actresses go, she's headlined some pretty damn good movies. ELECTION, FREEWAY and PLEASANTVILLE have already been cited, but THE MAN IN THE MOON, FEAR, CRUEL INTENTIONS and AMERICAN PSYCHO all benefit greatly from her presence as well. I'd much rather Reese get the cash than Diaz.

11. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I don't like Reese, to bubble headed for me to deal with.

12. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

Holy hell, how could I forget that scene!

You, sir, are 100% correct. :lol:

13. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Chick flicks and crap aside she's been in a number of films I really enjoy such as Pleasantville, S.F.W. and Freeway. And I thought she was great in Walk The Line. Who cares what Hollywood wants to give her? All they give us is crap.

14. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Witherspoon's publicist was on Access Hollywood and said that Reese isn't making $29 million for the movie and that these reports are all wrong. So, either her publicist is being clever and she will actually be making more than that (possible), or Reese will have to make do with a few less millions.

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Reese is great. I've liked most of the movies I've seen her in (LB2 was lousy though). I can't see anyone deserving 29 million for a movie and don't see how they'll ever make the money back on a horror flick when you add in production costs, but that being said I'd rather see Reese making that kind of money over most other actresses going these days.

I doubt I'll watch the movie though. I'm not too into the possession genre.

16. How about that, she's an OSCAR winner now. She took home the best actress oscar last night. I don't duobt she's worth more than $25 mil a movie right now (though I believe that is absolutely ludicrous!!!)

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Her acceptance speech smelled like Sally Field to me; not what she was saying but how she was saying it. Maybe it was the pitch. Anyway, good for her.

18. Marclar

Marclar Member

This saddens me. I really enjoy seeing new films with all unfamiliar faces and this applies to all films, not just horror. This Hollywood hipe that is all about hot actors is destroying the art...People are forgetting that its not about the actors but the roles they are playing (just look at Ocean's 12...can it be any worse). Hopefully the St Andreas fault will crack off the coas of California and take all the famous overpaid stars out to the middle of the Pacific.

19. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yes but just because someone is a big star doesn't automatically make them a bad actor. I don't mind if the big star gets the part if they can do the job. Ocean's 11 I enjoyed, Ocean's 12 was garbage but it wasn't a victim of being made just for the stars, it was made because the first one made money.

It kind of makes me laugh that they pay these stars such huge amounts of money when I consider that I don't know anyone that goes to see a movie just because a certain star is in it. It might increase wanting to see a movie that already looks good if there's someone I like in it, but I won't go see a movie that looks horrible just because of an actor.

20. Crazy Ralph

Crazy Ralph Guest

hmmmmm....

Why do we all rag on professional athletes for making so much money? They make chump change compared to this!