Re-Animator questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Rene, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Rene

Rene Guest

Hi, just got my Elite-DVD today, right have some questions about it... maybe you know the answers, thanks :)

1. Oops, why have they made the corners of the cover-picture "round" ? Just wondering simce I didn´t see such yet on any other DVDs...
    2. Horrordvds.com´s Re-Animator review sounds like the picture quality is great/very good, but on my disc it´s not so good. I wouldn´t wonder since this edition is a few years old (although the disc is "new"), but was there another Elite-DVD with a better picture before ?
    3. The menue structure seems a little bit mixed up and doesn´t make it easy to navigate around. One problem I have is to start the "Dream Sequence", I never get more than the text... how can I access/start the scene itself if there is no button to click on ?

2. skycruiser

skycruiser Guest

As far as I know Elite is not still making this DVD. Did you win this in an auction? If not where did you buy it from? That might possibly have something to do with it?

3. I could always start the Dream Sequence fine. Don't you just press enter (not on any specific button) or just right arrow?

I traded my copy of Re-Animator a couple of weeks ago, so can't check.

And skycruiser, it's available RIGHT NOW IN STOCK here at Tower Records. Enjoy.

4. skycruiser

skycruiser Guest

Thanks for the tip Narshty. But before I run off and buy it, what was the reason you traded yours in? Heh. Is there a new edition coming out? (a la Suspira) or did this DVD just suck?

5. I just got it because it was rare...then discovered I didn't think the film was all that great.

Traded it for Goldfinger and Shaft (the original).

6. The disc is SUPERB, by the way, in every respect. There's commentary on the trailers also.

7. Anchor Bay is putting out a new version later this year, I believe. Elite recently re-released it because of popular demand, I believe, and of course I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. Then, mere days later, the announcment was made of the AB version. So you may want to wait, if you can.

And the disc is fantastic.

8. vroberts

vroberts New Member

I also picked up this disc a couple days ago. And for around 25 bucks, this will be a good DVD to hold you over until Anchor Bay puts it out in a tin or something. Im pretty sure the corners are supposed to be rounded, there is no insert. The picture quality was good but had problems with excessive grain in a few of the scenes. Anyway, the extras alone are worth the price, not to mention that the movie is the un-rated version. Also check out the Bride of Re-Animator disc (in print), it's packed with extras as well.

9. laserdogg

laserdogg Member

For the moment, this isn't a very rare disc. My Best Buy got about 25 copies in a week or so ago. They are alittle overpriced at 29.95, however.

10. skycruiser

skycruiser Guest

Ahh ok so it seems that this was re-released. Finally! I did go ahead and purchase a copy from Tower however (as Amazon and so many other places didn't have it yet)

I will most likley get the tin as well... but I just don't want to wait. It's been so long since I have seen it, and who can ever get enough of Jeffrey Combs!

11. piggwinn

piggwinn Guest

I have had "Re-animator" for a good while now, and have to say it is an exellent disc. A little dark in places, if you wanted to be really fussy.
    I don't understand why the corners have been cropped on the cover, the copy I have is like any other disc.
    Perhaps they have changed the re-issue?

12. Rene

Rene Guest

Hi. Back from checking/watching the DVD again. By the way, I didn´t "win" it and auctions aren´t my thing usually. A few weeks ago I read how rare this disc is and so I ordered it when I saw CDNOW had it for $24. Was curious and looked at some auctions today, strangely there are a lot of it listed but they still are trying to turn people into bidding by saying "very rare, almost impossible to get!" and want up to $90 for one, that´s crazy. I was finally able to play the "Dream Sequence" today (not uninteresting), although it would have helped me if Elite would have given the menues some "Play" and "Back to..." buttons, also some chapter-menues seem to be missing (?). The director´s commetary is interesting, but the other commentary I would entitle as "The silence of the Cast" since they say only one or two words every 10 minutes (or the track doesn´t work). As for the quality, I can´t help myself, but I would say it´s not much better than early Video-CDs were - the picture is unsharp, very noisy and has some flimmering effects... don´t know if it´s only my disc, could it be the re-release was mastered from the original DVD release (wild idea) and lost the quality that way ? It´s still watchable and the extras are nice, so I´ll keep it since I´m not sure if my disc is "okay" and sending it back to the USA would be too troublesome. Anybody got the re-release AND the original release to compare both DVD versions ? ;)

13. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

It is not a re-release. They just ran another pressing. The AB release will be a rerelease. There should be NO quality diffences between runs. You either have a bad disc or your player is just choking on it. Some low end players have problems with some discs.

14. Darkman

Darkman Guest

Does anybody have further details about the upcoming Anchor Bay edition?