Psycho II

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

Anyone here likes Psycho II better than the original? It doesn't follow the typical horror sequel and the plot has a lot of twists and turns with a "shocking" ending. I really hope Psycho II will get a Blu-Ray release soon, hopefully with some bonus features this time.

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Better than the original? I wouldn't go that far, but it is one of my favorite sequels from a horror franchise!

3. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I really liked this sequel but I can't say that it topped the original. The first Psycho almost has this untouchable vibe too it, which is why the remake failed. It just didn't have the same magic. But that being said I would second a vote to get Psycho II on blu-ray.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

It's a fun film that I enjoy. Better then the Original? Lets not get carried away.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Wow. I've never heard anyone say that they liked a Psycho sequel more than the original. I agree with the others that while it was a very good movie in it's own right, Psycho II doesn't top the original.

6. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Yeah, I agree that it doesn't come close to surpassing the original but it does accomplish the near impossible in making a descent, well written and highly entertaining sequel to a classic and iconic genre masterpiece.

7. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I think the sequels "as a whole" I would prefer over the original. Film by film, the original is tops. Psycho II is an interesting film in its own right and holds up quite well compared, and compared to other horror films at the time it has a special vibe for an 80's film. It becomes almost a seperate series, to be honest.

8. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Ahh. Yes. Psycho II. "The one with the shovel". Just awesome. So, yes. I'll be the first. Psycho II is better than the original! The second sequel is pretty great also!

Just as a related question. Does anyone know what's going on with the movie House at the End of the Street?

It was supposed to be to Psycho, what Disturbia was to Rear Window...

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I enjoy Psycho II, but it does drag in spots. They could have shaved maybe 20 minutes off it.

10. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I love Psycho II and miss Meg Tilly. She was brilliant at vulnerability.

11. MacReady

MacReady New Member

Has a great twist at the end, didnt see that coming.

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Meg Tilly was great in this, as was Anthony Perkins.
    It's one of the best sequels ever IMO, but it does not top the original for me. The first Psycho was one of the rare occasions where I had read all the hype and still had my expectations surpassed.
    It's an iconic film that alongside Bava's Bay Of Blood and Clarke's Black Christmas pretty much set the bar for slasher films to come.

13. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

really liked psycho 2.... good movie.. it was shot in the summer of 1982.. and released in June of 83..and if i recall it did pretty good at the box office that summer..

14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I can't place it higher than the benchmark setting original but it's WAY better than anyone should have suspected it would be.I'm very fond of it.Director Richard Franklin (Rest In Peace) actually attended guest lectures given by Hitchcock when he was studying filmmaking,so he learned from the best !

16. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Making a sequel to Psycho so many years down the road was a really dumb idea. Belated sequels are almost always a losing proposition. And Psycho is obviously a landmark film. But Psycho II is a really enjoyable flick--much, much better than it has any right to be. Richard Franklin's admirable restraint serves the film well. And Tony Perkins gives a very strong, committed performance. But let's not get carried away. It doesn't measure up to the original in any way, shape, or form.

Do you guys really like the ending? I think it's ludicrous and totally unnecessary. I'm sure the final shot of Perkins standing in front of the house was part of the pitch that sold the film. But I really think the effectiveness of the film is undermined by the twist and the goofiness of the kitchen scene.

I still really enjoy the film.

17. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I liked the twist, it explained why his "mother" treated him the way she did (well besides the scizophenia). Not only that but I was totally routing for Norman in this one. The guy just needs a break.

18. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I like all the Psycho sequals better than the original. They're way more fun to me, especially Psycho 3. I wouldn't give up my Psycho 2-3-4 triple feature DVD for anything.

19. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I liked all of the Psycho films they all have their place & are special in their own way but then I may one of the only people who got a kick out of the Bates Motel tv movie (ducks & waits for the backlash).

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This made me show PSYCHO 2 to my roommate who has never seen it before. He knows well the original as he has seen it many times. He loved it. I did too since I have not seen it since about 1984. The DVD looks very good. I absolutely loved the score, too. It holds up just fine.
    I saw Psycho 3 only once in 1986 but I never took to it. I think it's because it was at a drive-in and the screen was really dark, the image was fuzzy and there was all sorts of background light around the screen (this was the biggest problem with the drive-in in Reno - the screens with their rear sides toward the direction of downtown's neon gambling playground made for a horrid drive-in experience).