prince of darkness

Discussion in 'General' started by marcx, Dec 23, 2002.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Like asking to pick your favorite flavor of ice cream. Sure you could probably pick one, but you'd probably feel deprived if you didn't switch to another flavor now and again.

If I had to choose, I'll take my ice cream dark and royal.

2. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Thanks, dude! SOM are one of my all-time favs.

3. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

I haven't seen Prince of Darkness, but it has always struck me that these two films are the ones that people use as proof that Carpenter's output suddenly dropped off in quality. Which is garbage, really, 'cause In the Mouth of Madness is wicked.

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

They both showed the cracks in the foundation, IMO. That the gas tank was running on fumes at that point, and the tank was empty after that.

I think both films are extremely good, but you can also see elements in them that the pure magic days of Escape From New York, The Fog, The Thing were drawing to a close. Both Mouth of Madness and Prince of Darkness skated the edge enough that just a few quality slip ups could have made them total crap, an edge Carpenter's earlier films were well clear of. IMO this has much to do with their "love them or hate them" reputation. Carpenter's later films didn't scate that edge, they streaked right over it.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Prince of Darkness is SUCH a pile of crap. Almost nothing about this movie worked. In fact, I can count what did (or what impressed me) on one hand. 1- the long opening credits sequence, 2- the bicycle impalement death scene, 3- Jameson Parker's shirtless scenes, 4- ... I think that's about it.

The cast are the biggest bunch of faceless, personality-free nobodies I've ever seen in a movie. Just like The Thing, this is clearly a Bodycount Movie, and the cast's uselessness and forgetability proves it.

Donald Pleasence is great, I admit, in general. He was a much welcomed addition to Halloween II and Argento's Phenomena. But here, very much like Victor Wong, he is tiring and not used well. They were clearly cast, very much like Alice Cooper was, just to stand there and get a lot of people to go- "wow, look: it's Donald Pleasence, Alice Cooper, and that guy from (the much better) Tremors."

The one-liners... Please tell me when John Carpenter secretly mastered the comedy genre- because that Asian wisecrack is one of the most annoying characters I've ever been exposed to. Which means now we have to identify with the women he insults or propositions, who are strangely enough given less to do and less screentime than this moron. This film draws too many similarities to the Nightmare on Elm Street series by the end of it, and Freddy could crack a line way better than anything here.

Next: don't freaking tell me I sat through a 101 minute movie about... Satan? All I saw were people spitting in each others' mouths, a scarred girl writhing around on a bed (which worked much better in The Exorcist), and people walking around covered in bugs. Are you people actually saying the director was taking this shit seriously? Or... just you all?

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Tremors? Man, I really don't think Victor Wong was cast because he was in Tremors (for one very obvious reason. Can you guess what it could be?).

If you're a John Carpenter fan, then you can't fault the casting. JC has a penchant for reusing actors for multiple films and Prince of Darkness is no exception: Donald Pleasence, Victor Wong, Dennis Dun, Susan Blanchard, Dirk Blocker, Peter Jason, and Robert Grasmere all were either in earlier Carpenter films or appeared in his next film, THEY LIVE.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I knew someone was going to jump on that. But I only realized after I hit the Reply button (a common fuck-up with me). John Carpenter knew Wong would move on to bigger and better things. I won't say he doesn't have psychic powers. Hell, he made crappy movies for... it's been decades now (post 1981) and people worship him. He doesn't have to do anything ever again. So, his talent was in casting to know who people would consider talented.

And Tremors still whoops the pants off of PoD.

8. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I just watched this again, and this film has really aged well ! When I first saw it I didn't think much of it, but after several repeat viewings it has become one of my favorite Carpenter films. I would have loved to see a sequel to this that would further explore the "Brotherhood of Sleep" and those weird dream transmissions everybody was receiving.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Not being the biggest fan of this film after watching it a couple of times. I decided to give it another shot since I haven't seen it in a few years. Well my opinion has now completely taken a 180. I'm not sure if I didn't really pay attention the first couple of times or I wasn't in the right mood but this is a very intelligent film which tackles some pretty heavy themes. While the characters are very 80's the film has a very creepy undertone to it. Add this to films I shouldn't have written off.

10. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

PoD = 1987
    Tremors = 1990 ;)

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Prince of Darkness scared the beehoobies outta me in '87 at the theater. I was seriously freaked out.
    Watching it again, recently, I sold off my DVD. That movie is so gloomy and creepy that I just can't watch it again at leisure.
    With other people, sure. But NOT alone.

12. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

This is the only movie I couldn't watch as a child because I was scared just by looking at the VHS cover (I rented it, but then there it was, that creepy man with is mouth open and those roaches...I even felt physically ill). I rented tons of horror movies as a child, but still don't know why this image (the movie art work) got so into me. Then when I remembered about this episode in my childhood, I go googling about what POD was about...some green slime, that is supposed to be Satan?? This is what I was scared about, green slime?. Either way, I watched the movie, found it pretty good, had some real scary scenes, really good Carpenter film.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I liked it when it came out and I like it a little more each time I see it.It shows a lot of influence from the British writer Nigel Kneale (QUATERMASS),his THE STONE TAPE especially.I like it's mix of science and religion and it's doom laden atmosphere.The fadeout works well too.
    Was there ever a soundtrack CD released,some good music in this one ?

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

One of these movies that I hope will someday get to me the way it seems to get to all of you (Session 9 is another one)

This one I do own, maybe someday it will "work" for me

15. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

POD is one of my TOP 10 horror movies. Check my avatar. :)

16. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

I've loved this movie forever , think it is very good, moving and interesting :)

I recommend it too friends but get mixed responses, this thread may seem to explain that

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

If you want to get in the right frame of mind to rewatch it. Give a listen to episode 85 of the Horroretc podcast. It's the second in a three part pretrospective on John Carpenter. They will really put me in the mood to give it another shot.

http://www.horroretc.com/Episodes 81-85.html

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  18. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I enjoyed it...especially the "WTF" ending! But I agree that Carpenter's films have been on a downhill slide. "Ghosts of Mars" was praticially painful to watch.

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Thanks for that link! Really interesting and I can actually stand these guys compared to a lot of other podcasts.

20. grodd

grodd New Member

A great movie. Carpenters most underrated film. There is also an alternate TV cut where it suggests everything was a dream.