Planet Terror (2007) Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by SaxCatz, Mar 25, 2010.

1. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

This disc came in the mail from Amazon Tuesday night. I was very excited to get ahold of it as I really enjoyed this film and had just been waiting for it to hit a price point that met the WAF- $9.99 happened to be it.
    The original version of the move looks great and I was very pleased that the MACHETE trailer was attached. The only thing that detracts from the image quality is the digital nature of the "scratches" and other film damage- thanks to the higher resolution of Blu-Ray, there are many time where you can easily tell that the scratches and other damage are not real and have been added digitally. This was not a problem for me when viewing the SD version of the film.
    I actually think that audio presentation on the TrueHD track is even better than the video presentation. The gritty theme in the films introduction REALLY comes alive and screams "70S!" on the HD audio track!
    The most interesting feature of the film it the "scratch-free" version of the film. Of course, this is not the best way to view the film and is not as it was intended to be presented, but it does look AMAZING (I had assumed that this movie was shot on 16mm or 35mm, but from the over the top sharpness and clarity of many scene in the "scratch-free" version, I now must assume that it was shot in HD or 4K digital) and definitely worth a one-time watch for any fan of the film. The strange aspect to this special feature is this- even in the scratch free version there are several times where, just for a moment, scratches, skips and jumps in the "film" can still be seen. There are also two scene which are still presented in their "scratched up" versions. Since the scratches and film damage were added digitally in post-production, I had assumed that they would just use the original digital master of the film before the film-damage was inserted in (I also assume that the film damage was the last thing done in post-production- that would be the most accurate way to present the film as a real damaged film would be a complete product, special-effect and all, that had then weathered years or use or improper storage) but the presence of these anomalies listed about almost makes me think that they instead, somehow, digitall "reversed" the process. I would be curious as to if anyone here knows the details!
    All in all though, again, I have to recommend this disc to any fans of the film- especially while you can still pick up the Blu from Amazon for $9.99!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I love both of the Grindhouse segments but I keep holding off on buying the Blu-rays just in case the special edition will include the extended versions. I hear it might not include them but does anyone know for sure?

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Not sure what's coming out later, but I checked this disc out from the library and tried the "scratch-free" version, amazing looking. I keep holding off on buying it as well in hopes of a definitive set later.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I held off on picking these up (Along with the Kill Bill flicks) for a while as well, but eventually just gave in when I found them for the right price. They all look amazing on Blu, and considering that the more successful Kill Bill series hasn't even been released in an ultimate set yet, I have a feeling Grindhouse won't be coming for some time.

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I found the scratch free version to be the superior version of the film, and it revealed so many details that I hadn't noticed before. It actually made me like the film better.

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I gave up on waiting for the "ultimate" set a long time ago. I was tired of not having these films to enjoy and also wanted to see the longer, Directors' preferred versions.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I still want the theatrical version too, but I gotta take exception to your choice of "directors' preferred version". Tarantino and Rodriguez always knew these films were going to be part of a double feature, to be shown together. I really don't think the films were trimmed down against their wishes.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well I know for a fact that Tarantino has been quoted as saying the longer version of Death Proof is "his" Death Proof and that he basically acted like a greedy, inconsiderate producer/distributor would when editing the shorter version. I was probably jumping the gun with Rodriguez, though.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I just recently bought these films on blu-ray in a boxed set with Sin City. Love the films, especially Death Proof. It's always interesting to see which scores Tarantino took from other films. One that jumps out in particular is when one of the characters is texting her boyfriend and the theme from Blow Out comes on. It was so campy I loved it. Solid flick.

~Matt

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I love that part, as well as the scene where Russell is taking pictures of the girls and part of the score for Bird with the Crystal Plumage is playing. I can't remember if that part was left out of the theatrical version or not.