Penny Dreadful - Showtime series

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, May 21, 2014.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Disappointed the show & it's cast members had zero nominations in this years Emmys. Would have thought Eva Green would have gotten a nod at least.

Lizzy Caplan, “Masters of Sex”

Claire Danes, “Homeland”

Michelle Dockery, “Downton Abbey”

Julianna Margulies, “The Good Wife”

Kerry Washington, “Scandal”

Robin Wright, “House of Cards”

Come on, there's at least 2 there that Eva Green could have replaced.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Had to give this a bump.

Seriously? Nobody watching this show? It's freakin fantastic imho. Third season is off to a bang so far. Renfield, Jekyll ... love it, love it.

Seriously can't believe this thread isn't more traveled. So much to talk about given that the show has all the elements of the classic Universal monsters. but with a new twist. Not the usual twist that one my think. This is a very mature, well written show not in the light of some Twilight type version of vampires, werewolves, etc... that have saturated the industry over the years. Everything about the show(so far) is upper level. From the sets, to the clothing, to the acting. Everything.

I still stand by my first reaction to the first episode:

"The ending scene in the first episode is imo one the better recreations of a familiar story that we all know. I don't know how they did it but it was freaky, scary, and dare I say oddly beautiful all rolled into one."

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'll watch anything starring Eva Green. That said, I gave up on this show after only a few episodes. It just didn't hold my interest. I'll give it another go. Perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I first started watching it.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I really want to see this - but dont have showtime and already paying for HBO to get my GoT - Maybe Ill get Showtime temporarily to watch - or if the blu rays are cheap enough in a sale just pick em up blind buy- I love Eva Green <:

5. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

We just started watching this - two episodes in so far. I readily admit that I'm in the camp of people who are waiting for it to pick up.

The atmosphere and look of the series is fantastic. The premise as a whole is excellent. But so far there just seems to be an endless amount of talking and very little movement. Granted, I'm somewhat (read: very) ADHD and cannot stand to listen to people ramble. I also understand that most times, a good amount of dialogue is necessary to establish the characters, etc. But since I'm visual and abstract as a person, too much talking usually ends up being a detriment for me.

Also, Eva Green = yes. But I'm having some problems "buying" Josh Hartnett. No matter what I see him in, I can't shake the image of the burnout teenager in The Faculty.

I'm sticking with it for now and I hope it starts taking off because I really want to like it.

6. othervoice1

Yea this is on my watch list - but sucks it was cancelled after only three seasons - but since I didnt subscribe and watch it I am part of the problem aren't I?

7. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

It wasn't cancelled, the story was over, and yes this is a fucking kick ass show and Eva Green is Hot Hot Hot! can't wait for the Target Exclusive BD for Season 3 now.

8. othervoice1

The couple articles I read on it said it was actually cancelled because there were new characters and a storyline to continue- but I also see where it is mentioned that supposedly it was to end at season 3- so who knows. I didnt read the whole articles as I wanted to avoid any spoilers. Either way they knew it was going to end before they finished season 3 so I'm sure I wont be as bummed as I was at the end of Carnivale on HBO years ago where you could tell it was rushed and it left the story still pretty wide open and begging for another season. And yes Eva Green is awesome

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I've been watching an episode a day recently. I stopped and I'm going to buy the full show for cheap when it hopefully goes on sale during the holidays. From the first half of season 1, the show seems great and worth owning.